• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Yep. Especially since road engineers are especially qualified for this!

Sorry you have to deal with stupid crap. Hope it is over soon!

We had our final meeting on the issue yesterday and enacted discipline. Hopefully that ends it. Unfortunately, I have someone else to deal with!:headache:

Oy. Must make a not of this.... Do. Not. Stop.

Yeah...it's really not worth it.

Scary indeed.

::yes::

I wanted to say that!

Me first!

So he didn't realize that you really are just a scaredy cat.

Exactly.

Totally shocked. Something free??? Thought that was like unicorns.

I'm just as surprised as anyone. It's a rare sighting, for sure.

I did a Sarah Palin and stood on my porch.

:lmao: I bet you could see Mexico!

No kidding. There are no winners in a nuclear war.

Strange game. The only way to win is not to play.

Makes sense. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that.

And I'm no rocket surgeon, that's for sure.

Welcome to the club.

The Sleeping On The Couch Club? I think I'm a charter member.

It'll be a while.
Gotta get the other two trips out of the way first.

I'm gonna file that one under Great Problems To Have.

Yup. Don't know if I want to go or not. I'm not a fan of giant hordes. Not even in Disney.

Agreed. One of the guys who works for me enjoys riding his bike and did the long road trip to Sturgis once. He said he liked the Black Hills area, but wouldn't go during bike week again, for that reason. Just too many people to really be able to do anything or get around town.

Hmmm.... But what's the reason for weathering into that colour?

Not sure. The geology page at the park website didn't specify. I checked a few more links from my search and didn't turn up any details.

Spoiler. Been to the Rocky's last month and.... nada.

Unacceptable! Those park rangers need to do a better job of scheduling the animal sightings.

There are plenty of great people around.
Obviously the discourse where you live is different from where I live.
I honestly fear my neighbors.

Me neither. But I also think it's amazing what can happen when you ask a question rather than assuming the answer will be no.
I should try that once in a while.
Of course asking is rarely as successful as acting and then seeking forgiveness afterward.
That’s a win, win… you get what you want and if you’re not forgiven you just attack the other individual for being a bad person.

Apparently, I’m a bad person.

We just started trying to pick a date to go to the Washington Monument since they had re-opened it, and...they just closed it indefinitely again.:headache:
That stinks even more.
We want to go back up there sometime in the near.
Do hope they can get it stabilized again.

Careful...you almost stole my chapter title for the next update.
I’d have considered that quite the honor.

Seriously. That's insane!:rolleyes1
Yes… yes it was…
Errr…
IS, IS! I meant to say “is”.

No reward is worth this.
Just keep the big walking carpet out of her way and nobody gets hurt.

There's not that much of a difference, is there?
Oh, no… nooooooo,
Of course not.

Nope, noppity-nope
Nope…
Naaaa…

No…

yes

That's more American--it's always somebody else's fault!
And they need to be properly persecuted.

I can't imagine people not wanting to check it out if they'd heard about this place.
I certainly want to.
Just trying to figure out how.

He would love to press the buttons.
Some of us never quite grow out of that trate.
Take him on Mission Space when he gets big enough.

Nuking the fridge again, are we?
Doesn’t everyone have a lead lined Kelvinator randomly sitting out for just such an occasion?

:thumbsup2 Is that better?
Works for me.

Y’all may not be quite the gamers that my young’en is…
There’s a dark humored nuclear reference in that character.

Me first!

Dang it!

:lmao: I bet you could see Mexico!

:laughing: Does that mean if Trump gets elected, I could get a job as his foreign policy advisor?

Strange game. The only way to win is not to play.

Stupid game.

And I'm no rocket surgeon, that's for sure.

Pocket sturgeon.

maybe we should stop now.

The Sleeping On The Couch Club? I think I'm a charter member.

It helps if you get to pick the couch.

I'm gonna file that one under Great Problems To Have.

;)

Agreed. One of the guys who works for me enjoys riding his bike and did the long road trip to Sturgis once. He said he liked the Black Hills area, but wouldn't go during bike week again, for that reason. Just too many people to really be able to do anything or get around town.

Figured as much.
As cool as it would be to see all the bikes... and the topless women....

sorry. Zoned out for a second there.
Just too crowded for me, thanks.

Unacceptable! Those park rangers need to do a better job of scheduling the animal sightings.

Well, there was this one time...

Obviously the discourse where you live is different from where I live.
I honestly fear my neighbors.

You're always going to have those people around, too. I just avoid associating with them.

I should try that once in a while.
Of course asking is rarely as successful as acting and then seeking forgiveness afterward.
That’s a win, win… you get what you want and if you’re not forgiven you just attack the other individual for being a bad person.

Apparently, I’m a bad person.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission? I've seen that work occasionally. That can backfire in a big way, though. I guess I'm not big into burning bridges.

That stinks even more.
We want to go back up there sometime in the near.
Do hope they can get it stabilized again.

Yeah, it's worrisome that they're still having problems so long after the earthquake.

I’d have considered that quite the honor.

But then I'd have to come up with a new one!

Yes… yes it was…
Errr…
IS, IS! I meant to say “is”.

Right, right. I gotcha.

Just keep the big walking carpet out of her way and nobody gets hurt.

Look, your worshipfulness...

Oh, no… nooooooo,
Of course not.

Nope, noppity-nope
Nope…
Naaaa…

No…

yes

I suspected as much.

And they need to be properly persecuted.

Darn right. By somebody else.

I certainly want to.
Just trying to figure out how.

1. Get in car.
2. Start driving west.

Some of us never quite grow out of that trate.
Take him on Mission Space when he gets big enough.

Oh yeah, he will absolutely love that. I'm looking forward to his first trip.

Doesn’t everyone have a lead lined Kelvinator randomly sitting out for just such an occasion?

Absolutely. It'll totally protect you from impact injuries, too.

Works for me.

Y’all may not be quite the gamers that my young’en is…
There’s a dark humored nuclear reference in that character.

Yeah, I had no clue on that one.

Oh, the joys of management.

:laughing: Does that mean if Trump gets elected, I could get a job as his foreign policy advisor?

:rotfl2: I have a feeling you'd be at least as qualified as anyone he would recommend!

Stupid game.

Pretty much.

Pocket sturgeon.

maybe we should stop now.

Um...yeah, that's probably best.

It helps if you get to pick the couch.

I never thought of that. I'd make sure I took the one in the TV room.

Figured as much.
As cool as it would be to see all the bikes... and the topless women....

sorry. Zoned out for a second there.
Just too crowded for me, thanks.

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Well, there was this one time...

Yes...?

Better to ask forgiveness than permission? I've seen that work occasionally. That can backfire in a big way, though. I guess I'm not big into burning bridges.
I was taught not to do such as well.
But I encounter it a lot more often than I’d like to.
And somehow I’m always the unreasonable bad guy.

It’s no wonder I’m extremely reluctant to ever offer the title of “friend” to anyone.

Look, your worshipfulness...
So… has she figured out where you get your delusions from yet?

1. Get in car.
2. Start driving west.
I’ll give you a pass on ignoring the find-disposable-income part of the instruction list.
But you can’t get away with leaving off the acquire-requisite-free-time step of the process.

Yeah, I had no clue on that one.
Sorry… I figured that if I’d heard of it then it must be common knowledge by now.

If you haven’t already looked it up (and why should you), the trick is:
If using one eye you can hide the entire nuclear plum behind your thumb with your arm outstretched then you and the folks sharing your shelter should be safe from the radiation emitted by that particular explosion.

Like I said… a bit dark.

I’d like to start with a shout-out to the Country Inn & Suites of Rapid City, South Dakota. When we’d checked in the night before, the front desk had informed us that breakfast was served beginning at 6:30 a.m. Unfortunately, we needed to be on the road by 6:30 a.m. The woman working the desk immediately offered to make breakfast bags for everyone in the family, and true to her word, they were ready and waiting when I checked out in the morning. She’d hooked us up with bagels, fruit, orange juice, and muffins. That was quality service.

That was certainly nice of them!

If you’ve ever driven I-95 in the Carolinas, then you’ve seen the hundreds of billboards for South Of The Border, a somewhat creepy tourist trap that lies just south of the North Carolina/South Carolina border.

Nope, can't say I've been there.

As part of that treaty, this site was preserved as a monument to the Cold War and a reminder of that era’s potentially devastating arms race.

I do remember that. Even songs you sang at camp had lyrics that included the A-bomb or the H-bomb.

One of the tickets that was left was for our tour time. With no one else in line, I asked if I could have that one and they obliged. Another couple came up and grabbed the remaining tickets.

Seems fair enough.

This is a full-scale replica of the blast door in the command center. Apparently working here as a missileer gives you a dark sense of humor.

But I like it!

a metal sign destined to be hung on the door leading to our garage that is partially in Cyrillic and declares that we are “now entering the American Sector.”

Yes pictures please.

Well, I was completely wrong. The program clarified later that the pass was good for the entire calendar year beginning in the fall of 2015 with the school year. So even though Scotty graduated the 4th grade in June of 2016, he was still able to get a pass to use that summer.

See it did work out for you!

We actually got all the way to the visitor center before our friends finally met up with us, so we backtracked a bit to the Window trailhead. There’s a large parking lot leading to short boardwalk trails to three different features in the rock formations: the Door, the Window, and the Notch. We chose the Window trail to give the kids a chance to get out of the car and hike a bit.

Beautiful country out there!

While we were there, a biker group pulled into the lot. One of them saw Drew eyeing up the motorcycle and gave him a chance to see it up close.

I bet he enjoyed that one!

It was worth the effort. We found a couple of female bighorn sheep and their lambs taking a mid-day break.

I don't think I've ever seen them in the wild either.

:laughing: Does that mean if Trump gets elected,

Bite your tongue!

Probably. Which is a pretty sad commentary isn't it?

::yes:: All of U.S. politics falls under the "sad commentary" banner these days.

Pick a couch with electric foot rests and a built in mini-fridge.

I saw a reclining leather couch with built-in charging stations for your phone the other day. That was cool. But the mini-fridge wins.

That's a later chapter in my TR.
Much later.

That's ok. I'll wait.

Are we there yet?

I was taught not to do such as well.
But I encounter it a lot more often than I’d like to.
And somehow I’m always the unreasonable bad guy.

It’s no wonder I’m extremely reluctant to ever offer the title of “friend” to anyone.

Sounds like you've encountered a whole lot of takin' without a subsequent amount of givin'. That would make anyone a little cynical.

So… has she figured out where you get your delusions from yet?

Let's go down the garbage chute! What a terrific idea! What an incredible smell you've discovered!

I’ll give you a pass on ignoring the find-disposable-income part of the instruction list.
But you can’t get away with leaving off the acquire-requisite-free-time step of the process.

I wish I could help you with Mr. Scrooge that way. It's just not right. Still, you did get away to Disney. So you have that going for you, which is nice.

Sorry… I figured that if I’d heard of it then it must be common knowledge by now.

If you haven’t already looked it up (and why should you), the trick is:
If using one eye you can hide the entire nuclear plum behind your thumb with your arm outstretched then you and the folks sharing your shelter should be safe from the radiation emitted by that particular explosion.

Like I said… a bit dark.

Very dark. I don't necessarily mind dark, though.

That was certainly nice of them!

It was such a huge help!

Nope, can't say I've been there.

Do you feel an emptiness in your soul, because you've missed out on South of the Border?

I do remember that. Even songs you sang at camp had lyrics that included the A-bomb or the H-bomb.

Creepy.

Yes pictures please.

Oh, all right. I'll try and remember.

See it did work out for you!

I was wrong! I admit it!

You're enjoying this, aren't you?

Beautiful country out there!

It was certainly unique!

I bet he enjoyed that one!

He's a boy--he likes anything with wheels!

I don't think I've ever seen them in the wild either.

They're definitely not easy to spot. It took me 41 years!

Bite your tongue!

Truth be told, I'm not wild about the other option, either!

Chapter 6: Let’s Play Global Thermonuclear War.

It was getting close to 2:00 p.m., and we’d just finished our driving tour of Rt. 240 through Badlands National Park. We drove north to I-90 and then headed east on the highway, getting off at exit 116 in the exact center of nowhere. Just a few hundred feet beyond the exit, the road turned to a dirt road. The only thing breaking up the monotonous landscape was a fenced-in area containing a couple of antenna poles and some sort of concrete structure. There was a small parking area outside the fence where we and our friends pulled up.

This is the location of the Delta-09 missile silo, part of the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. This is one of the silos that was decommissioned under the START Treaty and left preserved as a museum exhibit, as I explained in the previous chapter.

7bTcaPmgOBkbR1alPVtfnHXgcznhAnAU1VQIi1Ql7TmLs45zyjaHNHxXknHVnl0gRXPpnOMofgAu2cFnB4yQU6QW9V5mQ7DIErXyOWQtF4dkNyCEmm-z4VbCFVPzaOwch5gqLKGK1_Nt3__iJiwpIjOfr6VWPywT28d556jR2pBl0KIEn8QOc-1PTIVhm_jqgbkBfRq6AknJO5R7O5b0c64Tv1sn-RHn6KOxXGQ9PBUBUsFYe2oCLRBr-Qz6QgdDP2w1CF8hbzt0xC3367y2taOeFJCzpeotNWgjB3Ac1QYMGdgY45iFhxGgD5zNY59BsS29EaKqlRUtqZOUtmTr8wplSrTSFCNc-IzduZLk-rAtu5mGgO_W8GIrWmwW4A_kLpktYNNveZoj2bJEFCxqHAqQChGxvW80T96JT63_lDV6SqpZZ3PlSAeKMRqXNMSQqCsId9xRXHp0j7F1SvnIT2XC7VQ2Us0-YR4eb83NsKL6efueTnL9WxrJRUiT1OUhsFylQGfYedpQqooV-d6z85IAC9Em6sY142IMslqhBRqVfHGTjxJp_XeWafBtpM4NLBW77mMM9XNwh4Rl46kmPpC6xTliRGNVOHeveeTpAEga501D=w1187-h792-no

The National Park Service offers a free cell phone tour of this site—you just call into a number and walk around the site, following the prompts as the narrator describes the purpose of each item at the site. We didn’t have time to walk around and follow along step-by-step, but we tried calling in while we were driving just to get an idea of what we were looking at. It was pretty helpful.

It was a quick visit, but I wanted to make sure we got a look, because how many chances do you get to see an actual nuclear missile silo? It was hard to get a photo of the interior due to the glass reflecting the sunlight, but we managed to get this one:

tsBgHraTB0LbpeA_lFcK6m1BWbhN3rXaV-bEhgtZsIfc2z9bDdf3Pr4fAXopeW4fI4fzpxFPEe4CgYQxZQN8RQ1DEamjmjH8W9DBpcICNRMol_0NvsHOVQmoHr-Uy5gaLd9DWRGGo-DU4CCVgrA5fupC9rBRSpFPKC6GcethGE87r-KMAUfzhfMSNlXdcqFzY-zHQlkTEqsdUKYv8dG949B5x0cpxHgmngbe1CRJrw99Uv3yopdQ_SlWukrlY1WaRErS_Xa6kEonj5aJD4aDVjCzZP4mB7qehObRkMODEGHZCuwWM6ybUKPwkz5aTVEW7YpTMil0Ls4Qe_TFW47PMQkdHGKWvN8r6S_-5YB4mnG0PChrwvLh0llKRi5vtfrpIgwQ3uwLATzIACI9dniYw6xrsom_cAqwF06D4Qm3pS1TCJjR9BtazbW7XEJxiFqmXfsU-PR0saO0_6OORGBZQKiBe2exp-GmWTpgZ0evoo5hXuvJ9tpJl7Kp0zownm0q1WNWxwqMvnwKgnWKL4DqgZIKNSCUZMmRoGFKMDRFaS34YrQgLCEmb0R9EIhg7fEZlnL443TBz2XO23IM0uX0Cl39TFFMWLvPxvFtJkNxBy6rxbft=w1114-h835-no

No, that’s not a real missile. At least, I don’t think it is.

After a few minutes of poking around and failing to cause a national security incident, we had to leave to get to our tour. My friends volunteered to take Drew with them back to Rapid City while they shopped for their own road trip supplies. One of their children really wanted to do the tour, so he got the extra ticket and rode with us. It all worked out well.

We drove to exit 127 and again found ourselves on a lonely dirt road, headed to a nondescript house that was completely fenced in. A park ranger was there waiting for us, unlocking the gate for us to enter.

I present to you the imposing, intimidating Delta-01 command facility, which looks exactly like a structure designed to end life as we know it:

rxQmX4J9KcvtV68EihPfYylKye8QbDdsaiFHUUCSFwxolCEwRFcnXTbK2BNfcAGkgra15IwN7AOgdRBMZ8NMgvJvw6Kq1wGWEYjeTnvAF9yQZ-sj-1o5PZDLQ5BOwK07LudtmFfDt8mqFQqXZ1TdRPbutupRuHFNSLjePE9nha6DY8TcBlnd2vfH2TnFIVR-0V14FCNuNgVkZoJ6oRTK1H6heYfWPD5EyR3NxotpV4wNErSez3k3nNyZbfkouLLXOTYIgWd0NkuDMgoBK4XHUJ1lsIH35b0Y6nvFPGT6a52o5BnEP_pFaVYLrsrABtV7nFYQshRkzdgcLYHrV8xAADt8-xSHU5PCMNXoQ-B-4K3VoEEavfMMR6mVorOrkGUcIaT-HTLXIIuZ3I8Lvozo26gckQ0uOmUGIq_TJhBEZTxtULhsBvgWBDFPacIGL5B6RVL_OTuh2QyNIKpamKcg93L9P7ZzTvnZDOxtHlBfQ7lrawvBccFQ55uc1pOkrjGpcSyL24PHW1-Wk0peHt-5kBxt0RkO_PCps9_kDlt7bq1lDP7IpjDPd7u584C7jXgt-lI8wBSJ76j4SY0u-sCAqk5L1hlum0sddS-MAfzzQKke06Vx=w1187-h792-no

Wait, sorry—it looks like one of those crappy personal storage units where some creepy guy in the front office who hasn’t showered in three days rents you a garage to keep your extra junk. Which I suppose was somewhat intended.

Our tour began promptly at 2:45, basically a private tour for our family plus one woman who had missed the previous tour. The ranger graciously allowed her to tag along. The ranger started by showing us the 1970’s equivalent of a shredder: the burn box. Every day, this was where missileers brought sensitive documents to be burned to insure they never fell into enemy hands.

Rg6gSdZHUyo3gT_6ebaUgDiKMr0zCpPMb3m-0A8OyqFkYJ4wWcF1m64enM9CRgPcKS5BZfjCAQcm3c5vN5eeXvR5FUVMRFsCOCuitUjxMd5YE7mUDh3_MvkFdf9uByeh9E4SiaYPJFYBBQd0TjKEwWBomhtngv-gowJ8qDo2X6zQ06pd8n8s1bMwX720MLPas4Orjr0e_RGvzB_jVDXeVd5Ay91ftMTFf2N_64qjGhi8VwmHj-AXQFVB8wF_n5UauQUr80jr20tbAoARbpJrRL_97tKP9ncj9OgHN3UH928yHEZtPvfq3Ibzwvfj9CbiosF9-KK41TTnWZGYJfpTeWGrVQTbJnaLa2AQPrkpBQ6yr53QDgGf6tsSORE8vgYfD9EC29zi-V-6Xd3uCR6rBWm7PdA01sb8q-O8nzuB7mOnRqIeqC3tOwgMbIvmUM9Ze1H1ASFYCcRxn0WYH84gCiHv5RIwA2UMtII3n5VKkwY1AdN4R8xHymoyzT4TyOrN4xyO-svCh4de2L7jju-FZMfqWahhsa0VFInVW0of78dVJ_T_SwY56np1UskPFV0WhZ3-txVC38kd2QZAK1Q3xoO0OJ46uRneYb89DZL_thUIIe8-=w557-h835-no

Seems to me they could recycle that for Bingo Night at the nursing home.

I forget the official name of this vehicle, but this was the all-terrain vehicle the workers had to take to go check on the various missile sites. Proximity alarms would go off every time a deer or other critter jumped the fence at a silo, and these poor guys would have to jump in the truck to go investigate and make sure it wasn’t a break-in. The tires were solid rubber, which was great for durability but awful for a smooth, comfortable ride. They hated this part of the job.

A0FWOCFM0Vy9-O97BSMFG9nMSvrEGU_RWHrim2XgxhiwPAeaG2p2_Mbn3mnzR20mRiLraDnstqZapjrN0Pvcdx37qwEz0piXuaiVwRLILNarL3uKc1zkdhYJdkkZSDyc_9DsNfmpEi4JeR4ml31sdwFkTkwulzSF-0DwA3v34R7uKGFr3kaDTX3NwHphOKiVa4hSfhlp_baI3hTF8u8zn0YeY9g29A97ictz_8yocd1tTNP6suXz8eGD4_wILyNSIOdlwK5Nr7P2n1KKn_Z6IpVGErfDJVJvdSFDnbbTTwArYISMGi_Hfiip18_yTQiXjJdFeuBhalYPq4vOOpOahxNmu18M0rFCidw_IuR0b0GPcTNmBfFnLJmHZP1GhcFd15AVBuAbcItbeMm1UkchOYZejEhWqTp20xA9ItZdakVjsJT6sWJ9ayzQlDJIGaTsXNnmUp34w3EN3T9KibIdV9NygY5KHq3HnXHL8C60JfCdJWfaJNpds0PdWv-qX-NVxT1OrruhUoivFaRZRNmO_9m3dPniUTOXmUvB_wskpKzYX35MW7l-t53I-79ffqq-T5nCLViCGMFLMe6nkN4DBQfhJK4L5jAHNtjA_LaySitSgE7A=w1187-h792-no

The ranger giving our tour was a quirky guy with a dry sense of humor. I’d seen him earlier that morning when we were buying one of everything in the gift shop, and we had started joking about what the TSA might think of some of the items if they searched our luggage. We both thought it would be funny to put a green glowstick in there to really sell the gag. Or at least, it would be funny in somebody else’s bag.

Anyway, the ranger told us that for the tour, he wanted us to start thinking like spies and saboteurs—to try and adopt the mindset of how someone could break in and/or tamper with the site to cause a rogue missile launch. In fact, he said, he was pretty sure there was a spy among us—and by the end of the tour, he’d be able to tell us who it was.

This made sense—if you recall in the opening chapter, I’d mentioned that one of us was most definitely a spy. Considering the way the beginning of the trip had been completely sabotaged, it wasn’t hard to imagine.

The ground floor of Delta-01 had all of the government-issue blandness you’d expect. The officer’s quarters:

wTYSgE4UVq5Y7rDlwRzRD8uKHxEKxjU_E-qe2QOztG1gjHNjGMFaqnkS6Ys9JUkto67zTmaSy57PCNOJoXTPUv1Ol5sOMprFqxC59ky4M6RdC7oEClnxmK2itB-Ke57VBj_TliyCs1qJjv8A2ebbuGdaZJufvE4uILODVCQfRwrx84APwTD33YVwilThXfKVblz7LB4j68XwnSUrhB3sKCPSeM7Xu2Nl48S-Y5lFUBGolndtdTRF4FovfsQ28aa93AqXCIkjuMiIYqkV0dnAlBcfWgfBgL9cGzVn5zRctL_oLJ1Bai5xh921VUZm2G9s6NKU081qTsXRqU4qQyrI5z1AUieiGHs2gSm3R3r7LNWhjW-WkFwwoBGUcCBqNfO9xf-dGzN1MfwNAR3u_6-p9dJoRn4P5si1vXC3BRVGUbmBCJPvFZ5GFI31YXAhsvn9ZiQreMYDldUr41xwce5kukEmsV8vt6QS8zSbEESZ_dHa29GMCqTpG2zN1ytVjVOd1xoeV67BfgXy3pbp1Qblm2natE5rZQ-qZbtEMrJAaosl4OOmVDbydDl2jXqU8Ya4HjWAkFKfRi_6L0wO0on0eSGWrXguoaeN2o9hsxcgaCHkp5ne=w1187-h792-no

Dining room and lounge:

uPTv3DrpvKlBVfIeis8d42qlOBdM7AtUIpS6zYssFd2g5STJ18LrWZy4qTue_m6jNPfETVi9YJrARlSV-puDFnAA28gCaNYdRW22JLgxTbuwgmqZbTtlRZ3MoiKVBRU2FR27nbYltd0sYTlN3MLdfqOANfVTfAaeuh5MSczgW4izi0yAHRoFk8vGmIMEYi4TETkLoRDREg4DlrDJqkAsS5dPe6lieu34Q54duSEo2QC-XxkMuwikMyQ0u9nHdYjkrl9FVphh2j8WAmyS_KHmsImo9l0nPmjdTChpyNgbesZLNFwQYDrsvX7CzvyVuXH1JN-IS2mqrpS2UPomVfAwNnGbvXFTfn9crWASBZ7VeO9lvbenJmf4fFiwOIdEKwUmQH0WA5SBP99t7hJfg1TWEhmPTVR1zChWcEwe0CoIx3Q4JvSPjrjfjP64ajaD-SvjCWMO5WctebA7U01cpLe2ZnJijIYhapvugVB8YDEY81cPN-0koFq4RxkF9SnclejwqRopii_v-aut49ugJmK6rARo6qHdaGCONJHr_x9eC_EZ8eLTT1ht-5ajK6posa2VkarBG_q7b1aaAc6zxHzjaYs3NN8MW7A0SUd_lE6rgHLvzk_D=w1187-h792-no

In the kitchen, the ranger pointed out that the refrigerator and freezer were locked. Any guesses why?

94BLCxS3ijz3nTP4RcLA2tz4c_v40Z2_JhQt2DltuGYpwW-q4_fZVu7324bg5eu1GzWw0UVgcZmqMl98khZcr1QwcgrEYVordkAPVHz8ScZaOM9hWx9h-CR5tSi3PHRFkoDBz1sa4_wtsCP5BRaeTSdlhdkn3hDA6xwWLsTp-t8YE-KWHfylSRFawCi2599YCrwH9OhyTz79lp8xY-5hQFtuMHlolNc_zIDT10Vr6x3T9gM1xWzGJ1XRWN9ZMlgBZAKuPXJpNFEzsZUB5-fvHtfK6joiRSOHrL05_jvtkYrsdi9GCfOC1x5zMrVQpVXJu0ysq1o79ojc5_QcxWnjrrKMqo1uFzkzYLan0-CyRgFhGQGo7dyf5CNik39owuVbqjT17LANfNg2DGyP3a90Hb-hdBecxpNRPAihLhf2SttebBqOqU4xaz0WJfI-pLb8GwrPjt13lXsgfBuv8FIJ-gdx048sxfSi-xFUljEgGgxRi5vyWe-Z-nNGI4mUJ_2X1rFb_sJKybqY-auytMA5wq_AXDOkfIGXmVA_Ps5Kn68f4yNJLtH0DMmlvvrH5YlVOfeLZfqDNdCfDCaC3ZpeHbKhbjX21DvwtQLZVAGMr5HjJtwy=w557-h835-no

Remember, you have to think like spies and saboteurs. Only the cook would have the key to the lock, to make sure no one could poison the food supply.

At the front of the building was a large desk in a room with windows all around and several phones. This was the lookout station. Guards here would be ready to call in an alert if anyone approached the building from the outside. So, in essence, their job was to sit in there for hours at a time staring at the South Dakota landscape.

Yeah. You couldn’t pay me enough. At least they got rotated out. Soldiers manning this and other command posts came from the nearby Ellsworth Air Force Base.

We then piled into the tiny, cramped elevator. This is the reason tours are limited to six people (or 7, when the ranger is feeling generous). The elevator was only built to handle two missileers and all of their gear. Everything in the building is preserved exactly as it was when it was in operation, so there are no plans to build a newer, bigger elevator. They want to keep the historic accuracy intact. I see this as a good thing.

I even found this reminder posted on the elevator wall. Imagine if this was your daily honey-do list.

tEmYyOlcBkAzUy1RGc-rTNoZGvyWwDG8rExolMIAL3iU6dYVrnbXFEBEAq3bMtXzbXfGOyZMEQfsoKWHQlLiqqB0NaaCFWIf5po7Ub-E3P7qcL0oCA6-89Y2kIONK9VWI0Wtu9ycB1KiNlyC5xHTfkqLKBNxHZ6oPVft-xiykrpkj82QL5BcKynpkCDvX-krMySHWcEody1Yx3x91eaRN6T3ZJvbCIcmK085Dw80AteUYqF-2ZgEIWAD3RKBBEy28dMzqNsiKT570TIg7qdZcq34wTJ-dG3EikbItZBsM9_AfMIJUAKr3vzpQV11C8b-p8IAcMHswobf2SgxrhQSfExOAqSkc1E698a47o5FF-y3tvVuPvqRRR_CiDKqnFIKLcwEolre5CjiC74adaFN_ygMGwhJEpQQo0vPUAzSxqrYHhU_OM6HqoUHKgo3y0Iyq3HVB76DX_OyEtybWppVJdcCJ2M0ARmjxCuyr7pDdEfh6Hg2_nYTdiz6m5tLHPee6nqtvgYCtd4NXKXoa56TA0cWoiP91IsdKmaMxOEBBE-ELZ9D6sxlRCrdrD-46I8R0rWNncmPcdMMHEWZWPL7MoVv9-VCjENHGjBJwF5xYUi5qmHA=w627-h835-no

We all piled in and the ranger closed and locked the gate. Only then did he ask us if we had insurance. The reason he asked is because we were all in an elevator built in a couple of weeks by a low bidder who’d never built one before and didn’t know how to spell the word “emergency”.

bJMB5TyICuj2VzSbpKVIDurFHRq4sDhgus7--RKbe4Y9YU5oZLgBR6komJDj-ddeeRt6MtfDz7eAkRtHpHficVRgrE4SL_aa1_9vdnMS5WvFEgYrnv2aQ3SFw5E-h48Lj75E80GkDPhW2xFr1LIziq1TajRmsX2LDK_BneUL7V3FbkBxgpRBNMlUcuat7-yEYWmBa_Zq7qAXc6ixwkfsmZyqSbKt646kaeIX9WrWSEkUdOExfXpcCnV0VADOsuj0Eve6Jp3ZQbLbFV9QpcJ1DBEsenhpLqh6qhj9gKE0d82MhTIjzNgxdV6fJgsU1cF6SBg4x8uDJ6NbPU8bDH9PGlUThMvSspxBDjmigoUtCWyqeOZUCWVjc5bmS-whZrYXSHTSpmtT_XH5YB-jy0H_Dlbkjun7tJBMXUU-iA-UX2y_CVYnzqvnmuO4EQ9tDBdEPC0QWYYpHa6K2ue6no63HE00UOphjuiVwlocS3p6Xw7ahrEkOqKD-0IJ3xQ75UmCW9Y5EV_TkKzzFbEA_oSw1ESCsA4oR0BETBXuI7K5nhoxQgyzLCDzxWX6nzDdZCLXK4rtSJIUom076Ze1P_msb-PADIe2MD_qbOXeKePp-iloqYtt=w557-h835-no

Then he hit the button and we descended 20-30 feet underground.

We managed to get to the bottom safely. Just outside the door, there were several historic photos on display. This one showed the actual missile command hub under construction. This is where we were heading.

JLOamYFgXWnbG0W0AibWpjgPxVIAcRR1qgQ4dt9p82v1HrJSFBZF5EOmbcIkAhYOfBffEujWDqI7HACR29tPiR6a_b5Y72NElqBwlqyUSgoQybzVwVXJZ7v9BBLPtgQtwAN10U17T3FiWAEXyve5scKH9MYHwQajBJYHTZQkjA6wD0ZwmxPbQ5LGTZ4cM78QffCZCEJA8yFNKF56vYo7jWrfabfv_xwoG_Vw7WL0LkSa26PwAqgyRefBwqgHh7Ac1x7PApmg8ScORGFZ47bdefcgfvMQouuVRLqm54rCVhlMN7DiC8dOJwiUkstW2HblfgP8Fg1wESHDncV022cDsgPa0hefgH_Q6vcRjo6sryy2QYhKvZ4jQ1uM894NYzd9qnpy8jyxza1PMfWrnn1UFiJiqkCLJQHuLabb8eP6EI25pxXcGjLQ6XSsDfpFbashsJyZz1JFa367Gy9PwcOStvQe9sSRoNxwxTZi79fmenmxPFitAYK3y1gAH8HvWp_74G3PSWgSCKvHnBOk6tEcrMtla0hG3drKucNmCuW1eSNBPHtH6aWxy17qaxqOZteNLzgQBqWI31s5-MAzLuXAoxyVHH50zOY_8d5iBssTzyvUzM3c=w1114-h835-no

That cylinder housed all of the firing controls for the missile station. It was mounted on some sort of hydraulic jack system that would keep it perfectly still—no matter what was going on above the surface. No accidental vibrations or tremors to cause any problems.

cH0T-4gma_AoRtSAnGOMn6nCMvHH266dQLLlXWxPgDh7HP3jUwfeq6RqCl5deZzJvB6BG-5g8FwQ_pREykeU2k9hH0NKClnF0GHoAs7LaOYl5ilzyOoVoa_KzMzMtcv6Ga0ZgrEhasr5a3xoj6m8nD_jnApECfL08_PmXgXIIYwpu1K9848YUHj0B9qwDnRlmlwDqZ2QcY5jwu2S-oB0zpjJxSWb6df4lChaNA1GtaJMui_ffmBqla7jAoqMS-5sbEl8l9U2zq0mvbGt0P1u4wiQCwhovnXb-emXUZTFSPmoKz_9n31hTsrWSUkHVXbdhYHZlYeZQS0lhkmIF2k-wkSfTY5-894o4qT5U4v1qaabCzktPgb6oqHTBIZoM7K09cG-6Ya75yWCcpwiNbF-yTaNUopIRTF6HPcetUWoM0uvwvKKzbLdRp0NYCcpUuAZ1069KPtExRkJt2zVp8ZH4m2rwgYr-Zwg7OWbdn3GWkAHZeQgX8ZFHJJs3ChfJAqS8bfDS83M-BnIXbHsqik1DmHttfvPpCGqln9RugDxoQ2ZKIk3VJ5_dQAUxkksQgkI7V6ig90YdoWa-eL037c80YExD5nHrJ__HVdSiX0qKJFZPo7v=w1114-h835-no

Inside the control room, the ranger showed us all of the various apparatus designed to end all life as we know it. There was most likely less computer power in this room than in the device you’re reading this trip report on. He gave us a detailed show on how a missile launch would actually work—and yes, there are two different stations where a missileer would have to insert and turn a key simulataneously in order to successfully launch. Those two key stations were designed so there was no way one person could reach both at the same time. Even when the keys were turned, nothing would necessarily happen—agreement on the launch command had to come from the command center at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska—or, if it were compromised, from Looking Glass. Looking Glass was (and, I believe, still is) an airborne command center. It is constantly flying, serving as the backup command center in case the ground base is destroyed or compromised.

TsVuxlXSGx-Lpn-skabDuDHOnEsxjIej60HtNoMmkhy0ht7rX8WJgWZChb5YpBV3JFhWZAiFNY0vgTB9R6WMJxOiaM9tWEbrsOyqVQrgGcZg6RLIm5eAI_EYiJkdoiIj3a-RC-FgX_nHmhAa7TeWlu4JlN9-3OuGsw74ckShyQEg26d8tN03ur017LfF9RGRWlu0Gp49LO46liAGybMZ5Hg64TrlM-e_9ivZSx9mkdays-l-ZhAMcgziHSKPcNDnz-rbq6nsEgw8kesRNDYt693d7G9x7ycJkL4_dfHFk-R3PRau82WI2ftOn_9cSLXnoIArMXDazIgbhvkCJQPbAt5bMreHr35WaWR_rbkAixagX7j4VDsHZdumZSpuhGOJZ6rjtzXwdyFcVWzRiIEHX5YPqE1TG0TB5X6QBACetk8O1EI1w42ClL0JWLIxloNx3aXsuooe6YltaKA16xvFk2Li3fL9sG8bO03wZy5jJ-gljbQiRDysISa0qsscG2gCIGeZij02dge9hgF4Ga-jpS3URe3h5RCuwDObof4gRALNb5eUy1Mgpsz1F50WuQE3zz15m1z_Da_AxSzkFC2r4v9aZDCMVSJxM8ry2eLYQWAQGLDw=w557-h835-no

ldUIOYVg3V2xfnEnIIisg0ZzPO7MnEYPRNXf5gOHxlsJTzuMcdj_EvYYkNeyPoUWrNPZ-kna09AYFzOlHqRtWvOcAiWcYcHuNTNCad2u74o2XDN1ywkKVeiFYdYJ7OBhnacDHvKZjigeT1j1x5-tGkWT15Rs3cJcM_0gtEH6xMVaP58A-4-1gkdPHrwfYkGdFA4ZmsfclqGttHUlwqG0y0EzumzzBHYr1Yrik7gVE-RweioeQC2abFWnm4UwfGylUIlYNzVs6PUaU78LPryPcjc0MW9TcAKPobTxjOStA7MiI5FRms07lafqGLgmnlwAdb07muZlie2AE_BfUQBZ_jbYc1RGcB6T7ZyOnDj1Hy1Lor6Ff2N9MTnhMJOOBEDNtzNGnUqHemnkEFV5j6BCXJgla0OrsDUKgDEtHRPC48Y87WiFPQqYCpJv82xI1H_KafZcIlF2LtbOkNI3uKAhHRa19wZQH_LmxIlPYtE-1eQLmTGeCxM-JodoSpzFOl8ovpm1N-97VMxReg271tNfw1Pjfkb19wbOec6WJv7bBz36AVDyeDiHzehRakOydw6FJM8dt4Idegyx7UWeZDukh7HeLl05-TZMLWFtVxb54Bk4QSCc=w627-h835-no

I liked this label of “Secret Crypto”. That just sounds cool.

5OIi0YOq7UQDXTgaSmLcT6TgO1WEvnBmMEE10z6AeebbqOjmYwWCYxTbpSdJoKpK67-zfA9m93bu52_mcLGDpZJANMEwDf8Pz6BfwfVBsAKObyxyujpN4QpsUDqfdNhiirSaMsakYCZC1kxVTXS6buA1KlXEZ3nRSVsIb-MKc8Zv1C8_JYdDq5MDup5Y-c1czI8i_5SMrngzz9IGepGUdYswYqv7w-ngSp5_4Z1O2UI8UY-Z4rkrBLDnw4MBIqobMWDeeRgdRNhlQy1ZTEoJcz0LO199Oeis3PNnqwP6a5YjPoPQC3cx2_3zDmVhp0SWCB21vOT_7p2megcBC4Ip2gK0AuVoik1h-Ncn-M50uEUSWFPXEdmp0GQIM7jyUP02q1r5Ofpq5gFkrxL7cTpaCNnBtKrHJxaKO4VgSncq-A0xi0mHlXkrWR4gyLm7ywYdHLlGVy26w5duQFp1d5OMU1oIwRONHw2x8tKeuWTtiV4B1ORF9SpZOZUy8f534ZjSHJ5f5ZcM1zmiZeDO7QIO1WMpTRy-IIeGFyKaNDeWhFLll96IxmlFK3TGKlyOuujcUlnKcDPskT-taI8910_9qOYIJK0IBxncj_dkHyj7CwcnamCL=w1187-h792-no

Here, Scotty demonstrates the proper technique for destroying a continent.

zAG6f2SLo90MBrzlv2x9ukYL-gHHm8jtoaERJPV1E22pPZTlXD1l9zKxwRtTorYYLuzwDYZk2jce9PtFjQKjL9XRGlu6kh_h5ognfI9R61e0LZY5z75DNSGdaYAL6wxQ1dwgAckynb6He_edkqYB6YODh1Ax1vS6a7mRnsDUm_U1iK8kb46mnnk-5LXX4DGyKnGXzxmUQsfvdFkjGLm0uGuPpcd4U68XVTzVJNFQnJtUM3wK2slTU8sOKilnC1ukRV-Xct8j4ilxFY0WO-WaiQmkYTBqXEgK4GMW0FuGrItkD56SFyAwfcnFd1zKskPGRWv3wEoMyk8KvW89NYyUZhcRVwoxx2XYMpwOua-xqmX_AdpUsp9e2F9P88ybrnORIV1MxpGk_Oh-8o5VYMDzav5ywCyIjnxhJPBxWqEta5V4vIbnyXGvY4KtjxsVUgo4TCatjEoVwY8BbrArv553V96xK7mp7ZkTK35HW7lXc27sEPSdD98ioGm0VU1jlqUvpMzI714OslCSAeJIsqiKX-uXP8Hi5fZpGTnX-OX7xqUuW8VFUOp2tCp50vxqvPDC9_X5vr5WXQwvtWlx7UgtVU0nOARbFiZHDGts-Sh8u6150kb1=w1114-h835-no

Again, thinking as a saboteur, the ranger asked if we had any way of sabotaging the equipment. He pulled out a tiny golf pencil and showed that he could simply shove the end into one of the missile locks and then break it off, rendering it useless. However, the designers had even thought of that, so they’d built in a way for the command center or Looking Glass to take over and control the launch if need be.

Delta-01 did have rations and supplies for about a week in case of nuclear attack. There was even an escape tube attached to the hub. But the missileers themselves knew the “escape tube” was basically a placebo. Theoretically, it was a tube filled with sand, and when they popped open the hatch, the sand would fall out and they'd have a path to the surface. In a nuclear attack, the pressure and heat from a launch would be so intense that it would turn the sand to glass, sealing the tube forever. Most of them knew that an attack meant they were never leaving.

The ranger started to lead us out of the hub, stopping to mention that he was about to name the spy embedded in our family. We filed out behind him, ready to capture the perpetrator. We gathered outside the elevator, waiting for Sarah to bring up the rear.

“There you have it,” the ranger said. “Your daughter is the spy.”

Aha! Book her, Dan-o!

How was the ranger so sure? Simple, he said. “The spy is always the last one to leave.”

tDL9tx74rxPF-aCeRjg6Fl75OvCvHLHznHW7Aohh2FF0YhjBNjvI3cWxsp8IQtSSmCXjlFbdkKsJU8ELGVV6ygGe4w-kesWIk0HHXh6o950Rjbqg7T4wa2wivg1Lb1Ixy5EFIZG8IXS8Y3mO0RWL2zoj2mR_1fpc-r_rWqtUhQSjKg3fnaZ5OFN6nfL-wDUe65l4uh_F4Iz4PmdDcxW4yl-8LeuybogZUzNnVreDeC9AdB2fywuTjsePttGHuGFYiUQgMepCp0rU6asbVdLUT1LxrW6qAYwZJF7XdhLOVC4C4biBXMricmqQYfPq4ZkYRLFBg8g8mnc2kYko4RTL2qZJGhv29KWikF8rEwKj76DEMqa6GnDYjF6Kp76SYHBve-S7jgIy3MJt52CLlKH0po8b2WKVnkX-NJ5sT5dIu_QSV_v8mhidJ_KotIx8Ww3oLPXRh9B5zZwGKuZI1J-rvpSOIsPkmEoRYGU1zPwrx9UVr5gRamuL2hZ8ncDWEZWgLYiA8GleImwGlSzhjL628fJp9a4cWSKmgirIUYjwePS0AOdyUDz4EJkBkhi15TPZFd7Vkqbvkn02TYyNxFuLWpHjrwjp1VXy0hHZkk1bTiWuy2CX=w1187-h792-no

We walked back to our van and thanked him profusely. As we left, the next tour was just starting, right on time. You wouldn’t expect anything less from a military operation.

8cbu-45T5C2ztBXhpRwzamyw3ryiWhzX180ewxBE37UVWO80P-r-jgrQ9n_h_OI0k6yjvvPF2OLJoa9MW9URWoClqg1ilwA3rBX-ODPzg-TIV7xmVa5qYus_2WXWFfiTe1XEIDeNIt6nGO384uVJ8Iag6XHXLbhNT4-LCpUSZ6p1-viVwzJw4KvX12nZhvjPdj3FMC2GAELZPyBexJj3ZI5i4CJRtn7ylME8CPQNBpjjbROOYRt1nDEu4Z4f482UIOFV7lIuw0mQ7MrFx8CnOQeWdJMGwxQTG00kk6N4Sa0SgxU6HR68d17dfCNbysIXlc_O96PrYJqnQX1XC7y9sAGPvxDvrQI1DcBK4aSJL-L4kjMSzNwby7Jzp26DbzmgkdsQHbOvDCUwSh1ejl2IManwRLMzkLZYI_IRWMvEn9dogkVrMYYSz2tg5U2bwk6ngzzjOrBW1BA0oqFo14S7IvrxCj-ZCLHdQIR6T59JqNcjULIMvtel33hjbcCN3phnzrTu6w8uI9lB3ApTeLg3f6QJXeMhggqmQj884FeICoHgsu7dUE46Lm8_CznRxC-5nJhfVOpdD0KscmQb30LGHoSi7XuOypNKpB5YT-eEmm5wRul2=w1187-h792-no

Standing outside the van, I took a look around at the vast nothingness of South Dakota and the nondescript building beside me. Somewhere out there were thousands of silos holding nuclear missiles like the one we’d seen earlier. It was hard to believe that from this very location in the middle of nowhere, life could have ended. It was a little creepy.

You would think that all of this site would be top secret, but in actuality, it wasn’t. Everyone knew where the missiles were generally located. This was part of the national policy of Deterrence. The idea was that if your enemy knew exactly how much firepower you had, they’d realize the futility of ever launching that kind of assault against you, knowing it would result in mutually assured destruction. Seems crazy, but no one ever started a nuclear war—so, I guess it worked.

I can’t recommend this tour enough. We all loved it. Speaking for myself, it was my favorite thing we did on the trip. It was a completely unique tour, and I’m glad we made the effort to get up early and see it.

You might think that after a national park and a tour of a missile site, our day would be full. But you would be wrong. There was still that matter of collecting on a promise of Free Ice Water. We drove west on I-90 and stopped in the tiny town of Wall, South Dakota. It was time to visit Wall Drug.

RHkK-kqwmsXzbyQJXdYgfD9ZsQW81JnNQhAzC_uigF8LoI6OL50fXCTaKYOGkvR0UwU2NMxn4xkBR3orhyc1TstHPPJCMZGWQL5Tq8hQfq85VAFlAO8QjN5o2N9-e9XvdzkItinw_mmWyWz01FyEzBaYubhhWp1Rmxd0FT7itBowrvJrrl-vNEb1CgXGYz6RQY_5LQD06iVmoB8vrC17vGzTqT_9ZlkFH3u8hcMvHK4DFT3fuPZueNs5w-aMs__7EJEZH0Qr9rB89XuHYqHFtbc89XwISksc4PjjHFQTpH2pRwqrby40fVscgG6zi0B3lwdhV_y2S4LWhSyRAIrx5DBP_UNUXc8ief0XwxgWCX610u-TCAN_gVu35quWWQrLsOJI7V1i4_e7kucoYBhNqmb3KGYRBA4O09gfMKuJncwsWz47nUf6S3i84x7BYxmSFO3ZTu_lDiGAjiS0K0Y6gwTC9-fvUs5LpgdRJKkt5AwR6VLAPkyV9op3k4tiLPtdxjGkkcblHuQGi2yjdi49yxlDwuno7vHFWixPShjblNgZc3_eSIbOlrtn9FEObo_y0c3-FMnCLTr87MtCAr7KGx9Ma8KgiTKUx5qI_LVGjGpHXhWV=w1187-h792-no

Let’s get this out of the way: Wall Drug is a tourist trap. That should be completely obvious. Thousands of billboards littering the highways, the fact that it’s obnoxiously big enough to cover a city block, and overly kitschy western theming give it away.

However, I think it was worth a stop—once. I certainly wouldn’t recommend multiple visits. I think Wall Drug partially redeems itself by the fact that it knows it’s a tourist trap, and embraces the role fully and completely. They’ll sell you any crappy souvenir you can think of, and a few you haven’t dreamed up yet. It has a sense of humor about itself in a way that South of the Border did not.

And in defense of tourist traps, I’ll say this: when I go on vacation, I don’t want to see ordinary homes, buildings, or neighborhoods. I want to see things I’d never get to see at home. This fits that description. And when you think about it, isn’t Disney World a very nice, luxurious, high-tech tourist trap?

We made sure to track down our free ice water. They didn’t make it very easy to find, but the kids were obviously very excited. Excited in that, “Dad, why exactly are we here again?” kind of way.

Te6eHuGAg1g4SieoQEBodp7eRSipNFcG7VrFU_Badsba1xAXABRlnA0no2rmFbroDU8_XmNRIuQuL_2h0-HC_8pRoOkUX5xWct7R2sKQ3_mSZaCbw5CXmMEGNo-gSyhhR_aVT0irtugyJzESmjPOTU-f6r9KdziDh6bB9pJA1TlgiB-hwXbgktGviHAY3GEN6Ep37GHwrnQG8JVeIi-Vx8Jv9GM26jYURoRlW26rbd9akCAHxSZVBsb5MXn-cnz55k0nwqbutNHmkT25Ni5rBVXyKWbdtSsnfNkA4M7rKSFmb5Fy_zdiAKQiXpvzOIDYC-w02Gw7vV1dUR2EttQcTX5Q5uXMGaCWk25caL2tfVY5jnyIX61giZUraejRaLYi_3FZKSxmyJgIuRGrGygr1TqWMUSPnHarFHvOL0R2PyH9H8nIaTn5dnptvIhRaYfHTmeSY8_z0oWnPrKaLI6xoKHdgi6xWUEn_BJHOC6C9wpwZPmIKUHMUuIc6_dUV6A-ojLutm3cqNK8hik49HqX4zdO6WJ4rNOnlTu8Zaxzu7HnFtn_mDM7EdtUzdLk3VZ6KcnzXJ-Oa1uj_mmtfIvMRobErgpgauxKiCsxeSNqiHI0T7IW=w1187-h792-no

We also grabbed a free “Where The Heck Is Wall Drug?” bumper sticker. After all, if it’s free, it’s for me.

Some of the popular items in the store reference the legendary South Dakota jackalope, which I’ve never encountered in the wild but I’m sure is very ferocious.

TKdHhhNqS2AfTh6wRLppyQnqSnZiPc28RNotFohCxHgAxkaAw27sRcW6_sJNibijGvuqa6GAX0f9JuJzPB79fUfxLV8QGEwvOLMAfakKiUiAnUuqXeUrT-N3s2BSLQNhoDHUuFuJbiVHWt1r1jKdjan4a13dSNjKk7D14UBh4oStXcdz3O3SNEuD3s8-xOwv4KxzMjOSzn7lVbSkjn0yw-30kWC8z41jtyrhH-eiKAF1QlT4DWALbc47OIx3QYtXAAoWiMOpFx0QKxKintCkwD-gHZQNI4A8Gmo_Jm70BJvq1L-in8UG2QVmWcATHI_rJ_yiL790ocPRSi72bqx49OdOBpkGXocu0RbYK5IjAgUIH0ioEkuEyjgwfpYJ3bVvQAv6d9yqnp-l0LFS47HWwaQzkArWF52fuBFS1sGjmsgfpQXR-khlKAwGH5gzs5ZlW2aQaPeoI4HBZ80RUxW7MEwinoN2YQB5Sf9YFmTER6KSEUK4wLmnXb8JUgFsy6foT7xthSunmP9dyVeNPyDkFX-pD6OSF1HZ09Vqa4H119ub2b0pukjG5lHT4YKeyvPyOPyD5xopv6W81sE8J8a5pYjfbM553yJvzwGYotg2eLHo0_TW=w627-h835-no

Or you may want a wine/beer bottle holder. You never know if you need one of those.

p3pVcv_XCBIT-I5jocuOS_H7c_6ZObWcS2cxmsgSkBFHf_QIYYS-ybdvdM9EDoxSuC1cR0vE05FucW58ljMFM1FPgfTTfS4fVViUCNf98O3UPyjcbWFtdwjFnWBI0xTKlPbi-0Hr_7EsReNoo0oX4TN0U2LepgXGnz8mNlIdU0LBuAjaOCtg_um_bCOHuF8Dhj8p6q1zee2sRpBTHRl5luMxvJJmML0c9J0j6UhezvaGMRCKVnyZDUCjQE1-d478CpktWtoHSEkPX4u9uj06872RHrPur1YFRZgg2gHBnF4Cqkeplc7uPy91oGtx4qq1LAZMvOHoMMYKjnvBuzCotBkRwqQ6-tVVpomj7VXNI9z9e-yTlbI4Udus0vuj_7gmElHULDrGh-n1p0EcoLFiHfzkLTjSD6p7BgkSDPmpw9tNzVNEorIZR0a6PZL76M9KYzaZscVCBSl6XK8SOkmLKYXo_OeHJ98yZcCySRiPqEQxzeK8SNAhEIpK7YqwkR257SP0118_jXQqu6zQl2BPCKvv02lovQcGGY-8joRVkeCFukcvY5TAhkGk5Qik6nY8WqjxIWhP19UVcWLvBI0G_uLAvqTGnYATmW8abct4Qa2eljGD=w1187-h792-no

Out back, they have a water play area and a photo spot where you can take a ride on the legendary jackalope. I mean, why wouldn’t you want to visit this place?

zRfvnFalltDs-lV96MCaM5gMUiHhwj5NVDNQSvK3fqf2lF4nn2iuap0qE9UjhVVXh1on5SHzss5pNw5FUu_Ev8zm6Ffnx10zk84pXJK6KfjumemKtx28aGAAEY22PoUrVWeQfWmD9OxI1hs2XbXSqOF1DUCx44gSdYjDC0dRyRRnegFfDwEwk2JXQ4m1GzaZXLh_3ddCsOKY5HCfiuhdaReCi_7lkcSRIMz5ffX_Pjgz1Gxu6gwgY3dWi3w4QyugYbsu8070tFtjvqRdoqm7LuEd84BSlI76dcgl8XoyrPOuS3gFpOVV8LIFLwWQQ-Jjm42ozfZ4TvgxJ2G-ykRtsjT8dBVsd4NeCRpGPDEzLgY1Y0RVv6j3Q3A3aFn9x-FSg4MMcwESSlLXUi0os56REhNi8AKCbQEDkZY5-QLf7bmhAHZvAvvApmNfGqTFiridmOe4AxvSJGbf5gAz3BZichcE9bFbVIA848-V8ZyIwLPc2FNSHkml952KJe5ZTUVfw-El6GqsTCDio4Tw1PH5k8sqpksRnomOtUCByC1twh7xolVQA75kMQnnVig0Bpi1a8NOKB3zvh_t-V3J-ZCpzbY_wyn1wiVFg4PdKKTR_AyXkeEb=w1187-h792-no

All in all, we probably spent about 20 minutes, including a bathroom break, wandering and either laughing or rolling our eyes at the sheer stupidity of the place. It was probably about 17 minutes too long, but now we’ve been there, and…well, we probably don’t need to go back.

We met up with our friends for dinner in downtown Rapid City at the Firehouse Brewing Company. Our friends had arrive early, maybe about 4:45 p.m. or so, and grabbed a couple of tables. We got there about 5:00. The place got packed shortly after that. Again, people, Rope Drop works.

LSS51dFAFz8x75BPCY2IiEQCrLVZy-q2M4vHlLXdUwOdhDhFNmoZYKMi-qYiWLgGfUbqXXcX8VVp6nDsAMN-9xxW4N21EKHdib5EgQuGGigw5R8zGqyHNILp1fWRUufl21H97J11fTVvUOoMHRXKtLQlcfvKnNoIR1Nzqz9eoanag6W6_fyOj5Iz495WJwn5ucKRaUkFLmfKcgO90L6L9lQ6NUpsHum4uLbpJRlDmA0MGs0_z_u2XkCQv11EwE4ioU0AUm3FxaEg-5LZHbAxlb6tAow6ruji-tnbaon6csaX26e7K62Jar7Yofc8Y-7n017wOOsA_IusIPYDrA0Lfa0TIo9j5phExlzpM1pMxYVeTac8Xbs3XxBrkUuSSDc7uk1N76V6JwNZun2I7m3JXtTQGP-f5EYydxWxoteYzwdJWRjPfyO6ZVsa6Ta-holW0dkkS_YHamf4QK9wo4bKHQTGz79f4V1JpLvh9_97Nxoh9ReMZ8dCIeleQq3WylGPi_OEuec_Mpbn5RzQ6CPqF4dPGwXnwjdRh31hFaOavhVT8wBsRE_4W1mutkHxiC6-jUUtTbbTEPdg3-e9P2kYOFu_0cM5zlNrvavA1XstMWdxdq_q=w1187-h792-no

We somewhat reluctantly exchanged their potty-trained son for our non-potty-trained toddler. Then we made all of the kids sit at a separate table anyway. The restaurant gives all children a free plastic fireman’s hat. Yes, this is what dinner typically looks like at my house.

Y39j42q6fULr7MKi6Bmh5Fq5cW6EXnEHNaO1okEmnFTVUo22WoWR8Bp1IYoMrmV3Qo0_Y3KGQLjf7mZLaKQ5Ykjdbw73J1XDh4dwOCMXd386XZIa1W0f21x6HD4-oYY9iavXYhuV7kUWP9YA0iTVRUBh56AjyLsnU8yce_NfKKZ_fMZoKDKeMuhji8co2cVb8QfVHdRM_PfPXDyk6FWpcBHfyR3ERRQ8FaWK2w3wwTRt8sdL_zVO8eEPv_AM80MmK9jD6S2MdnQ_WdDKFYc9tRlmYr0CAapXOZJfyfnuKqxSB8NVev23MzpeIOoahxH6sDB2LqycwKz94Qk5edD_jDR9yL5Q_TyYTAlMsHn2p0FAj45GDhHWW6q7AP_GXRZrxRcdgQY8Tc-xip2Btr9YWo8YxBUNnmNbonJNoTjwxUx1GgdL8av0pByo2HhH8If52Tfoc57N6BAOqBKSOHfR44ckLMnu4lOBpuFz46CZW0JHetacX3QdsYO3oZtz0PuY3-djBst7IdSwC75UE2BmLpRpiqjYbNjMF2Z51iefbeQdgsx7jo8iEb6GIJlfb89mKEYGHYwX9jPtqpTDkbStsKW89AB1PTx0pAb_p-TZoRs8GgDK=w1187-h792-no

Anyway, the Firehouse gets its name from—you guessed it—being built in an old firehouse. That made for a pretty neat atmosphere. We were actually sitting outdoors on their “patio” which was in an old garage bay. Also, I think they wanted to make sure all of these kids kept their noise outside. Smart.

Xs2gRpTjElNzxAVYK-GLeiWcHlr5E--W0UhtXtOPwAn-neWF6R6z0qa4jZaivAOycAH5CvP3ZOKnZREX_1RdLS15d1F59yb8I0yvgNiXXMciGIMSBxTkiAHsnCWOVCdk3tsBMcROvgdWlnh7qE3UgicHGzWs9sFMm2uytVEWIU1ULpYg07kve3TCWgFg7IE2_WqqorhWjajvEEhAT6VhKaDv7tiwc-t3gZktxr2kR08-eAj9PlFavhOtSSPXtfNcdUC7Y0yDwmxQdEDXyiy_ae1YjjAeFfuJLoQPnvg9t9odcNrbqNwmg_BDGrxaTyAMTg6X8DLyp_bMhAqUO5NS9nsBXCZC39dm593sK-Vrb1SMkiSJvXAocDEiGKo4bICerxtvCGy86Ew86aifekRwrOkzLsVBGnx8s1t3bsRdOdN0GGh1Hc_i6iEz09-79BsSF7ZEiTtcoAilZvkU9jzn6-DvBU4I7cmCC2cskkQ39MN4BLli8N8zrNiXtf1zC9m6NfrKWLttQ-Z9z-TG9PWRZQUSsIDs2DTP9-hMSJM6cojQN2mG3SI1m2cJGZctFNSkkMItRu5OxHwa2ozm190H2hiNTV-SBOMIAl4KVoGPgCIm-Stt=w1187-h792-no

I wouldn’t have minded sampling one of their house brews, but ever since our older kids started ordering off the adult menu, we’ve instituted a “Water Only At Dinner” policy in order to try and keep my wallet from overheating. It doesn’t work, but it feels like we’re trying. We were all in the mood for burgers, and the Firehouse delivered on that front. I had the western burger, with bacon, cheddar, BBQ sauce and an onion ring, while Julie went for the Hawaiian burger, with BBQ sauce, ham, Swiss cheese, and a pineapple slice. We were very satisfied, and I managed to secure a new pint glass for my collection at home as well. Not the best place we ate on the trip, but it was a good meal.

V2UdnyawQkq4oAKsZgLcB-akvcVV6Qe3E9MTdsnqcLn8u-jt-ond-W4pnTld6IcdAXPZB0Z64zncnNLO--799JVlSF9kHqhN5CRRrVHNxMEfKmHZT10hgIsxWuP93uHgFUumrs-KKRf8O3ZozZ6L0bvLiyIHVCJQYNdQNU94MjVnZ8U8UVFwGlQGVqFHyTjMrzi0NCKzFeuDBUFGK4ngoM36cMT3cU7Tuop4ZWF5HBEtLdIptU7hHIQ60mnJ0uFIu7UClqMy0J_p_FrjPDMsL-icth-9aUwV2Qdzn6lxBEaPpNGM2FYln1-ObiG_L32HsTxHoZC07V0-GN5vQePkoUhOtyNFy892b9WMiE-_VlZ_qPqty2dunrwU-iu-vL7uUR1EUfM0cpjLxf15UzCKswoU7V9-gvFlSaJlVk2F-HQiqTAevn_bZSUd5CrSlcyR0cJL4-_-c_dAvn9lFdbhBU5Ey_bMkS2Juli0DVCPNxyZS-Ik09uMTC-zKWWVGURYA4rovkjsfGJOgcRStHnYtoCtCkaT2ku0myT5lc0TRGkecfcIyJaBkvUbf_QNzmBDBeivGlCGaDlGOxbkNj2TljMJ4nwAiRnzZ9fDp0CnXiFN4cJB=w1187-h792-no

FD86HwSN8SNtEeWPATcX22db6k31lXSnYWV6RV0MJ_TfpgNzbeTeJaEX92fsUUBVBe2aGbnzleJ_EWmGcwpSCA05ALhLvqj_3dFElzpdBmYqE7JeSdpPYfS6tOrtIVOwyVV0HLh13nRqT03sHU7mhRdG-3n5VPUiXyhVzDfVezYSc7T5mx8yzn-4yUTvAZ71nVffR74FMsXNKtRUnOs39QGocw-5XOtH9PLcGvkg2RB7wgmjP2sQX8G9dcpI_T3Tj2Z4-P-XyC87avLnT_-D_P8gKdoplZuUcMJhuE1eusUa3HMC9iXYUDUjuSsdKtMy3cE0i6sh52jZg2YtHCE5gLOuQrS-ua1C7RhhS6iNiBTttmacI6__wSOJQOvQnbd1nsdxZIoqBfNXDTJk_UjJlTHU4s5Se6xrnwsw-Vu804omV_tsru3qJ1AAqqVm1IcKWdEo--2uGigw7HK0RJA6rDEGZJQKQvXkl81b33YUFyHSWKD4KwU26pQf_S8_qnhRgsyCoqfWuP8y_az-tIt2SVxmD3HIfxPovzfKyyZb-kvC-NgOoTIfm9hwWWjK0HYae7kR3VT7_JJCJQrsULfjhM9ns3u_BWQp3h3tkCAOWJIz-zZ8=w1187-h792-no

We left Rapid City and headed south, arriving that evening in the tiny town of Custer, South Dakota. The Comfort Inn here would be our home for the next two nights. We got a “suite” with a pull-out couch bed just to give us a little extra room. With a big family such as ours, I’ve found that it helps to occasionally find a deal on a larger room like that, especially if we’re spending more than one night. In that situation, we can spread out a bit and no one has to sleep on the floor. It makes for a good break from the routine.

But, I’m a cheapskate, so it’s not the norm. And I only book it if I can get a good deal. We’d be back to throwing kids on the floor before too long.

HhiS-PoiQZt4VcYcqTKWRSYz0aqhFczlJU_7BtlDOFHz62C3ldn6m187DvqeakPDaPQo7IDqTwamt5jqMRHpWWsiTvLZDrHfiLqD0OmBR7rwbKVJbMfgJOm2Bv6szI86RJl4B7y-zt84xQ0vNZBo7ZKVTgwDBZlYk1OfTb5WgYA0E3Bl3v15ysI3f-TSYiqPY1l-baVeuxceitoTWeeEL3XXLQ3p1z_N_nMPJccxVvSGGsIqOy-PJ_jzAK1AQM0mvrPT6aUtMP3oSFG8LvZvkF_8DVkbPyA4uYY6CoqDdAl9yndYNj6-cygPIrFkDWOvYqW7QJoDyig5LmjR_4jN0GT0A3aY4kY8fFg8WA6yp4NhQlg8oaUDaKI1ZvyU2qO86kiEN4hEnecoWsSUXDxoAc352H4F_wYw5P6icW-5GID7Bq_GwIom3GsBrw6DDgwZVS6erzyuppr2fQZuWpRsH4C2PBmUHRvv7TlDntzxuuhZPEz9SNDITIfG-tw3iho8fs9GeDrQcskebmhNDg5ZNZ9VoQ9aL--B06uBbcokjh7bczV6Bz1tjaYt24ucFCG9onqjuMoAaQXGzOFicAdXKM3FoVZbeDbEWXnMvmDr05VjQadY=s835-no

Coming Up Next: Following in Aladdin’s footsteps.

Last edited:
I am totally fascinated by that tour that you took! I kind of visited something on the opposite end once. Not a Soviet missile silo, but the special bunker that was built for the East German government elite. It was built so that it could survive a near direct nuclear hit. It was constructed in the same way, suspended inside a second bunker.

I grew up during the cold war in Germany knowing that if anyone ever pulled that trigger, Germany was going to be where both parties were planning to carry it out on first. In every possible NATO scenario we would have been on the wrong side of the first line of defense. I do remember what a big deal START was. And while today's world might seem horribly scary, I don't think it is worse than then. Just different.

I'll try and honor the "no politics" rule here...but for the first time ever, I

I hear ya. Amen.

It was a quick visit, but I wanted to make sure we got a look, because how many chances do you get to see an actual nuclear missile silo? It was hard to get a photo of the interior due to the glass reflecting the sunlight, but we managed to get this one:

I'd say thats a pretty good shot!

My friends volunteered to take Drew with them back to Rapid City while they shopped for their own road trip supplies. One of their children really wanted to do the tour, so he got the extra ticket and rode with us. It all worked out well.

Nice when a plan comes together.

Proximity alarms would go off every time a deer or other critter jumped the fence at a silo, and these poor guys would have to jump in the truck to go investigate and make sure it wasn’t a break-in. The tires were solid rubber, which was great for durability but awful for a smooth, comfortable ride. They hated this part of the job.

I can see that. I bet they had more instances of deer and other wildlife than anything else. Hence the reason we're still here.

Anyway, the ranger told us that for the tour, he wanted us to start thinking like spies and saboteurs—to try and adopt the mindset of how someone could break in and/or tamper with the site to cause a rogue missile launch. In fact, he said, he was pretty sure there was a spy among us—and by the end of the tour, he’d be able to tell us who it was.

Huh....

In the kitchen, the ranger pointed out that the refrigerator and freezer were locked. Any guesses why?

To hide the bodies? :confused3

Remember, you have to think like spies and saboteurs. Only the cook would have the key to the lock, to make sure no one could poison the food supply.

Ah, so the cook would hide the bodies!

Everything in the building is preserved exactly as it was when it was in operation, so there are no plans to build a newer, bigger elevator. They want to keep the historic accuracy intact. I see this as a good thing.

We all piled in and the ranger closed and locked the gate. Only then did he ask us if we had insurance. The reason he asked is because we were all in an elevator built in a couple of weeks by a low bidder who’d never built one before and didn’t know how to spell the word “emergency”.

:laughing:

There was most likely less computer power in this room than in the device you’re reading this trip report on.

Not surprised. At all.

Like decoder ring.

Which continent?

Aha! Book her, Dan-o!

How was the ranger so sure? Simple, he said. “The spy is always the last one to leave.”

Or the one who wants pictures with no one in them... :rolleyes1

It was hard to believe that from this very location in the middle of nowhere, life could have ended. It was a little creepy.

Good thing no one got trigger happy!

Let’s get this out of the way: Wall Drug is a tourist trap. That should be completely obvious. Thousands of billboards littering the highways, the fact that it’s obnoxiously big enough to cover a city block, and overly kitschy western theming give it away.

Kind of like Walt Disney World!

And when you think about it, isn’t Disney World a very nice, luxurious, high-tech tourist trap?

Dang! You beat me to it!

Chapter 6: Let’s Play Global Thermonuclear War.
Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?

This is one of the silos that was decommissioned under the START Treaty and left preserved as a museum exhibit, as I explained in the previous chapter.
Some good does come from talking.

The National Park Service offers a free cell phone tour of this site—you just call into a number and walk around the site, following the prompts as the narrator describes the purpose of each item at the site. We didn’t have time to walk around and follow along step-by-step, but we tried calling in while we were driving just to get an idea of what we were looking at. It was pretty helpful.
Will need to make a note of that for future reference.

Probable the inner framing and shell of a real one.

After a few minutes of poking around and failing to cause a national security incident, we had to leave
Sergeant, I hope you like vodka.

We drove to exit 127 and again found ourselves on a lonely dirt road,
Including the exit numbers gives a good idea of the size of the complex.
Something one does not always stop to consider.

I present to you the imposing, intimidating Delta-01 command facility, which looks exactly like a structure designed to end life as we know it:
Or an internment camp barracks

I say: as a smoker.
Can’t ever have too much smoked meat on hand.

I forget the official name of this vehicle…
Cadillac-Gage - Ranger
Also called a “Peacekeeper”

Most of those have been bought up by various police departments over the years.

The tires were solid rubber, which was great for durability but awful for a smooth, comfortable ride. They hated this part of the job.
A bit like driving a Conestoga along the Oregon Trail
(without the dysentery, one hopes)

The ranger giving our tour was a quirky guy with a dry sense of humor.
Right man for the job

We both thought it would be funny to put a green glowstick in there to really sell the gag. Or at least, it would be funny in somebody else’s bag.
I like it…
And, of course, all jokes are better when you aren’t the one suffering the consequences.

In fact, he said, he was pretty sure there was a spy among us—and by the end of the tour, he’d be able to tell us who it was.
Oooo, Oooo…
When y’all do go back to DC sometime try to see the Spy Museum.
(ignore this if you’ve already done it)
One of the fun parts is when they assign you a false identity at the beginning of the tour and then quiz you on the details later on to see if you could get past the visa and immigration officials.
(I was a farmer from Volgograd visiting relatives on a green card. They never suspected me)

if you recall in the opening chapter, I’d mentioned that one of us was most definitely a spy.
The Chinese were only using a simple polyphonetically grouped 20-square-digit key transposed in boustrophedonic form with multiple nulls. I broke it with this... [Holds up a kid's cipher disk]

Dining room and lounge:

uPTv3DrpvKlBVfIeis8d42qlOBdM7AtUIpS6zYssFd2g5STJ18LrWZy4qTue_m6jNPfETVi9YJrARlSV-puDFnAA28gCaNYdRW22JLgxTbuwgmqZbTtlRZ3MoiKVBRU2FR27nbYltd0sYTlN3MLdfqOANfVTfAaeuh5MSczgW4izi0yAHRoFk8vGmIMEYi4TETkLoRDREg4DlrDJqkAsS5dPe6lieu34Q54duSEo2QC-XxkMuwikMyQ0u9nHdYjkrl9FVphh2j8WAmyS_KHmsImo9l0nPmjdTChpyNgbesZLNFwQYDrsvX7CzvyVuXH1JN-IS2mqrpS2UPomVfAwNnGbvXFTfn9crWASBZ7VeO9lvbenJmf4fFiwOIdEKwUmQH0WA5SBP99t7hJfg1TWEhmPTVR1zChWcEwe0CoIx3Q4JvSPjrjfjP64ajaD-SvjCWMO5WctebA7U01cpLe2ZnJijIYhapvugVB8YDEY81cPN-0koFq4RxkF9SnclejwqRopii_v-aut49ugJmK6rARo6qHdaGCONJHr_x9eC_EZ8eLTT1ht-5ajK6posa2VkarBG_q7b1aaAc6zxHzjaYs3NN8MW7A0SUd_lE6rgHLvzk_D=w1187-h792-no
The mural of harmless deer in a forest clearing is a nice touch.

Only the cook would have the key to the lock, to make sure no one could poison the food supply.
Then you really have to vet the cooks in such assignments
Just ask Captain Ramous what happens when you don’t.

I even found this reminder posted on the elevator wall. Imagine if this was your daily honey-do list.

tEmYyOlcBkAzUy1RGc-rTNoZGvyWwDG8rExolMIAL3iU6dYVrnbXFEBEAq3bMtXzbXfGOyZMEQfsoKWHQlLiqqB0NaaCFWIf5po7Ub-E3P7qcL0oCA6-89Y2kIONK9VWI0Wtu9ycB1KiNlyC5xHTfkqLKBNxHZ6oPVft-xiykrpkj82QL5BcKynpkCDvX-krMySHWcEody1Yx3x91eaRN6T3ZJvbCIcmK085Dw80AteUYqF-2ZgEIWAD3RKBBEy28dMzqNsiKT570TIg7qdZcq34wTJ-dG3EikbItZBsM9_AfMIJUAKr3vzpQV11C8b-p8IAcMHswobf2SgxrhQSfExOAqSkc1E698a47o5FF-y3tvVuPvqRRR_CiDKqnFIKLcwEolre5CjiC74adaFN_ygMGwhJEpQQo0vPUAzSxqrYHhU_OM6HqoUHKgo3y0Iyq3HVB76DX_OyEtybWppVJdcCJ2M0ARmjxCuyr7pDdEfh6Hg2_nYTdiz6m5tLHPee6nqtvgYCtd4NXKXoa56TA0cWoiP91IsdKmaMxOEBBE-ELZ9D6sxlRCrdrD-46I8R0rWNncmPcdMMHEWZWPL7MoVv9-VCjENHGjBJwF5xYUi5qmHA=w627-h835-no
Credit card? What for…
To call out for pizza?

(yeah, I know that’s actually referring to their “Creds” or ID Cards, but I couldn’t resist)

I feel safer already

Inside the control room, the ranger showed us all of the various apparatus designed to end all life as we know it.
So, lots of tapes of dark money funded political advertisements then, right?

Oh the joys of being in the broadcast area of a swing state…

There was most likely less computer power in this room than in the device you’re reading this trip report on.
And probably only slightly more than the AGS aboard the LEM.

Those were some seriously brave men there.

I find the Statue of Liberty logos on the edge of the note book particularly comforting in this setting…

"You Maniacs!...”

And it’s quite superior to Generic Crypto

The perfect personnel choice for when something needs to happen…

Delta-01 did have rations and supplies for about a week in case of nuclear attack.
Yeah…that’ll do it.
I mean, what’s the half-life of Cesium-137, anyway?
A few days at best, right?

I knew it.
Had to be the smartest one in the group

It has a sense of humor about itself in a way that South of the Border did not.
More like Sparky’s then.
(if you travel to and from Myrtle Beach along US-501 on a regular bases, this reference would make a lot more sense, but it gives me the proper frame of reference so just trust me on this.)

when you think about it, isn’t Disney World a very nice, luxurious, high-tech tourist trap?
You bet your sweet bippy it is.

Some of the popular items in the store reference the legendary South Dakota jackalope, which I’ve never encountered in the wild but I’m sure is very ferocious.
Likely so….
Some of its near relatives have been known to guard caves and meat out death…
“with nasty big pointy teeth!”

“What an eccentric performance. “

We somewhat reluctantly exchanged their potty-trained son for our non-potty-trained toddler.
I can see your trepidation in this exchange.

Yes, this is what dinner typically looks like at my house.

Y39j42q6fULr7MKi6Bmh5Fq5cW6EXnEHNaO1okEmnFTVUo22WoWR8Bp1IYoMrmV3Qo0_Y3KGQLjf7mZLaKQ5Ykjdbw73J1XDh4dwOCMXd386XZIa1W0f21x6HD4-oYY9iavXYhuV7kUWP9YA0iTVRUBh56AjyLsnU8yce_NfKKZ_fMZoKDKeMuhji8co2cVb8QfVHdRM_PfPXDyk6FWpcBHfyR3ERRQ8FaWK2w3wwTRt8sdL_zVO8eEPv_AM80MmK9jD6S2MdnQ_WdDKFYc9tRlmYr0CAapXOZJfyfnuKqxSB8NVev23MzpeIOoahxH6sDB2LqycwKz94Qk5edD_jDR9yL5Q_TyYTAlMsHn2p0FAj45GDhHWW6q7AP_GXRZrxRcdgQY8Tc-xip2Btr9YWo8YxBUNnmNbonJNoTjwxUx1GgdL8av0pByo2HhH8If52Tfoc57N6BAOqBKSOHfR44ckLMnu4lOBpuFz46CZW0JHetacX3QdsYO3oZtz0PuY3-djBst7IdSwC75UE2BmLpRpiqjYbNjMF2Z51iefbeQdgsx7jo8iEb6GIJlfb89mKEYGHYwX9jPtqpTDkbStsKW89AB1PTx0pAb_p-TZoRs8GgDK=w1187-h792-no
Show of hands; who here is shocked by this revelation?

Yeah, I though not.

Anyway, the Firehouse gets its name from
The outhouse behind the local Toco Bell?

being built in an old firehouse.
Dang!
Missed it by that much.

I wouldn’t have minded sampling one of their house brews, but ever since our older kids started ordering off the adult menu, we’ve instituted a “Water Only At Dinner” policy in order to try and keep my wallet from overheating.
Well then you probably don’t really need to go out of your way to drop by my neck of the woods next summer.

(By the way, I really have been kibitzing on the loop you’ve written up and I will get those notes up to you in the near. I also suggest you simply ignore them when they get there.)

We left Rapid City and headed south, arriving that evening in the tiny town of Custer, South Dakota. The Comfort Inn here would be our home for the next two nights.
Hope this one was livable. Comfort Inns tend to be very hit and miss.
Some ain’t bad, some others…
Well…
One of those hits my list for one of the worst motel stays on record for us.

Coming Up Next: Following in Aladdin’s footsteps.
“10,000 years in a Cave of Wonders ought to chill him out!”

Let’s Play Global Thermonuclear War.

Haven't seen that movie in... decades.
(And yes, I know that's not exactly what it says.)

in the exact center of nowhere

You were 180 degrees from being in the exact center of somewhere, then.

You'd think they'd make those things harder to find.
It's almost like they want the Russians (or the enemy du jour) to find it and bomb it first.

The National Park Service offers a free cell phone tour of this site—you just call into a number and walk around the site,

Huh. Not bad.
Provided you're not a tourist from another country of course.

because how many chances do you get to see an actual nuclear missile silo?

Excellent point.
And yes, I'd be very interested in seeing this.

It was hard to get a photo of the interior due to the glass reflecting the sunlight, but we managed to get this one:

Actually, a pretty good shot!

Heh, heh, of course it's not... don't stand too close, or you'll start to glow.

After a few minutes of poking around and failing to cause a national security incident,

Well, at least you tried.

My friends volunteered to take Drew with them back to Rapid City while they shopped for their own road trip supplies. One of their children really wanted to do the tour, so he got the extra ticket and rode with us. It all worked out well.

Funny. You mention later what my exact thoughts were.
"I wonder if Drew's potty trained? Because if not, you got the better part of that deal."

Actually... it does.
1950's architecture designed to look like a normal, non-descript, non-threatening building.

Our tour began promptly at 2:45, basically a private tour for our family plus one woman who had missed the previous tour.

Did she have an accent? Was her name Natasha?

the burn box. Every day, this was where missileers brought sensitive documents to be burned to insure they never fell into enemy hands.

And also where they made really good ribs.

Under the B, that's B for bomb, one.

I forget the official name of this vehicle, but this was the all-terrain vehicle the workers had to take to go check on the various missile sites.

Just how secretive was this place? Every time some poor farmer wanders too close this armored truck bounces over.

Proximity alarms would go off every time a deer or other critter jumped the fence at a silo, and these poor guys would have to jump in the truck to go investigate and make sure it wasn’t a break-in.

Russian rabbits.

It's a thing.

The tires were solid rubber, which was great for durability but awful for a smooth, comfortable ride. They hated this part of the job.

Seat belts and kidney belts mandatory.

I’d seen him earlier that morning when we were buying one of everything in the gift shop

We both thought it would be funny to put a green glowstick in there to really sell the gag. Or at least, it would be funny in somebody else’s bag.

:rolleyes1 Remind me never to travel with you.

In fact, he said, he was pretty sure there was a spy among us—and by the end of the tour, he’d be able to tell us who it was.

It's got to be one of the women.

The officer’s quarters:

Actually, that doesn't look half bad.
Then again... I noticed you didn't show us the enlisted men's quarters.

Dining room and lounge:

Wow! Look at the size of that wall to wall TV!!

And... is it not just a little disturbing that they have Battleship?
"Well, if I can't launch a missile, I'm going to pretend I can."

"That's it Herb. That's the last time you steal my Twinkie!"

Only the cook would have the key to the lock, to make sure no one could poison the food supply.

So, poison the food as they're buying it. Check.

Whoops! Did I say that out loud?

Guards here would be ready to call in an alert if anyone approached the building from the outside. So, in essence, their job was to sit in there for hours at a time staring at the South Dakota landscape.

Yeah. You couldn’t pay me enough. At least they got rotated out.

Better there than in the bunker.
There you get sunrise/sunset views. Animal sightings. Weather/clouds.

They want to keep the historic accuracy intact. I see this as a good thing.

That "Books to be burned" really stands out.

The reason he asked is because we were all in an elevator built in a couple of weeks by a low bidder who’d never built one before and didn’t know how to spell the word “emergency”.

I don't know whether to :laughing: or :scared:

Then he hit the button and we descended 20-30 feet underground.

My first thought was "Why build an elevator for 20 feet and not a set of stairs?"
But then I realized it was probably a security matter. Harder to break in if you can't access the elevator. Slow people down a fair bit, anyway.

This one showed the actual missile command hub under construction.

Interesting. I presume the entire thing was encased in those cinder blocks you see on the right.

It was mounted on some sort of hydraulic jack system that would keep it perfectly still—no matter what was going on above the surface. No accidental vibrations or tremors to cause any problems.

Huh. The size of that alone, must've been something.

Inside the control room, the ranger showed us all of the various apparatus designed to end all life as we know it.

Okay, that's just unnerving.

::yes:: Same thing with the Apollo program.
Always amazes me.

and yes, there are two different stations where a missileer would have to insert and turn a key simulataneously in order to successfully launch.

So that's not just Hollywood!

Looking Glass was (and, I believe, still is) an airborne command center.

I've (a Foreigner! You're secrets aren't safe!) heard of it.

Interesting how things don't change. That's very similar to our bomb threat manual.

Sounds cryptic.

This is one of those times when I don't want Scotty to happen.

so they’d built in a way for the command center or Looking Glass to take over and control the launch if need be.

So.... the whole two keys thing.... not needed?
Well, that's kind of a bummer.

Delta-01 did have rations and supplies for about a week in case of nuclear attack.

Uh, huh.
I extremely doubt that if it was targeted that there'd be anything there except a crater.
And one week supply, hunh? Assuming they survived, all the radiation would be gone in a week, right?

But the missileers themselves knew the “escape tube” was basically a placebo.

Actually, I was thinking that if there was a fire, it could be used then.

Theoretically, it was a tube filled with sand, and when they popped open the hatch, the sand would fall out and they'd have a path to the surface.

Interesting technique.

In a nuclear attack, the pressure and heat from a launch would be so intense that it would turn the sand to glass, sealing the tube forever. Most of them knew that an attack meant they were never leaving.

Yeah, that seems more likely.

I knew it!!!
She has guilt written all over her.

Cute pic of the family. Too bad you're going off to have Sarah arrested.

Standing outside the van, I took a look around at the vast nothingness of South Dakota and the nondescript building beside me. Somewhere out there were thousands of silos holding nuclear missiles like the one we’d seen earlier. It was hard to believe that from this very location in the middle of nowhere, life could have ended. It was a little creepy.

Yup. Agreed.

You would think that all of this site would be top secret, but in actuality, it wasn’t. Everyone knew where the missiles were generally located. This was part of the national policy of Deterrence. The idea was that if your enemy knew exactly how much firepower you had, they’d realize the futility of ever launching that kind of assault against you, knowing it would result in mutually assured destruction. Seems crazy, but no one ever started a nuclear war—so, I guess it worked.

I guess so. Still, a little unnerving for the folks who lived around there.

I can’t recommend this tour enough. We all loved it. Speaking for myself, it was my favorite thing we did on the trip. It was a completely unique tour, and I’m glad we made the effort to get up early and see it.

It really does look like a cool tour.
Someday I'm hoping to do it, especially since I live relatively close.

They must be doing well. That awning looks new and the shingles and signage look to be in good shape too.

Thousands of billboards littering the highways, the fact that it’s obnoxiously big enough to cover a city block, and overly kitschy western theming give it away.

So... not cleverly hidden.

They’ll sell you any crappy souvenir you can think of, and a few you haven’t dreamed up yet. It has a sense of humor about itself in a way that South of the Border did not.

And that makes it okay, doesn't it? It's a gag, and they know it.

when I go on vacation, I don’t want to see ordinary homes, buildings, or neighborhoods. I want to see things I’d never get to see at home. This fits that description. And when you think about it, isn’t Disney World a very nice, luxurious, high-tech tourist trap?

Good point.

the kids were obviously very excited. Excited in that, “Dad, why exactly are we here again?” kind of way.

I see you managed to spring Sarah from jail.
Was it a spy trade?

We also grabbed a free “Where The Heck Is Wall Drug?” bumper sticker. After all, if it’s free, it’s for me.

Pretty sure I've seen those. Or similar at least.

Those things get around.
Seen 'em elsewhere too.

Out back, they have a water play area

So, basically they have their own Typhoon Lagoon. Gotcha.

and a photo spot where you can take a ride on the legendary jackalope. I mean, why wouldn’t you want to visit this place?

You've sold me. I'm going.

We met up with our friends for dinner in downtown Rapid City at the Firehouse Brewing Company.

This got me curious. I wondered if the restaurant (not the building) was there when I was last there.

Nope. It's only been there for 25 years.
I was there in 1974.

We got there about 5:00. The place got packed shortly after that. Again, people, Rope Drop works.

::yes:: We do the same for the same reason.

We somewhat reluctantly exchanged their potty-trained son for our non-potty-trained toddler

A really good friend would've potty trained him first.

Then we made all of the kids sit at a separate table anyway.

This always gets me.

Kids: "Yay! We tricked them into giving us our own table!"
Adults: "Yay! We tricked them into taking their own table!"

The restaurant gives all children a free plastic fireman’s hat. Yes, this is what dinner typically looks like at my house.

You have fireman's hats at your house? Cool! I'm coming to visit.

Also, I think they wanted to make sure all of these kids kept their noise outside. Smart.

Not the best place we ate on the trip, but it was a good meal.

Those burgers look pretty good.

We got a “suite” with a pull-out couch bed just to give us a little extra room.

We used to do that too.
It was nice to have a separate room to ourselves. As the DDs got older, they started to complain about the pullout couch. I invited them to pay for a room for themselves.

Awwww.... all tuckered out.

I am totally fascinated by that tour that you took! I kind of visited something on the opposite end once. Not a Soviet missile silo, but the special bunker that was built for the East German government elite. It was built so that it could survive a near direct nuclear hit. It was constructed in the same way, suspended inside a second bunker.

That sounds very similar. And fascinating!

I grew up during the cold war in Germany knowing that if anyone ever pulled that trigger, Germany was going to be where both parties were planning to carry it out on first. In every possible NATO scenario we would have been on the wrong side of the first line of defense. I do remember what a big deal START was. And while today's world might seem horribly scary, I don't think it is worse than then. Just different.

Yeah, I imagine you had a very concerned interest in making sure nobody ever decided to launch!

I hear ya. Amen.

:thumbsup2

I'd say thats a pretty good shot!

Thanks!

Nice when a plan comes together.

Hey, that's my line! Or Hannibal Smith's, actually.

I can see that. I bet they had more instances of deer and other wildlife than anything else. Hence the reason we're still here.

I think they said they did have a couple of actual human incidents. They had to do with peaceful protestors.

To hide the bodies? :confused3

Ah, so the cook would hide the bodies!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: You sound like you've seen this trick before!

Not surprised. At all.

Nope.

Like decoder ring.

Hey, I have one of those! It came with my Ovaltine.

Which continent?

All of them.

Or the one who wants pictures with no one in them... :rolleyes1

Who would do that?:confused3

Good thing no one got trigger happy!

Good thing for all of us!

Kind of like Walt Disney World!

Dang! You beat me to it!

Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat me.:thumbsup2:rotfl:

Such a fun tour!

Our GPS took us to the missile site instead of the visitors center or command center. I was a little underwhelmed thinking that was all there was. The few stray cattle wandering around seemed to be pretty used to the fact that there was a nuclear missile in their pasture. Thus proving once and again - cows are pretty bad a$$.

Luckily, though we did find the visitors center and got lucky with an afternoon tour like you. We had the same tour guide. That guy really loves his job.

Sarah is a spy?!? I thought she was paying a little to close attention on the tour we took later in your trip! (no spoilers for those reading along at home)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter