A Halloween Adventure in Autism (11/12) New Thread Begun on TR Board!

Chew hard candy during your exams... glucose helps those messages across the neural synapses! ;)

It's true!!

Kathy

I've always said that cookies & brownies make you smart! I was proven right when learning about diabetes, that Type 1 patients may feel foggy or whatever b/c they're not getting the glucose they need to their brains! (Well, I learned this in nutrition too, but yeah, it's not been reinforced.)

*Hopefully we'll see this movie this weekend...Billy has really been looking forward to it!*

Kathy

'K, you gotta head to my PTR later today, cuz I'm posting some REALLY cool stuff about UP!!!! I'm working on getting it posted right now!

Ok - Kathy I am only on page 34 of your report (I plan to be caught up by the end of the day :) ) but I am to the page where you are discussing restaurants. We are going to go to Biergarten as well. When I was young my family went to Canada on vacation and we went to a German restaurant for dinner and I had so much fun there. I think Biergarten will be the same type of place - lots of music and dancing!

I would love to meet Snow White with all 7 dwarfs (my favorite princess). I guess that is another reason to go the the MNSSHP, I have heard that is the place to see them. Take pictures for me!

Oh, there will be lots 'o pix... Tricia is already jonesing for a camera of her own!

Just catching up. great info on all the sightings during Halloween....if I can only convince DH we need to go then. Not. LOL! Congrats on finding a bag....did it arrive yet?

No bag yet... ETA is 6/3...

We really lucked out that Jersey Week was so early this year. We've always missed Halloween in the past!

'K, you gotta head to my PTR later today, cuz I'm posting some REALLY cool stuff about UP!!!! I'm working on getting it posted right now!

I did read it; and it was really cool! Thanks! I love finding out trivia about movies before I see them!

... I am to the page where you are discussing restaurants. We are going to go to Biergarten as well. I think Biergarten will be the same type of place - lots of music and dancing!

If DNeice really wants to go, then I will, even though the food doesn't sound too appealling to me. But, its a buffet, so I should be able to find something! And of course, there's always the desserts... :rolleyes1

As long as there is mac 'n cheese for Billy, he'll be set! I think the kids will really enjoy the oompah band! And it's always good to try something new each trip!

Kathy

Yep. My planning is at a stand still, too. I have it in excel, all subject to park hours...

We're only doing two ADRs this trip (in an attempt not to be tied to ADRs every day, and the dining plan...). We are planning for one MNSSHP, preferably our first night (Sunday the 25th), but that all depends on if tickets sell out before we are 100% sure this trip is a go (I think we'll be fine).

Also, airfare is so cheap right now, we're considering flying instead of driving :eek: Which we never have with the kids... So that might change our dates a tiny bit, too (and then, without a car to bring all our food, we might cave and do the meal plan... Oh, I don't know, LOL)...

We are getting in the same day (though we don't get in until late on the 25th so I am planning on the 27th party. How fun! I don't think you'll have to worry about the tickets selling out - if they sell out it won't be until September or so.

Well, I did post on the DVC Rent/Trade board, but while I was waiting for my thread to be approved (it has to be written in the correct format), I decided to call Member Services just to see if that Friday night was even available!

Turns out that it was.

Also turns out that my figures were very wrong and the cost of the one-bedroom, savanna view, with the DVC member discount was much less than I originally thought! :yay:

It would not cost $400 more than ASMu, it would cost "only" $145 more!!!

I considered the question that my friend, Maroo, raised: How much is your time with your family at WDW worth? And I decided that YES, it WAS worth $145 to settle into Kidani and not have to bother packing up and moving the next day, then waiting until after 4pm to get into our room when we had MNSSHP tickets for that night burning holes in our pockets!!

So.... I booked the Friday night at Kidani and cancelled the ASMu ressie!!!

I know that Ed will be so happy... this is a VACATION after all, and the less complicated I can make it, the better!! :goodvibes

Now we can sleep in... explore the resort... swim in that amazing pool.... and still have lots of time to change into our costumes and get over to the MK early for the party!!

Whaddya think??

Kathy

I know I'm behind, but I just had to post that this is perfect :thumbsup2 $145 is so worth it!:thumbsup2 Of course since I'm behind, we'll see if anything changes ;)

Ooh, I'm looking forward to Tricia's pics-Mordie and Ferdie got some great pics last year (and some of their dad's butt, but hopefully Tricia will avoid that). :rotfl::rotfl:

Phew! I made it through!!! I love the bag. I have always been a fanny pack nerd at Disney - but I got a bag (similar to a bagalinni) for this trip because we won't have the stroller as much to shove stuff in (I am going to take it for later nights - but don't plan on taking it everytime we go to the park).

We have such a hard time waiting in lines for characters that most of our character meets have been at character meals. We stumbled across a couple characters without lines during our most recent trip, but I can only think of 2 or 3 characters that we have actually waited in line to see. We should have taken advantage of the characters at MNSSHP in 07 but that was the furthest thing from our minds at the time. I hope you guys get to meet lots of new characters!

I know I'm behind, but I just had to post that this is perfect :thumbsup2 $145 is so worth it!:thumbsup2 Of course since I'm behind, we'll see if anything changes ;)

Nothing's changed; we're still going to be at Kidani Village the entire time!! :goodvibes

Ooh, I'm looking forward to Tricia's pics-Mordie and Ferdie got some great pics last year (and some of their dad's butt, but hopefully Tricia will avoid that). :rotfl::rotfl:

I don't know if we can get a new digital camera... she may just have to deal with a bunch of disposables for now. Good thing is, you can get some that are water-resistant. I won't mind using them at the pool and really, who would steal a disposable camera?? :laughing:

Phew! I made it through!!! I love the bag. I have always been a fanny pack nerd at Disney - but I got a bag (similar to a bagalinni) for this trip because we won't have the stroller as much to shove stuff in (I am going to take it for later nights - but don't plan on taking it everytime we go to the park).

I'm really hoping that this bag won't be too much of a monster! :eek:
The more room you have, the more you're tempted to pack!!

Kathy

We have such a hard time waiting in lines for characters that most of our character meets have been at character meals. We stumbled across a couple characters without lines during our most recent trip, but I can only think of 2 or 3 characters that we have actually waited in line to see. We should have taken advantage of the characters at MNSSHP in 07 but that was the furthest thing from our minds at the time. I hope you guys get to meet lots of new characters!

Sometimes, I'm secretly relieved that we no longer have to stop at every single character stop! It did take up loads of time. :hourglass

But, there are also times that I miss those days... it means the kids are getting older and the characters are not quite as magical as before! :sad1:

Hopefully, they'll indulge their silly mommy and pose just a bit!! (I know Billy will, anyway!!) :hug:

Kathy

A Question of Independence...

We'll be spending time with family this weekend and, naturally, Tricia is anxious to talk Disney with her cousin. :hyper2:

She pooh-poohs me when I want to talk about the trip, but that's just her being a teenager. Wow... a teenager!!

I laugh a lot about her recent attitudes and how they reflect her growing up, but the fact remains that she is thirteen now and is slowly being given more freedoms and responsibilities as Ed and I see fit.

Charleston Princess brought it up the other day and it got me thinking...

I know that this subject will come up eventually in our family conversations...perhaps it may even come up this weekend...and I want to be prepared. I just know that at some point, the two thirteen-year-olds are going to want to go off on their own to do a certain ride or shop or whatever while we're at WDW and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Yes, they will both have their cell phones. Yes, I can trust that they will honor the buddy system and stick together. But I just don't know.....

Somehow I just don't feel comfortable letting the two of them go off together in the parks. :worried: I know that WDW is relatively safe, but I cannot help but worry. I know Ed feels the same way, but I'm worried that my DSis (Catie's mom) feels more comfortable with letting them go and it may cause a bit of a conflict when we're there. Catie is an only child and used to a lot of independence.

Now, I'm perfectly fine if, say, the girls don't want to see Playhouse Disney and Ed takes them to the Magic of Disney Animation while I stay with Billy. I just don't think I can let them go off without an adult just yet.

What do you think? Am I being over-protective?? :confused3

Kathy

'K, I'm late to the game, but gonna weigh in. WDW is safer than your local mall. Why not explain to her some set guidelines & let her know that future independent adventures will stem off how she handles this one. Have her check in q2h while in the parks, & go from there. You can start by her going to get drinks or something while in the hotel, or to see the animals. Might as well learn how to be independent & responsible in a fun, safe, environment!

You can start by her going to get drinks or something while in the hotel, or to see the animals. Might as well learn how to be independent & responsible in a fun, safe, environment!

Baby steps...baby steps.

(I'm talking about me, not the girls!!) :lmao:

Kathy

More Musings on Characters...

I would like to see the fairies at Pixie Hollow if we can... not sure if the "big girls" will love or hate that idea...

Have any of you met any unusual (rare) characters at Disney over the years??

Kathy

New to this report, and enjoying catching up!! We have an offer in for SSR DVC resale, waiting on ROFR. I also love my quirky Aspie DS and my wild ADHD boy, along w/ my NT daughter, so can relate all around! ;)

Back to the question about the characters...

In Feb. 2009 I think the more "exotic" ones we met were:

Mushu in China (Ep) = my favorite
King Louie and Baloo (AK)
Dopey in Germany (Ep)

The pixies in the hollow are more of an experience then a meet and greet! They pretended to shrink us before we entered the magic room, and the fairies spend a lot of time interacting with the family. We met Iridessa, Tink, and Silvermist. EVEN my 2 boys found them really cool! FYI: we did not use our GAC for this line, so we waited over an hour! But we let the kids use their DS's since the line doesn't move much, and there are TV monitors playing Disney movie clips too... not too bad!

Glad to be here, can't wait to hear about VAKL! :goodvibes

.... I also love my quirky Aspie DS and my wild ADHD boy, along w/ my NT daughter, so can relate all around!

Glad to be here, can't wait to hear about VAKL! :goodvibes

Hey there KJ!! Welcome!! Good luck with DVC; we love it! :lovestruc

Sounds like you've got your hands full!!! :laughing:

Kathy

In related PTR News....

Today I took Aunt Rae shopping at Best Buy. She had a coupon for Paul Blart: Mall Cop that was burning a hole in her pocket and she wanted to use it before it expired. (She also wanted to get a copy for Ed for a Father's Day present!)

Anyway, we're looking around and I noticed that Disney has released some of their classic shorts from "the vault." I could not resist, especially because one of them was The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. For some strange reason, we never had this on DVD. (I seem to remember having The Wind in the Willows on VHS a while back, but we no longer have even that.)

How does this relate to our Halloween PTR, you might ask??

Well, the Boo To You Too Halloween Parade is led by a ghostly rider on horseback... the Headless Horseman!! The kids are not even remotely familiar with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, so I'd like them to watch this before our trip so they can get the full effect!!

Now, the only problem is... I really want to watch it now!!!! Should I wait until its closer to Halloween, or just go for it???

Kathy

In related PTR News....

Today I took Aunt Rae shopping at Best Buy. She had a coupon for Paul Blart: Mall Cop that was burning a hole in her pocket and she wanted to use it before it expired. (She also wanted to get a copy for Ed for a Father's Day present!)

Anyway, we're looking around and I noticed that Disney has released some of their classic shorts from "the vault." I could not resist, especially because one of them was The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. For some strange reason, we never had this on DVD. (I seem to remember having The Wind in the Willows on VHS a while back, but we no longer have even that.)

How does this relate to our Halloween PTR, you might ask??

Well, the Boo To You Too Halloween Parade is led by a ghostly rider on horseback... the Headless Horseman!! The kids are not even remotely familiar with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, so I'd like them to watch this before our trip so they can get the full effect!!

Now, the only problem is... I really want to watch it now!!!! Should I wait until its closer to Halloween, or just go for it???

Kathy

Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter