A First timers DisneyMoon Dining Report - Updated La Cantina de San Angel 8/6

RyuKokoro

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone and welcome to my first dining report! :wave:
This was both mine and DH's first time to Disney World and it was our honeymoon so we were super excited. :Pinkbounc

eddd993f-aab2-4655-8661-fe6ecbea361f_zpso2iaaxyd.jpg

DH doesn't do online forum pics so you'll just get me ^.^. This is a perfect pic of me for the report as he commonly referred to me as the black vortex/hole.

Below is a list of all the places that we ate at and I will update with links as I write more of the report.

May 9, 2015
'Ohana part1 part2

May 10, 2015
Starring Rolls
Rosie's All American
50's Prime Time Cafe

May 15, 2015
La Cantina de San Angel
Kona Cafe

May 16, 2015
Whispering Canyon Cafe

I have been reading dining reviews for almost a year now and it feels fantastic to have actually been there and writing a review of my own. I hope that you find my review as helpful as I've found many others. DH and I are not awfully picky in terms of service and if the food is decent we'd probably eat it without complaint. DH is not a seafood person at all. Actually the best way to describe him is a meat and potatoes (mashed or fried) kind of guy. I'm very open to a bit more. I love sea food and even though steak isn't my thing I can enjoy a good cut of meat when placed in front of me.

Last edited:
Congratulations! :woohoo:
Can't wait for your reviews! I'm drooling already. :hyper:

We stayed at dun dun dun

7323f24b-f606-4509-b4ca-01c2357251b4_zpsdwmq8xcw.jpg

Coronado Springs Resort.

We had a Preferred Room which got us close to both El Centro and the restaurants and Bus Stop #2. We arrived around 3:30/4pm and although we had eaten at the airport (TGIF's), DH still wanted a snack. Thus, we headed to Cafe Rix to pick up something to munch on before heading to Downtown Disney. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures here but we got some pretty standard stuff. DH got a cream filled eclair with chocolate on top as well as a m&m cookie. I got Dolce de Leche gelato. Everything was very good, however, I had a hard time enjoying mine because shortly before we got to the resort I broke into some sort of rash around my mouth. :guilty: I figured it was an allergic reaction and decided to buy some Benadryl when I got an opportunity. This will later come back to bite me in the behind.

So after Downtown Disney we headed to

90dee641-d9f6-4ab6-ba6f-4f9905e84262_zpskgyyslmo.jpg

We were almost an hour early for our reservation so they gave us a beeper and said it might be a 20 minute wait. We were starving so we would take what we could get and low and behold we got called in 10 minutes. The nice lady who showed us to our seat got us leis and brought us that wonderful pineapple bread. It was delicious but I knew that better things were on the way. Our salad came next.

f3772b6f-2ba2-48bc-af2c-30a346d13833_zps5wuq2xcq.jpg

Salad with Passionfruit Dressing

DH doesn't like anything green so this was all me. I found it pretty good and I usually only eat salads when I get it at restaurants when it's already included in a meal. :rolleyes1 Very shortly after our drinks arrived. We had both gotten the pomegranate lemonade (seen in picture above). This was a bit too sweet for us but between drinking this and the water it went down pretty good. We would have preferred some form of juice (orange, pineapple, etc.), as neither of us really drink soda, but it wasn't included with the meal.

Our potstickers, chicken wings, noodles, and veggies all showed up at the same time. :woohoo:

c6fc90ec-169c-4ead-a1e9-43e9f03ddf63_zpsy82sasan.jpg

Coriander Chicken Wings and PotStickers

1f079452-c4fb-4a27-a9ac-931bbd333ea4_zpsyzvyv2kc.jpg

Stir-Fried Vegetables and Noodles tossed in Teriyaki Sauce

5c226cec-10e6-4ba7-900d-6f22058308c8_zpsh9gtnsgr.jpg

Potstickers

Everything was really good. I give both the wings and potstickers 9/10. The noodles also get a 9..while I never really touched the veggies. :lmao:Like I mentioned earlier, DH doesn't do green so he didn't eat any veggies either and the pot stickers have veggies in them so he stayed away from those as well. I thought he would love the chicken wings but I realized that he wasn't a fan of coriander (tasted too much like cinnamon which he hates) so he didn't eat those either. He did really like the noodles, though, and ate most of them. During this point, I began to fear that he wouldn't enjoy the meal. And then the chicken came.

..to be continued. Unfortunately, I'm having some problems with my photo bucket but I'll try to update as soon as I can.​

Last edited:
And the chicken came. And it was FANTASTIC. I didn't even use the dipping sauces. We were each given two pieces and I gave DH one of mine since I ate pretty much everything else that was on the table.

a0147994-e997-4432-8888-c57891236875_zpsumwkcpye.jpg

Chicken wing on my plate

The steak came shortly after and DH really loaded up on it getting both mine and his share. We had a family sitting across from us and DH noticed that the child had gotten french fries. I explained that the fries were on the kid's menu for 'Ohana and as soon as our waiter came over he put in an order for some fries.

bacf971a-15f3-40cb-9451-127c22d87d87_zpsxugypu8i.jpg

French Fries

c0af640c-5588-4dee-a401-30b9c4894857_zpsdhj6lrrh.jpg

Steak on DH's plate

He declared that the steak was absolutely amazing and when we were leaving he was firm that it was the best he had this trip. And he didn't use dipping sauce. Unfortunately, my steak wasn't as fantastic. It wasn't cooked as well as I would have liked and was a bit rare. It was fine, though, because if I did like the steak I probably wouldn't have had room for the awesomeness coming up next.

b0886942-f4f5-4fe1-855e-9320bb7fb422_zpssphunesy.jpg

I think I got either 7 or 8 pieces of shrimp. It was glorious. And then they brought more chicken for us and more steak for DH. Honestly, I have no idea how many pieces he ate but he was very full and very happy by the end of the meal. Our waiter and all the food runners were very polite and efficient. We were never waiting very long for anything. I was quite full by the time dessert had come around and DH doesn't eat bread pudding so I asked the waiter for a smaller piece of pudding.

fbbc41c6-44bd-4a19-b69f-90601a6788a0_zps04qrou8d.jpg

Banana Bread Pudding w/Caramel Sauce & Vanilla Ice Cream of Awesomeness

And dessert when I was finished with it.

a950e403-e337-42b3-94f8-aa9d75fff25f_zpshqjyxi8n.jpg

I am happy to say this was one of the best meals of the trip and DH's favorite. Whenever we go back to Disney World, 'Ohana will be our day 1 restaurant. :thumbsup2

So glad to see your review of Ohana. My daughters and I are trying it for the first time on our upcoming trip in September. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more.

Awesome Ohana review. Happy honeymoon! I can't wait to read more.

We loved Ohana. I also have a picky fiance. Doesn't really do veggies but he inhaled the potstickers so fast I don't think he even noticed the vegetables, haha. I agree that the noodles, potstickers, and wings are a solid 9/10 - sooooo good. That was really nice that they brought him out some fries! They are so great there. We also loved the chicken - I was really happy to see that they brought it back. I agree that the steak is a bit undercooked for my liking. We also did Ohana the first day of our trip and it was by far our best and favorite meal -- What a great first meal for you guys!!

Congratulations on your marriage - can't wait to read more!!

Thank you!

So glad to see your review of Ohana. My daughters and I are trying it for the first time on our upcoming trip in September. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more.

I hope that your experience is as good as mine! Have fun!

Awesome Ohana review. Happy honeymoon! I can't wait to read more.

We loved Ohana. I also have a picky fiance. Doesn't really do veggies but he inhaled the potstickers so fast I don't think he even noticed the vegetables, haha. I agree that the noodles, potstickers, and wings are a solid 9/10 - sooooo good. That was really nice that they brought him out some fries! They are so great there. We also loved the chicken - I was really happy to see that they brought it back. I agree that the steak is a bit undercooked for my liking. We also did Ohana the first day of our trip and it was by far our best and favorite meal -- What a great first meal for you guys!!

Thank you. I'm very happy that they brought back the chicken. I had read that they had stopped it for a time, but to me it was the best thing on the menu..not that everything else wasn't good. I had hoped that DH would just bite into the potsticker and just go with it cause it tastes awesome but he was there inspecting my half eaten one and was like -nope-.

Starring Rolls

We were in Hollywood Studios for our first full day at Disney. It's really something else getting off of the bus and walking into a park for the first time. I just kept taking pictures of everything. We hadn't eaten breakfast at our resort so I looked for Starring Rolls on the map and headed off in it's general direction. I recognized the little from photos that others had taken of the exterior. *Thank you* Inside was a lot smaller than I expected it to be and we quickly got picked up something to eat quickly for breakfast.

I did not get a picture of our plates :guilty: I have realized it is very difficult to get pictures of your food when your hands are filled with stuff and you cannot find a place to sit. We ended up sitting down on one of the benches looking toward the main street. The place was packed and we had to wander a bit to get seating.

I had a croissant and a bottle of water. Apparently, I was still pretty full from the night before. DH also had a croissant as well as a bagel, a chocolate croissant and an orange juice. It was the first time he'd seen a chocolate one (very few places sell them down here) and he's a huge chocolate fan so he jumped at the chance. I warned him it may be a bit too sweet for breakfast, but he waved me off.

7f6b998d-b006-4076-9ac9-9f3fb831aff7_zpsayjznqyl.jpg

I did, however, get a picture of our items BEFORE they were in our plates

Everything was good...actually, the croissants are really good. I've realized that about most of the croissants at Disney. I don't know if they bake them at the store or they get them from one main place but I want them shipped to my door. Of course, a little later after DH finished his chocolate croissant he tend proceeded to steal some of my water ...because the croissant was quite sweet. :badpc: We were eating when the performance with the gentleman and lady with that loud annoying voice (you must know who I'm referring to) started. During this time, some of the people sitting at the tables at Starring Rolls got up to see the show so we rushed over to grab a seat so DH could eat his bagel on a proper table and I could relax under some shade.

I realize that this place tends to get rave reviews from everyone, but I wonder if there were just more options to eat at for breakfast in Hollywood Studios if it would be the same. Don't get me wrong, the food was pretty good...but the place was packed. It was difficult to move around the store; it was like being swept up into the line and you can't go anywhere else and then it doesn't have much seating outside. Would I return if I wanted a snack or a quick fix? Sure, most definitely. But I will not rely on it as a breakfast spot when I come to HS.​

I feel you on Starring Rolls! It is always so crowded there as there really isn't many places to enjoy breakfast there but at least Starbucks now opened.

I'm glad you enjoyed your croissants!

Nice Ohana review! I love the place but hubby doesn't :( guess I need a solo trip to get my shrimp and noodle fix:rotfl2:

Rosie's All American

We used our fast passes and waited in line for some other rides and after Rock n Roller Coaster I declared that I wanted a burger. I don't usually eat burgers but I was on vacation and felt I deserved it after the roller coaster (I HATE roller coasters). Honestly, we didn't plan to go to Rosie's, but as we strolled past all of the stands it was the one with the shortest line that served cheese burgers.

We placed our order and was waiting to get our food when one of the servers saw our shirts. We were both wearing Nightmare Before Christmas shirts (DH's favorite movie ever). Apparently, she liked Jack Skellington too because our shirts got us free cupcakes. :banana:

d86de627-acd2-4af2-ac9c-d50c972f5e3b_zpskwskt0r6.jpg

For lunch, I ordered the 1/3lb Fresh Angus Cheeseburger and DH had the Chicken Breast Nuggets both with french fries. I had another bottle of water...and DH had another orange juice.

f043e364-3f5a-486d-8ae6-104df8b6e3a9_zpsewoeapnl.jpg

Free cupcakes! Vanilla cupcake w/vanilla icing and disney sprinkles

There was nothing overly special about either of the meals. Both the burger and nuggets were ok. Nothing really to complain about. However, the fries were a bit on the salty side and I definitely had to use ketchup to eat them. Overall, we were satisfied with the meal that we paid for and :jumping3:about dessert. The cupcakes weren't amazing out of this world but they were a sweet treat that we both enjoyed. Thank you random Rosie's cast-member. :thumbsup2

I feel you on Starring Rolls! It is always so crowded there as there really isn't many places to enjoy breakfast there but at least Starbucks now opened.

I'm glad you enjoyed your croissants!

...I had not realized that a Starbucks had opened in HS. Perhaps we should have gone there instead. :scratchin

Nice Ohana review! I love the place but hubby doesn't :( guess I need a solo trip to get my shrimp and noodle fix:rotfl2:

Noooooo, how can he not like 'Ohana? I LOVED the shrimp. I also secretly loved all the warm towels they would bring out for you when you eat the wings and have to peel out the shrimp. I'm a weirdo. Hide away one evening and rush off to dinner when he's not looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter