A fun summer for $25 a week. What can we do?

While this may not sound like your typical idea of family "fun", I believe that it is a very important family activity regardless of the age of the participants.

While looking for things to do, we volunteer. Not only does it enrich your lives, but it also enriches the lives of the people you touch. For our family, it is very important that we give back in whatever way we can. To me, time is more valuable than money.

It doesn't have to be anything huge either. Some of my best childhood memories are of visiting the local nursing home and spending time with the residents there. It was a win-win. As a small child, I got massive amounts of attention and affection from people who became like family to me while they got to "adopt" me and my siblings while their own families weren't able to be there. My kids were shy at first. Now they love it.

My Dad taught us to look after our neighbors. I spent many days cutting grass and planting flowers for my neighbors. Being nearly shut in, they looked forward to our visits and would always bake us the best goodies. My kids now make the same rounds I did.

We also spent a lot of time playing at the local park. That's where I learned to play tennis. Didn't cost a dime except to buy a racket and some balls. Wal-mart has some cheap ones.

Go fishing. Doesn't cost much after the initial investment in some poles, but instills a love of nature. I've found the best place to buy really cheap ones is at garage sales. Sometimes they give them away for free if it's for a child. Believe me, they NEVER forget the time they caught their first fish.

Another thing you might try is to contact your local 4H office. Sometimes they can hook you up with people who give free horseback riding lessons in exchange for volunteer work (cleaning stalls, feeding horses, etc.). I got my kids free lessons this way.

Hope this helps.

This is so nerdy that I am afraid to admit it, but it is ALWAYS a big hit here.

Make a list of all your area dollar stores and then whenever you need a filler activity (or a once a week thing) you go into the dollar store and each person gets a buck to pick out anything they want!!!

This can even lead into other activities like water balloon fight or kite flying! I'll admit I even enjoy spending my dollar! It's fun to have to only pick one thing!

Don't think this idea is nerdy. My girls are 16 and 15 and LOVE the dollar store. My 16 year old likes to buy gag gifts to give to her best friend. Last time she went in, she came out with 2 huge sombreros and a tacky ballerina figurine (her friend is a ballerina). She gave one sombrero to Taylor along with the figurine, and the way those girls laughed over those things was priceless. Oh, and I was at Walmart when they were at the dollar store so when I got done, she came by and picked me up wearing this HUGE sombrero. She wore it the whole way home, we got some major stares. I'm guessing that was the point. I think that no matter what age kids are, they love buying stupid stuff at the dollar store. One year, a few years ago, my other daughter asked for a $100 gift certificate to dollar tree. That would buy a hundred pieces of junk! Needless to say, she did not get this gift certificate.

Do you have a Michaels nearby? They used to have crafts for kids to do once a week. Maybe Joanne Fabrics does too?

Are your kids signed up for birthday clubs at all restaurants? Almost always the restaurant will send them a free meal voucher. Granted, by the time you and the other family members pay for their meal it adds up.

Our local metroparks offers all kinds of hikes and programs especially for kids.

I have not read all the replies, so I apologize if this suggestion has been posted. Your boys are at a good age to begin helping with cooking. How about if you pick out a Disney movie to share, and then make a themed dish or meal around the movie. For example: Lady and the Tramp with Spaghetti, or Ratatouille with French Onion Soup, etc. Together you could make the shopping list and do the shopping. Then, work together on the chopping and preparing. It can culminate with eating your food while watching the movie.

Picnics. At the park, near a lake, in the back yard, in the rec room if it's raining. My kids simply love picnics.
Make a fort out of anything. Camp in the backyard. Start a small indoor or outdoor garden with the kids (this one lends itself to a daily watering, checking, weeding activity and makes them so proud!)
Chalk in the driveway, ride bikes, body paint with pudding (best done with a hose nearby!), visits to local parks where you can hike a little or play with a ball.

I tend to focus on free or nearly free.. because at that age all they want is your time and attention.

:thumbsup2 Go on a tour of your town's (or go to another town) with a picnic lunch -- different playground each week, then return to the ones they really like. The lunch doesn't need to be elaborate -- PBJ, juice box, chips, apple, etc.

My Borders book store has free read alouds scheduled. Lots of kids come and there is a nature playtime afterward as they meet new kids their age. I find out a lot about other free stuff to do by interacting with parents at these things.

Free museums and Sci centers with your Cap One card on select weekends... http://museums.bankofamerica.com/

Join a Zoo with reciprocal admission. My membership at a zoo gets me into several other Zoos or an Aviary or Aquarium for a day trip. Most of the time a full year for a family will be less than $89.

Buy a rocket balloon kit, and maybe a refill on the balloons. We do these weekly on our front lawn and a bunch of neighborhood kids come over and they just run and chase them for hours.

You can also have a tye-dye party. Get a package of cheap undershirts from wallyworld and a tye-dye kit from a craft store. Day 1 do the prep and dying, day 2 wash and enjoy the results. My kids favorite shirts are the ones they have made, and they will get to wear them all summer!

I do fun days at my daycare. Here are some that I do.

Unbirthday Day- this year I'm making cupcakes in ice cream cones for the kids to decorate. Then I will give them a goodie bag when they go home.

Pirate Day- make hats, treasure hunt (buy coins, jewels at $1 store or spray paint rocks)

Wacky Hair Day- wash out hair color, hair elastics, gel, etc.

Pajama Day- cereal for snack

I bought a book at a discount book store (for 75c!!) called 5001 Things for Kids to Do (by Barbara Ann Kipfer). I leave it handy and if I hear anything resembling "bored, can't find anything to do" then we crack open the book.

Here are some suggestions from it:

139. Make a sock puppet.
145. Feed the squirrels.
550. Find something of every color to match a box of sixty-four Crayolas.
559. Finger paint.
642. Do a blindfold taste test between food or drink (Coke, Pepsi).
1714. Learn ten bones of the body.
3563. Use a squirt gun on all the outdoor plants.
3730. Design a board game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter