• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A free dining, steak-filled Sept. food extravaganza! Final post, 10/25!

We select one signature meal each trip, and this vacation it was Yachtsman. This was kind of a do-over meal for us, as we had eaten here the last night of our trip in 2009 and I was too sad about our trip ending to really enjoy it! However, Zach had loved his steak and dessert, and I was obsessed with those onion rolls, so we decided we had to give Yachtsman another chance.

We checked in at 5:45 for our 6:00 p.m. reservation, with a specific request: NO view of Stormalong Bay! I know a lot of people love this pool, but eating a fancy meal while people splash around is not exactly the atmosphere we we wanted. The restaurant was practically empty, so they had no problem seating us in about five minutes, at a table in the second room, along the wall on the opposite side of the pool. We were the only people in our section for most of the meal, and it was quiet and romantic.

Our server greeted us pretty quickly and explained that if we did not like the side listed with an entree item, we were only allowed to sub in green beans, mashed potatoes, or a twice baked potato. This seemed...incorrect. I’m pretty positive I’ve read reviews of people subbing in sides from the sides menu, or really any side they wanted. This was really the first instance of being kind of wary of our server. She was just kind of...odd. Robotic, really. Everything she said sounded scripted and rehearsed. It was strange and not particularly welcoming. I don’t think she smiled once. Service was also incredibly slow. This was a two hour meal-- crazy when we only had two courses! We didn’t get the onion rolls until fifteen minutes after we ordered our entrees (and saw other tables getting them, so it’s not like they were still baking or anything).

I also had a problem when I asked if I could order the filet, but sub in the hanger steak sides. I said of course I would pay the price of the filet ($48), and not the hanger steak ($38). I realize we were on free dining and I wouldn’t really be “paying,” but it would be affect the tip price. The waitress’s response? “That’ll be a six dollar charge.” What?? I’m subbing in a more expensive steak, will be paying the price of the more expensive steak, AND be charged $6 for what reason?? I questioned her on this, and she simply said it was the chef’s rule (um, really?). I really wanted the sides the hanger steak came with and wasn’t in the mood to argue, so I just said fine.

After that little incident, I decided I definitely needed some alcohol, so I ordered the Glowtini:

Yum! I love drinking martinis with steak and this was perfect. Not sweet, and not too strong.

Here’s my $54 filet meal:

After glowing reviews, I just had to pay OOP for the truffle mac and cheese too:

Um, wow. This meal was just incredible. The steak was perfectly cooked (medium rare)-- melt in your mouth and seasoned perfectly. I only had a bite or two of the greens, but they were fresh and a touch vinegar-y. I wasn’t a huge fan of the herb butter, and honestly, the steak didn’t need it. The truffle fries were THE BOMB. They were salty and delicious on their own, or dipped in the aoli. I like my truffle fries to be kind of limp, but not soggy, and these were perfection.

The truffle mac and cheese was also amazing. Clearly, I love truffles/truffle oil! This side was gooey and cheesy, the pasta perfectly al dente. The tobacco onions provided the perfect texture contrast. I could have had just this for my meal and would have been perfectly content. And thankfully, Zach does not like truffle oil OR mac and cheese, so I had this amazing dish (and the fries) all to myself! ;)

Zach had the New York strip with green beans and the peppercorn sauce on the side:

Sorry the photo is so blurry! This was clearly a much more reasonable meal than mine, ehem. He also loved this food. He actually took some of the salted butter from the bread and topped his steak with it, which he said was the perfect compliment. The peppercorn brandy sauce just tasted a little too alcohol to him, so he barely used it. The green beans, while boring, were cooked exactly the way he likes (buttery with a bit of a crunch). A home run.

I did not get pictures of our desserts, but I had the trio of gelato. The chocolate was my favorite-- nice and creamy. I only managed a few bites, however, as I was stuffed from my dinner. Zach had the chocolate pretzel/peanut dish, which he thought was really good. It was incredibly rich, however, and he only had a few bites, too.

The waitress dropped off the check with the desserts, and I gave my KTTW over. When she came back, she said she charged the OOP costs to our room. Um, thanks for asking? It wasn’t a huge deal, but we had planned on paying the OOP costs and tip in cash. I don’t know why she didn’t ask first.

For food, we’d give Yachtsman a 9. Atmosphere would clock in around a 6, and service a 2. I really wanted to love the entire experience of this meal, but it just didn’t happen. Zach and I agreed that with the amazing steak we can get around here (both in restaurants and made by Zach!), we won’t be returning, at least not for awhile.

Mmmm the food at Yachtsman Steakhouse looks amazing! We went there during our honeymoon and had an excellent meal, and we've booked again for the night after the half marathon in January (apparently runners need protein after distance runs, so I thought YC was a good choice!). I'll have to remember about that truffle mac & cheese :thumbsup2
Such a shame about the server, it can really make or break a meal experience :(

Emma princess: x

Your server at Yachtsman sounds like a piece of work, lol! I'm a server myself so I usually just keep to myself when people complain about service issues as so much of it is out of the server's hands, but I'd be put off by service like that. Your steak looks amazing though!! I'm glad the food was good.

I'm so sad your whole experience was not up to par :(

We've gone quite a few tines and ask for Oscar. He is AWESOME and provides wonderful service! Twice we've gone and had other servers who just didn't seem as "nice/friendly".

I hope, if you ever go again, you have much better service!!!

Also, LOVE the onion rolls!!! And the truffle Mac n cheese is to die for!!!! Yum!!

Your YSH experience is so similar to mine - it is almost disturbing. Great food, really NOT-great service! I know that service like that can just about ruin a meal. *sigh*

Mmmm the food at Yachtsman Steakhouse looks amazing! We went there during our honeymoon and had an excellent meal, and we've booked again for the night after the half marathon in January (apparently runners need protein after distance runs, so I thought YC was a good choice!). I'll have to remember about that truffle mac & cheese :thumbsup2
Such a shame about the server, it can really make or break a meal experience :(

Emma princess: x
The food was really delicious-- and a great place to load up on protein!! That truffle mac and cheese-- I really can't say more great things about it. SO GOOD!

Your server at Yachtsman sounds like a piece of work, lol! I'm a server myself so I usually just keep to myself when people complain about service issues as so much of it is out of the server's hands, but I'd be put off by service like that. Your steak looks amazing though!! I'm glad the food was good.
I have also been a server in the past, so I am quite understanding of kitchen issues and tip quite well. I don't understand what this woman's problem was!

I'm so sad your whole experience was not up to par :(

We've gone quite a few tines and ask for Oscar. He is AWESOME and provides wonderful service! Twice we've gone and had other servers who just didn't seem as "nice/friendly".

I hope, if you ever go again, you have much better service!!!

Also, LOVE the onion rolls!!! And the truffle Mac n cheese is to die for!!!! Yum!!
Well, if I do go back, I'll definitely ask for Oscar! Thanks for the tip. LOVED those onion rolls. We actually found pre-roasted garlic cloves in our grocery store and had them on bread at home, but it obviously wasn't the same!

Your YSH experience is so similar to mine - it is almost disturbing. Great food, really NOT-great service! I know that service like that can just about ruin a meal. *sigh*
That's so unfortunate! It's a signature restaurant, this many people should not have such bad experiences with service!

Great reviews :thumbsup2

So sorry you had a poor experience with the service at Yachtsman. My DD and I are eating there for her 21st Birthday and I really hope they don't have an issue with us subbing sides. I am seriously struggling to understand how you can order a more expensive meal and still get charged an up-charge for having the side from the cheaper meal :confused3

By the way, is Zach wearing an England shirt in one of your pics?

Gosh...I am so anxiously anticipating Raglan Road!! Will we love it?! I hope so! Sorry it was kind of off for you guys.

I must obtain a carrot cake cookie! Usually my breakfast in DHS consists of Starring Rolls cupcakes. :rotfl:

What a weird experience at Yachtsman. It's so frustrating when you know how it should be but it's really not worth arguing. Like seriously? I don't see what the big deal would have been. I'm glad you got the Glowtini though! Looks delicious!! :thumbsup2 I'm glad the food made up for it! It all sounded and looked SO GOOD! Gosh...and then the service stinks again and she just decides where to charge the OOP costs? I would not have been happy! Hopefully if I have any preferences I can remember to specify beforehand to avoid that.

Great reviews :thumbsup2

So sorry you had a poor experience with the service at Yachtsman. My DD and I are eating there for her 21st Birthday and I really hope they don't have an issue with us subbing sides. I am seriously struggling to understand how you can order a more expensive meal and still get charged an up-charge for having the side from the cheaper meal :confused3

By the way, is Zach wearing an England shirt in one of your pics?
Right?? Isn't the upcharge just ridiculous! I just didn't feel like causing a stink.
And yes-- Zach loves everything British, from the designers like Ben Sherman, to the sports like the English national football team! He has a ton of football jerseys & track jackets!

Gosh...I am so anxiously anticipating Raglan Road!! Will we love it?! I hope so! Sorry it was kind of off for you guys.

I must obtain a carrot cake cookie! Usually my breakfast in DHS consists of Starring Rolls cupcakes. :rotfl:

What a weird experience at Yachtsman. It's so frustrating when you know how it should be but it's really not worth arguing. Like seriously? I don't see what the big deal would have been. I'm glad you got the Glowtini though! Looks delicious!! :thumbsup2 I'm glad the food made up for it! It all sounded and looked SO GOOD! Gosh...and then the service stinks again and she just decides where to charge the OOP costs? I would not have been happy! Hopefully if I have any preferences I can remember to specify beforehand to avoid that.
You will love Raglan! Honestly, the food was reallllly good. And the atmosphere was really fun.
Definitely make sure to specify how your want your OOP costs handled! No one else was as presumptuous as this chick but I guess you never know!

And yes-- Zach loves everything British, from the designers like Ben Sherman, to the sports like the English national football team! He has a ton of football jerseys & track jackets!

The man has taste :thumbsup2

On our Animal Kingdom day, we make a point of heading out of the park to have lunch at one of the resorts since we’re not crazy about any of the AK CS places. I love visiting the Poly, so we decided to try Captain Cook’s!
I found the touch screens here pretty easy to use, except I couldn’t figure out how we were supposed to select desserts. When we got up to the cashier, she explained that we could select desserts then & patiently waited for Zach to make a bakery selection. It took me no time at all to pick a Dole Whip! Zach got an apple crisp type thing-- I’m mentioning these now because I unfortunately forgot to take pic of either of them. I loved my Dole Whip, of course, and Zach enjoyed his apple thing, too.
For our entrees, Zach got the stir fried noodles with chicken:

He found it very fresh-- the veggies were nice and crispy, the noodles perfectly al dente, and the wonton chips a nice textural difference. The broth was not overly salty, and everything was piping hot. Yum!
I ordered the pulled pork nachos:

Oh my. Oh my. These were FABULOUS! The pork was tender and spicy, and the mayo and pineapple salsa was a cool contrast to the hot pork and chips. I love that there was wonton chips and polynesian kettle chips-- and a ton of cheese! I ate as much of this as I could handle, which ended up being about three quarters of the plate. It was incredibly filling.
Zach would give this meal an 8 out of 10. He wasn’t crazy about the decor and thought the process to select a dessert was not clearly explained, but he loved his food. I loved my nachos so much that I can look over the ordering process, so I give Captain Cook’s a 10. We will definitely be back!

:faint: The pulled pork nachos sound AMAZING! I have never tried the Poly's CS, but this would be reason to go!!!

:faint: The pulled pork nachos sound AMAZING! I have never tried the Poly's CS, but this would be reason to go!!!

Definitely worth a trip!! I love visiting the Poly, and the nachos made the visit even more worthwhile!!

Ooh I have to catch up on your reviews!

I haven't tried Pecos Bill's at MK yet. I really should get over there, it sounds pretty good! And I find it hilarious that they thought his name was "Sach"! haha!

It's too bad that your experience at Raglan Road wasn't that good. I haven't been there but the food sounds interesting.

I actually don't mind pizza planet either. Though I hate when they oversauce pizza! And then the sauce comes oozing out every time you take a bite, and it's usually really hot and burns your tongue haha. And last time I was there I actually really enjoyed the caesar salad too!

What a shame about the service at Yachtsman, too. But the food sounds incredible - especially truffle fries!!

Oooh, Captain Cook's is another place I have to try. Pork nachos sound incredible! And with getting a dole whip for dessert, you can't go wrong!

Haven't commented here in awhile!

I should have gone to Pizza Planet instead of ABC, blah. I like mediocre pizza, haha.

The food at Yachtsman looked really good, I'm officially ready for dinner now! Too bad the service sucked, I always find that disappointing, especially at expensive restaurants, they should be the best servers, not the worst. Hope you didn't tip her too much.

Ooh I have to catch up on your reviews!

I haven't tried Pecos Bill's at MK yet. I really should get over there, it sounds pretty good! And I find it hilarious that they thought his name was "Sach"! haha!

It's too bad that your experience at Raglan Road wasn't that good. I haven't been there but the food sounds interesting.

I actually don't mind pizza planet either. Though I hate when they oversauce pizza! And then the sauce comes oozing out every time you take a bite, and it's usually really hot and burns your tongue haha. And last time I was there I actually really enjoyed the caesar salad too!

What a shame about the service at Yachtsman, too. But the food sounds incredible - especially truffle fries!!

Oooh, Captain Cook's is another place I have to try. Pork nachos sound incredible! And with getting a dole whip for dessert, you can't go wrong!
Haha "Sach" makes us laugh a ridiculous amount. Raglan Road's food was good (except Zach's entree), it was really just the service.
I totally cut my PP pizza with a fork and knife! I couldn't handle the sauciness!
Captain Cook's really is a gem. I love the WL, but I wish it had a CS with food themed to the resort the way CC is to the Poly! Those nachos were so unique! It was a tough decision between those and the grown up grilled cheese, though!

Haven't commented here in awhile!

I should have gone to Pizza Planet instead of ABC, blah. I like mediocre pizza, haha.

The food at Yachtsman looked really good, I'm officially ready for dinner now! Too bad the service sucked, I always find that disappointing, especially at expensive restaurants, they should be the best servers, not the worst. Hope you didn't tip her too much.
I think PP is really the only worthwhile CS in DHS! Maybe next trip, if we're feeling ambitious, we'll walk to Epcot and have lunch in the WS instead!
I have to remind myself not to read dining reviews when it's nowhere near a meal time. It makes me so hungry!

I had been SO looking forward to dinner this day: We were eating at Be Our Guest! I was so lucky to nab a reservation, and at a good time, too! (6:05) The cast member who checked us in was brusque, but the hostess who sat us was lovely. I love how in character they are; they really sell the theme that it’s “Beast’s castle.” Sidenote, this is the closest thing to a character meal I’ve ever been to, so maybe that’s a common thing. Regardless, I thought it was cute!

I had been having an alcoholic drink with all of my meals, but I just couldn’t at BOG! I wasn’t opposed to them serving here, at all, but I wanted to keep up the tradition of no alcohol in the MK.

We were seated in the main ballroom-- so beautiful! I was marveling over the details when Zach pointed out how creepy some of the cherubs look. The couple seated next to us said that they are modeled after the faces of the Imagineers who worked on the restaurant. Not sure if that’s accurate, but it sounds plausible!

We started off the meal with the plain Disney rolls. Yuck. These were cold and tasteless. Chefs de France has the most delicious baguettes-- why can’t BOG get on that train?? Poor bread in a French restaurant is a crime!

Our server, whose name I unfortunately forget, was great. She was efficient and friendly and got us everything we need.

I ordered the scallops and shrimp in puff pastry, and requested all scallops. They had no problem with that:

I loved the seared scallops on the side. They were large and cooked perfectly. What about the puff pastry? Ehh. My main problem was that the spinach was not cooked enough (and I like my veggies al dente!) and the bitterness leached into the sauce, on the scallops, and just permeated the dish. I was not a huge fan. I mainly dabbled the scallops dry of the sauce and ate those, leaving the sauce, pastry, and veggies.

Zach fared much better. He stuck with the simple dish of steak, frites, and green beans.

He actually thought this was really good. The steak was cooked perfectly and was decent quality. The veggies were crunchy and the fries were salty and delicious. I helped myself to more than a few of those since I didn’t eat most of my meal.

For dessert, Zach had the chocolate cupcake:

This was heavy and way too rich for him. Make sure you’re a chocolate lover if you order this!

My dessert was definitely my favorite thing I put in my mouth this meal, the strawberry cupcake:

SO good! The cream cheese frosting was rich, but not too heavy. The strawberry flavor wasn’t overpowering, either. Essentially, just perfection.

Zach gives BOG a 10 for atmosphere and a 7 for food. I’ll agree that the atmosphere is just spectacular, but I have to give the food a 5. I really only liked part of my entree, one side, and dessert. I’m really so glad I had a chance to eat here, and would definitely consider going again in the future-- but only if they make some menu changes.

Here’s a bonus picture of Zach, who figured out how to make the napkin roses & was very proud of himself haha:

My friend had the stirfry at CC too, and liked it. I screwed up and got the Chicken burger which was just okay! Your nachos look amaaaaazing.

Too bad you didn't like your meal at BOG! I know what you mean about the bitter spinach flavour, bummer. At least Zach liked his, the steak did look pretty good. And if all else fails, get a cupcake, that's what I say!

I'm glad you enjoyed BoG despite the mediocre food. Our experience was not stellar either. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter