• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few specific tipping questions

realityland

Mouseketeer
I have a few additional questions regarding tipping ...

1) On the DCL website, it lists Palo as gratuity included - but makes no mention of Remy. Is a gratuity also included in the up-charge for Remy? (I know that some people still choose to tip on top of the included gratuity)

2) Dining Manager is listed "at your discretion." Thoughts? Experience?

3) What is customary to tip room service?

4) Is there any tip necessary when you retrieve your bags after the cruise?

i have a few additional questions regarding tipping ...

1) on the dcl website, it lists palo as gratuity included - but makes no mention of remy. Is a gratuity also included in the up-charge for remy? (i know that some people still choose to tip on top of the included gratuity)

2) dining manager is listed "at your discretion." thoughts? Experience?
there is no dining manager on dcl.
3) what is customary to tip room service?
we tip $2 for the first plate, $1 a plate after that.
4) is there any tip necessary when you retrieve your bags after the cruise? no. If you use a porter it is customary to tip them. If you get your own bags and carry them out there is no one to tip.

hth :)

I have no idea what is going on, but I used capital letters. It is showing all lower case in what I typed and the quote...I even tried to edit it and no change...

Thanks for the info!

I don't know if you put a response in for question 1 or not - it just shows a blank

The DCL website lists a Dining Manager ... guess they need to change that
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

I didn't answer #1 because I'm really not sure about Remy as I have not been on the Dream/Fantasy. But an extra tip is customary. At least in Palo it is known that the amount the servers get from the up-charge is very small. I don't think anyone knows the actual amount.

There may be a dining manager but that is not someone you will ever encounter never mind need to tip. I believe it is a tipped position on other lines.

Thanks @sissy for the extra clarification.

I keep seeing $20-$50/couple as a recurring range suggestion for a Remy gratuity.

In regard to the Dining Manager, I was curious b/c we will have someone in our group with food allergies. But now that I think about it, the Dining Manager could possibly be someone more involved with hosting a special meal, say for a wedding - in which case a gratuity may be in order.

There is a dining manager, or at least someone using that title, you just rarely see them. We saw the DM on the Wonder at the embarkation day dining changes in Wavebands once, that was about it.
I don't know about tipping them though, not sure when you would ever see them to do it.

There certainly IS a dining manager on DCL. There is a man above the head servers in each of the dining rooms. There is also a Palo manager and a Remy manager. There is another individual (officer level, wears officer clothing) who is the head of dining (over all the dining rooms). And above him is the Food and Beverage Manager who is responsible for ALL food and beverage service all over the ship--all dining rooms, Palo, Remy, Bars, etc.

We've never tipped the dining manager. You will sometimes see him in the MDRs assisting head servers or dealing with a particular problem. He is sort of the "head" head server.

We've never tipped the dining manager. You will sometimes see him in the MDRs assisting head servers or dealing with a particular problem. He is sort of the "head" head server.

There was a couple in our section on one of our Dream cruises that the husband was an absolute nightmare about his food. Went through the HS, Chef and finally had to get the DM. We did not see that couple at dinner after the first night. Not sure if they were moved or what other accommodations may have been made.

What about tipping the Nursery staff. My beautiful baby may spend some time in the nursery and if anyone deserves a tip it certainly is the person changing his diapers :p but what might be an ideal amount. Or is the $6/hr fee for them?

As far as we have been told the fee is not for them. Also cash for them tends to go to a community pot for parties and such. We have also heard that gifts are used as door prizes at cast parties. When we have had exceptional staff we just give cash. As tipping is a hot topic and people have discussed giving items other than cash before just keep in mind that the crew quarters have limited space.

Yes DCL has a dining manager. As far as I know you do not tip them.

We were recently on the dream and we saw our head waiter, waiter and his assistant as well as an issue we dealt with we regarding our table placement.

The head waiter dealt with my husbands allergies, the waiter took our order and brought the food. The assistant did everything else including our beverages and magic tricks to amuse our daughter.

We had one of the dining room managers handle a problem for us in regards to food allergies that we had encountered in one of the other dining rooms the night prior. He just happened to stop by our table the following morning and ask about our cruise. I shared our story and he took care of it by contacting the dining room manager for our seating rotation. So there are individuals going by the title of dining room manager (that's how he introduced himself).

We had one of the dining room managers handle a problem for us in regards to food allergies that we had encountered in one of the other dining rooms the night prior. He just happened to stop by our table the following morning and ask about our cruise. I shared our story and he took care of it by contacting the dining room manager for our seating rotation. So there are individuals going by the title of dining room manager (that's how he introduced himself).

That IS the title...and there is one on each rotation.

Tipping child care workers--they must turn over any cash tips to their manager. The tips are used for a department party. They are not considered a "tipped" position (meaning that they do get a real salary), and are not permitted to keep any cash they are given. They can accept gift cards, etc IF the card has their name on it. Otherwise, it must be turned over and is used at the party as a door prize.

One more question to add here,
What about the spa services? this is what is listed on DCL website
( Senses Spa & Salon Your Discretion ) but what is fair for a Couples Choice Message? the Wifey and I are doing this on both of our B2B's in January.
Thank You

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter