A few questions...

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
Our DD12 fractured her heel in December and has had severe nerve pain since. She has been on crutches since then. We're hoping that she may be able to walk at least somewhat by our April trip but are renting her a wheelchair, recognizing that she won't be able to get around on crutches the whole time. I read the stickies at the top of this board along with many of the other threads but have a few questions:

Buses from the resort: should we fold the wheelchair and let her board on crutches? If so we just wait in the regular line, correct? Or does the wheelchair have to go in a certain spot necessitating alternate boarding?

Attractions: should we park the wheelchair and proceed to have her on crutches through the regular line? Do we take the wheelchair with us through the line in case the wait is long? Either way will there be a way to hand off the chair or crutches while on the ride and retrieve them when she needs to disembark? And if there is an alternative entrance do we use that regardless of whether she is in the chair or on the crutches or only if she's using the wheelchair?

And because her needs are strictly mobility-related, we do not need a DAS card, correct?

Many thanks.

For the buses, its up to you. I would keep her in the seat and have it latched down so she has a guaranteed place to sit for the ride. You can take the chair in for almost all the attractions (I believe the peoplemover does not allow wheelchairs). There is no reason to not take the chair. Most lines are streamlined so chairs can go right up to the ride vehicle. Those that aren't will tell you where to go. No Das needed

I would suggest keeping her in the chair until the bus shows up and then enter through the HA entrance. This way someone does not have to lift it up into the bus. I know that my sister's wheelchair can get heavy and awkward. She can then move to a regular seat and you can fold the chair and hold it. You can have her latched down, but for the most part the WC/EVCs go on first so she likely would be able to sit.

On almost any attraction she will be able to stay in the chair until you reach the boarding platform. Most of the attractions have wide enough queues for mobility aids. I would suggest checking out this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/ and specifically posts 18-21. There is also a mobility guide you can pick up from Guest Services at the parks that helps you know if you need to go a different way. You can also ask the CM at the attraction entrance to verify. This helped me when taking my sister and you mobility aids.

I agree with tobykayes advice. The wheelchair needs to go through the back door of the bus. Every bus queue has a designated spot for chairs and ECVs. Just tell the driver, when he opens the door, that she can transfer. One on board, she will sit in a regular seat and you can fold the wheelchair and hold it. No worries about a place for her to sit. They wouldn't board her if she couldn't have a seat.

At almost all of the attractions, you can use the regular queue. At some of these you may reach a spot that has stairs or another obstacle. You will be directed to the alternate route. Keep your eyes peeled for the handicap/wheelchair signs. At the boarding area a CM will take the empty chair and the crutches and place them so they are close by when you get off the ride.

In the rides where the main queue is inaccessible, you will be directed to the alternate entrance. She can use this whether she is using the chair or crutches.

Some great advice here - only would add this:

Be sure to take along a pair of bike gloves (or similar) for whoever is going to propel the chair. It will help prevent blisters, believe me! Even the best athletes are often surprised at the amount of strength it takes to move a wheelchair around all day - most rental chairs are heavy to begin with, and you don't realize how many hills, ramps and inclines there are at WDW until you are on wheels!

If you take along a bungee cord (just pop it into your suitcase) you can bungee her crutches to the back of the chair. There are tons of great ways to carry crutches on a chair (or a cane); a simple Google search can give you all kinds of ideas! :) The only other bit of advice I have to try and resist the urge to load down the chair with purses, bags, etc; it just makes it heavier.

I hope your daughter continues to heal - completely - and that your entire family has a lovely, Magical trip! :)

as pp have said I would take chair in line. for most of your questions, the CM at load area will let you know the load process for that ride and what you do with the chair. the CMs deal with this many many times each day. you will not be the only ones with a wheelchair that day

The CM's willmake sure the wheelchair is at the unload area when you get off the ride. She can take her crutches on most rides except coasters.

Funny story: When boarding Space Mountain with crutches, I was trying to be super-polite to the boarding CM, and instead of saying, "Where do I leave my crutches?" or "Who do I give my crutches to?" I said, "Is there a place to leave my crutches?" He deadpanned, "No, just take them on the sled with you. They'll fly out and land at the bottom, and you can grab them when you get there." Then he laughed and said he was just kidding; he took them for me and they were waiting for me at the end.

The CM's willmake sure the wheelchair is at the unload area when you get off the ride. She can take her crutches on most rides except coasters.

Funny story: When boarding Space Mountain with crutches, I was trying to be super-polite to the boarding CM, and instead of saying, "Where do I leave my crutches?" or "Who do I give my crutches to?" I said, "Is there a place to leave my crutches?" He deadpanned, "No, just take them on the sled with you. They'll fly out and land at the bottom, and you can grab them when you get there." Then he laughed and said he was just kidding; he took them for me and they were waiting for me at the end.

You just made my night! I love it when CMs do stuff like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter