A few tips from our trip

Belleoftheboard

Earning My Ears
I spent a lot of time researching the Dis boards before we went on our whilrlwind 3 day trip, so maybe someone out there will find these tips I read about and tried useful. In no particular order:

1. After reading a million posts about Crocs I decided to buy a pair of the flip-flops. I am so glad I did! They were awesome--comfortable, light and stayed on really well. I am a very fast/hard walker so that can often lead to blisters. I wore the crocs on days 1 and 2 and gave myself a break on day 3 since I was starting to develop a few small blisters (which I think would have happened no matter what shoe I had on). I took the advice of somone else and made sure to wear them a few days before the trip to break in the part that goes in between the toes. I'm glad I did, because it was slightly uncomfortable at first.

2. On the packing boards everyone was talking about packing their clothes in baggies so I tried it. Here is what I loved about it: while searching the suitcase for something, I never ended up with a pile of unfolded, messed up clothes (because, frankly, I never unpack on a trip--I just live out of the suitcase). I just threw the bags around at will (great for a natural slob like me) and everything still stayed organized and easy to find.

3. I traveled with my DH, mom and 10 month old son. We stayed on property (Pop Century) and even though the transportation was free, at the last minute I got nervous and rented a car. I'm glad I did for 2 reasons: 1) DH and I had ADR's for Jilko's and The California Grill and getting there by bus would have been a nightmare, and the price of cabs would have practically paid for the rental 2) When my son was exhausted and dangerously close to melt-down, we could just zip home. The exception: on the advice of my "How to Do Disney" book, we took the bus instead of the car to the MK and it worked perfectly.

4. As DISers I know you all know this, but I can't stress it enough: GET THERE BEFORE THE PARK OPENS or as close to it as you can. It made all the difference for us in what and how much we got to see, since we were traveling with a 10 month old who had limits for how long he could go without a nap (not the kind of kid who will sleep much in the stroller, unfortunately)

5. To avoid lunch crowds, we got a box of doughnuts (covered on our dining plan as 1 snack) to eat for breakfast in our room. I also brought juice packs from home (I'd ice them first thing in the morning and in 15 minutes they'd be nice and cold). This saved time, plus we'd be hungry for lunch by 11am ish so we never encountered terrible lines.

6. If you have kids and want character pictures, consider doing it at Epcot. We found this by accident--it was MOBBED the day we were there and humid and 95 degrees to boot. Misery. We passed by a room (air conditioned!) where they had Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Chip & Dale, Goofy, and Pluto all in one place, so we quickly decided getting pictures done in air conditioning was a good idea. In a very short period of time we got our son's picture with all of them. Very easy and comfortable.

7. Someone suggested getting a stack of singles before leaving and putting it aside to use as tips. I don't know why I never thought of this before! Our trip was short and we had the dining plan, so I only brought $20 worth, but I used it to get a $2 cart at the airport (ripoff!!), to tip the skycap ($2 per bag), to tip the bus driver from the airport, etc. etc. It was nice knowing I always had change.

8. I put my son's cereals in little one baggie servings (which then were put in a larger ziploc) so I only had to carry one small baggie with me at a time.

9. I know this is a little over the top, but before we left I made up a brochure (using Microsoft publisher). In it I put all the 'touring plans' for the parks we were going to visit, our ADR numbers and times, directions to anywhere we were going to drive, and other information. This way, I could leave all books at home and just pack one light weight brochure in my pocket. Plus, it was fun to put together.

10. For parents doing the child swap: if you use it on Space Mountain, it's kind of a drag. The first parent goes on the ride, then the other parent gets to go, but they have to wait on the fastpass line--it's not like they get to 'cut' to the front or anything, so I don't see what you gain. This was the only ride we did the 'swap' on, but my DH and I agreed that we wouldn't have bothered if we had known we'd both have to wait in line 20 minutes each, by ourselves. Half the fun is sharing the anticipation of the ride with the person you're with.

Anyway, those are just a few tips I thought came in handy. Have a great trip and have fun!

How did the parent swap work on the other rides? My friend and I are going in August and both love the bigger rides, but she has a 9mo ols (or will be then) and mine is 3. My son will be able to go on a couple of the bigger rides (he's 41" without shoes) but there are others we will want to go on and will need to swap the boys out. TIA!

These are some good tips.

I am wearing my Crocs Athens as I type. I plan on wearing them 98% of the time and have my sneakers and socks packed for just in case.

We will be there in 3 days :banana: and it's just me and the hubby :cool1: so I look for this to be a relaxing vacation.

Hi - thanks for these tips!
I'm still skeptical about the Crocs! I don't know why - with so many believers on here.
Also, where can I find the "packing board" you mentioned? Where is it on the site?
Thanks!

smep013 said:
Hi - thanks for these tips!
I'm still skeptical about the Crocs! I don't know why - with so many believers on here.
Also, where can I find the "packing board" you mentioned? Where is it on the site?
Thanks!
I was a Croc skeptic too, the only thing that botherss me about the pair I received for mothers day is that sometimes they get a bit sweaty, however its worth the trade to NOT have my feet hurt all the time. It has eliminated my heel and arch pain.. I am truly surprised. When they first came out I saw them and said "Who would be dumb enough to wear those ugly shoes and be silly enough to pay $30 dollars for them to boot? Jokes on me cause I am the .............Happy fool!

I'm sorry, I don't know about the other rides. We only did the swap on Space Mountain since my mom was with us the rest of the time (lucky us!)

Smep013--You know, I think I saw the packing tips on the 'tips' board....there were a few very long threads that delt with packing. If I ever find them again I'll post the link.

All the child swap rides we went on worked the same way-the waiting party got a special "fastpass" (good for up to 4 people!) and you returned through the fastpass lane. It worked great for us, I don't think we ever waited more than just a few minutes.

We did the child swap at Splash Mountain and it took a long time-at least 20 minutes for each of us to ride. My DS7 loved it because he rode twice but it chewed up a lot of time and we vowed never to do it again. We pretty much tried to talk our DS3 into doing the rides from then on. I also agree with taking a stack of $1's, definitely do the main character pictures at Epcot, pack with lots of baggies and bring extra for whenever you want dessert to go (cookies) or have a leftover pretzel (garbage bags also came in handy to take wet ponchos back to the room or to throw the backpack in went it rained), and get to the parks early!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter