A First timers DisneyMoon Dining Report - Updated La Cantina de San Angel 8/6

Sorry Tusker wasn't a better experience for you. I totally agree it, and all the character meals, are grossly overpriced, but Tusker is the one where we actually enjoy the food. Though service has been spotty for us too

For every sip of juice we also had a sip of water.

I don't like sweet juice either...I may try mixing it with water when we go lol

the ONLY breakfast place that served tater tots.

I do love some tater tots!!

I'm sorry you weren't that impressed...we booked this one for the characters and because like Kari said, the food is rumoured to be better than some other character meals. I'm so sorry the service wasn't great...I can understand when you're done wanting to get out and do the park...sigh...

Sorry it took so long for the waitress to come back with your check. That's always frustrating. Character meals can always be lengthy and pricey! We haven't tried Tusker House out yet because of this but it does get a lot of good reviews.

I preferred what our waitress did in Crystal Palace; give us our bill as soon as it was obvious we were finished eating and tell us we can wait as long as we liked for the characters. We waited as long as we were comfortable and then took off when we realized Piglet would be a long wait. I really think this should be the norm.

The service is a hit or miss at TH for breakfast. I love the characters there and the food. Maybe we will return there in the fall or try CP.

We loooovved Crystal Palace, but the character interactions were better here..and of course it's the big cheese himself.
Sorry Tusker wasn't a better experience for you. I totally agree it, and all the character meals, are grossly overpriced, but Tusker is the one where we actually enjoy the food. Though service has been spotty for us too

I liked that I got to try new things at Tusker. It wasn't just the same old same old breakfast food. The food was great save for the not hot hot-chocolate but I don't know if we'll be back for a while cause of the service. There's much more character meals to check out.

I don't like sweet juice either...I may try mixing it with water when we go lol

I do love some tater tots!!

I'm sorry you weren't that impressed...we booked this one for the characters and because like Kari said, the food is rumoured to be better than some other character meals. I'm so sorry the service wasn't great...I can understand when you're done wanting to get out and do the park...sigh...

I didn't find any problems with the food. It was on the same level of Crystal Palace which we also enjoyed but there were some interesting things on the menu if you'd like to try something new. It's really the service that threw me off...and the price :sad:but I knew what it cost going in. Might try Yak & Yeti as our Animal Kingdom table service next time.

Yak & Yeti Counter Service

After reading great things about the counter service at Yak & Yeti I decided to head over there for lunch. We had just finished Expedition Everest (which I enjoyed more than I thought I did) and had a large break between our FPs for Kali River Rapids. Unfortunately, it's just me as DH was still full from breakfast. Going off a few tips I had come across I decided to order Chicken Fried Rice and a pork egg roll. The fried rice might be considered a side dish but it was a large enough size that I didn't even finish all that was in the container. It would be considered a 'small' size container at most fast food chinese places.

As for the food itself, it was pretty much basic chinese take away. Not like the really nice Chinese place back home, but more of the one that you run to late at night when you're super hungry and need something filling. I have a problem with some asian restaurants where in I get really sick off of the food. There's only 3 places I can eat at back home compared to the 7 that we have on island. I did not get any indigestion/upset stomach/irritation of any kind from this food. So it get's a thumbs up in my book. Note that I did dose it in that orange-ish sauce (duck sauce??) but that's what I do with all fried rice so I held it to the same standard.

4992570a-7d2c-4fd1-ac0c-96302cc61382_zpsmrd2djtv.jpg

Chicken Fried Rice

a8e1d3b6-c07a-4068-b729-1db16460c380_zpsni9uiezg.jpg

Pork Egg Roll

For the whopping price of $10.26 including food, a bottle of water, and tax I got a pretty decent meal for lunch. Recommend it and would definitely stop by again.

P.S. Yak & Yeti Counter Service..please add more seating with shade if possible. We were able to snag a table under the awning but everyone else out in the sun looked miserable.​

I did the counterservice years ago and agree it was pretty basic chinese food. But if you get a chance, Yak n Yeti table service is a whole 'nother ball game

Great reviews! Keep em coming! And that's neat you get to see the Disney Fantasy so often in St. Thomas - too bad you couldn't just hitch a ride and take it to Florida lol

That fried rice looked pretty good I thought! I agree about the shade...I wish more places would add seating and shade...maybe they just don't want people lingering...who knows...

I have never tried their CS, as I am obsessed with the TS Tak & Yeti.

I've read such wonderful reviews about their TS but since we just ate at Tusker's for breakfast I didn't feel comfortable making another ADR, fearing that we would be too full.

I did the counterservice years ago and agree it was pretty basic chinese food. But if you get a chance, Yak n Yeti table service is a whole 'nother ball game

I think we'll be doing the Table Service next time around.

Great reviews! Keep em coming! And that's neat you get to see the Disney Fantasy so often in St. Thomas - too bad you couldn't just hitch a ride and take it to Florida lol

It's such a pretty ship, especially on the odd times it stays at night. I really want to go on a Disney cruise, but there's no way to really afford one right now.

Following along, and congratulations on your marriage!
Thank you very much.

Mmmmmm eggrolls!
It was pretty good. Wish they'd give you more than one, though.

That fried rice looked pretty good I thought! I agree about the shade...I wish more places would add seating and shade...maybe they just don't want people lingering...who knows...

I absolutely refused to sit in the sun. I've realized that a lot of the parks don't have nice shady areas to sit in. That's a shame because it gets so hot and miserable sometimes.

First of all, you might be wondering how I went from lunch to lunch the next day. We decided, because we didn't have plans that evening, that we'd just take it easy and relax in the room. I ordered pizza from Papa John's and had it delivered to our hotel. This seems to be a frequent practice because when I was waiting for the delivery another pizza guy showed up from Domino's. We had pizza for dinner and then I had leftovers for breakfast the next day. We were supposed to go to the waterpark but I had a job interview over the phone that morning and it really changed up our plans. So we decided to head back to Epcot to spend even more ridiculous sums of money in Japan. However, we were hungry by the time we got there.

La Cantina de San Angel

It was really the first restaurant in World Showcase so we went ahead and stood in line to get something to eat. We decided on the Tacos de Barbacoa for both of us and each got a Jarritos and a bottle of water.

95bf0285-86fb-405f-9778-2f9d0fd10fa9_zpsqihapi4l.jpg

This was our worst meal at Disney World. Neither of us even finished. The black beans were ok but the rice was very bland and the tacos had little flavor. The meat relied heavily on whatever sauce it was soaked in but that was it. It was acidic, which I expected from tacos, but this was absolutely ridiculous. I ate 2 bites of the taco and had to go reaching for my medicine. DH found them overbearing also and he doesn't even have any digestive issues.

I also am a bit upset I ordered the Jarritos. I had wanted to try something new...but I when she put it on my tray I realized that I'd had the same soda many times when I was a child. A lot of the supermarkets and convenience stores used to sell them down here and for a lot cheaper too. Half way through we gave up and just dumped the rest of the food and continued on into world showcase.

Kringla Bakery

I was still really hungry after our encounter at La Cantina so I opted to stop off in Norway for a snack. I had to choose between a Cloud Horn or the School Bread. The cast member recommended the School Bread so I went with that.

7e95c9d8-72cb-482d-a00b-2a077c5bf4ae_zpswsbubnmz.jpg

This was fantastic. The cream right there in the middle really hit the spot after all the horrible sauce from earlier. A bottle of water is definitely recommended from here also. I drank off the rest of mine that I had from before. I'm surprised I liked it so much considering that I'm not a fan of coconut but I would definitely order this again.​

So sorry your meal at La Cantina was so bad. Never been there, but now on the list to definitely avoid. But so glad that School Bread made up for it!

In won't be ordering those tacos for sure! I love their nachos there and salsa. Sorry you had a bad meal :(

The cream right there in the middle really hit the spot after all the horrible sauce from earlier.

I'm glad you got something amazing to make up for the wretched tacos...too bad about that. That school bread is raved about all over this place....I'm not a fan of coconut either but you made it sound so good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter