A "Formal" Question for DCL

khmz

Earning My Ears
My family will be going on the 7 night Western Med cruise this fall. I have read several threads about formal night on DIS, but did not see this particular question. I am in the Air Force and we are authorized to wear our "mess dress" to formal events. Have you seen military personnel in uniform for formal night on DCL? I would rather wear it than a gown but it may be a bit much if other cruisers don't dress up. TIA.

Yes, I have seen pics of military uniforms as formal attire. It is absolutely acceptable.

As an Air Force brat and a Marine wife and mom, it is an honor to see military uniforms.

Yes, I have seen pics of military uniforms as formal attire. It is absolutely acceptable.

As an Air Force brat and a Marine wife and mom, it is an honor to see military uniforms.

Could not agree more. Military dress uniforms are always welcome and an honor to dine around. Thank you for your service. :thumbsup2

DH wears his dress blues :thumbsup2

If you are lucky you get to see uniforms from around the world, or at least we think they are dress uniforms from other nations and like to think that:goodvibes

YES. We were on the Magic the first of May and saw about 15 people wearing uniforms on formal night. It was great to see them. So many people these days just want to be casual. We dress for formal and sim formal nights. By all means wear your uniform and be proud. As a vet I am proud to see you in it. Thanks for your service.

I would love to see you in your uniform. It would give me the opportunity to say thank you for your service.

This question is asked from time to time and the answer is always YES!!! Military personnel often wear their uniforms. We have seen tons of uniforms onboard over the years!!!:thumbsup2

MJ

My family will be going on the 7 night Western Med cruise this fall. I have read several threads about formal night on DIS, but did not see this particular question. I am in the Air Force and we are authorized to wear our "mess dress" to formal events. Have you seen military personnel in uniform for formal night on DCL? I would rather wear it than a gown but it may be a bit much if other cruisers don't dress up. TIA.

You absolutely can. My husband is active duty Air Force but said NO WAY was he taking all the "stuff" he would need for his mess dress! I do think there is more stuff for the men than for the women though! He just didn't want to take a pair of shoes that he could only wear with the mess dress. Plus the jacket is super bulky! :)

Thank you all for your responses. I had seen mixed responses on military forums. Most of the negatives came when the service member wore their uniform but most civilians did not dress up and therefore felt overdressed.

A mother/daughter photo in my dress uniform onboard would make a special keepsake. I know for the guys it's extra packing. Men and women have the same accoutrements, but if I'm packing a gown it's not a big difference. Heck, I think it's easier since the skirt and jacket are a smaller footprint than a formal gown. I could see the point of some posters that guys can wear the civilian garb mix and match other times.

So I will be packing my mess dress. Thanks again to all.

We were on a 7 night a few years ago....not a lot of people wear gowns, but of course their are still families that really dress up.

Suits and cocktails dresses are more the norm.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter