A Guide To American Law Enforcement and Personal Security

A word to the wise: don't try to buy alcohol in any state over here if you're under 21...and don't try to consume alcohol anywhere over here if you're under 21. Just don't.

According to everything I have read you have to be 21 fullstop no if's or but's.

Florida State statutes re drinking.

Claire ;)

I stand corrected.
According to what Claire posted it is prohibited. And since it's the Florida statute that must be correct.

That's interesting. The federal site that lists all state statutes is incorrect (since it lists Florida as having no prohibition other than in licensed establishments). I wonder if you could take that to court in your defense. "But your honor, according to the US govt. site it says it's not prohibited....." ...doubtful......

Hey... I am surprised to find this thing still here!

I am glad that some of you found it useful.

Bill

Thanks for the great info and thanks for taking the time to post it. :worship:
We do get Cops here and I am watching it right now! Its one of my favourite US programs next to Everybody loves Raymond.

Glad you all like it... please feel free to ask any questions that you might have. Bill

I do have one then. Why do bar staff sometimes ask me for age ID? I am very obviously over 21, even by the kindest assessment. It just seems a bit pointless really!

1. I assume it's common knowledge that dialing 911 on any phone will connect you to the nearest emergency dispatcher for police, ambulance and/or fire. I assume but don't know that this works for foreign cell phones.

IF you dial from a landline, it automatically displays your location to the dispatcher. If you dial from a cell, you'll need to provide that info.

2. Firearms are prevalent in the US. Most are in the hands of responsible gun owners. (I keep one in my car.) This is something my dad (a cop) taught me when I first learned to drive: When an officer pulls someone over, he never knows if that person has an arrest warrant, and/or is armed and willing to resist arrest. Approaching a car is one of the most dangerous things an officer can do. Most officers have a heightened sense of awareness when approaching a car for that reason. If you put your hands in the ten o'clock/two o'clock position on the steering wheel and turn on the interior lights at night if you get pulled over, an officer that can see your hands (and knows they aren't holding a weapon) will be more at ease approaching your vehicle. An officer more at ease ís more likely to write a warning instead of a ticket. My dad's second piece of advise: be respectful and courteous. It can't hurt , might help, but even if you do get a ticket, the officer is just doing his job.

I do have one then. Why do bar staff sometimes ask me for age ID? I am very obviously over 21, even by the kindest assessment. It just seems a bit pointless really!

A drinking establishment can lose their license to serve alcohol if they are caught serving to someone under 21. To prevent that possibility, most places train employees to "card" either everyone, or anybody that appears younger than say, 30.

A drinking establishment can lose their license to serve alcohol if they are caught serving to someone under 21. To prevent that possibility, most places train employees to "card" either everyone, or anybody that appears younger than say, 30.

Trust me. I also do not look younger than 30!!!!!!

I grew up in the US.

I remember my mom crying the first time she wasn't carded buying alcohol at the grocery store. She was nearing 40.

My poor hubby (bf at the time) was 21 the first we went. He was quite looking forward to being able to provide id however he wasn't asked once. He asked in the liquor store if they were going to need id and the woman behind the counter laughed!! He was quite put out lol!! He does look a fair bit older than he is though.

What is the situation with UK driving licences being used as ID? On my last trip I was refused alcohol (on some but not all occasions,) in DTD because they wanted to see my passport. I asked was a photocopy acceptable (my passport does not leave the safe!) and was told it wasn't.

What is the situation with UK driving licences being used as ID? On my last trip I was refused alcohol (on some but not all occasions,) in DTD because they wanted to see my passport. I asked was a photocopy acceptable (my passport does not leave the safe!) and was told it wasn't.

UK Government tell us to carry our passports at all times in the US:

You must carry a passport showing that you have leave to enter or remain with you at all times. Some States (Arizona, Utah, Indiana, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama) have introduced legislation allowing police officers to detain individuals they suspect of being in the United States illegally. It is particularly important that you carry your passport with you in these States.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/local-laws-and-customs

Great thread! I just found this. Even though we come every year not being a US citizen there is still much to respect and learn. Can you tell me please what colour is the uniform of the state trooper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter