A few questions

NoraG

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone. I'm a new CM, but haven't done my first OJT day yet, so I can't join the CM board, but I have a few questions.

I have my WDW ID. Does this serve as my main entrance pass or am I supposed to get something else? I already received my 2011 holiday booklet, but I keep reading that the passes come in the mail also. What are the blackout dates for the main entrance passes?

Is it true that I need to register for the HUB on a Disney computer? Everytime I try from home, I get booted off. I'd like to look some stuff up, but I can't get on.

If I want to book dining and use my CM discount, do I have to use a special CM reservation system? Does the regular 20% off dining discount have blackout dates?

Any advice for a first timer? I'll be working attractions in Epcot. Any advice would be appreciated. You know, things you wish someone had told you...

Your ID is not your main Entrance pass. YOU can get into the parks with your ID, but not your friends and family. That'll come in about 2-6 weeks. You can find the blackout dates on the Hub. Normally it's only for a couple of months at a time.

There are certain things that you can only do from a Disney Computer on the Hub and I believe registering is one of them, but since you work at EPCOT, there's a computer lab in the Cast Services building. I used it once or twice even though I didn't work there.

You don't NEED to make a reservation to use your discount. Just tell your waiter/waitress that you're a CM and ask if they offer discounts. Most FSFB restaurants do, but not all. And you can rarely find a QSFB that does (I think Flame Tree does). The only thing that reserving things on the hub does, is that it tells you if there is a discount and how much the discount is. I don't THINK there are any blackout dates for regular dining... I know there are some restrictions for the holiday coupon discounts, but it's been almost a year since I've been there.

Advice:
1) When you eat/shop around town make sure you ask if they offer CM discounts. They offer them at random places, and it never hurts to ask. You should also pick up a cast discount booklet.
2) Be familiar with what's going on. Visit parks on your day off. Not only your park but at other parks as well. That way, you can be more helpful to guests if they ask you about other attractions similar to yours, or it can help get a conversation started. Like if you see a guest with a Beauty and the Beast item, it's so easy to say "Oh, you like Beauty and the Beast? Have you seen the musical at Hollywood Studios?"
3) The Telecast is your best friend. Keep one on you at all times.
4) Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth. Walt Disney World is the Most Magical. It bugs me when I hear CMs call it the wrong thing.
5) Sometimes guests can be rude. Most of the time they're amazing. Don't let the handful of rude guests get you down, even if it seems like the rude ones banded together and decided to only go to your attraction to keep the nice ones away.
6) Everyday is magical, but some days it's just a little harder to find. If you're finding yourself feeling a little less-than-magical, create magic for someone else. That will give you a high like no other. Also, on those less-than-magical days, don't close yourself off to having magic created for you. I don't know how long you'll be there or how far away from home you are, but if and when you're working on a holiday, and you're missing your family and everything is really busy, don't let that small "Thank you for working today" slip by you.

I already received my 2011 holiday booklet, but I keep reading that the passes come in the mail also.

Your holiday booklet should have have included a Holiday Card as well, this will have one day of entrance for up to three Guests. It expires in Feb, so you can use it now before your MEP (Main Entrance Pass) comes in the mail.

Is it true that I need to register for the HUB on a Disney computer? Everytime I try from home, I get booted off. I'd like to look some stuff up, but I can't get on.

Yes you have to be on property to set it up. It's strange that you've had such a gap between Traditions and your first day of training.

If I want to book dining and use my CM discount, do I have to use a special CM reservation system? Does the regular 20% off dining discount have blackout dates?

Dining discounts can get complicated. For example, most Epcot restaurants only allow discounts before 6 or after 8:30PM. Resorts have that same rule on the weekends. Some restaurants have NO discounts (CRT), and others offer 40 for breakfast/lunch.

There is a page in the Hub that provides all of that info. But in the meantime, here is the link my Disney Dining restaurant tracking spreadsheet. It lists all current CM discounts. You can download it and use it for your own tracking as well. The Summary Tab is all formulas, so do not touch that tab.

Welcome to the Family!

what is a telecast?

Telecasts are printed weekly and provided to CMs. They are similar to the Guests' Times Guide, but will have a lot more information, including info for other parks. It's a great tool to carry around for some of those off the wall Guest questions.

Thanks for the help everyone.

That spreadsheet is fantastic. I cannot thank you enough.

Yes, it was a very large gap between Traditions and my first day of training. Traditions was on 12/17 and Epcot Discovery Day on 12/20, but my COT said that they do not train so close to the holidays, so 1/2 is my first OJT day. However, my first schedule had me at TT as a CR and then I was moved to Mission Space (and that schedule lists my status as FT), so I'm guessing someone is transferring, which led to the open FT position. I may also be waiting on that person to change roles/locations.

It occurred to me after I left on Discovery Day that I should have registered from the HUB while I was there, but I'm about 35 miles away, so I don't want to drive over there just to do that. I think I'll try to be patient and do it my first week at work.

I did get my holiday card. It's blacked out for the holidays and I wasn't planning on taking anyone just yet, but now I understand that my ID gets me in and the main entrance pass gets others in.

I'm excited to get started. I'm really hoping to move up as it would be good to make more money in the future. But from what I've heard Disney is a great company to work for and I can't wait to make guests happy!

If anyone had additional advice, please keep it coming. As an Orlando native I've been to the parks many times as a guest, but this will be a whole new ballgame.

Just out of curiosity...how long did it take to hear back from Disney once you submitted your application? I applied for Part Time Merchandise on December 9 and my application still says "Pending Review". Just wondering how long it took for you to hear back...thanks!

I received an invitation to complete the web interview the same day I completed the application. However, don't let that discourage you. I applied to the same position about a year and half ago and nothing happened. Here's what I think made the difference:

1) this time I had completely open availability and
2) I was currently employed at the time I completed my application and looking to change employers, so no recent gaps in work history
3) I had retail experience

It happened so quickly I think they apps are screened by a computer system and I happened to make an early cut. They keep your application active for 6months so I imagine a person will start screening them.

At my traditions class, there were plenty of people with part-time jobs, so less than full availability, but I still think that sped up the process for me as did having retail experience. These are just guesses, but I know they suspended offering Traditions classes until after the holidays, so they may be waiting to complete interviews in January. Don't be discouraged and good luck! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Just thought of another question:

When you visit the parks as a guest do you just flash your ID at the auto plaza to get free parking or do you have to pay for parking?

Just want to be prepared and budget for parking when visiting if necessary.

I have a friend that would like to work for Disney also, but she does not have a car. Has anyone ever tried to find a place to live close enough to walk or ride a bike? I think she's pretty stuck without a car, but thought I'd solicite opinions anyway. I live about 35 miles away, so I don't really know what's available closer. Eventually I'll move, but I'm not quite ready to pack up just yet.

Correct - just show your ID for free parking.

Buena Vista Properties are within walking distance to the MK, but nothing is close enough to be walking distance to any of the other parks or resorts.

Unfortunately, WDW is not a real bike friendly area. While I see some CMs ride bikes here and there, most of the travel between parks is on major roadways which would not be ideal for bicyclists.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter