A Halloween Adventure in Autism (11/7) Prayer Request for Catie (p.129)

Thanks to some phenomenal friends, I will be staying at Kidani in December before and after my cruise - even though I've stayed at AKL before, you have gotten me very excited about the pool area. I hope the weather cooperates and we can hit the slide... of course, I'll be thinking of Billy the entire ride - I tend to FLY down water slides uncontrolably...

So do you think our group can slow down enough to hang at the pool for an afternoon? :rotfl: The most I saw of AKL in December is when we ate at Boma for breakfast.

:lmao:

Jaimie, you will love Samawati Springs... just watch out for the drinks at Maji!!

Kathy

I got to see Samawati Springs in May. It was really cool.

Chapter Nine:We’re Gonna Party Like it’s 999 (Happy Haunts!)

disneytrip2009kathy1789-2.jpg

(Tiggerbell, do the rings look familiar?)

disneytrip2009kathy1790-1.jpg

Back down Main Street we all went. But it was a good opportunity to see some of the things we missed the first time!

disneytrip2009kathy1793.jpg

disneytrip2009kathy1792.jpg

See all the Jack 'o Lanterns?

disneytrip2009catie1016-1.jpg

All of a sudden, Billy grabbed my hand and said, “Mom, I’m hungry!” Ed chimed in and said that he was feeling hungry, too. I realized that it would be a good idea to grab dinner before the main dinner rush started, and since hot dogs are one of the few foods Billy will eat, we conveniently ducked right into Casey’s. (Pardon the pun…you know how Disney birds just love to hang out there!)

disneytrip2009kathy1794.jpg

Now I had read in several trip reports that the hot dogs at Casey’s had been changed, but at the time I had completely forgotten. (Somehow I think that in my state of euphoria only half my brain cells were firing that evening!) Ed took Billy to find seats while the girls and I procured the food. There were about a half-dozen people in front of us and the line was moving slowly. Thankfully, no issues arose with our dining plan and we were soon carrying our trays and looking for the boys. They had camped out at a little table next to the bleachers in the back so that Billy could watch cartoons. Good call! I was not looking forward to being stalked by dozens of hungry birds…

We all squeezed in around the tiny table and I made some room by laying out napkins, putting the food down, and sending Tricia to get rid of the trays. Then I passed out the wet wipes and had everyone wash their hands. I must bring about ten packages of these to Disney! :laughing: Then I opened Billy’s hot dog and realized the change. I held my breath. Would Billy eat it? His autism makes him extremely picky about what he will eat. I covered his white shirt with a bunch of napkins while Ed put ketchup on the hot dog. Our eyes met and I could tell he was thinking the same thing. He gave the hot dog to Billy and told him to “dig in, boy!”

Billy held the hot dog up to his nose and sniffed it suspiciously. He frowned and looked at it closely. He turned it over in the bun and sniffed it again. Then he put it down and began to eat his French fries. The girls had already begun to eat their hot dogs and Tricia started saying, “This bun is weird…” but immediately held herself in check when Ed sent her a look, nodded toward her brother and mouthed, “Shut up!” Then he turned to Billy and told him that he had to eat his hot dog and not just his fries.

“No hot dog!” he answered emphatically.

“Yes, hot dog!” his father replied firmly. Ed is a zealous member of the You-Must-Clean-Your-Plate Club.

“No hot dog!” Billy said again, loudly.

“YES, HOT DOG!”

Seeing that he was outmatched, Billy took a little nibble of the hot dog, followed by another. Soon he was eating it normally, but we all had fallen quiet since Ed had become a bit irritated during this altercation. We really needed a tension-breaker and at that very moment, in walked two people dressed up as a bottle of mustard and a bottle of ketchup! They looked around and, seeing that all the tables were taken, sat themselves down on the bleachers and began to eat their hot dogs.

Well.

Tricia and Catie thought it was hysterical and began to laugh…hard. Then, who should come along to join them but a giant hot dog and an order of fries! :rotfl: The entire room was laughing now and the condiments waved to the crowd while their partners settled down and began to eat…hot dogs and French fries!

“That’s a little creepy if you think about it,” said Catie.

“Yeah, it’s like they’re cannibals or something,” replied Tricia.

I wonder what they all thought about the new buns at Casey’s. Personally, I was sorry that I hadn’t listened to Brook and ordered the corn dog nuggets. Ah well, there’s always next time! We got ourselves cleaned up, left Casey’s and set out to visit our brother pirates’ underground lair…​

Kathy

Kathy, did your ring light up? Jaime's doorknob light up. :rotfl:

You guys looked Awesome!

I love the Halloween store displays. At night when they were light up they looks really great.

Were the buns at Casey's anything like the cardboard they use for hamburger buns? I hate that you can't choose which buns you want. I'm glad Ed got Billy to eat his Hotdog. I have a feeling I won't be trying the hotdogs anytime soon. It is a shame that they are changing the food, and not for the better in some cases.
I was cracking about the Mustard and Ketchup costumes. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

The rings were, most assuredly, the adjustable-turn-your-finger-green kind!! :rotfl:

And thank you for the compliment, but it is undeserved. :rolleyes1 I actually gained back the weight I had lost a few months back. I'm gearing myself up for another go at it...

Kathy

I think your face looks thinner than in some of the older pictures. You look great. :thumbsup2

Thanks, Brook!

(And thank you to everyone who took the time to post advice!) :grouphug:

I will admit that I had a tough time falling asleep last night because I could not get my brain to shut off! :laughing:
And all for a trip that is two years away!!

Oh, I've got it bad...

Let me tell you what I'm thinking so far:

First, although August is so very tempting because of the extra days we could have with our DVC points, I must be completely honest with myself: Unlike many people who say they can handle it with rest, water, etc., I really do not do well in very hot, humid weather.

And (unfortunately) DVC Members do not qualify for Free Dining, so that possible perk is o-u-t, out. But we would still have to do battle with the FD crowds for our ADRs.

I have a little experience with the Florida heat. Our first WDW trip was in early September of '03, so I think I've got a good idea of what to expect. It was rough. Our second trip was in late January of '05 and I recall saying over and over, "Wow! Disney is so much better at 70 degrees than it is at 95!! Plus there was a hurricane threat during our September visit that caused us a good deal of concern.

So I'm thinking that August would really not be best. :sad2:

Ditto the heat and humidity issue for the last week of June... plus we have absolutely no wiggle room because Billy starts his summer program July 1st.

Meh.

I went back to the original plan of Presidents' Week. The weather in February would be sooo much nicer. BUT. Everyone keeps telling me that the crowds are pretty brutal.

Okay, I thought, I could probably work around crowds better than I could handle the heat. We would pay for it by reducing our number of days to the usual seven because of the increase in DVC points needed per night.

Still... I wasn't quite happy.

Sure, there was a better chance of good weather, but there was nothing going on that week. No Food & Wine, no Flower & Garden, no Halloween Party.... Just a whole lot of people in the parks. :crowded: Not that WDW isn't absolutely wonderful "AS IS".... it's just that it would be fun to have something extra. But, I would deal.

Then I began to think about how much older the kids would be by the time we got back to Disney. Billy will be thirteen and Tricia will be a month shy of sixteen!! :eek: And Eddie (DStepson) will be.... OMG... twenty-two, and a senior in college!! :faint: We barely get to see that much of him now that he is away at school and he has not been able to join us on our last few trips. And once he graduates....

Well, of course, he will be a grown man with a job, etc.

I realized in that moment
that this next Disney trip will most likely be the very last vacation that we would take together for a long, long time. :sad:

I decided that we had to plan our trip with Eddie, which means that I have to keep Eddie's school and work schedule in mind.

And that leaves me....

No other choice but....

To plan our next Disney Vacation for......

hohoho.gif
Christmas of 2011!!!
hohoho.gif

Do you think I am completely insane???

Kathy

Yes and no on Christmas. I would love to go at Christmas, but the crowds are crazy. I was thinking maybe in a few year a Christmas thru New Year's trip would be fun and nuts.

Kathy, I signed up for the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon relay with a friend. I will have to let you know how it goes. This will be my first race. It should be a great time.

I can't wait for your next update.​

hohoho.gif
Christmas of 2011!!!
hohoho.gif

Nope! :laughing: :goodvibes

I have the advantage of knowing how to tour the parks, plus, I've learned my lesson and now realize the importance of resort time. :thumbsup2

We also have the Guest Assistance Card to help Billy...

I'm thinking these Dates: December 26 - January 2

Oh, BTW, our wedding anniversary is December 31.
That's right.

New Year's Eve! :lovestruc

Exactly. You know how to tour the parks. That is the most important thing to avoid the crowds. It WILL be crowded. Our AK day was nuts-o! BUT, you will have a magical time if you know how to work it...which you do. The GAC will be handy that week (just as we found out my FIL being in a wheelchair was! I would much of rather him not to of had to have it and be medically OK...but, it did come in handy as well).

I will try to give detail on line waits, crowds, etc. in my TR for your research. I couldn't ever find a TR that covered this time from the past, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Please feel free to ask ANY questions. :goodvibes

Love that your anniversary is on NYE!! It will be wonderful and romantic!

I have to say I saw the WDW NYE fireworks live from someone streaming over the internet from the Poly and they were AMAZING!!

I WAS THERE! :yay::yay::yay: Did you see the crazy boys dancing and snging on the camera? :rotfl: They belong to MeMom here on the DIS!

Watching NYE fireworks from the Poly beach sounds great! I don't know if I would be able to brave a park on New Year's Eve!! :eek:

That is what we did....and it was a GREAT viewing spot and very comfortable. The Poly was hoppin'! It was a lot of fun!

I'm excited for you!!!!!!

Oh, I wish I could do just that! Unfortunately, the kids have school...blah...blah...blah! :rolleyes:

:(

What a bummer!

This is the first year that I realized that the schools up North stay in session up until very close to Christmas day. Here in the South, we always get out the Friday before Christmas and stay out for two weeks. I guess that is one of the ways the calendar gets adjusted since you don't start until after Labor Day.

Christmastime at Disney sounds perfect! :cloud9: And like you said...you are an experienced DISer...you have the knowledge and experience to know how to navigate the parks in a crowd and the sense to know when to just hang at the resort!

A big Woo-Hoo :woohoo: for Christmas with Mickey!

For a christmas freak like you, it sounds like a great idea.

Well color me REDand Green

Someone is going to the world over Christmas. It will be really pretty then and there are so many little extra things to see and do. Glad you made a decision you are happy with. Have fun planning!

I'm glad you were able to make a decision! Now you can make plans and just roll with it. We were there close to Christmas and I think it is such a magical place to enjoy the holidays with your family. :)

:santa:I think that sounds like a wonderful plan! :santa: We have taken several trips that started Jan. 1 or Jan. 2 and we have had a great time. I love all the Christmas Trees! Can't wait to read about your plans and celebrating your anniversary in Disney will be fabulous! You should go to a signature restaurant!:snooty:

Well, I just got my wish for a 2010 trip! Out of the blue, my hubby decided that we should go in October for my 40th birthday.

Did I know this, Shannon?? Cool beans!! So excited for you!! Too bad we'll miss you by only a month!! But we still have Nashville, right??

hohoho.gif
Christmas of 2011!!!
hohoho.gif

Kathy

WOOT!! So excited for you too, Kathy!! Very cool! You'll get to see the parks and resorts all glittered up with Disney bling, and have great weather!

No, you're not any more insane than the rest of us who obsess on their beds at night thinking various scenarios over! :dance3:

Kathy, did your ring light up? Jaime's doorknob light up. :rotfl:

Were the buns at Casey's anything like the cardboard they use for hamburger buns?

Yes and no on Christmas. I would love to go at Christmas, but the crowds are crazy. I was thinking maybe in a few year a Christmas thru New Year's trip would be fun and nuts.

Kathy, I signed up for the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon relay with a friend. I will have to let you know how it goes. This will be my first race. It should be a great time.

*Good for you! Run for your supper! :laughing:
*I got costume rings for me and the girls... they were big and chunky, but alas! They did not light up.
*The new hot dog buns are the same as the hamburger buns. :rolleyes:
*You are right....WDW at Christmas will be fun and nuts!

I will try to give detail on line waits, crowds, etc. in my TR for your research. I couldn't ever find a TR that covered this time from the past, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Please feel free to ask ANY questions. :goodvibes

Love that your anniversary is on NYE!! It will be wonderful and romantic!

I'm excited for you!!!!!!

Thanks, and I will definitely be tapping you for info! ;)
I always thought of New Year's Eve as a romantic anniversary date.
Then I had kids!! :rotfl: We haven't been out on a NYE/Anniversary date since before Tricia was born!

:(

What a bummer!

This is the first year that I realized that the schools up North stay in session up until very close to Christmas day. Here in the South, we always get out the Friday before Christmas and stay out for two weeks. I guess that is one of the ways the calendar gets adjusted since you don't start until after Labor Day.

They usually start vacation on the 24th and go back Jan. 2. In 2011 New Years Day is on a Sunday, so they will get Monday off... then it's back to the old grindstone for them.

Eddie goes to NC State, so his schedule is more like yours...

Kathy

Christmastime at Disney sounds perfect! :cloud9: And like you said...you are an experienced DISer...you have the knowledge and experience to know how to navigate the parks in a crowd and the sense to know when to just hang at the resort!

A big Woo-Hoo :woohoo: for Christmas with Mickey!

Thanks Missy!

For a christmas freak like you, it sounds like a great idea.

Disney and Christmas... my two favorite things. Now they will combined with my four favorite people!! :love:

I never did get to post pix of all my Santas and Dept. 56...

Well color me REDand Green

Someone is going to the world over Christmas. It will be really pretty then and there are so many little extra things to see and do. Glad you made a decision you are happy with. Have fun planning!

I will put off the planning while I finish this report! :rolleyes1 It's going to be pretty hard to wait... can't really plan much except dates for the next trip!!

Kathy

I'm glad you were able to make a decision! Now you can make plans and just roll with it. We were there close to Christmas and I think it is such a magical place to enjoy the holidays with your family. :)

I'm really looking forward to the Candlelight Processional and the Storytellers in World Showcase! Not sure if we will do the MVMCP... they run the Christmas parade that week during regular hours and that is what I would want to see the most!

:santa:I think that sounds like a wonderful plan! :santa: We have taken several trips that started Jan. 1 or Jan. 2 and we have had a great time. I love all the Christmas Trees! Can't wait to read about your plans and celebrating your anniversary in Disney will be fabulous! You should go to a signature restaurant!:snooty:

We may... and then ring in the New Year as a family!
Perhaps California Grill... I've always wanted to try that!

WOOT!! So excited for you too, Kathy!! Very cool! You'll get to see the parks and resorts all glittered up with Disney bling, and have great weather!

No, you're not any more insane than the rest of us who obsess on their beds at night thinking various scenarios over! :dance3:

You know you are an obsesive planner when you start losing sleep!

Hopefully we will have good weather; but I'd rather be cold than hot any day! I can always throw on a Disney sweatshirt! :thumbsup2

Kathy

I think it sounds wonderful. Congrats on the new ticker. We plan to do Dec 18-26 this year if our DVC comes through. I plan a lot of eating and looking at decor and very carefully following TGM.

I completely understand why you are going Christmas week, great idea to have one last family vacation:lovestruc But I still think your a little nuts for going Christmas week:laughing:

You guys will have fun over Christmas. You know how to tour the parks and a lot of the fun stuff you can do with tons of crowds and it just makes it more magical - especially the Osbourne Lights. :)

Careful what you wish for in the "cold" department...I am sure it is because I am from the South...but seeing snow and sleet in Disney in January was cool...and FREEZING. It was COLD. Miserable cold. I was glad it was not my yearly vacation and felt bad for the people there that it was their first time to visit Disney. :sad2:

The cold in Disney is a windy, wet, "out in it all day" sort of cold that made me wish it was July. :laughing:

I'm so very glad that you worked out a date! Going as a family is the best!
I went at Christmas in 1998, I can only imagine that it's gotten better!

I just realized I'll be 21 in 2011. Ugh... I'm getting old. :)

I think it sounds wonderful. Congrats on the new ticker. We plan to do Dec 18-26 this year if our DVC comes through. I plan a lot of eating and looking at decor and very carefully following TGM.

TGM has always done right by me!! :thumbsup2

I completely understand why you are going Christmas week, great idea to have one last family vacation:lovestruc But I still think your a little nuts for going Christmas week:laughing:

Don't worry... I think I'm a little nuts, too!! :lmao:

You guys will have fun over Christmas. You know how to tour the parks and a lot of the fun stuff you can do with tons of crowds and it just makes it more magical - especially the Osbourne Lights. :)

Careful what you wish for in the "cold" department...I am sure it is because I am from the South...but seeing snow and sleet in Disney in January was cool...and FREEZING. It was COLD. Miserable cold. I was glad it was not my yearly vacation and felt bad for the people there that it was their first time to visit Disney. :sad2:

The cold in Disney is a windy, wet, "out in it all day" sort of cold that made me wish it was July. :laughing:

I would rather be cold in Disney than cold in Jersey! ;)

That Florida weather can be so unpredictable!

Kathy

It will, of course, be the busiest week of the year (next to Easter Week), but I plan to plan (!) very carefullly and not over-do...

Kathy

I went between Christmas and new years and i was ready for crazy all out people everywhere and lines out the wahzoo. You know what ....

I had NONE of that. i would like to think i did some expert planning but really
NOT SO BAD. We had no more thatn 20-30 minute waits. i did see 280 minute wait for Soaring:scared1::scared1: as we strolled up using a FP:cool1:.

I avoided every line with ease. I don't even think we stood on a bus!
NYE on the beach at the Poly was fabulous:love::cloud9::cloud9:

NYE - Go to AK-- no lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter