A Fantasy Holiday - our first Disney Cruise, WDW, UOR, New York and DLR - COMPLETED 4/9

Day 17 - Part 4 - Jared found Giraffe friends - Part 2

I start by apologizing about a second post about giraffes - but Jared was so excited to see them that we took a million good photos of them!

This was a good indication of exactly how far away the giraffes were from our window (no zoom).

Then, to further excite Jared, 3,4 and then 5 giraffes came to the feeding stations that had just been filled near our window! Jared was so happy!

I don't think we got a picture with all 5 but here are 4 of them!

49359464681_36da40bf48_h.jpg

Here's me and I think there are 5 of them in the back of this shot (please remember I had just woken up and I'm in my nightshirt, a really cute one I bought with Belle on it that says 'it's hard to be a Beauty when mornings are a Beast' - it is so me).

Jared with his giraffe friends

49359464371_b34e3e4135_h.jpg

The beautiful Savannah

Our goat friends making friends with Jared's giraffe friend!

Aww baby giraffe!

49359671642_f6035ab9ba_h.jpg

49359467406_50888dcf3b_h.jpg

And one random creature to finish off!

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Day 17 - Part 5 - Dining in California

After a while Jared's giraffe friends left him again and he retired to the room to rest. We then made our way to Disney's Contemporary Resort for dinner at the Californian Grill. We waited for a while to be seated (it was very busy) and so Jared took some pictures of me, mainly because I was wearing the Swarovski tinkerbell necklace that my friend Karen had given me as a thank you for helping plan her families Walt Disney World visit, and I wanted to show her I was wearing it!

Finally we were seated, in a side room overlooking Bay Lake (no Magic Kingdom view - oh well!)

We had an awesome maitre'd who was from New Zealand, another neighboring country to Australia, and we had a good chat to him for a while! He said having Aussies around made him feel at home and we joked that having a Kiwi around (a New Zealander) was like being at home (there are lots of New Zealanders in Australia). Probably the best way to describe the relationship between our countries is to say it's like the relationship between the US and Canada. Your friends and neighbours but you like to poke fun at each other every now and then. That's what it's like for Australia and New Zealand!

We both ordered a mushroom flat bread for appetiser (and were so hungry we forgot to photograph it) and it was really delicious, though not quite as good as the amazing flat bread at Hearthstone Lounge at Disneyland.

For main I ordered chicken with truffle mash and Jared ordered a pork belly which was so so good! I really wish I had ordered his dish! It was amazing.

For dessert I ordered the creme brulee - which was divine (only to be surpassed by the creme brulee I had the next night at Victoria and Alberts - I really love creme brulee) and Jared ordered the chocolate cake which came with a very cute message from the Californian Grill.

I had noted on this reservation that it was Jared's birthday!

We were a little pressed for time that night as we wanted to get into the park by 9pm to find a good spot for the fireworks but we couldn't resist taking some photos of the wonderful view from the California Grill viewing area before we left! The views were stunning!

Last edited:
Day 17 - Part 6 - Our first Wishes

In all the times we've visited the Magic Kingdom (I believe this was our third trip) we'd never actually seen Wishes. We'd seen Christmas fireworks and another fireworks show before Wishes and never experienced what I had heard described as the best fireworks show Disney has put on for years. So we really wanted a classic Main Street view for our first viewing and so after dinner we rushed into the parks to find a spot. Of course at that point it was about 9:15 and Main Street was packed. During the projection show Jared kept moving around through the crowd trying to find a spot he was happy with for photos. Finally he score a place on the slightly raised part of Main Street that allowed him enough room to set up his tripod without anyone really tall in his way. Then Wishes begun. I loved it! I love the musical, I loved the fireworks, I loved the voice overs by Julie Andrews and tink flying towards the castle, everything was perfect. I finally found a fireworks show I enjoyed more than the HalloWishes fireworks we saw on our first trip to Disneyland! And Jared managed to get amazing pictures! Just look!

Last edited:
Day 17 - Part 7 - The most magical time at Magic Kingdom

We had a Buzz Lightyear Fastpass just after the fireworks so we hightailed it over to Tomorrowland to make that. We avoided a 20 minute wait and hopped straight on. I somehow managed to hit the giant zurg and cored an extra 100 000 points, which bought my score to a grand total of .... 110 000 (generally I suck at that game!). Jared still beat me but at least this was my best score yet!

We had missed our Fast Pass for Space Mountain so we headed instead to the Haunted Mansion and met with 999 grim grinning ghosts. After that was done it was time for our 11pm Fast Pass for Big Thunder Mountain so we headed there next. The ride was so much better at night. We'd never managed to get on it at night before so that was a nice surprise.

After Big Thunder was done we had about an hour and a half until the park officially closed so we decided to get the tripod out and take lots of pictures around the Magic Kingdom at it's most magical time of day!

We started where we were - at Big Thunder Mountain!

We managed to catch the end of the Main Street Electrical Parade while taking pictures in Frontierland

Our next stop, The Haunted Mansion

And I had to get some good pictures of the beautiful Tangled Toilets area

We stopped in Fantasyland next

And then we headed out the the hub and into Tomorrowland

After we took these photos in tomorrowland we headed to Space Mountain to see what the wait time was since we missed our Fast Pass earlier and it was only 10 minutes so we rode what I think is my favourite ride at the Magic Kingdom as our final ride of the night.

We waited for a while after these shots for Main Street to clear a little so we could get a picture.

After that it was almost time for the park to close and we had finally made it to our first ever park closing and, the Kiss Goodnight.

Last edited:
Day 17 - Part 8 - The kiss goodnight

So as I was saying, we finally got to see the Kiss Goodnight!!

Then we hung around for a bit to take some final photos of Main Street and the castle

Then it was time to say goodbye to the Magic Kingdom for this trip!

Once we were ready to leave we went to catch the monorail to the Contemporary resort where the car was parked only to discover it had stopped running (only the TTC direct monorail was running) so we had to walk over to the contemporary!

I really enjoyed spending the extra magic hour until 1am in the Magic Kingdom. It's just so magical and beautiful at night, and has an atmosphere the park just can't capture during the day. I'm really glad we made a point to spend some time hanging out there at night!

Last edited:
I am loving your trip report. I try and read it in an Aussie accent. I am sure it does not sound the same :). Your pictures are fantastic. Love the different perspectives. Love the aerial view of Orlando. That must have been amazing. Can't wait to read more.

I just want to thank you for such a readable, exciting trip report! Last year we were luckily able to do WDW, the Fantasy and DLR (although not in the same trip) and love that I am reliving it in your details and really amazing photos. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

Amazing photos. You might even entice me on to the Fantasy one day though still not enthralled by the Caribbean (sorry)-it just doesn't really appeal. I was only just at WDW a few months ago but you make me want to go back - including among many, many things, to appreciate the Tangled lights at night. I was tired and hungry and cranky when passing through that area at night and didn't stop to admire their beauty and I should have as your pics show! Loving reliving memories. The plane sightseeing tour looked interesting too.

I am loving your trip report. I try and read it in an Aussie accent. I am sure it does not sound the same :). Your pictures are fantastic. Love the different perspectives. Love the aerial view of Orlando. That must have been amazing. Can't wait to read more.

I love that you try read the report in an Aussie accent! I think that's hilarious! I guess when I read it I read it in an Aussie accent too (but to me that's just my voice!). Thanks, Jared did so a wonderful job with the photos! The plane tour was really fun and yes, it's so interesting to see the parks from above! Glad you're reading along :)

I just want to thank you for such a readable, exciting trip report! Last year we were luckily able to do WDW, the Fantasy and DLR (although not in the same trip) and love that I am reliving it in your details and really amazing photos. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

You are welcome and thank you for the kind words. I try to make my reports something I would want to read (and I am quite fussy when it comes to reading trip reports!). I'm glad you are enjoying it :)

Amazing photos. You might even entice me on to the Fantasy one day though still not enthralled by the Caribbean (sorry)-it just doesn't really appeal. I was only just at WDW a few months ago but you make me want to go back - including among many, many things, to appreciate the Tangled lights at night. I was tired and hungry and cranky when passing through that area at night and didn't stop to admire their beauty and I should have as your pics show! Loving reliving memories. The plane sightseeing tour looked interesting too.

The Fantasy was AMAZING. I know how you feel about the Caribbean, I am not really a beachy/islandy type person but I found that we had heaps of fun on the islands anyway. And if you don't want to see the Caribbean the Fantasy is worth a trip just for the boat. But Disney also does itineraries in Canada and Alaska, Europe, Mexico and Hawaii. While the Fantasy mainly stays in and around the Caribbean I think her sister ship, the Disney Dream does some of the other itineraries as do the two smaller ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. I'm glad you are able to re-live your trip with our pictures. I love reading trip reports for that very reason!

Day 18 - Part 1 - Dodging Running Princesses

Today we planned to visit EPCOT and we knew we would have to leave the hotel early in order to make it to the park at opening as the Princess Half Marathon was being run between the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. What this meant is that, with the roads blocked by the race, we wouldn't be able to drive to EPCOT, and we were advised to allow extra time when catching Disney transportation. So we left the hotel ready to catch the first bus to EPCOT at 8:30am. As it turned out all the buses were running late because of the traffic. A bus to the Magic Kingdom was the only one to arrive at 8:30 and upon the advice from the CM at the bus stop, we hopped on it as we were told it was going to the TTC (as buses we not able to drive to the Magic Kingdom). On our way to the TTC we saw thousands of people running in all kinds of costumes, Princesses, fairies, even tigger, oh and more people in sparkly tops and tutus than I've ever seen in my life.

Anyway, at some point I looked out the window and realized we were passing the TTC and the bus was heading to the Magic Kingdom! Fuming a little that we were now going to the wrong park, we realized buses must have just been given clearance to drive up to the park as all the runners were further down the race track. Anyway we got to the Magic Kingdom and decided to take the ferry back to the TTC as the monorail wasn't running that time of morning. When we got to the ferry it was about to leave and we were the only people on it back to the TTC! That was fun, our own private Disney ferry boat. We comforted ourselves knowing that, while there was no way we would make it to EPCOT for the 9am opening we had seen the long line of traffic trying to enter the park on the bus and we figured most other people wouldn't be making it for opening either!

Back at the TTC (finally) we hopped aboard the monorail to EPCOT. We'd never actually caught the monorail to EPCOT before so it was interesting to see some more of the property from that vantage point. We arrived at EPCOT and then, tortuously, had to wait inside the park monorail line before we could stop at the EPCOT monorail station. While looking out over the park we were able to see that it was pretty much empty except for the stream of runners jogging through Future World! People were clearly avoiding the park due to the marathon.

It was 9:30 by the time we made our way into the park and of course we wanted to head to the opposite side of the park from where we entered to Soarin'. At that point the runners were running down through the central Innoventions Plaza and back around and out the front of the park. We had to wait for the CM's to re-divert the runners so we could pass each small pathway heading to the right side of EPCOT. Eventually at 9:45am we made it to Soarin'. It was a long and complicated journey getting there but as it turned out the way we got there probably put us in the park way earlier than if we had caught the EPCOT bus, which would have been stuck in traffic trying to enter the TTC, where we were told it was being diverted.

When we got to Soarin', 45 minutes after official park opening, the wait was still only 5 - 10 minutes (when has that ever happened in the history of EPCOT)! We had definitely beat the crowds still trying to get into the park. We rode Soarin' again with only a 15 minute wait after our first try and were put in the awful 3rd row (how I hate the 3rd row). Still, we were glad we had gotten to ride twice without much of a wait as we knew we wouldn't be doing this ride at Disneyland when we got there and it is one of our all time favourites (actually it was the reason we decided to add EPCOT to the list of parks we would visit at Walt Disney World this time as we were planning to skip it originally).

Our next stop was our Test Track Fast Pass. It's a really good thing we had it as the runners, who we assume would pack up and go home after the exhausting marathon, were all starting to stream into the park (seriously if I'd just run a marathon I'd be going home to rest!) and the wait time for Test Track had soared to 90 minutes! We enjoyed Test Track as always. While boarding we saw Santa and Mrs Claus on holidays (I kid you not and later on I'll show you a photo of how much the two guests we saw looked like Santa and Mrs Claus). Our car won capability (what is that anyway - I'm sure all cars are capable!) but got second for everything else (responsiveness, efficiency, power). When we went to get our ride photo for Test Track this is what we found though!

Nope, that isn't us! Lol Disney! If I cared about having the photo I would have called them up and asked them to find it but it sounded like too much work for a ride photo!

After Test Track we were done with Future World and we headed into World Showcase to take pictures. We decided we'd head right into the Showcase as we always tend to vere left first and never make it to the France, UK and Canada in good light for good photos (interesting thought - do we vere left because we are Australians and we keep to the left in Australia? I wonder because I've often read trip reports where you Americans discuss how you always head to the right of World Showcase first!). Before we did that however we hung around for some photos that Jared really wanted, the Monorail!

Our first stop in World Showcase was, of course, Canada. It was such a beautiful day and the flowers were out all over the garden!

After Canada we headed into the UK. Once again, the flowers seemed extra pretty in this part (honestly I think the right side of World Showcase is much prettier than the left as it seems to have much more foliage!)

I loved seeing topiaries, even though the Flower and Garden festival hadn't started yet (we were at the 2011 Flower and Garden Festival and I loved it!)

Last edited:
Day 18 - Part 2 - Spring is in the air at a Royal Garden

We spent a bit of timing taking photos in the beautiful English gardens at the UK Pavilion.

We were really hungry at this point so we decided to stop in for a pastry at the bakery in France.

We found a Photopass photographer on the way in.

We both enjoyed savory croissants and Jared got come coffee and we relaxed in the France Pavilion resting our feet.

Once again the flowers in the Pavilion looked beautiful! It might not have officially been spring but it looked like it at EPCOT that day!

Last edited:
Day 18 - Part 3 - Into the Orient

Next up was Morocco and Japan. Morocco is just gorgeous! I can't get enough of the mosaic work everywhere (you should know by now if you've been reading this from the beginning how much I love mosaics!

And then we checked out Japan.

And here they are - Mr and Mrs Claus who we saw boarding Test Track!

Didn't see them - I'll crop in (sorry it's not completely clear - we weren't trying to take a photo of them we only noticed they were in it after the fact)!

Last edited:
Day 18 - Part 4 - Lunch at Via Napoli

We headed in Italy next where we would be having lunch at Via Napoli. It was our first time visiting the well reviewed pizzeria so we were excited.

I always love taking a peak at the beautiful Venetian masks in the shops in the Italy Pavilion

While we waited for our lunch reservations time we saw the Italian medieval bank march out of the Pavilion

Finally it was time to check in for lunch. I loved the beautiful Venetian glass chandelier!

We had a table in the inside part of the Alfresco dining area with the doors open to the Pavilion. It was a lovely atmosphere looking out of the Italian terrace while we ate!

I ordered some of my favorite arancini for entree and was a little disappointed by them (they didn't have a lot of flavor). Still I ordered them with a blood orange mocktail which was delicious! We just ordered the one mushroom pizza to share for main along with a salad. The pizza was good but not amazing like I'd heard. We do have a very good gourmet woodfired pizza place just down the road from where we live so I have high standards when it comes to that kind of pizza I guess and this one was just a little bland. It was still nice but nothing special.

After lunch we headed back out into the Pavilion.

Last edited:
Day 18 - Part 5 - Goodbye EPCOT

After lunch we were really beat and as much as we wanted to stick around World Showcase to see the other half of it we really didn't have the energy. We also concluded that we had gotten plenty of good photos of Mexico, Norway, China and Germany on other trips as we always started in those Pavilions and were excited to take pictures (which wears off after 4 or 5 pavilions) and that's all we would have done in them, so we decided to head back to the hotel. Also, our feet had died so we decided to take our first ride on the Friendship boat. On our way out Jared took some pictures of the amazing Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs topiaries.

We didn't even have to wait as a boat arrived as we were walking up to the dock.

ed a few more photos of the monorail on the way out.

And then we saw this gorgeous angle to take a picture of Spaceship Earth from

The flowers were just beautiful!

Finally we had to have some Photopass photos in the park before leaving (I mean we had the Memory Maker package and we had to make the most of it)

Aww Love

Last edited:
Day 18 - Part 6 - Victoria and Albert's - the best dining experience of my life

We rested at the Animal Kingdom Lodge that afternoon and then made our way to the Grand Floridan for our 6pm reservation at Victoria and Albert's. We knew it would be a good evening when, as driving into the Grand Floridan we told them we were eating at Victoria and Albert's, and he informed us we could use valet parking. Our valet met us at the entrance and welcome us to Victoria and Albert's, calling us Mr and Mrs Beaney as he did (Side note - I still find it weird when someone refers to me as Mrs Beaney, even though I have been married for over 5 years now)!

The CM on the entrance also mentioned that they liked my dress, which was nice to hear as I got REALLY dressed up for V&A's.

When we arrived we were shown straight to our table and my chair was pulled out for me and Jared's camera bag taken and sat on a little pouffe near his chair!!

Our maitre'd then asked if I was cold and wanted a shawl and went out and bought me back the softest most beautiful cashmere shawl I've ever worn (seriously I wish I could have kept it!). Not to mention, that anytime I went to the toilet I had a fresh napkin waiting for me when I came back and my seat was pulled out for me by the staff at the restaurant. The service at V&A's was outstanding.

Everything about the room was elegant and refined, yet there was a warmth to it all that made it feel not at all stuffy.

We met our waitress, Amy, who explained to us that we would be eating seven courses and that we would be provided with personalised menu's, mine tailored to my dietary requirements (no seafood, cumin, curry or chili). Jared's personalized menu actually said Happy Birthday on it - which was a gorgeous touch.

While we were looking through our menu's and deciding what to order we begun listening to the Harpist and realised she was playing Fred Jones Pt 2 by Ben Folds. Now Ben Folds is Jared's favourite musical artist of all time (he loves that he's a rock pianist; Jared's main instrument is also piano). We were so excited to hear some Ben Folds played on the harp and were really enjoying all of the Harpists songs. She played Gone by Ben Folds also along with other popular songs like Fix You by Coldplay, Thinking out Loud by Ed Sheeran and some Disney numbers including Let it Go, A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes and When you Wish Upon A Star. We enjoyed passing the wait between courses by trying to pick which song she was playing!

Anyway we finally choose what we would have for each course and relayed that to our wonderful waitress Amy. Not long later our first courses came. Mine was Poussin (chicken) with marble potatoes and Balsamic Froth

Jared choose the Colorado Bison with Black Radish Slaw and Kumquats

Wow, were those cold appetisers delicious!! I was in heaven. I was a little worried about eating at Victoria and Alberts as I normally not the biggest fan of really fancy food but I have since realized that this kind of good food is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy, an amalgamation of flavors designed to go well together creating an amazing dining experience!

I also forgot to mention Jared had decided to have the wine pairings with his meal and he was so glad he did as the New Zealand Jules Taylor Savignon Blac Marborough 2014 he had was AMAZING. He loved it so much he wants to track it down now that we are home!

For our next course Jared had the Masage Crusted Maine Scallop with Coconut Curry Broth

I ordered the Roasted Duck with Fennel and Leeks Al'Orange which was also extremely delicious. It was my first time trying duck.

For the third course Jared ordered the some kind of beef dish but I cannot for the life of me work out which dish it was on the menu (sigh)

And I ordered the Truffle and Mushroom Gnocchi which was so so so amazing!

We had finally arrived at the main course at Jared ordered the Ash Crusted Lamb Loin and Belly

I had the Veal with Black Truffles but I can’t seem to find a photo of it – either way it was amazing.

Up next was the cheese platter which had the most amazing dried fruit strap on it which went so well with the cheese!

While we were waiting for one of our courses we got to speak with the Harpist, Elizabeth, who Amy bought over because we had raved to her about how good she was and how much we loved that she was playing Ben Folds. Elizabeth wanted to thank us for listening and was glad to hear we were enjoying her music. She told us she knew basically all of Ben Fold's songs on the harp (as he was also one of her favorite musicians). Later on when Amy came back over we thanked her for telling Elizabeth to come over and lamented how we hadn't thought to ask her to play our song, which is The Luckiest by Ben Folds and so Amy went back over to Elizabeth and requested Elizabeth play the song for us. Between our main courses and dessert we suddenly recognized our song being played and it bought tears to our eyes - it was so beautiful on the harp and we felt a little emotional to hear the song I walked up the aisle to playing as we ate a wonderful romantic meal for two at the nicest restaurant we've ever visited. It was so perfect! After dinner Elizabeth came back over to our table and we thanked her profusely for playing our song, Jared even showed her his wedding ring which has 'I am the Luckiest' engraved on it. She excused herself for a moment and came back with a copy of her CD for us, which included her version of the Luckiest and gave it to us, thanking us again for being so complimentary about her music! It was the sweetest thing and we were so blown away by her friendliness and generosity and so excited to have that version of our song to listen to over and over so we could remember such an amazing evening together.

Anyway, I will now get back to the food part of the evening (I skipped to the end of the night because it made sense to mention everything about Elizabeth and her wonderful music together). Now though, we were waiting for our dessert to arrive and as we were waiting Jared was bought a special coffee peculator to make his coffee to go with his dessert.

The percolator worked differently to most in that if had a funnel that allowed the hot water and steam to rise up into the coffee but not over whelm it. Then, when the coffee was brewed, the suction in the funnel was reversed and the coffee was bought down to the lower pot ready to be poured. Jared had lots of fun watching the percolator do it's thing!

I felt left out, but not for long as I was bought earl grey tea in a similar percolator

Relaxing before dessert in my cashmere shawl!

Sipping my yummy tea!

Finally dessert arrived. Jared had ordered a chocolate souffle, which he said was amazing, and I of course, had more creme brulee and it was even better than the night before at California Grill!

The last part of the meal included a few chocolate liqueurs (most of which were too much for me).

At the end of the evening we were comfortably full but not stuffed like we were after our evening at Palo (maybe that meal expanded our stomachs) and we decided to take a few more photos of the restaurant before leaving.

On our way out Amy bought us a little package of things to take home which included a date loaf birthday present for Jared and a beautiful red rose for me, which Jared can be seen holding in the next picture, along with our valet stub and advice that the valet was already bringing our car around!

The meal took a little over 3 hours, but it felt much quicker than that to us. We are usually very quick eaters and so we were surprised by how nice it was to enjoy a meal over such a length of time.

Overall our experience at Victoria and Albert's was nothing short of excellent. Of course the experience is very expensive (I think with one lot of wine pairings the cost was about $500 for the two of us - with tip) but the food is also completely top quality and what you would expect from such an expensive restaurant. The atmosphere was extremely elegant, without being stuffy, and the wonderful staff were so amazingly friendly and attentive and made you feel right at home. I was worried about how I would like the really fancy chef created food, but found I absolutely loved it, and the way the flavors chosen mixed together so well. Plus the wonderful harpist, who helped create the beautiful romantic atmosphere, was such a trip highlight for us. I have no hesitation in saying that this was the best meal of my life and would highly recommend this as a romantic evening to anyone! We had been treated like royalty and we left feeling extremely happy and content...

Last edited:
Day 19 - Part 1 - To a mountain, the pre-historic and the jungle

Today we were heading to both Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios for our final day at Disney World. Animal Kingdom was up first and we arrived at the park about 15 minutes after opening at arrived at our first destination, Expedition Everest, at about 9:30am.

It was a quiet day at Animal Kingdom and Everest was a walk on so we did it twice in a row. We then tried a few shots of the coaster.

Our ride photos were fun!

After Expedition Everest we walked over to Dinosaur and hopped straight on that too! I had forgotten how dark it is and how much those dinosaurs actually scare me! We lamented how the ugly construction walls up around the lake near Everest (meaning no pretty reflection shots) blocked the nice views of Everest. However, unlike at the Magic Kingdom, at least these construction walls were nicely decorated with appropriate Animal Kingdom signage and paraphernalia (sorry we didn't take any photos so you'll just have to take my word for it!). After Dinosaur we made our way to Kali River rapids and donned our trust Tokyo Disney ponchos (I finally have a picture of them to show you!).

See - really good quality!

After Kali River Rapids we went back to Expedition Everest and used our Fast Pass. The regular wait was up to 20 minutes by that point so it wasn't a complete waste of time having a Fast Pass. Jared worked out where the camera was!

After that we had basically hit all the ride attractions at Animal Kingdom worth seeing (I love the park, it is so beautiful and a great place to just relax and look at everything around you but it does need some more ride like attractions - I'm sure Pandora will fix that when it opens). We had a Kiliminjaro Fast Pass booked for later and we knew we wanted to watch Flights of Wonder, which was on in about 45 minutes, so we decided to grab a pastry and find somewhere quiet to sit until the show started. We found just the place just near the entrance bridge to Asia from Discovery Island.

While we sat we found some cute birds to watch as we passed the time.

Our quiet spot was behind those boats...

We made our way past the Tree of Life to the Flights of Wonder stage.

We watched this gorgeous owl out the front for a few minutes then made our way inside to find a seat.

Continued in Next Post....

Last edited:
Day 19 - Part 2 - Flights of Wonder

We sat down to watch one of my favorite shows in all of Disney World, Flights of Wonder. I really love how the humor of the show is cleverly mixed with the message about preserving these birds habitats by protecting our environment. The 'Tour Guide' who hates birds is hilarious and the birds are always so beautiful. Here are a sampling of some of the birds we saw.

This adorable little parrot was not in the mood to do what was asked of him that day - it made the show even more comedic!

This African Crow hit me in the heads with his wings as he flew over me to steal a dollar bill from the lady right behind me! Jared got hit by him as he was on his way back to her with the dollar bill!

This owl honestly looked like a teddy-bear, like it wasn't real!

Last edited:
Day 19 - Part 3 - A Animal Kingdom Photopass Album

After the show we headed over to Kilimanjaro Safari's for our next Fast Pass, but before we did we had a few Photopass photos. We'd also had others throughout the morning and we had more than afternoon but it's hard to remember exactly when we had them all so I'm going to post them all in this entry! I loved our Animal Kingdom Photopass photos. We had a lot of fun magic shots and the photographers seemed to know what they were doing this time!

Oh here's in idea of what the colourfully painted construction walls looked like - Other than that this is a pretty terrible place for a picture!

Last edited:
Day 19 - Part 4 - On safari - Part 1

After taking so many Photopass photos that morning we hadn't gotten many pictures of our own of the park. Walking to the safari we decided we wanted our own pictures of the beautiful Tree of Life.

Finally we were done taking photos and we headed towards Africa for a trip on Kilimanjaro Safari's. With our Fast Pass we basically walked on and I believe the actual wait was about 45 minutes, so we were very happy about that! We even had a whole row to ourselves so we could pass the camera across to each other to get the animals on each side of the car.

The first animals we saw were these White Rhino's. Our guide on this trip was actually quiet knowledgeable and informed us of all kinds of animal facts as we drove around the safari area. The first, and most memorable, was the origin of the name of the White Rhino (as clearly they aren't white). Apparently the Afrikaans word used for this type of Rhino was the word Vyte, which means wide, but the English settlers thought they were calling the Rhino's White Rhino's and the name simply stuck! So these creatures got their current name from a mis-translation!

We passed one of the African Deer type creatures I can never remember the name of!

The Hippos were next. These animals look so peaceful, it's hard to imaging them charging to kill someone, yet they are probably one of the deadliest animals in Africa!

Yes, this is a real crocodile, it just looks like it is made of stone (perhaps that's one of the ways in tricks its prey!)

The Landscape in the jungle area of the safari is so beautiful!

Last edited:
Day 19 - Part 5 - On Safari - Part 2

We had reached the Savannah plains of the Kilimanjaro Safari's.

The most interesting site on this safari were two Elephants who were, ahh, very attracted to each other and had decided to show each other physically as we drove past! Don't worry, we don't have a picture of it! The Elephants are such majestic creatures aren't they!

These are the two Elephants of whom I spoke before!

We then came along some more Rhino's (Black this time I think)

After we were done on the Savannah we were into the Great Cats area. Of course, wherever the Lions were sleeping it was not in sight of the safari vehicle (I think we've only seen Lions on one occasion on safari at Animal Kingdom - they are very hidey kittehs!). We did catch a few cheetahs though and were told by our driver they are the only species of the big cats that can purr (how adorable) and that they don't have retractable claws. That and they are the fastest mammal on land reaching speeds of up to 120 km/h when they want to, oh and they can accelerate to 100 km/h in 3 seconds! These ones didn't look like they were headed anywhere fast though!

The last part of the safari seems to be a mix of plains and jungle animals - we saw some more Rhino's, zebras, and ostrich and more goat/deer like creatures whose names I forget!

And so ended our safari in Orlando!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter