A few mobility questions...

bartleby1

DIS Veteran
Mom and Dad will be sharing a scooter for our trip, depending on who needs it more at a time but I have a few questions about attractions. Mom uses a cane and metal knee brace after several failed knee replacements and Dad has back issues and neuropathy in his feet. They can each do some walking in the parks which is why they want to share an ECV instead of each having their own. They can both transfer onto rides and will not need to take a wheelchair on.

I read that most lines are ECV accessible but some make you transfer to a wheelchair for the line. Is this option available only to guests using an ECV? Or can each of them 'borrow' a wheelchair for the line? Dad has problems standing in place (needs to be sitting or walking at a faster pace than lines allow, and Mom can stand for a while but not if the line is overly long). Is there a list of rides that scooters CAN'T be driven through the lines? I remember Mom having a really hard time at Kali years ago and got the ECV stuck in the queue and afterwards we found out that a CM was supposed to redirect us at a certain point in the line but had stepped away for a while. Is that still the case on certain lines, like Kali? What about for rides like Toy Story and Splash that have stairs? Is their an alternate entrance or do they pull you off the regular line when you get to the stairs? Would a fastpass be helpful for Toy Story or Splash or can we not use the fastpass line anyway due to the stairs? Maybe our fastpasses would be better used somewhere else?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
It sounds to me that you might need 2 ECVs. If neither one can stand or walk for long periods, either one or the other is going to be in difficulty at any given time. The wheelchairs available for queues that can't accommodate ECVs ( like POTC) are only for the use of one person. So they would have to take turns using it, just as they would have to take turns with the ECV.

Rides like Kali, Splash Mountain, and TSM, ( and a few others) have a point in the queue where there is a split and HC guests are directed to a separate queue, and sometimes a separate boarding area.

FPs are still valid for those rides, since you bypass the standby queue and split off into the HC boarding area later in the line. Its kind of difficult to describe. There is a lot of info on all of this in the FAQ sticky.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum has a lot of information that might be helpful for your planning. Specifically post #11 has info about attractions requiring transfer from an ECV.

There may be multiple wheelchairs available, it all depends on the crowds and who else has needed a wheelchair at that particular ride at that particular time. However, I don't believe there will be any wheelchairs available at rides that do not require a transfer. WDW's suggestion for those needing to sit in line is to use a mobility device. Would either of your parents be able to use a rollator (walker with a seat) or a cane-seat (cane that opens to a chair)?

For most queues, the ECV can be used in either the standby or FP+ queues, with an alternate path to avoid stairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you both so much! They are insisting on sharing an ECV, mostly because Dad can't sit for long periods of time but standing in one place is what really does him in. His back does best when he is walking at an extremely fast pace but Mom does best walking slowly or riding with the bad knee. They make quite a pair, lol! Stinks getting older, that's for sure!

I will ask mom about maybe trying a cane-seat. She's grown quite attached to her daily cane though so I'm not sure she'd switch but that would free up the ECV in lines if Dad needs a seat.

I've never seen a rollator in use. From what I can tell, the user would push it like a walker but then can sit down on it when they need a break. Is that correct? That sounds perfect for lines but I'm not sure either would be comfortable using it around the parks. Is it possible to push someone while they are sitting on it, almost like a wheelchair? Or is it just to be used as a walker? Otherwise, I suppose I could push it around for them to just use in the lines. Hmm...I'll have to think about that one.

Glad to hear we can still use fastpasses. I will be online at our 60 day mark to be sure to get their favorites! :)

Thanks for pointing out the list in post #11 too. Very helpful info!

I know in the end it will all work out but I'm trying to figure it all out as much as I can ahead of time to make it as easy as I can for them.

I've never seen a rollator in use. From what I can tell, the user would push it like a walker but then can sit down on it when they need a break. Is that correct? That sounds perfect for lines but I'm not sure either would be comfortable using it around the parks. Is it possible to push someone while they are sitting on it, almost like a wheelchair? Or is it just to be used as a walker?
Yes, that's how it's used. No, you can't use it like a wheelchair. Mine has several stickers warning not to move while seated. It may be something for your mom, especially, to consider, even for everyday life.

I'm getting my mom a cane-chair and keeping it on her wheelchair for times when standing will be an issue. My mom has an issue with lots of walking an standing as well, so I figure this will give her the most options.

There are walkers or rollators that can be used as a transport chair. I have one that's called the "Duet" made by Drive. There are other brands, just search for rollator transport chair. Unless they're designed to push a rider, they shouldn't be used that way.
Yes, that's how it's used. No, you can't use it like a wheelchair. Mine has several stickers warning not to move while seated. It may be something for your mom, especially, to consider, even for everyday life.

Okay, so I looked on Amazon after reading GranJan's response. Just be careful, as some of the items that came up in the search were regular rollators NOT safe for use as a wheelchair. But there are a number that would work. Especially look at the ones with some type of footrest.

I read that most lines are ECV accessible but some make you transfer to a wheelchair for the line. Is this option available only to guests using an ECV?

We've used an attraction wheelchair before even when we didn't enter in an ECV. However, I don't know if we were breaking the rules or not by doing so.

Thanks again for all of your responses. Mom's going to try out some rollators at a medical supply place to see if she is able to use one. Since her knee isn't able to bend much, she kind of swings it out to one side when she walks and is afraid it might hit the wheels of the rollator. The seat would be very useful though. So many decisions, LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter