• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Golden-Grand-Slam-Outta-the-Park Alaskan Cruise! COMPLETE 7/18!!!!!!

Ellen- I am loving your trip report! My 12 year old daughter and I have been reading through it together in anticipation of our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. We love all of your pictures! This has her so excited!

Skagway looks like a really neat town. Almost stepping back in time!

The driftwood hotel looked really cool. And thanks for the shout-out! You know if there's a National Park office, we'd be there.:thumbsup2

I'm SOLD!! This will seriously be on our list of upcoming trips - although I'm sure it will be a few years yet! The views are amazing. But I do worry about the weather. I hate being cold - can't stand our weather here in Iowa (and we've had a very mild January so far).

I love Mickey and Minnie's outfits :) And all the food looks great too. I'm trying to eat healthy as we get ready for spring break, and a quick weekend in February to North Carolina, so the food is making me sooooo hungry.....

I can't wait to read more and see more pictures. Please keep them coming!

You know if there's a National Park office, we'd be there.:thumbsup2

Did you pass expire yet? :lmao: Denny is almost old enough to qualify for his senior citizen life time pass! :cool1:

Ellen - yum to the food.

And the scenery is lovely. I remember when Cynthia stopped at the town and took pictures of the same snow blower. That thing is absolutely insane. Wow! Bet you wish you had that in North Jersey tonight. :rolleyes1

I really hope your excursion goes, but I am sensing a bit of doubt.

What's up with blurry pictures of Minnie and Mickey? :confused3

I am going to update and then go back to answer replies- ok? :) I figure there will be loads of time for that unless we lose power in the blizzard that's about to attack here in the Northeast.

About 18 of us were seated inside Temsco to watch a video and have a safety lecture before putting on Dogsledding gear (including rubber boots for a snowy glacier) and heading out to 3 different helicopters. We were all weighed and placed in the helicopter person by person. I was seated in the second row of seats, so handed Tyler my camera as he was sitting up in the front. We were flying up to Denver Glacier, where the dogs are kept in summer. This way they can train all summer long, and never lose the "feel" of running on the snow. The excursion is offered with DCL- at quiet alot more $$$ per person. Dogsledding on top of a glacier is NOT a bargain by any means, but it IS the most unique experience I can think of. I booked with Alaska Icefield a few months pre-cruise. Here is a link to the Temsco sight (they will not book with you directly if you are on a Cruise ship they contract with- which is pretty much everyone). http://www.temscoair.com/dog_sled_tour_skagway.php

It was really beautiful on the flight up there.

We were in the 2nd helicopter of 3- can you see the lead pilot in the bottom left of the pic?

Almost there! Can't believe it's really happening! The most cancelled excursion in Alaska!

Our pilot began to give the instructions on what to do once we landed- walk a certain way, do not deviate from the line because the blades would still be going and we wouldn't be able to see them, etc etc....

He literally took a breath after the instructions and then said, "well, looks like the lead pilot has decided we need to turn around- it's too foggy, and we don't want to take a chance of getting you nice folks socked in up here on Denver Glacier."

And with that, we turned around and headed back.

That is one little pool over there on HAL-

So THAT was a bummer. But we always knew it could happen. Didn't think it could happen when you were already about to land, but apparently, it CAN!

Well, it seems we were in the minority of those who understood this fact. Some people were REALLY mad! Temsco offered to take us on a different experience- the Glacier Discovery. It is on a more beautiful Glacier, Meade Glacier, AND this tour is less expensive. So however you paid, they would refund the difference to you. Seemed fair to us, especially when the girls working said they all loved Meade Glacier, it is their favorite. They pointed out a photo hanging on the wall, and I have to admit, it DID look really nice.

The other 14 people on diverted helicopters? They were not impressed. They were just MAD. Some were even nasty. RIDICULOUS. The girls were saying you do NOT EVER want to take a chance up there on Denver Glacier- that you can get socked in up there for DAYS. Does not sound like a good time to ME! I need to get back to my pretty and fun Disney ship at the end of this day! Camping in the snow and fog is NOT on my agenda for August AT ALL.

SO.

We changed our footwear- you wear Crampons to walk on Meade Glacier, they are much spikier than the other shoes, and we went back out for round TWO. The only ones out of 18 who were willing to make lemonade out of lemons that day, I guess.

Well, I just want to say- it was their loss. Walking on the glacier was AWESOME!!!! Up next-

So...here we go again! This time, I ended up in the front seat- and we only had 1 other person with us, a crew member from one of the Princess ships.

Can you see the other helicopter up there?

As we flew over this area, the pilot told us to look for moose- which we did not see, unfortunately.

I see a glacier ahead....

If you are not clear on what a glacier is, here is something that explains it pretty well, from Frommer's- http://www.frommers.com/articles/4520.html

Yea, that picture on the wall at Temsco did not lie- this place was magnificent.

And if we had stayed on the ground in Skagway, we would have missed it all-

The helicopters dropped us off, then refilled with tourists and flew away....

So, the DUDE was very cool, and had lots to say about the glacier- like, we were all moving right now, just super duper slowly, and that we were standing on top of a LOT of ice, that alllllll the way below has water running. We went off to explore, looking for a crevass to see how deep and far that ice REALLY is.

So the DUDE threw a rock down there- and I swear to you it was nearly 60 seconds before you heard it splash at the bottom.

Kind of puts it in perspective when they say deep, thick ice, huh?

Waaaaaaaay down there.....

Rocks goin' for a ride-

HEY! Remember those great big BOULDERS we saw on the floor of Yosemite last year? Well, we know for SURE how they got there NOW. Kind of all came full circle for us, being on the Glacier.

So, we were all wearing these vests. One of the reasons why was so the DUDE could dangle each of us over the edge. Lord knows why, but I went first.

I am not gonna lie- it was SCARY AS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER DONE!!! But I am very glad I did it. I was also glad when it was over, lol. Next was Pods-

Ok, so here is how you can REALLY tell this was an incredible experience. Did you see a photo of me looking in the crevass? No. Do you see Pods taking a photo of the hole in the ground? YUP. Pods was a picture takin fool that day.

And then Timmy (of San Francisco Hyatt glass elevator terror fame) had a peek-

Of course, appropriately, I freaked out.

It is very hard to see your baby dangle over the edge!! Cont'd next post-

Finally Tyler, who got a little too close for my comfort, but what do I know.

So, I kept imagining this in Yosemite. Carving out the valley. How it was like we were floating mid- valley almost eye level with Glacier point. AHHHHHHHH.....makes SO much sense now, doesn't it? Didn't plan it this way, but it was a very happy coincidence when we realized what we were learning. Talk about a light bulb going off!

And then the DUDE talked about how John Muir came to Alaska to figure out Yosemite.

Well SHUT UP. John Muir? Oh- this is all too much! Could not have planned out our summer vacations any better- just magical when an unplanned plan comes together.

Still more to explore-

There was water running on top of the glacier- we were all encouraged to have a drink of the earth's purest water. So we did.

Tim was more thirsty than the rest of us-

Yea, that's right- he was kneeling in the (literally) ice cold water.

Pods was still at it with the camera-

Here comes our ride....

To be continued.....

Wow, I am here in north jersey awaiting the blizzard. DH and I, and DS22 are goiNg on the DVC members cruise this year. Thank you for writing this trip report, it is jam packed with great info and inspiration for me as I plan our trip excursions. Thanks for the good pictures, and your whole story.

Wow - what an awesome experience.

Those other people on the excursion were ridiculous. I can see being disappointed but who plans on spending that much $$$ on an excursion and doesn't research it and know that it often doesn't happen??? And why would they not go up again to try for the next glacier??

Wow that driftwood building is pretty neat! Nice history too. :thumbsup2

Good!:goodvibes

Lumberjack Donald? OMG Pam would flip, he's her favorite.

I will post a pic for her soon- she doesn't read me, tho- so you will have to tell her, lol.

Dinner looks good as does breakfast. I tried the muesli and thought it was good but not amazing. Maybe I need to try it on another ship? :woohoo: The eggs benny look so yum. That's one of my all-time favorite breakfast dishes.

Mine too. And yes- it's so weird, but muesli is different on each ship. The Dream does it the best!

Glad your excursion is a go! Can't wait to read about it.

Well, there you go....

I just am living for your updates Ellen. I love seeing every single picture and hearing how your days go. If we ever get to go to Alaska I will be asking you questions for sure. I have done a lot of reading on it, but it is so different when you go to places yourself.

You know I'll be overjoyed to help you figure it out Jen- you are one of the most helpful people I know- LOVE to return the favor!!:goodvibes

Hi Ellen,
We spent most of our time between deck 10 bow, until the puddles got too deep and our midship verandah....we ordered room service and could listen to the narration on our TV. The soup in the bread bowl was good and I don't even like peas!

I like the room service idea, but I am glad you went up for the pea soup! It was so good!

We will have a porthole (unless I can upgrade at the port for a decent price). Trying to figure out a strategy for Tracy Arm day - where to go, when to go, etc. Sounds a little crazy!

Jodie

We liked moving around a lot for different perspectives. On Deck 4 (or our balcony) we could only see one side- well, on deck 4 we could run across inside and look at the other side. And closer to the water. Up on Deck 10 you could see it all around you.

Ellen I'm so glad I found this trip report. I've read all your others and love them. I have always wanted to go to Alaska and definitely intend to one day. I just finished reading through and the scenery is breathtaking. I can't wait for you next update.

I'm so glad you found it too! :goodvibes It should definitely be in your plans- such an amazing and inspiring adventure!

I love your photos and description of the Tracy Arm day. It does sound like the best of both worlds - sight-seeing and being on the ship. I'm looking forward to that day now!

Yay for your excursion being a go!

I real did feel like it was a combo day- and I love me some sea days!!

So our excursion was not as planned, but hey- we got a free helicopter ride, right?

Apologizing in advance for going off-topic, BUT I wanted to tell you that I bought that italian cookbook you raved about on your Hawaii thread (bought the older edition). Looking forward to trying some new things! :)

Jodie

Too funny- don't apologize! I hope you love Marcella as much as we all do!

Ellen- I am loving your trip report! My 12 year old daughter and I have been reading through it together in anticipation of our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. We love all of your pictures! This has her so excited!

How cool! I love that you are reading it together! :wave2: Thank you both for joining in! When do you go?

Skagway looks like a really neat town. Almost stepping back in time!

It was- very unique, I was not aware before going exactly how preserved it really was. There was a lot to see there.

The driftwood hotel looked really cool. And thanks for the shout-out! You know if there's a National Park office, we'd be there.:thumbsup2

Sure thing! Where else would you be??

I'm SOLD!! This will seriously be on our list of upcoming trips - although I'm sure it will be a few years yet! The views are amazing. But I do worry about the weather. I hate being cold - can't stand our weather here in Iowa (and we've had a very mild January so far).

UGH. I don't think I would like the weather in Iowa EITHER- one of my closest friends (Joan) is from Iowa and she LOVES the cold (she lives here in NJ now). She is SO HAPPY when it's cold- I think she is NUTS!! :rotfl:

I love Mickey and Minnie's outfits :) And all the food looks great too. I'm trying to eat healthy as we get ready for spring break, and a quick weekend in February to North Carolina, so the food is making me sooooo hungry.....

Sorry!!! Yay for you being good though!

I can't wait to read more and see more pictures. Please keep them coming!

I will!!

Glad you were able to roll with the punches and end up with a spectacular excursion! That glacier is massive and so cool. That's awesome you were able to put the info you learned about Yosemite with the info about the glacier.

Jill in CO

Did you pass expire yet? :lmao: Denny is almost old enough to qualify for his senior citizen life time pass! :cool1:

Ellen - yum to the food.

Yay! Love DCL food! Always better when someone else cooks.

And the scenery is lovely. I remember when Cynthia stopped at the town and took pictures of the same snow blower. That thing is absolutely insane. Wow! Bet you wish you had that in North Jersey tonight. :rolleyes1

I remember that pic, too! I think it's mandatory when you visit Skagway.

I really hope your excursion goes, but I am sensing a bit of doubt.

Well, your senses are correct

What's up with blurry pictures of Minnie and Mickey? :confused3

What can I say- it was a drive by! :rotfl:

Wow, I am here in north jersey awaiting the blizzard. DH and I, and DS22 are goiNg on the DVC members cruise this year. Thank you for writing this trip report, it is jam packed with great info and inspiration for me as I plan our trip excursions. Thanks for the good pictures, and your whole story.

So did you actually GET some snow??? We have 4 inches- what a letdown, lol!! Oh- that is going to be a SPECTACULAR cruise- I really want to do a DVC cruise someday, there are so many cool extras! I hope you do a TR and tell us about it! Thanks for joining in-:)

Wow - what an awesome experience.

This was Pods' favorite.

Those other people on the excursion were ridiculous. I can see being disappointed but who plans on spending that much $$$ on an excursion and doesn't research it and know that it often doesn't happen??? And why would they not go up again to try for the next glacier??

Well, I think people have it in their head that they were doing two things on that other excursion- walking on a glacier AND dog sledding. SO they took just walking n a glacier as a rip- off. They were acting like Temsco was doing a bait and switch trying to fill up another excursion. But really, the glaciers are very different, and we would not have seen what we did and truly experienced what a glacier is on that Digsledding one (I f=don't think- because all the time would have been spent explaining what dogsledding was). Now I want to go back and see other glaciers- it was indescribably cool.

Amazing, just amazing!

It was!! It just was!!!:love:

Glad you were able to roll with the punches and end up with a spectacular excursion! That glacier is massive and so cool. That's awesome you were able to put the info you learned about Yosemite with the info about the glacier.

Jill in CO

I know, right? It was such a happy coincidence. Like when he explained that the mountains with round tops were covered by glaciers we immediately thought of half dome. I had no idea about John Muir, tho- but when he said it, it made perfect sense- and I was so happy to hear it, because in Alaska I was thinking John Muir would LOVE this place- even in 2014!

Stunning! Flying in a helicopter and walking on a glacier would be a bucket list experience, for sure!

I almost feel sorry for those that missed out on it, but given their attitudes...nah, I don't feel sorry for them.

Those pictures deep down into the glacier and the crevasse are stunning!

I have just a few more pics to add (I KNOW!!! Too many!! But can't stop, lol!!). I had to figure out how to get the panoramas onto PB, but lo and behold, here they are.

Just really shows the enormous scope of what was up there.

And then we were off....bye bye lucky explorers below-

Really, it IS the last great American frontier- make no mistake, there is a lot more wilderness than buildings or people, that is for sure.

The girls were so happy we enjoyed ourselves- they were a really nice team of people at Temsco.

Of COURSE, lots of hugs goodbye (I am a hugger, in case you have never met me, but for the record, they were hugging ME, hahahahaha) and recommendations of what to eat at Skagway Brewing where we were headed for lunch. Skagway Brewing Company is almost at the very end of the road, and we were starving, so walked pretty fast. After we stopped to see if there were any animals in the water-

It was gently misting- but not even enough for the rain ponchos DCL handed out to each passenger going into port- which I thought was a very very nice touch.

The town is so cute, isn't it? Look! The buildings have ladies in the windows!

That must be a dessert shop, I guess....

Finally!!

We put our names in and waited for a table to open up- purchased a few t-shirts to pass the time. Admired the Ulu Knives in the window-

To be continued....

Did you see a photo of me looking in the crevass? No

I wouldn't have been able to do it either.

How was your 4 inches. I guess it is better to be safe with everything being shut down. My son Matt told me it was the first time today, that he didn't see the insane traffic of NYC-he said it was almost spooky.

I'm not feeling very productive at work this week - so I've been trying to catch up and now stay on top of this trip report :thumbsup2 Going back to the heights thing - I don't know that I would ever get into a helicopter but somehow you've sold me again and WHEN I take my cruise to Alaska I will have to take a helicopter ride to get out on a glacier. However... you will not see anyone dangling me over the edge! It didn't even look like the guy had a good grip on your vests! But I do appreciate the pictures Pods took without falling in ;)

We knew we wanted to have lunch at the Skagway Brewing Co before we came to town, but without saying a WORD it had been recommended by every person we had met so far, so I guess we were making the right choice!

Hmmm...what do these lights remind YOU of???? Artist Point maybe?

Both Pods and I ordered a beer sampler....here were the choices-
Prospector Pale

The copper color American pale ale is clean and dry with a subtle hop character. Initial citrus aromas lend itself to a soft bitterness that lingers into a smooth finish.

Spruce Tip Blonde

Our signature ale, brewed with spruce tips is a favorite of tourists and locals alike.

“This local favorite incorporates hand picked Sitka Spruce tree tips that add a crisp kick to its creamy, slightly sticky body and floral zest to the fruit and spice flavor.” Draft Magazine “50 Beers, 50 States” July 2009

Chilkoot Trail IPA

The original India Pale Ales were brewed for export with lots of hops and high gravity to help them survive long journeys by sea. Chilkoot Trail follows suit using Amarillo and Cascade hops for a floral and citrus flavor. An assertive bitterness and soft alcohol warmth are supported by a strong malty backbone.

Boom Town Brown

The nine grain American brown ale has a complex, malty profile and a subtle British hop influence. Traces of nut, chocolate and caramel are woven throughout this approachable version.

Blue Top Porter

Blue Top was traditionally brewed to nourish the working class of Skagway and still is brewed to rejuvenate today. Our porter exhibits stout-like characteristics and is near-black in color. Hints of roasty dark chocolate provide a robust flavor and smooth finish.

I know we both had the Spruce Tip- the reason that beer is made? Spruce tips are high vitamin c- but they are only available once a year, in a place where what else has vitamin c? So- they started brewing beer in Alaska with the spruce tips to get the vitamin c year round. it's a health drink!

We were advised by several; people to get the tots loaded. So we ordered those and some plain ones. FYI- do NOT bother to order 2, or 1 of each like we did. You and your 10 children can easily share the one plate of loaded (with chili, cheese and scallions) tots and be FULL. It is HUGE!!

It is also realllllllllly good. For lunch, I had an Alaskan Sandwich- Halibut with tartare sauce, lettuce, tomato, and red onion

Pods had a Salmon Sandwich- locally caught and grilled sockeye salmon with horseradish dill sauce, cucumbers, lettuce, tomato and red onion on ciabatta bread-

Timmy went way out of his comfort zone and ordered Chicken Tenders-

Tyler had a Smokehouse burger
Peppered bacon, crispy fried onions, smoked cheddar, house-made bbq sauce, topped with lettuce & tomato $15.75 (although his was minus the lettuce and tomato).

The fries were hand cut, and the coleslaw was house made. It was a good lunch! After we finished up, the boys decided they wanted to go back to the ship, so we parted ways-

Pods and I continued to wander,

See? FLOWERS. NOT COLD.

We window shopped (isn't this beautiful?)

And made a few purchases in a store or two for some little trinkets, most of which were made in China instead of Alaska. Then we decided to see what the Red Onion was all about.

Because what visit to Alaska would be complete without a trip to a Brothel. HMM?

Who would YOU choose???

Lots of people were coming in to take a tour with the Madame. We did not, but I am sure it was amusing! Across the street-

The train was pulling back into town. This is a very popular excursion- some people do the train round trip, but if I ever do it, I think I would want to drive back and stop at Emerald Lake- google it, it's beautiful. It is in the Yukon Territory.

There's gold in them hills!

It was great that we were docked at the end of the street- very convenient port, Skagway.

Back onboard at last, we had hot chocolate waiting for us- the northern equivalent of flavored water in port!

I believe we took a bit of a nap when we returned- it had been a LONG day! 2 helicopter rides and all those TOTS! :rotfl: Tonight, we would be having dinner in Triton's, so when I return, that's what you'll have too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter