• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few days in New York City- a few pics

luvflorida

DIS Veteran
My husband, daughter, and I just spent a few days in New York City. For anyone interested, here are a few pics. Sorry about the size, I don't know how to size them so that they're smaller.:confused3

I know people post on here from time to time asking about where to stay when visiting NYC. Well, we thought we'd try something different this time, so instead of staying in the city or driving in and out from New Jersey, we stayed at the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson.

newyorkcity009.jpg
The hotel is right outside the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken, New Jersey. The price is a lot less expensive than NYC hotels, there is no fee for parking, and the rooms are fairly large with a sitting area, mini-fridge and microwave.

newyorkcity004.jpg

We were on the 10th floor and this is the view from our window, looking across the Hudson to NYC. Beautiful!

newyorkcity010.jpg

This is the view from the ferry landing, which is literally just steps from the hotel's front door.

newyorkcity012.jpg

The ferry arriving to take us across. The boat ride takes less than ten minutes, but I was hoping it would be longer. It's a very relaxing way to travel in and out of the city!

newyorkcity024.jpg

We took the elevator to the "Top of the Rock". This is a view of Central Park.

newyorkcity022.jpg

View from the opposite side. The Top of the Rock tour included a lot of historical photos along the way, and a few short film clips about the history of Rockefeller Center and the NBC Studios. The views from the upper observation deck were magnificent!

newyorkcity032.jpg

Some of the famous Rockettes out on the street. They were filming for something, not sure what.:)

newyorkcity042.jpg

We saw Willie Nelson's tour bus parked outside the Ed Sullivan Theatre where they were taping a show and I snapped a picture of him as he came out of the theatre! Hillary Clinton was due to arrive about the same time, but we didn't stick around. There were tons of police officers and security personnel and a large crowd of people, so I doubt we would've seen much.

newyorkcity002.jpg

We ate at Bubba Gump's and had an awesome view of Times Square. DD17 loves the movie, Forrest Gump, so we had to eat there!

newyorkcity003.jpg

This was our main reason for visiting NYC this time- to see the Broadway production of Grease. IT WAS TERRIFIC!!!!!! We watched the audition show that was on tv last spring and we were pulling for Max Crumm to win the part of Danny Zucco. He did, and he is absolutely perfect for the part. Max has a lot of stage presence and he sure can dance!

newyorkcity047.jpg

The ferry coming to take us back to the New Jersey side. This one had an upper deck which made my trip complete. I loved riding on the outside deck.:)

newyorkcity052.jpg

This was taken as the sun was setting. A beautiful picture to end our last day!

It's funny, you keep coming to NY and I keep going up to New England! We're headed to VT again tomorrow.

So glad you loved Grease. Might take my nieces for Christmas.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I love NYC. The rockettes looked like they were doing something for Christmas.

Love your pictures!

How hard was it to get to that hotel? Did you have to go through any 'New York' type traffic. You know, like your fingers have to be pried off the steering wheel and you're weeping uncontrollably, meanwhile every taxi cab in New York is in your trunk, leaning on the horn and giving you looks that could kill the whole West side?

Those are really great, unique pics. :) Thanks for sharing. I love the one of the Rockettes.... :goodvibes

Great pics! And now I must thank you for making me homesick- my parents live (and I used to live) in West New York (up the cliff from Weekawken), and I used to work for NY Waterway (the ferry company).

I agree your DD is pretty. Cute haircut!

Love your pictures!

How hard was it to get to that hotel? Did you have to go through any 'New York' type traffic. You know, like your fingers have to be pried off the steering wheel and you're weeping uncontrollably, meanwhile every taxi cab in New York is in your trunk, leaning on the horn and giving you looks that could kill the whole West side?

Something tells me you've experienced NYC traffic.:rotfl:

haha! Actually, it wasn't too bad. On the way down, we drove into New York City and through the Lincoln Tunnel. We took a left almost immediately after coming out of the tunnel in New Jersey and the hotel was right there on the waterfront. My husband was doing the driving. He doesn't mind it at all, but I HATE driving through NYC!:scared1:

When we left to come home, we went a different way. Instead of driving through the Lincoln Tunnel (and risk getting stuck in morning commuter traffic) we went over the George Washington Bridge.

If I ever drive down by myself, I'll take the bridge BOTH ways.:)

BTW, I've ridden in many NYC cabs, and I can testify that it's wilder than any theme park ride that Walt, or anyone else, could ever dream up!:scared1:

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing :)

I'm glad that you liked Grease because my family and I are going to see it soon. I was actually pulling for Austin and Ashley on the show but Max is fantastic. I like Laura too, but her not being blonde for Sandy bothers me haha. But I can't wait to see it!

I know people post on here from time to time asking about where to stay when visiting NYC. Well, we thought we'd try something different this time, so instead of staying in the city or driving in and out from New Jersey, we stayed at the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson.
!

Thats a GREAT IDEA!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 I never even thought of that.....and I work up the road from that hotel!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thank you for sharing your pictures...it looks like you had a blast!

I worked for a company that was on the blue and white pier down the block from the hotel you were at...1500 Harbor Blvd...great views!!!

We're going to NYC Sept 12-15. Celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. :love:

We also watched the Grease reality show - and had planned to go to the show, but it is getting just horrible reviews. We booked Chicago for Thursday night - George Hamilton is in it starting a few days before we get there. Did you find discounts for Grease? I can't find any! We will be staying at the Westin Times Square.

What were your most "don't miss" things in NYC?

Why no pics of YOU, LF? In the pic of "my sister" (I don't think you use names on here), I thought Dad was reflected at first in the Siemens screen. Same clothes...computer...looked like him until I saw the girly arm. Two more months and you'll be back in NYC, except it will be so much better, because I'LL BE THERE!!! :banana:

Thanks so much for the pics! I would love to go to NYC one day soon, the pics just made me want to hurry and book the trip.

Your DD is a dancer right? She is such a cutie!

We're going to NYC Sept 12-15. Celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. :love:

We also watched the Grease reality show - and had planned to go to the show, but it is getting just horrible reviews. We booked Chicago for Thursday night - George Hamilton is in it starting a few days before we get there. Did you find discounts for Grease? I can't find any! We will be staying at the Westin Times Square.

What were your most "don't miss" things in NYC?

I know, some of the reviews are awful.:sad2: No, I didn't look for any discounts. Almost as soon as Max won the role, I went online to get tickets.:) We really enjoyed the show, and so did the rest of the audience. The night we attended, the cast got two standing ovations and prolonged clapping and yelling from the audience. ALL of the actors are great, the sets are amazing, and the musicians, along with the orchestra leader, are extremely talented and entertaining. If anyone has seen the show, they'll know what I mean about the orchestra leader!

There are so many 'not-to-be-missed' things! We love seeing Broadway shows and just walking all around the city- the Times Square area, Rockefeller Plaza, and the stores on 5th Avenue. I've enjoyed taking a ride on the Staten Island Ferry, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, visiting Strawberry Fields in Central Park, and taking the NBC Studios Tour. Going to the top of the Empire State Building or the 'Top of the Rock' will give you a totally different perspective on the city. Everytime we visit NYC, we try to do or see things that we've never done there before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter