A First timers DisneyMoon Dining Report - Updated La Cantina de San Angel 8/6

Hollywood Studios Snacks & 50's Prime Time

We did some more rides and after DH dragged me on Tower of Terror against my will he decided to treat me to a Mickey Bar for all of my efforts.

c9e1ae4c-6361-4854-b351-5264d6d1fbdd_zps6wu8c4kh.jpg

My Mickey Bar

833f0b45-2971-4cd5-97b4-a69a4e954677_zpswjgfutua.jpg

DH's Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich

These were pretty good. You can't go wrong with a Mickey bar. It's not super rich ice cream by any means, but it's delicious and hits the spot on a hot day. I will realize later that I preferred the Mickey Bar over the Sandwich. Now, somewhere around this point I remembered that I had picked up the Benadryl for that rash that had formed on my face and I went ahead and took two of them.

Shortly after wandering around and taking some more pictures, I realized that I was super tired and super hungry. We checked into 50's even though our reservation wasn't for another hour. The lady told us it would be a 40 minute wait. :sad: The waiting lounge area was PACKED so we decided to just wander around outside for a little while. We got some good photopass pictures during this time, basically going from one photographer to the next.

DH also got a bag of popcorn. It was his first of many during our stay. It was good popcorn. Buttery and not salty like I prefer. It's a shame that I didn't get a picture of ANY of his bags of popcorn. But it really looks like pretty standard movie popcorn. After going in and out of shops for about 20 minutes we returned to 50's and got called about 5 minutes after we arrived. :D

50's Prime Time

50's Cafe definitely has a homey feel to it, however, like Starry Rolls it was a bit smaller than I had imagined. The decor was really nice and DH and I got a small table in the corner of one of the rooms.

77fa195f-5b2d-4997-a7ab-718d31083f05_zpsv71twoh7.jpg

4b17f58c-bd40-4698-916d-099708f3d11a_zpsyciwokwo.jpg

By the time we had gotten seated, I wasn't feeling very well. I was tired and quite dizzy. Our waitress was dealing with another table when we entered and saw my condition and brought me a glass of water right away. She was very nice throughout our meal and stopped by to check on us often without being overbearing.

I usually order appetizers but there was really nothing that interested me here, so I jumped straight to the main course. DH ordered the pot roast and I had the fried chicken. When I asked for corn with it as the vegetable, she informed us they had gotten rid of the collard greens and corn was the usual accompaniment. :thumbsup2 I also ordered a Peanut Butter and Jelly milkshake. I really wanted to try one of these from all the great reviews I've seen of it.

95843f4e-0e0d-469d-ae71-0651764c211f_zpshiywe3wl.jpg

Peanut Butter & Jelly Milkshake

1cd26db6-48d8-497d-b470-dee1b4616df2_zps4ba41cx8.jpg

Mom's Old-Fashioned Pot Roast

ca0e3c2a-a503-4356-9f19-3fdc7f7dfbd3_zpsy3xffulc.jpg

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken

DH loved his pot roast. Thumbs up from him. While he likes mashed potatoes, he does not like them lumpy. Apparently his potatoes had too many lumps in them so it stayed on the side. As for my fried chicken, I don't know who Aunt Liz is but she deserves a raise. This was the best fried chicken I ever had. It was so delicious. My one drawback was that I forgot to order no gravy on the mashed potatoes. My own fault, but the gravy wasn't bad so I ate it anyway. I absolutely cleaned my plate...and then I turned around and cleaned DH's too. The mashed potatoes and veggies he left behind turned in MY mashed potatoes and veggies. Unfortunately, I was so busy eating I forgot about my milkshake. It was very good; tasted more of peanut butter than jelly. I was so full from the food, though, I only was able to drink about quarter of it. It did feel like a waste ordering since I drank about 3 glasses of water instead. While 'Ohana was DH's fave; this was mine. It gets A+ straight across the board. We will definitely be back here. I also liked that it was one of our least expensive dinners.

By the end of the meal my stomach was happy and full and I was falling asleep at the table. I couldn't understand why I was so tired when I remembered I had taken the Benadryl about an hour before. When our waitress came to ask for dessert I was both full and fearful I would fall asleep into a sundae so we skipped it and headed back to the resort. I was so upset we missed Fantasmic but there was no way I could have kept on going. DH had to help me to the bus stop and when we got back to the room I pretty much just went to sleep....for about 11 hours.:eek:

Oh my goodness Benadryl knocks me on my bum HARD. Glad you got back to the resort safely!

Love, love, love that fried chicken at 50's! Seriously Aunt Liz does deserve a raise.. :rotfl2:

So sorry you weren't 100% that day. I'm glad you still made it to 50's, though! Both two great choices for dinner entrees.

What a nice husband for rewarding you with a Mickey bar. :thumbsup2 If I had been dragged onto Rock'n Rollercoaster and TOT, I'd need a Mickey bar too, or a drink.

Subbing in. Congratulations on your marriage and yeah for a disneymoon.

Your Ohana meal looks great. Sounds like you and DH were both able to get the best of what you wanted.

We love starring rolls too. All their pastries are delicious.

Your 50s meal looks great. Gotta get me some of that fried chicken

Awe sorry you were feeling bad :(. We love the PTs is one of our favs. The pot roast and chicken are amazing!! We ate there a few weeks ago and I tried the peanut butter and jelly shake since there raves about it, it was good but would not get it again.

Oh my goodness Benadryl knocks me on my bum HARD. Glad you got back to the resort safely!

It doesn't usually affect me this badly. I guess a mixture of already being tired and the heat just knocked me out completely. I'm glad we got back ok too. The bus barely had anyone on it and I took a quick nap on the way back.

Joining in on the fun. I love to see good reviews on Ohana.

Great to have you! Our time at 'Ohana was fantastic.

Love, love, love that fried chicken at 50's! Seriously Aunt Liz does deserve a raise.. :rotfl2:

So sorry you weren't 100% that day. I'm glad you still made it to 50's, though! Both two great choices for dinner entrees.

What a nice husband for rewarding you with a Mickey bar. :thumbsup2 If I had been dragged onto Rock'n Rollercoaster and TOT, I'd need a Mickey bar too, or a drink.

I could have used the drink too but I don't think it would have worked out too well with the medicine. :faint: I'm really happy we made it to 50's. Unfortunately, you're going to see a lot of me not feeling too well during this trip, but one thing we made sure to do is not to miss any ADRs. I was running from that cancellation fee, and I was too excited for all of the restaurants.

great review so far...following along!!

The more the merrier. Thanks for reading.

Subbing in. Congratulations on your marriage and yeah for a disneymoon.

Your Ohana meal looks great. Sounds like you and DH were both able to get the best of what you wanted.

We love starring rolls too. All their pastries are delicious.

Your 50s meal looks great. Gotta get me some of that fried chicken

Thank you! Yes, our 'Ohana meal was really catered to us. I honestly didn't care that I didn't like the steak, but the fact that DH loved it was the important part. And of course..I ate everything else under the sun. 50's fried chicken is delicious. This will be a repeat restaurant for sure.

Awe sorry you were feeling bad :(. We love the PTs is one of our favs. The pot roast and chicken are amazing!! We ate there a few weeks ago and I tried the peanut butter and jelly shake since there raves about it, it was good but would not get it again.

I agree. I enjoyed it when I had one..but it felt like a big waste of money because I couldn't drink a decent amount of it. Maybe I would order a shake for a dessert if I'm not full, but for the most part I guess I'll just stick to my water or juice.

The next morning we had breakfast at Crystal Palace

930d953f-32c5-4978-bee3-f119b596fd7e_zpsqt7xp7zb.jpg

I was bright-eyed and bushy tailed for breakfast with Pooh bear. And very much well-rested after the previous days events.

ad8bf340-b1a8-4774-9b68-b992b68ef21a_zpsa2qnpd4k.jpg

Not to mention my eyebrows were quite bushy also :confused3

Despite waking up super early..we were still a bit late for our ADR. It was for 8:30 and we arrived at 8:45. Our wait time wasn't long maybe about 10 minutes. We were seated and our waitress came to explain everything and take our drink orders. She was very nice and actually reminded me of the server we had the night before. She came frequently with refills and was quick with the check but not pushy about leaving. We had absolutely no complaints in terms of service.

When we got there our table was decorated with pixie dust because of our honeymoon. Thanks Crystal Palace!
e3e582eb-49bf-4ba2-acdf-d3f89c232527_zpsdptxoegi.jpg

Both DH and I ordered hot chocolate and orange juice as beverages along with a glass of water. After typing it all out I realize now why I had to use the bathroom so often..we definitely stayed hydrated during our trip. The closest character near us was Tigger but it was still going to be a while so headed to the buffet.

bf6bc8d7-241d-45d9-af35-dc72cabc25e5_zps31qlvyuf.jpg

My first plate

First of all, I didn't realize until later there were bigger plates I could use..so I had piled all of my food on a little dessert plate. On there I had some eggs, a biscuit, bacon, sausage, a pancake, pooh's puffed french toast, and a Mickey waffle hidden somewhere underneath there too. Everything was good. I had read complaints about the eggs but I didn't have any problems with mine. The pancake tasted great as did the biscuit and sausage. The bacon was a bit floppy like how I like it (hate super crispy bacon). The puffed french toast does taste good, however, it was a bit too sweet for my taste. Mickey waffles though are awesome. I now understand everyone's amazing love for them. They were delicious..yet for some reason or the next I only got one.

b1049b96-713a-4a76-b41c-4ff631b1a8d7_zpsd3blnbku.jpg

DH's plate

DH's plate was pretty similar to mine. He had biscuits, eggs, sauce, and bacon. In addition he also had a croissant, cinnamon roll, and a boiled egg. His only complaint throughout the meal was that the egg was a bit cold on the inside. We didn't know how long it had been sitting under the lamps so I cautioned him not to eat it incase he got sick.

I had finished up most of my first place when Tigger came around. He is my favorite Winnie the Pooh character and I was super excited.
bc771503-bd5c-4191-b399-232d9c726fe0_zpsbouvno4x.jpg

YAASSS TIGGER!!!

After Tigger left I got up to get my 2nd plate.

d9dc6223-29e9-4c43-9e18-e72d2bf1b833_zpslrtmxmmf.jpg

I still don't remember why I didn't get a 2nd Mickey waffle. I remember cleaning my plate of everything except the puffed french toast..:confused3 Oh well. The strawberry was fresh and tasted delicious as did everything else on the plate. I was very happy with this meal. DH never got up to get a 2nd plate, saying he was full from his first. Eeyore stopped for a visit and then soon after the silly old bear himself, Pooh stopped by.

b13a5dce-cea7-4a92-9e65-f69d35c58c2d_zpsh4eefpwj.jpg

Eeyore!!

53195110-8690-4ac4-9f4d-9a82edef4dbe_zpsnz0tapyr.jpg

Pooh Bear!

181af90b-bb14-4c4b-91db-5b475f63e631_zpsgqudddzf.jpg

Super Blurry Picture of Piglet

It would have been quite a wait for Piglet so we opted to skip him as we wanted to get into the park. I did manage to get a picture of him from a distance. As for value, my credit card statement tells me that we paid $67.49 for this meal for the two of us. It is quite pricy for breakfast but meeting the characters was awesome and the food and service was very good. Would we do it again? Yes we would but as for now, there are other character breakfasts that I would like to visit so it might not be for a while.​

It's definitely not a cheap breakfast! We went there on our last trip and really enjoyed it. I agree with the Mickey waffles - I don't know why, but they are just SO GOOD! The puffed french toast is a bit sweet but still yummy. Glad to see you enjoyed it, it's definitely worth the early morning. :)

Agree with you on the cost of character meals being ridiculously high. I about had a coronary on our last trip when my 4 year olds meal was $24.99!!!! Will likely be a while if we do one again.

Congratulations - loving your reviews so far. CP is our traditional first breakfast choice. Poor you with the Benadryl. DD had a mosquito bite allergy at WDW a few years ago and then a Benadryl allergy :( luckily it was not our first visit.

Looking forward to the rest :goodvibes:

Congratulations !!

From one wiggly bacon lover to another I'm enjoying your reviews and I'm looking forward to the next installment :goodvibes

Terri

I am enjoying your reviews.. I am so hungry now!

So am I. And I have to cook now cause I'm not on vacation anymore:sad:. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Thanks for stopping in.

It's definitely not a cheap breakfast! We went there on our last trip and really enjoyed it. I agree with the Mickey waffles - I don't know why, but they are just SO GOOD! The puffed french toast is a bit sweet but still yummy. Glad to see you enjoyed it, it's definitely worth the early morning. :)

It's not. I'm going to get an even bigger sticker shock with Tusker House later on.:scared: It was definitely worth waking up a little earlier for because we got to see the Main Street a bit before it got crowded. Really something else.

Congratulations on your wedding! I am loving your reviews so far and looking forward to reading more!

Thank you. And thanks for stopping in. Happy to hear you're enjoying it.

Agree with you on the cost of character meals being ridiculously high. I about had a coronary on our last trip when my 4 year olds meal was $24.99!!!! Will likely be a while if we do one again.

$25 for a 4 year old :scared1: Oh dear..this is definitely cementing my idea of bringing our future kids to the park from 6+ when they're old enough to remember it.

Congratulations - loving your reviews so far. CP is our traditional first breakfast choice. Poor you with the Benadryl. DD had a mosquito bite allergy at WDW a few years ago and then a Benadryl allergy :( luckily it was not our first visit.

Looking forward to the rest :goodvibes:

Oh dear, that sounds absolutely miserable; your poor DD....I didn't even think that someone could be allergic to Benadryl. I guess the only other solution is an epipen. Sorry to hear that happened.

Congratulations !!

From one wiggly bacon lover to another I'm enjoying your reviews and I'm looking forward to the next installment :goodvibes

Terri

YES! Say NO to crispy crunchy bacon! Happy to hear you're enjoying it.

Magic Kingdom Snacks & Cosmic Ray's

Later on in the day we passed the Main Street Bakery/Starbucks and I decided to stop in to get a snack. DH chose a chocolate chip cookie and I had a strawberry chocolate cupcake. There aren't any pictures of these as I had my hands full and we ate as we walked along. DH, as usual, had no complaints about his cookie. My cupcake was chocolate with strawberry frosting. This was very rich and tasty and the biggest recommendation I can give is to either a) share it with someone b) purchase a bottle of water when you buy the cupcake or c) both. It was delicious but oh so sweet and cavity inducing. We also got a bag of popcorn some time after Splash Mountain. It was the same popcorn; wonderfully buttery.

After our cupcake we were still hungry so we went to have some actual lunch. Our first stop was to Tomorrowland Terrace. Unfortunately, they ran out of burgers right after we paid for 2 cheeseburgers :confused:. We were still in front of the register when the manager ( I assume or a supervisor) came over to let the cashier know and she happily refunded my credit card....so we had to go and look for somewhere to eat.

I had originally wanted to go to Cosmic Ray's but since TT was closer we had stopped there first since we were pretty hungry. Apparently this was not meant to be so DH gave in and followed me to Cosmic Ray's. To say this place was packed was an understatement. There was someone manning the door at both entrances, another directing you to which line you should be in, and another finding tables for you to sit at. We got into the burger and sandwich line. DH got a 1/3 lb. Angus Bacon Cheeseburger with an orange juice and I got the Bacon Deluxe Chicken Sandwich with a bottle of water.

062ec5ed-ea0b-4b2e-908d-ee2e20f1ea0a_zpsuxfdcjgf.jpg

1/3 lb. Angus Bacon Cheeseburger

5cc2f78f-9de9-4145-b9fc-345f5a4068fb_zpsn0llq6wk.jpg

Bacon Deluxe Chicken Sandwich

DH's bacon sandwich was pretty ordinary. He didn't put any fixings at all in it ..which was just how he liked it. He ate it all without complaint. I think I had expected something a little different with my sandwich. I expected somewhere along the lines of how Wendy's chicken sandwich w/bacon is..or even McDs. I did not expect a seasoned chicken breast. It wasn't bad even if it was a bit over seasoned..and I ate it but..it wasn't quite what I wanted. :confused3

I can't believe TT ran out of hamburgers, crazy. I'm with ya on the chicken sandwich. Disney does a good fried one, but none of the "grilled" ones are too tasty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter