A few questions

qzar33

Mouseketeer
1) Why is UY important? I guess I don't really see any big deal about them, but some people seem to really prefer one over another.

2) What kind of availability is there at 7 months out if you are calling right when the lines open up? What about at 6 months out? Mostly for studios, but really for all different kinds of units. Just want to know what my options are for non-home resort booking.

3) Any one piece of wisdom you want to share with a prospective buyer?

Thanks.

It depends. We drive. I called on our way and was able to get our reservation for that nite also ad then when we were there I added one more night. This was July at AKV. Needless to say I never want to leave

I've never had a problem getting a reservation 7 months out, even for Xmas. Realize that you may have to stay at OKW or SSR, but you should be ok for getting a room.

The resort where you buy your points will have a certain use year available. If there are multiple months available, they usually ask you when you want your use year to be.

I've never had a problem getting a reservation 7 months out, even for Xmas. Realize that you may have to stay at OKW or SSR, but you should be ok for getting a room.

Ya, my question is what resorts are typically available at 7 months? I knew I could get a reservation, just not sure what. I figured SSR would be, OKW appeals to me as well so good to see that on the list. What about AKL studios? I assume BWV studios are out of the question (obviously they are for F&W)?

The resort where you buy your points will have a certain use year available. If there are multiple months available, they usually ask you when you want your use year to be.

Or you could purchase resale and look for a specific UY/resort.

Ya, my question is what resorts are typically available at 7 months? I knew I could get a reservation, just not sure what. I figured SSR would be, OKW appeals to me as well so good to see that on the list. What about AKL studios? I assume BWV studios are out of the question (obviously they are for F&W)?

Standard View & Savanna View Studios at AKV (Jambo House or Kidani Village) are not usually too difficult at 7 months or less.

Value Studios and Concierge Level Studios which are only in Jambo House at AKV can be very difficult at 7 months.

Or you could purchase resale and look for a specific UY/resort.

I've already decided on resale if I buy, so the question is how important home resort is. I will probably try to find a small BWV contract for F&W festival and then another with cheaper points for other stays.

Standard View & Savanna View Studios at AKV (Jambo House or Kidani Village) are not usually too difficult at 7 months or less.

Value Studios and Concierge Level Studios which are only in Jambo House at AKV can be very difficult at 7 months.

Thanks, I knew Value and Concierge were out of the question, but wasn't sure about standard/savannah.

I've already decided on resale if I buy, so the question is how important home resort is. I will probably try to find a small BWV contract for F&W festival and then another with cheaper points for other stays.

I've been able to get a BWV Pool/Garden View Studio at 7 months for F&W. In the years that I couldn't get it at 7 months, I got it using the wait list.

I was able to get a BWV Pool/Garden View Studio at 2.5 months for early Oct this year by checking the new DVC on-line reservation system every day.

As you will note when reading that thread, use year is not relevant to when you can go (anytime of year) or when you can call to reserve (allways 11 months out at home resort and 7 at others). Its importance has to do with being able to bank points if you have to cancel and to assure you can do that most suggest that you get a use year that begins shortly before time you usually go annually.

As to availability at 7 months it depends on time of year, resort and type of room/view. AKV concierge and value, BLT standard view, and BWV standard and boardwalk view are often difficult, as are treehouses at SSR. BCV and VWL as smaller resorts can also have some periods where they are more difficult than other near park resorts to get rooms. All of Oct, first half of Nov, Thanksgiving time, first two weeks of December, Christmas week and a few days before and after, 5 nights (Thurs through Monday) for Marathon weekend in January, Easter weeks, and time around July 4 can be difficult for any near park resorts (BCV, BWV, BLT, and VWL) and the first week of December, Christmas week, and the second of December (the number 1, 2 and 3 in that order highest DVC demand weeks of the year) are usually impossible for any near park resort and even AKV and OKW can be present some difficulty. SSR is always wide open at 7 months out except for treehouses. In fact, SSR is usually wide open well beyond the 7 month window. Studios fill before 2BRs which fill before 1BRs..

Also be aware that "calling right when the lines open up" may sometimes not be fast enough because the 7 month window opens on-line at 8 a.m. an hour before the phone lines open and some things can actually fill up between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. before anybody can make that first phone call. In fact, I have seen things like BWV standard, AKV value when they happen once in a while to be open at 7 months out disappear within minutes after 8 a.m. So if you are not exact in doing an on-line reservation as soon as the clock strikes 8 eastern you can be out in the cold.

Keep in mind 2 contracts will mean 2 closing costs. Also, look at the thread on higher point costs for smaller contracts. You may be better off buying more points at BWV to meet all your needs. Larger contracts typically sell for less per point than smaller contracts. Just have to run the numbers and see what works best for you.

Laura

I've been able to get a BWV Pool/Garden View Studio at 7 months for F&W. In the years that I couldn't get it at 7 months, I got it using the wait list.

I was able to get a BWV Pool/Garden View Studio at 2.5 months for early Oct this year by checking the new DVC on-line reservation system every day.

Pool/Garden View is a Preferred View right? So for F&W festival, that's a difference of 5 pts (10 vs 15) on a weeknight and 2 pts (14 vs 16) on a weekend, right? I mean you do get the nicer view, but I'm not usually one to care about that, but it is a good alternative to consider instead of buying BWV pts. Will have to price it out more but nice to know it is a potential option.

Keep in mind 2 contracts will mean 2 closing costs. Also, look at the thread on higher point costs for smaller contracts. You may be better off buying more points at BWV to meet all your needs. Larger contracts typically sell for less per point than smaller contracts. Just have to run the numbers and see what works best for you.

Laura

Right, I'm in the information gathering and start to make spreadsheets stage.

As you will note when reading that thread, use year is not relevant to when you can go (anytime of year) or when you can call to reserve (allways 11 months out at home resort and 7 at others). Its importance has to do with being able to bank points if you have to cancel and to assure you can do that most suggest that you get a use year that begins shortly before time you usually go annually.

As to availability at 7 months it depends on time of year, resort and type of room/view. AKV concierge and value, BLT standard view, and BWV standard and boardwalk view are often difficult, as are treehouses at SSR. BCV and VWL as smaller resorts can also have some periods where they are more difficult than other near park resorts to get rooms. All of Oct, first half of Nov, Thanksgiving time, first two weeks of December, Christmas week and a few days before and after, 5 nights (Thurs through Monday) for Marathon weekend in January, Easter weeks, and time around July 4 can be difficult for any near park resorts (BCV, BWV, BLT, and VWL) and the first week of December, Christmas week, and the second of December (the number 1, 2 and 3 in that order highest DVC demand weeks of the year) are usually impossible for any near park resort and even AKV and OKW can be present some difficulty. SSR is always wide open at 7 months out except for treehouses. In fact, SSR is usually wide open well beyond the 7 month window. Studios fill before 2BRs which fill before 1BRs..

Also be aware that "calling right when the lines open up" may sometimes not be fast enough because the 7 month window opens on-line at 8 a.m. an hour before the phone lines open and some things can actually fill up between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. before anybody can make that first phone call. In fact, I have seen things like BWV standard, AKV value when they happen once in a while to be open at 7 months out disappear within minutes after 8 a.m. So if you are not exact in doing an on-line reservation as soon as the clock strikes 8 eastern you can be out in the cold.

Great post and super helpful. I do think we prefer fall which does seem to be more difficult than other times due to Christmas decorations and F&W. No kids so we aren't crazy enough to go during the obvious school breaks but it seems like at times that might not be enough. Still, as long as I can try a new resort once every few years I'm pretty good. The only thing that is a kind of priority is BWV for F&W for at least part of it. My gut feeling is the cost savings would indicate doing a smaller BWV contract and a larger contract at a cheaper resort. I think renting points for a stay at SSR is definitely in order to make sure we like it, but we aren't too picky in general.

I suspect this last one is a gap in systems with the waitlist - if they close the gap, this will happen less often (it still may happen, but if they change the way the system handles waitlists, a lot of these sort of surprising reservations will dry up - to me its surprising that 2.5 months out there is no one on the waitlist for a room at the Boardwalk during F&W). Of course, they may never change how the system checks for waitlist requests. On the other hand, it should simultaneously make the waitlist work more often for people who get on it early.

I couldn't get BWV at 7 months for F&W so it's probably best to buy there. I have gotten BWV by wait listing for Xmas before, but not the view I wanted. I tend to travel during high peak times, so I book 11 months out. The times that I have booked 7 months out, I've wound up with OKW & SSR. They're ok, but I like the other resorts better. I was kind of surprised that I got AKL at 7 months for F&W. MS says its getting easier to get AKL because everyone wants BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter