• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few questions from a first-time DCL cruiser!

chunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone...I love these boards because they have always been so helpful. My DH and I will be going on the Disney Magic on May 10 for a 5-night Bahamaian cruise. Along on this trip is DH's parents, 2 brothers, and brother's family. We are all first time DCL cruisers. Hopefully someone can help with these questions:

1) We all did online check-in and I was given a boarding time of 12:30-1pm and DH's family (on a different ressie) has a 1-1:30pm boarding. We will all be traveling from the airport together. What time should we schedule our van service to pick us up? Or rather, what time should we get to port to have ample time to leisurely board? Would there be anything to do at the terminal that would be worth getting there an hour earlier to do, like character meets, pictures etc, are those normally really crowded?

2) What time are staterooms usually ready by? I would like to board with my carry-on wheeled luggage (20 inches) but would l have to drag it around with me until the staterooms are open? I can imagine it might be a pain in the restaurants, decks, etc.

3) What is the clearance under the bed (in inches if possible!) for storage? I have several suitcases to choose from and all have different widths. My favorite is 12 inches depth so wondering if this would even remotely fit underneath the beds?

4) Will the stores be open on the ship when we board? Reason is I wanted to get a travel mug/cup as soon as we board so we can get some free sodas. I thought it would be best to get a new one as a souvenir instead of bringing one from home.

5) If I have an 8:30pm Palo reservation the night of Pirates night, would I still be able to make it to the Pirate festivities and fireworks? Or is it usually a long, length-y tasting menu sort of experience?

6) Would my husband be able to get away with some black sneakers at Palo? They aren't very athletic looking, and are more "streamlined." I know there 's a dress code but we're spending a week at the parks after and bringing dress shoes for one night just doesn't seem worth it, but I know he will bring sneakers. How about boat shoes?

6) Finally, what is the best time to schedule a pick up when we disembark? We dock at 7:30am. Would it be better to eat breakfast then leave the ship at around 8:30-9am? Would we be required to take our own luggage? (I am ok with this, and would actually prefer it if it's faster). Everyone's flight is from 12:30pm onwards.

Thank you so much for your help!

We are on the same cruise.
2) What time are staterooms usually ready by? I would like to board with my carry-on wheeled luggage (20 inches) but would l have to drag it around with me until the staterooms are open? I can imagine it might be a pain in the restaurants, decks, etc.
1:30 pm
3) What is the clearance under the bed (in inches if possible!) for storage? I have several suitcases to choose from and all have different widths. My favorite is 12 inches depth so wondering if this would even remotely fit underneath the beds?
I believe the 12 inch case will fit, but you might need to lift the edge of the bed up to get it under there.
4) Will the stores be open on the ship when we board? Reason is I wanted to get a travel mug/cup as soon as we board so we can get some free sodas. I thought it would be best to get a new one as a souvenir instead of bringing one from home.
All stores are closed while the ship is in port. The only exception is Shutters (photos) on the last morning of the cruise.

Here are answers to some of your questions:

Rooms are usually ready around 1:30 PM

My suitcase is more than 12 inches deep and I had no problem fitting it under the bed.

No, the shops are not open while the ship is in port.

5) If I have an 8:30pm Palo reservation the night of Pirates night, would I still be able to make it to the Pirate festivities and fireworks? Or is it usually a long, length-y tasting menu sort of experience?

Palo dinner would typically be about an hour and a half, I'd say. You should be able to get out on deck in time for fireworks.

6) Would my husband be able to get away with some black sneakers at Palo? They aren't very athletic looking, and are more "streamlined." I know there 's a dress code but we're spending a week at the parks after and bringing dress shoes for one night just doesn't seem worth it, but I know he will bring sneakers. How about boat shoes?

I doubt anyone will notice if the black shoes are sneakers rather than dress shoes, especially if they don't look like athleticwear.

Hi everyone...I love these boards because they have always been so helpful. My DH and I will be going on the Disney Magic on May 10 for a 5-night Bahamaian cruise. Along on this trip is DH's parents, 2 brothers, and brother's family. We are all first time DCL cruisers. Hopefully someone can help with these questions:

1) We all did online check-in and I was given a boarding time of 12:30-1pm and DH's family (on a different ressie) has a 1-1:30pm boarding. We will all be traveling from the airport together. What time should we schedule our van service to pick us up? Or rather, what time should we get to port to have ample time to leisurely board? Would there be anything to do at the terminal that would be worth getting there an hour earlier to do, like character meets, pictures etc, are those normally really crowded?

6) Finally, what is the best time to schedule a pick up when we disembark? We dock at 7:30am. Would it be better to eat breakfast then leave the ship at around 8:30-9am? Would we be required to take our own luggage? (I am ok with this, and would actually prefer it if it's faster). Everyone's flight is from 12:30pm onwards.

1) Open Boarding is generally announced around 12:30-12:45. If you (all of you) plan to arrive at the port around then, you'll be fine.
2) Rooms a generally ready around 1:30.
3) Yes, a 12 in bag will fit with no problem.
4) No, shops onboard are not open until the ship is out to sea.
5) 8:30 will be close, but can be done. The Pirate show generally starts around 9:45 with the fireworks following
6) Since they are black, and fairly plain, I'd say they'd be OK.
7) We prefer to take our time and eat breakfast before leaving. You will leave your bags outside your room the last night and then pick them up in the terminal. You don't have to put your bags out, but, since DCL prefers you out of your room by 8:00, you'd be hauling those bags (in extremely full elevators) to breakfast and then off the ship.

There is a model of a ship, and typically, at least one character (they rotate in and out) is in the terminal for photos in front of the model. That's about the only "entertainment" in the terminal, but as you might imagine, there's going to be at least some sort of line for that. Otherwise, terminal life generally consists of checking in yourselves and getting any young children in the group registered for kids' club (and a wristband).

As noted above, 1:30 is the official time and should be considered the earliest you could get to the room (we got in a little earlier on one cruise and a little later in another). On the bright side, almost everybody will also be lugging/pulling around some sort of carry-on, so you'll be in good company!

The under-bed storage is a huge benefit to the way DCL does their staterooms...tons of space under there. We had eight suitcases of varying sizes, and all of them fit under the bed (on the Dream and Fantasy, at least -- can't speak for the other two ships).

Smart idea if you want a souvenir anyway. The gift shops have a pretty wide variety of mugs, as well as Tervis tumblers, water bottles, etc., as you would expect. As already noted, the gift shops won't open until you leave the port -- last week it was 5:45 when they opened (assuming that is pretty standard) -- but there are disposable cups available at the fountain drink machines, so you could easily survive with those for a few short hours before hitting the shop(s) to buy a more permanent variety. Lots of people bring their own bigger cups, but we've never felt deprived with the smaller, throw-away options that are provided.

Your Palo experience can generally be as long or as short as you want it to be. The servers are incredible and will keep bringing you food as long as you want it, but they would also keep things moving pretty quickly if you had reason to do so. As someone else said, I'd plan for an hour and a half on the short end. Either way, last week on the Fantasy, the late-night pirate show/fireworks didn't even start until 10:30. The corny but fun Mickey-and-friends vs. Captain Hook pirate show was at 7:45, so you could catch that before Palo. The late night pirate show was Jack Sparrow, etc. They do a little skit for 10 minutes or so, and then the end of it leads directly into the fireworks. A dance party ensued soon thereafter and went until 11:30, at which time Pirates of the Caribbean (Curse of the Black Pearl) began playing on the giant Funnel Vision movie screen out by the pool.

Either would work. They are more focused on the rest of what you're wearing, and frankly, Palo is a little easier-going in that area than Remy, so while he should look nice, there's no requirement of jacket and tie. I wore a jacket the first time, but skipped it the next time and felt totally comfortable. Black not-so-athletic sneakers or boat shoes would be fine.

Your breakfast time will generally depend on your dinner time. Early dinner means you get invited to your last breakfast at 6:45 a.m. Late dinner means an 8:00 breakfast. As a general rule, they strongly encourage you to leave the ship as soon as you're finished with breakfast. We always eat that last breakfast in the dining room to stretch our cruise dollars, but I was pretty surprised how many tables were not being used. Cabanas might also be open...not sure. As far as luggage goes, you typically put your checked bags out in the hall the night before between 8:30 and 10:30. Then when you and your carry-ons get off the ship, you search for your checked bags in a warehouse (easy to find, based on character-driven tags provided to you the night before) and then through Customs (frighteningly simple process).

In regards to your drink question. The shops are closed in all ports. BUT... Soft drinks are FREE at any of the drink stations. Canned beverages, from Room Service and bars, are not free. My theory, if it asks for your room key, it's a charge.

OP, a couple years back we were waiting for our table at Palo, there was a gentleman who was refused seating, as he was wearing a pair of "Black Converse Sneakers". He had to go back & change into shoes. Not sure what "streamlined" look like, hopefully they won't stand out like a pair of Black Cons.

Wow, thank you all for the help. It's made planning this trip so much easier. :thanks:

We are on the same cruise.

1:30 pm

I believe the 12 inch case will fit, but you might need to lift the edge of the bed up to get it under there.

All stores are closed while the ship is in port. The only exception is Shutters (photos) on the last morning of the cruise.

Thanks for the info! That's cool we're on the same cruise!!

Here are answers to some of your questions:

Rooms are usually ready around 1:30 PM

My suitcase is more than 12 inches deep and I had no problem fitting it under the bed.

No, the shops are not open while the ship is in port.

Palo dinner would typically be about an hour and a half, I'd say. You should be able to get out on deck in time for fireworks.

I doubt anyone will notice if the black shoes are sneakers rather than dress shoes, especially if they don't look like athleticwear.

Appreciate the help! Right now, we have booked dinner on the last night of the cruise (5th night)...Pirate night is the 4th night, and there is only 8:30pm ressies. Most people I've spoken to said to skip regular dinner and do Palo on Pirate night, so I'm still deciding. Can we wear pirate attire to Palo? LOL. :sail:

1) Open Boarding is generally announced around 12:30-12:45. If you (all of you) plan to arrive at the port around then, you'll be fine.
2) Rooms a generally ready around 1:30.
3) Yes, a 12 in bag will fit with no problem.
4) No, shops onboard are not open until the ship is out to sea.
5) 8:30 will be close, but can be done. The Pirate show generally starts around 9:45 with the fireworks following
6) Since they are black, and fairly plain, I'd say they'd be OK.
7) We prefer to take our time and eat breakfast before leaving. You will leave your bags outside your room the last night and then pick them up in the terminal. You don't have to put your bags out, but, since DCL prefers you out of your room by 8:00, you'd be hauling those bags (in extremely full elevators) to breakfast and then off the ship.

Thanks for the info! It looks like it may be worth it to leave bags outside night before since we'll be lugging along pretty big suitcases and I'm pretty sure everyone would want breakfast before they leave! I will schedule our return trip for around 9am. Hopefully our luggage will be out in the terminal by then?

In regards to your drink question. The shops are closed in all ports. BUT... Soft drinks are FREE at any of the drink stations. Canned beverages, from Room Service and bars, are not free. My theory, if it asks for your room key, it's a charge.

Thank you! I'm thinking that I may bring some of our older refillable mugs from our past WDW trips. We've done the dining package a few times so we've built up a collection, and I may just recycle them after the cruise since we can't use them at WDW (these are the older mugs without the refillable sensor).

OP, a couple years back we were waiting for our table at Palo, there was a gentleman who was refused seating, as he was wearing a pair of "Black Converse Sneakers". He had to go back & change into shoes. Not sure what "streamlined" look like, hopefully they won't stand out like a pair of Black Cons.

Wow, I hope we don't get turned away...that would just be sad. DH's shoes aren't converse, but they pretty much look like this:

lacoste-men-s-protected-cr-fashion-sneaker.jpg

They don't have laces, more like a sleek velcro strap. I think dress pants will pretty much hide the top of the shoe, but the sole is rubber and white. It looks dressy from the top down. :)

I have been to Palo a few nights and have not seen anyone wearing Pirate Gear. People tend to book Palo on pirate night to get away from the pirate stuff. That has been my observation. YMMV.

Any luggage you bring onboard has to fit through a standard sized airport x-ray machine. And yes, you will have to bring that with you until your room is ready. Bring something with wheels!!

As far as those shoes, I honestly think they will turn your husband away.

Have a great cruise and keep the Magic in good shape!!! We will boarding for our 2 weeks cruise on the Magic the day you leave.:flower1:

MJ

Thank you! I'm thinking that I may bring some of our older refillable mugs from our past WDW trips. We've done the dining package a few times so we've built up a collection, and I may just recycle them after the cruise since we can't use them at WDW (these are the older mugs without the refillable sensor).

Cups are provided at the drinks stations, in fact if a CM is nearby, they will ask you to fill your mugs with the provided cups (to help prevent the spread of communicable diseases, its a big deal onboard the ship). So, if you want DCL mugs, use the provided cups until the stores open.

Wow, thank you all for the help. It's made planning this trip so much easier. :thanks:

Thanks for the info! That's cool we're on the same cruise!!

Appreciate the help! Right now, we have booked dinner on the last night of the cruise (5th night)...Pirate night is the 4th night, and there is only 8:30pm ressies. Most people I've spoken to said to skip regular dinner and do Palo on Pirate night, so I'm still deciding. Can we wear pirate attire to Palo? LOL. :sail:

Thanks for the info! It looks like it may be worth it to leave bags outside night before since we'll be lugging along pretty big suitcases and I'm pretty sure everyone would want breakfast before they leave! I will schedule our return trip for around 9am. Hopefully our luggage will be out in the terminal by then?

Wow, I hope we don't get turned away...that would just be sad. DH's shoes aren't converse, but they pretty much look like this:

lacoste-men-s-protected-cr-fashion-sneaker.jpg

They don't have laces, more like a sleek velcro strap. I think dress pants will pretty much hide the top of the shoe, but the sole is rubber and white. It looks dressy from the top down. :)

Honestly I would suck it up and pack a pair of dress shoes. ESPECIALLY since you admit that the soles are white. That in and of itself screams tennis/athletic shoe with a black upper. I'd say it's like a 99% chance that those shoes get turned away.

Honestly I would suck it up and pack a pair of dress shoes. ESPECIALLY since you admit that the soles are white. That in and of itself screams tennis/athletic shoe with a black upper. I'd say it's like a 99% chance that those shoes get turned away.

Hmm you may be right...maybe it's time for DH to finally do some shoe shopping :)

From the DCL website:

Barbossa_in_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_At_World%27s_End.JPG

Barbossa totally meets Palo's dress code, so I don't see why not.

LOL - he definitely has the right shoes. :)

Definitely. It's out there in the warehouse waiting for you before they announce that you may leave the ship.

Great, thanks!!

I have been to Palo a few nights and have not seen anyone wearing Pirate Gear. People tend to book Palo on pirate night to get away from the pirate stuff. That has been my observation. YMMV.

Any luggage you bring onboard has to fit through a standard sized airport x-ray machine. And yes, you will have to bring that with you until your room is ready. Bring something with wheels!!

As far as those shoes, I honestly think they will turn your husband away.
Have a great cruise and keep the Magic in good shape!!! We will boarding for our 2 weeks cruise on the Magic the day you leave.:flower1:

MJ

Thank you MJ! Our carry-on is wheeled and is pretty small, so I think it should be ok.
It's so funny how DH's shoe's have become somewhat of a conversation these days...he doesn't even like shoes!! :rolleyes: But yeah we will have to re-think the whole shoe thing...
We will try! What happens on the Magic stays on the Magic...I hear that is a quote from Mixology class. :yo-yo:

Cups are provided at the drinks stations, in fact if a CM is nearby, they will ask you to fill your mugs with the provided cups (to help prevent the spread of communicable diseases, its a big deal onboard the ship). So, if you want DCL mugs, use the provided cups until the stores open.

Gotcha, thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter