A ? for a WDW employee

gibmom

Earning My Ears
Hi! My family will be staying at POP Sept.25-Oct.1. I have 3 girls, 12 , 14, and 17 years old. Is it safe to let them travel around the Disney area just the 3 of them? I figure someone who works there might know best if it's safe. I want them to have time on their own but of course I'm inclined to worry! Thanks ahead for any response!
Julie

I'm not a WDW employee, but as a frequent visitor I would think that girls of that age, as long as they stick together, would be fine at WDW. Of course, we're just talking traveling to the theme parks and back to the resort, right? Not roaming around late at night or off-site.

Hi,I am not a WDW employee but am the mom of an almost 16 year old daughter. (and an overprotective mom at that, according to her).

Last October when she had just turned 15 we went to WDW and we did let her go off on her own. Most of the times we were in the same park, but she just did not want to do hte same things we did. Now, this was our 7th trip, so she knows her way around very well. We stayed at POR and a couple of times she stayed back at MK while we went back to the resort. It worked out just fine. She knew where to catch the bus when it was time to leave. One thing that helped was she had her cell phone and we could call her or she could call us to see where she was.

I'd think as long as your daughters know they MUST stay together, and that their oldest sister has the final word, I'd feel fine with it. And I am a worrying kind of mom, too, but really it worked out very well. Oh yes, we only did this during the day, not after dark.
Good luck.

I was a very frequent guest at WDW and now live very close to the parks. If you use common sense and keep your eyes open WDW is safe for your children. I wouldn't go offsite or be out real late at those ages but they will have a great time without the adults.

Another Mom here, and I would say it should be fine. Last year my two boys were 17 and 14 and we let they have some freedom and go their separate way. It worked out fine. We always kept in touch with our cell phones, but I was pretty comfortable with it.

Just think of all the HS Band students that go...how many chaperones do they have?...and I never see any with the bunch that are ahead of me on line for a ride. I would think they would be fine...at that age(15yo) I was doing a semester abroad... and my parents survived. :teeth:

Thanks so much for the replies! My oldest has a fear of getting lost but I feel certain that she could ask any WDW bus driver and they could help her know what bus to catch/were to go. Actually, it's those 15 yr old band students that make me more concerned ;) !
Julie

When my daughter was 15, I let her and her friend go off by themselves. As long as they met me when they were suppose to and came in at the agreed time, I was willing to give them freedom. They did very well and had a wonderful time.

gibmom said:
Thanks so much for the replies! My oldest has a fear of getting lost but I feel certain that she could ask any WDW bus driver and they could help her know what bus to catch/were to go. Actually, it's those 15 yr old band students that make me more concerned ;) !
Julie

In 1999 when our daughter was 14 and our son was 17 my dh I and were chaperones for their HS Marching Band.
Yes we did give the kids a little freedom to go on the rides but they always had to check in with us every couple of hours and they were not allowed to leave the park on their own. Everyone had to meet at the Charter buses for a head count before heading back to our hotel. We trated the students with respect and expected the same. The students on our bus were actually very polite and responsible young people.
I am sure your children are too.

As long as they stick together enjoying the parks and will not be out late
they should be fine.
Have a wonderful at Disney!
Linda ::MinnieMo

As a mom and a post chaperone for band students. When my children reached the age of 15 etc and the band students I was responsible for (10 of them) I would allow them to be in the same park as me and they could go off in their direction. Some chose to stay with me (4) as our taste for attractions was about the same. I would let them chose. But the other had to report at a specified location at a specified time. Around 4 hours or so apart.. We all ate at the same place for lunch and dinner. They did not mind it and none were more than 5 minutes late. Due to lines. I told them I would alot a 5 to 10 minute leway but no more. If they were more than that they would have to remain with me from that point on.

The main thing is I would not let them go to a separate park. At least if something should happen, (1 child got overheated and I was contacted to meet them at the clinic area) We were there to help. We were given a wheelchair for her and she took it in stride. After a cool down period she was fine and chose then to stay with out group.

So keep them in the same park, they will still have their freedom and feel very grown up. They will realize even adults have responsibilities and must meet someone when they are supposed to. All our chaperones took this approach and I can say that all 250 kids had a wonderful time and we were very proud of them when they marched at the Magic Kindom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter