A Halloween Adventure in Autism (11/7) Prayer Request for Catie (p.129)

:sad1: Kathy your writing always touches me, I have told you that for years, but this has tears streaming down my face. You are so wonderful to share your story with all of us, I knew it already, but reading about the "Monster" really explains how it is for your family.

I would like to repost this on Enchanted with your permisson, or if you could I would be forever grateful. Awareness is the key to helping families that are touched by Autism.

Now that I have tears streaming down my face... "Luckily" I was interrupted half way through reading this because I had to go wipe Alex's bottom. Otherwise I'd be a blubbering mess!

Very beautifully written Kathy! I agree with everything you said 100%!! We spread out Zach's vaccinations and that is very likely the reason why his symptoms are so much less severe than Alex's.

We just finally got Alex his measles booster and I was horrified to find out that they don't make it in a single dose vaccine anymore. They had to hunt one down for us. Schools don't even require a second mumps or rubella, but apparently it's easier and cheaper to just give them an MMR. :confused3 Makes no sense to me!!

Another recommendation I can make to new parents is to take the time to have blood drawn before giving your child a booster. It may be uncomfortable for the child, but it may also mean that they don't even need the shot! They may already be immune from the first shot. Zachary didn't have to a measles booster - his blood showed he developed immunity from just one dose and that is acceptable by school standards. :thumbsup2

Thank you for putting such an important issue into words and making it so personal. :hug:

What a beautifully written post. I love that picture of Billy. :hug:

It really puzzles me why more research isn't being done about an illness that strikes so many children. When my first born was a baby, her pediatrician dismissed my concerns about autism and vaccinations. Why don't doctors listen to parents concerns? When Ethan was a baby and was having difficulties eating solid foods and was anemic because of it I had to seek information from someone at the health department. A lactation consultant was more interested in my concerns than that Doctor was.

Hopefully, one day we will have answers.

:sad1: Kathy your writing always touches me, I have told you that for years, but this has tears streaming down my face. You are so wonderful to share your story with all of us, I knew it already, but reading about the "Monster" really explains how it is for your family.

I would like to repost this on Enchanted with your permisson, or if you could I would be forever grateful. Awareness is the key to helping families that are touched by Autism.

Thank you, Tracy! :hug:

I posted under Disability Topics...

Now that I have tears streaming down my face... "Luckily" I was interrupted half way through reading this because I had to go wipe Alex's bottom. Otherwise I'd be a blubbering mess!

Very beautifully written Kathy! I agree with everything you said 100%!! We spread out Zach's vaccinations and that is very likely the reason why his symptoms are so much less severe than Alex's....

Thank you for putting such an important issue into words and making it so personal. :hug:

Saved by the heinie wipe! :rotfl:

:hug: to you...

It really puzzles me why more research isn't being done about an illness that strikes so many children. When my first born was a baby, her pediatrician dismissed my concerns about autism and vaccinations. Why don't doctors listen to parents concerns?

Autism scares pediatricians to death... they are terrified that parents will blame them for their children's disability and sue.

That is why more research isn't being done... the American Medical Association blocks it. And when research findings from other countries are presented, they dismiss them as "inconclusive." Docs stick together to protect themselves... plain and simple.

And thanks... I love that picture, too! :goodvibes

Kathy

Ooohh, Kathy :hug:

Just think, Billy was one of the luckier ones. He can communicate verbally with you (although not at the level that Tricia can), and he has made leaps and bounds, especially since that first fateful trip to WDW. So many other children with ASD can't communicate with their loved ones at all, and certainly some of them aren't nearly at the level that Billy is at. Doing my Health Education project on Autism really helped me to further understand what it's all about, not to mention how common it is, or how it's rapidly growing.

Billy is such a special little boy, and he clearly loves WDW with all of his heart!

Thanks for sharing that incredibly moving story...:sad1:
My own DS missed his first month's shots, and got them all at two months, though it didn't seem like a lot at the time...
However, I couldn't love my DS any more, and I give thanks for him and his quirky outlook on life every (most ;)) days, as I'm sure you do Billy :grouphug: :)

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing this.

Do you mind if I share the link to this post with an online message board I'm a member of?

We have about 100 members, all moms.

And... My son followed the regular immunization schedule - but he had bacterial meningitis as a newborn. He spent 21 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics - and my mom and I have always wondered if that was his "trigger". My son is very mild on the Autism Spectrum, but it still impacts our lives (and his life) every single day.

:grouphug::flower3::lovestruc

You are such an amazing writer... so beautifully eloquent. Thank you for your words. I wish we could spread them all over the web.

Thank you for sharing your story and sharing Billy with us. I would so love to meet him (and you) some day. :)

....Doing my Health Education project on Autism really helped me to further understand what it's all about, not to mention how common it is, or how it's rapidly growing.

Billy is such a special little boy, and he clearly loves WDW with all of his heart!

Yes, WDW is a magical place for him! :goodvibes

I'm glad that you chose that topic for your project... it couldn't be more timely. And congrats again for getting into the NHS!!

Thanks for sharing that incredibly moving story...:sad1:
My own DS missed his first month's shots, and got them all at two months, though it didn't seem like a lot at the time...
However, I couldn't love my DS any more, and I give thanks for him and his quirky outlook on life every (most ;)) days, as I'm sure you do Billy :grouphug: :)

Hello, and :welcome:

I am especially grateful that Billy loves hugs and physical affection. :hug: :love1: It would kill me if he didn't...

While I pray every day for him to be cured, I have accepted that he is who he is and I just love the stuffin' out of him!! :lovestruc

Kathy

Yes, WDW is a magical place for him! :goodvibes

I'm glad that you chose that topic for your project... it couldn't be more timely. And congrats again for getting into the NHS!!

Hello, and :welcome:

I am especially grateful that Billy loves hugs and physical affection. :hug: :love1: It would kill me if he didn't...

While I pray every day for him to be cured, I have accepted that he is who he is and I just love the stuffin' out of him!! :lovestruc

Kathy
As soon as I heard my teacher mention the topic choice of Autism, I jumped right on it, thinking first of my mom, who, as you know works with children who have ASD, and secondly of Billy. Mom and I are doing an Autism Awareness Walk at the end of the month as well :)

And thanks! I get "inducted" on April 14, and I'll be sure to post pics on my PTR!

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing this.

Do you mind if I share the link to this post with an online message board I'm a member of?

We have about 100 members, all moms.

Not at all!

And... My son followed the regular immunization schedule - but he had bacterial meningitis as a newborn. He spent 21 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics - and my mom and I have always wondered if that was his "trigger". My son is very mild on the Autism Spectrum, but it still impacts our lives (and his life) every single day.

:grouphug::flower3::lovestruc

Its the wondering and the not knowing that is the hardest, I think.

But its important for me not to get too stuck on the "what ifs." That can't be healthy...

But a tiny part of me will always wonder, "what if..."

You are such an amazing writer... so beautifully eloquent. Thank you for your words. I wish we could spread them all over the web.

Thank you for sharing your story and sharing Billy with us. I would so love to meet him (and you) some day. :)

I would love to meet you, too! :goodvibes Thanks for reading and posting!

Kathy

I just wanted to let you know that what you wrote is amazing. It's so true and I love the way you express the reality of Autism.You are an amazing lady, and Billy is so lucky to have you! =]

Kathy - I laugh through your trip reports and I'm honored that you chose to share your story with us. I laughed and I cried while I was reading your families story.

You are a gifted writer.

As soon as I heard my teacher mention the topic choice of Autism, I jumped right on it, thinking first of my mom, who, as you know works with children who have ASD, and secondly of Billy. Mom and I are doing an Autism Awareness Walk at the end of the month as well :)

And thanks! I get "inducted" on April 14, and I'll be sure to post pics on my PTR!

:thumbsup2 and :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I just wanted to let you know that what you wrote is amazing. It's so true and I love the way you express the reality of Autism.You are an amazing lady, and Billy is so lucky to have you! =]

Thank you!

But, I'm just a mom...

Kathy - I laugh through your trip reports and I'm honored that you chose to share your story with us. I laughed and I cried while I was reading your families story.

You are a gifted writer.

Thank you!

I'm happy to have such friendly readers, like you!

:hug::hug::hug:

Thank you Kathy. :flower3:

Right back atcha, Sara!

Well said Kathy... and so scary. I pray that the answers to autism come soon.

It will take lots and lots of prayer, Laura, that's for sure! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading...

Kathy

Good night, all!

In deference to Good Friday, I will not be on the DIS tomorrow.

I look forward to reading all your comments on Saturday!

Sweet Disney Dreams....

Kathy

Very touching story, kathy! I haven't read ANYONE'S comments between here and your post, but I can tell you that my own son (you already know this) is also on the spectrum. Also, having gone "wonky" after a large set of 15 month vaccines. Why would a child suddenly start flinging himself backwards on hardwood floor to bonk his head over and over?? Start flapping arms?? Become obsessive??

I can't help but to think, also, that that fateful trip to the ped. had something to do with it.

Thanks for your beautiful writing! And the chance to get us thinking!

Thank you for sharing with us, Kathy, it was very touching.:grouphug:

Although my kids are older I will suggest to others (like my niece who just had a baby) spacing out vaccinations. I had never heard that before but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing that with those of us who had no idea...

Love that picture of Billy...he is precious!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter