• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Halloween Adventure in Autism (11/12) New Thread Begun on TR Board!

Great that the dates are up! Sounds like you are one step closer to making your plans gel out!

I hope the dates will be similar in 2010! I have decided to go for sure IF they have a date during my stay next year just after Labor Day.

Looking forward to hearing all about where you will get to call home for your upcoming trip!

Well I know you! I read your whole trip report for Lauren :wave2:

13K, that is impressive. It doesn't matter how long I stick with running on a treadmill - I don't think I'll ever manage even a 5K :lmao:

cool!!!! I do know you!! Hello!!! :wave2:

My friend...if I can do it, anyone can do it. Trust me. :)

I am walking the 13K...which is 8.1 miles. I might end up jogging on the downhill pieces...but mostly speed walking! :thumbsup2

I have already lost 17 pounds training for it! :)

We will have to schedule a DISmeet. Do you have a pre-trippie going? I am waiting till I finish my current TR and we get info from Disney about accomadations! :)

Preschoolmom & Maroo: Aww, Poops!

I can't believe we're going to just miss each other! :headache:

Kathy

I know!!! That was the first thing I noticed about the trip!!! :(

:banana: :banana: MNSSHP Dates have been announced! :banana: :banana:

(Well, we already knew we want to be there Halloween Night, but reading about the party is so much fun!)

Link to the party info: http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/halloween.htm

Kathy

Yay! I went to one MNSSHP on a quick trip with a college friend a couple years back and I can't wait until my kids are old enough to stay up late enough to enjoy one of these ... the parade was so cool!

My first sub! What a great pre-trip report! You have a great talent for writing, you pulled me right in! Thank you for sharing your journey. I cannot wait to read more! Keep up the great work. My family and I went to the MNSSHP last year and it was amazing! My DD5 still talks about it. You are going to love it!:love:

All7OfUs: I'm trying very hard to calm it down a bit when it comes to the obsessive trip planning, although we shall see how long that lasts the closer it gets to October! ;)

Maroo: Congrats and good luck with the training! :cheer2:

OhioDisneyLover:
Well, are you getting your discount?? :confused:

eyeheartgoofy: I don't even care about "rides" during the parties; the extra stuff is so awesome! :woohoo:

Disneymom3304: Welcome to the TR Boards! :welcome: Prepare to become addicted!

Kathy

hello,
I'm subscribing, since I'm only on page 3 and have to go back and read. I love what you have so far though and have enjoyed reading about your family. We are from NJ too :) but live in Knoxville TN for now. i can't wait to find out what happened with AR. I'm hoping she didn't want to go on the trip, so that nobody had to feel :guilty: guilty.

Connect Four?

As you all know, I'm waiting to finalize our arrival and departure dates based upon availability of one-bedroom villas at any of my top three DVC resorts. It's a bit backwards, really. Most people wait until they score a great airfare and then call to book their room! :upsidedow But, such is life in the DVC world...

Airfares have gone down a bit since last year, but I still don't think they are all that great out of Newark or LaGuardia. Last April, they were so bad that we :drive: down for the first time. I have to admit, it wasn't as horrible as I had imagined, but I still hate to waste all that precious time on the road when we could be in Disney! :lovestruc So, I really would prefer to fly.

(More on that road trip in my next report... I will catch up, someday!)

We've always paid extra $$ because we chose non-stop flights. The reasons for this were many: Billy did not travel well when he was younger and we wanted to limit the time that he had to remain seated....we have always been afraid that our luggage would get lost on a connecting flight....and, we just flat-out wanted to get to Disney ASAP! :woohoo:

But things have changed over the years. Billy is older now and does much better on the plane, thanks in part to our purchase of a portable DVD player with earphones :music: and the fact that he will now chew gum to reduce the pressure in his ears. :thumbsup2 When he was little, he would just swallow it! :rolleyes1

I've been casually checking the airfares for October (by casually, I mean every 3 to 4 days) and so far, I am not impressed. Hey, if the economy is so bad and everyone is postponing their vacations, then how come the airfares are still way up there?? :confused: They are especially high, naturally, if you want to travel during the most desirable times.

I have learned through experience that my children not do well when I throw them off their sleep patterns too much. So, what good is saving $30 a ticket by taking a 6am flight if it will throw everyone off for the rest of the day and make them cranky that night and the next morning as well?

I also like to utilize our last day by leaving in the early evening. So, even though we have checked out :sad1: we can still spend the better part of the day doing something fun. And so, I choose not to depart Orlando on an early am flight, which is of course, a bit cheaper. A bit. A teeny-tiny bit.

So, lately I've been experimenting by checking on the connecting as well as the non-stop flights, thinking this could save us some $$. (What's the harm in looking, right?)

After doing some research, I've come up with some connecting flights that do not have too long of a stopover...the longest connection would be an hour and a half on the return flight, but we could use it to have a late supper. Yes, we would arrive home at almost midnight, but who cares? We will be coming home on either a Friday or a Saturday, so there won't be any school to get up for the next day.

Bottom line is: we can save $150 per person if we take the connecting flights! $150 X 4 = $600! That's a whole lotta dinero! ::yes::

But, should I risk it? :scratchin

Will Billy get really antsy with the longer stop over? :hyper:

Will our luggage get put on another plane? :confused3

Should we play connect four? :worried:

Kathy

Connect Four?

As you all know, I'm waiting to finalize our arrival and departure dates based upon availability of one-bedroom villas at any of my top three DVC resorts. It's a bit backwards, really. Most people wait until they score a great airfare and then call to book their room! :upsidedow But, such is life in the DVC world...

Airfares have gone down a bit since last year, but I still don't think they are all that great out of Newark or LaGuardia. Last April, they were so bad that we :drive: down for the first time. I have to admit, it wasn't as horrible as I had imagined, but I still hate to waste all that precious time on the road when we could be in Disney! :lovestruc So, I really would prefer to fly.

(More on that road trip in my next report... I will catch up, someday!)

We've always paid extra $$ because we chose non-stop flights. The reasons for this were many: Billy did not travel well when he was younger and we wanted to limit the time that he had to remain seated....we have always been afraid that our luggage would get lost on a connecting flight....and, we just flat-out wanted to get to Disney ASAP! :woohoo:

But things have changed over the years. Billy is older now and does much better on the plane, thanks in part to our purchase of a portable DVD player with earphones :music: and the fact that he will now chew gum to reduce the pressure in his ears. :thumbsup2 When he was little, he would just swallow it! :rolleyes1

I've been casually checking the airfares for October (by casually, I mean every 3 to 4 days) and so far, I am not impressed. Hey, if the economy is so bad and everyone is postponing their vacations, then how come the airfares are still way up there?? :confused: They are especially high, naturally, if you want to travel during the most desirable times.

I have learned through experience that my children not do well when I throw them off their sleep patterns too much. So, what good is saving $30 a ticket by taking a 6am flight if it will throw everyone off for the rest of the day and make them cranky that night and the next morning as well?

I also like to utilize our last day by leaving in the early evening. So, even though we have checked out :sad1: we can still spend the better part of the day doing something fun. And so, I choose not to depart Orlando on an early am flight, which is of course, a bit cheaper. A bit. A teeny-tiny bit.

So, lately I've been experimenting by checking on the connecting as well as the non-stop flights, thinking this could save us some $$. (What's the harm in looking, right?)

After doing some research, I've come up with some connecting flights that do not have too long of a stopover...the longest connection would be an hour and a half on the return flight, but we could use it to have a late supper. Yes, we would arrive home at almost midnight, but who cares? We will be coming home on either a Friday or a Saturday, so there won't be any school to get up for the next day.

Bottom line is: we can save $150 per person if we take the connecting flights! $150 X 4 = $600! That's a whole lotta dinero! ::yes::

But, should I risk it? :scratchin

Will Billy get really antsy with the longer stop over? :hyper:

Will our luggage get put on another plane? :confused3

Should we play connect four? :worried:

Kathy

We are in the same boat as we are traveling the same dates as you from Newark. I refuse to fly to LaGuardia, because of bad past experiences, even though it is a tad cheaper to fly out of there. But, as you stated the flight prices right now are horrendous out of Newark!!! Have you looked at flying out of JFK? It was around $200 cheaper than Newark (flying non-stop that is). We are still debating what to do. Connecting flights are a bit scary with the luggage thing, and heck I want to be in Disney but who knows, maybe it could be worth it to save money.

I had not thought of JFK...but it seems so far. The car service out to Queens would be extra $$ to consider....

But, I will look into it!

Kathy

Sorry, NJ2Boarwalk, just noticed I "flipped" your user name. Now I can't correct it!

You could always do half and half.....direct flight down and the connecting flights back home.

I write the next thing not knowing exactly where you live so take it with a grain of salt.....are there any smaller airports within a couple hours of you? I just had friends flight out of RI instead of NH because it was so much cheaper, even with the gas, and hotel room for the night.

We're spoiled with having a smallish airport 45 minutes from our house that has direct flights to Orlando on Southwest.

I had not thought of JFK...but it seems so far. The car service out to Queens would be extra $$ to consider....

But, I will look into it!

Kathy

Sorry, NJ2Boarwalk, just noticed I "flipped" your user name. Now I can't correct it!

That is our reason why we are hesitant on JFK. The car service is extra, but we thought around $200 dollar savings per person x 4 people is $800 and that is a lot more than the cost of the extra car ride to JFK. It is a hard choice though like you said, we are used to Newark and love Newark, but the prices are a little out of control. I guess because it is Teachers Convention, they are trying to get the most money they can figuring a lot of people will be traveling.

Yikes!

You're right, we Jerseans are getting ripped off because of Teacher's Convention! :mad: My airfare out of JFK is half of what it would be out of Newark! :sad2:

Unbelievable!

We may have to take the kids out of school a little early if we leave Friday, but hey! That's a lot of $$ to save!!!

Thanks! :flower3:

Kathy

.....are there any smaller airports within a couple hours of you? I just had friends flight out of RI instead of NH because it was so much cheaper, even with the gas, and hotel room for the night.

Thanks, Heidi! Only "smaller" airport is all the way down in Atlantic City... a two hour drive. We'll probably just skip over to Queens for the lower fare!!

Hope you're feeling well and not waddling too much yet!! :rotfl:

Kathy

Just wanted to ring in on the Connect 4 game...no not the red and black checker version....:goodvibes

Your reasons for not doing it are the same as ours and then I also have an under 3 yr old to contend w/ as well. I agree the rates are nothing to be :) about it...but for us it just came down to ease

We did a TON of looking around into alternate airports to try and fly for a little less and the thought of boarding and unboarding 4 times just was something to make my insides curl...

We are flying non-stop and now (hopefully) I will be a fan of SouthWest and Chicago's smaller airport after this trip.

Good luck! :shamrock:

I love Southwest out of Mancheter, NH (our smaller airport) rather than flying out of Boston. Unfortunately, the prices have been awful this year. I was determined to find something good so I ended up with direct flights on JetBlue out of Portland, ME (only about an hour away) for just over $200 RT per person. I'm hoping to become a fan of JetBlue.

We are still doing direct flights this year - but they only offered one time for the direct flight. We have to fly out mid-day and fly home in the morning. I guess you can't have it all. ;)

Could you fly out of Philadelphia? I think SWA flies out of there.
I'm awaiting JetBlue and Southwest to release October fares, myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter