A&E Stampede this morning was insane!!!

I think it's worth pointing out that as crazy as it sounds, they have added a second unit to an attraction to meet demand recently, in the case of Dumbo. They have Belle available to see in either shows or M&G's in three of the four parks, and in multiple locations in some of those parks. You can see Cinderella and Ariel in a half dozen places as well. It's not a crazy idea to have A&E available in multiple locations.

SoccerDogWithEars said:
I think the main reason they didn't keep A&E in Norway is because it's not a proper M&G location. It's a small building that can't accomodate many people, which means the majority of the line is outside, in the sun, blocking some of the pavilion. That's why they moved them. Yes, most of the princesses that meet in Epcot are standing outside, but the line is rarely, if ever, longer than maybe 30 minutes. If they can find an alternate location for the sisters, they may offer them in more than one park, but for right now Norway just isn't a feasible option as the weather gets warmer.

I think it has been mentioned that there is a big empty building at Epcot that would hold many guest inside.

I think it's worth pointing out that as crazy as it sounds, they have added a second unit to an attraction to meet demand recently, in the case of Dumbo. They have Belle available to see in either shows or M&G's in three of the four parks, and in multiple locations in some of those parks. You can see Cinderella and Ariel in a half dozen places as well. It's not a crazy idea to have A&E available in multiple locations.

Not to mention that Jasmine currently meets in THREE MK locations (CRT, Adventureland, and PFH), in addition to meeting in regularly in Epcot and occasionally at DHS as a part of Characterpalooza.

Disney is irrational when it comes to character meetings, IMO. They took Belle out of CRT when ETWB opened...but Ariel stayed at CRT even when her grotto opened. Cinderella, Snow White, and Aurora were all meeting at PFH at the same time they were doing meals right next door at CRT or dancing on stage during the castle show, or waving to the crowds in the parade. Most of the Akershus princesses also meet out in the WS. Yet Disney steadfastly refused to put Rapunzel in a second location even though her lines were consistently an hour or more for years. Same thing with Merida. And now we have the same thing with Anna & Elsa. I know they can't just throw characters out without training, but you'd think that they'd have bunches and bunches of A&Es cast by now, considering the popularity of the movie and the lines that were consistently long for months when they were in Epcot. I wish someone would explain the thinking, because from an outsider's view, it just makes no sense. You can't hide behind "trying to protect the magic" when you do so many other things that put the magic in harm's way.

Exactly, thank you. Thats my point. You can't do much about dashing for a ride since it takes such an incredibly long time to plan and build a ride. Not so with characters. You can't tell me there arent like 10 back up Anna and Elsa's. Plus, why not have a Kristoff and Olaf? At least the lines would be more reasonable...

My understanding is that they have been having issues casting them, especially Elsa, so I really don't think they have 10 back-up sets.

I think that is part of why it took them so long to move them to Fairy Tale Hall - because in Fairy Tale hall there are two meeting rooms for each side, so there are two sets of A&E working at all times now vs. the one when they were at Norway

Call me cynical (or anything else you'd like--it won't be the first time), but is there even a tiny possibility that they might WANT the demand to stay insanely high--and at MK--through the first few months of Mine Train opening craziness??

I don't understand the dropped ball on the merch, and if it's a supplier/manufacturer issue versus a Disney planning issue, I would think they'd have laid down some blame by now to deflect some of the bad press. Or maybe there really is no such thing as bad press.

I agree with this whole post.

I don't think any of it is really a problem. The only problem is that something like Anna & Else ranks on the list of things some parents want to provide their kids. Of all the things you could spend time/money on providing for your children...multiple hours waiting for a fake autograph should be very low on the list considering you're already on a very nice and pricey vacation.

Because it is a very nice and pricey vacation there shouldn't be exhobitantly long lines.

I don't really understand this viewpoint. The wait for Space Mountain has been long for...almost all the time...since it was built. They never created a second one to "adjust for demand".

The way I see this viewpoint as different is that it would cost unknown amounts (millions? hundreds of thousands?) to create a second ride. BUT...it would really only be a very small amount to decorate another location for a second meet and greet for whomever is "the" character. Anyone remember when Tangled first came out the lines were 2 to 3 hours long for her and Flynn.....not quite as ridiculous as for the Frozen gals, but still day in and day out for hours and hours.....would certainly seem relatively easy to set up more than one room. For that matter...Cindy and Rapunzel are in the room next door....why not remove them for a few hours a day and just have a second entrance for Frozen.....you could still keep the "secret" from young children....they aren't paying any attention to others in line, and who's to say that the left line isn't finished when we're in going in from the right line?

Personally, I think some of the fascination with them is simply because it has the perception that it is "THE" thing to do. We have FP+ to see them next month, otherwise we simply wouldn't. We waited over a year to visit Rapunzel because 2 hours for anything was too much, even my favorite rides, and 2 hours for a 5 minute meet and greet was just not important for my family (thank heavens, because I DO understand the need of children to hug their favorite character.....but thankfully when my girls were young enough that this was almighty important, the lines were very short. )

I'm proud to say that I made the mad dash at rope drop on the very first day that PFH was open and we were the first ones in the new attraction on opening day. Of course A&E weren't there yet but it was still sort of a rush for us. Good Times.

Call me cynical (or anything else you'd like--it won't be the first time), but is there even a tiny possibility that they might WANT the demand to stay insanely high--and at MK--through the first few months of Mine Train opening craziness??

I don't understand the dropped ball on the merch, and if it's a supplier/manufacturer issue versus a Disney planning issue, I would think they'd have laid down some blame by now to deflect some of the bad press. Or maybe there really is no such thing as bad press.

I don't think that is cynical at all ... Disney definitely wants the demand to be high and be seen as having a "hot" attractions.

I am a NY Mets fan and when they built their current stadium they purposely built it smaller than their old stadium to help make it a harder ticket to get.

I think it is similar thinking as to why construction projects at Disney seem to take so long. Why rush things when you can take your time and have more of an incentive for people to come back

Not to mention that Jasmine currently meets in THREE MK locations (CRT, Adventureland, and PFH), in addition to meeting in regularly in Epcot and occasionally at DHS as a part of Characterpalooza.

Disney is irrational when it comes to character meetings, IMO. They took Belle out of CRT when ETWB opened...but Ariel stayed at CRT even when her grotto opened. Cinderella, Snow White, and Aurora were all meeting at PFH at the same time they were doing meals right next door at CRT or dancing on stage during the castle show, or waving to the crowds in the parade. Most of the Akershus princesses also meet out in the WS. Yet Disney steadfastly refused to put Rapunzel in a second location even though her lines were consistently an hour or more for years. Same thing with Merida. And now we have the same thing with Anna & Elsa. I know they can't just throw characters out without training, but you'd think that they'd have bunches and bunches of A&Es cast by now, considering the popularity of the movie and the lines that were consistently long for months when they were in Epcot. I wish someone would explain the thinking, because from an outsider's view, it just makes no sense. You can't hide behind "trying to protect the magic" when you do so many other things that put the magic in harm's way.

Well, first I don't think they have bunches of A&E as they have been having issues casting them (especially Elsa). Also, I think they try to be careful and not have the same character meeting in more than one location at the same time within the same park. I know, for example, if a character is in a parade they stop having that character meet while the parade is going on so as to not make it appear he or she is in two places at once. I don't think this holds true for the meals though (i.e. CRT)

That said, I don't think it would "destroy the fantasy" if they had them as visiting princesses in FTH as well as in Norway in EPCOT

Not cynical and absolutely true. You know what's a good way to combat Diagon Alley? Forcing your guests to spend an entire day waiting for Anna and Elsa, making it less likely that family is going to even get to Universal.

Just wait until they add people running for the Mine Train.

Surely they could have seen all of this coming.

Its going to be a nightmare. Good thing i'm not going anytime soon. Even if they didn't see it coming, they know about it now. I hope they do something before someone gets hurt.

I Don't think it's a question of acting like A&E being difficult.

I think it's a question of finding enough girls......in the central Florida area....in the right age ranges...willing to work for the money Disney pays.

Then Disney better start paying a little better! There's no excuse for this.

Wooooowww

I'm curious as to what the scene will be like in that area once the Mine Train opens. I assume that most of the people will be doing the running of the bulls to the MT and some to A&E.

Maybe the lines for A&E will get shorter, or maybe the crowds will be two times worse :scared1:

I think they should be available in several parks. I know people talk about how it will ruin the magic if kids think there are more than one but kids can't be in two places at once anyway.

I think the thing about the exorbitant line-waiting that affects me (while not really affecting me personally) is that it is an eye opener to see the lengths to which people will go to please their child(ren). While it makes no difference to me how anyone else decides to vacation, this behavior brings up some unresolved feelings that I can identify with as a parent in this generation.

I think many people parenting in this generation (of which I also belong) are driven by our passion to give so much to our children, to provide them with the best shot at a great life as possible. This extends far beyond bending over backwards to manage a meet and greet with Disney princesses but to investing in everything from Baby Einstein and baby sign language to sports and music camps and training all in the name of providing them with an edge over others. It is akin to the Keeping Up With the Joneses phenomenon too, where so many of my kids' friends' instagram accounts are filled with pics of their recent shopping purchases (all from name brand stores), expensive phones, electronics, shoes, their stash of $20-$40 pairs of socks (this is an athlete thing, I think!), vacations multiple times a year, etc.

I realize getting to meet Anna & Elsa won't give children an "edge" over others but wanting to provide our children with everything we can seems to come from the same place as that desire does -- the hope that our children are happy now and grow into happy, successful adults. There is a cultural phenomenon that we don't want them to suffer hardship and that by protecting them from disappointment, they will be happier now and as adults.

I am simply expressing my thoughts about the culture of parenting as a whole (not individually) in this generation. I am not judging, as I too, am a parent that can be found expending plenty of time, thought, energy, effort and money on helping my kids pursue things that will benefit them not only now, but in the future.

These are all generalizations and I'm sure there are plenty of individual examples to refute my thoughts. But on the whole, I do think we, as parents today, tend to step over the line of overindulgent tendencies when it comes to our kids than parents of previous generations. We want a good relationship with our children. We want them to have happy memories of childhood with engaged, attached relationships with us. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to get this parenting thing right. I don't know if all of this will make this generation of children grow up to be better, happier, more successful adults or not. But I do think even on an unconscious level, the desire to give our kids all their heart's desire, definitely plays into the decision many parents make when they step into a five hour line for a meet and greet.

P.S.
I also realize there are plenty of people who want to see A&E that are not parents and there are plenty of adults (parents or not) that want to see A&E that also choose to stand in the long lines, and this doesn't necessarily apply to them.

Right cause crazy parents are unique to this current millennial generation...

Cabbage Patch Craze 1982
http://thecrapspot.blogspot.com/2006/04/cabbage-patch-craze-injured-2-in-1982.html?m=1

Elmo Craze 1996
http://www.businessinsider.com/marketing-lessons-tickle-me-elmo-2011-12

Not cynical and absolutely true. You know what's a good way to combat Diagon Alley? Forcing your guests to spend an entire day waiting for Anna and Elsa, making it less likely that family is going to even get to Universal.

There's also the "hype" factor to take into account. WDW wants A&E/7DMT to be perceived as the "in" place to be. They'll need a lot of residual hype to combat the hype when Diagon Alley opens. If lines are short for those attractions, the perception of it no longer being in such high demand will have an impact.

We actually stumbled across Tickle Me Elmo at Toys R Us early that season. We had never heard of it, but thought he was adorable and perfect for our 18 month old son that Christmas. I couldn't believe the hype I heard described in the following months. But we still thought he was cute enough to keep. I think he's in a plastic bag in the attic now. Sigh. How I wish now we had sold it and added the money to his college fund. He could use that to buy a textbook. Or three. :p

Well, first I don't think they have bunches of A&E as they have been having issues casting them (especially Elsa). Also, I think they try to be careful and not have the same character meeting in more than one location at the same time within the same park. I know, for example, if a character is in a parade they stop having that character meet while the parade is going on so as to not make it appear he or she is in two places at once. I don't think this holds true for the meals though (i.e. CRT)

That said, I don't think it would "destroy the fantasy" if they had them as visiting princesses in FTH as well as in Norway in EPCOT

why is it so hard to cast Elsa...to me she has more of generic look than Anna does:confused3:confused3

why is it so hard to cast Elsa...to me she has more of generic look than Anna does:confused3:confused3

because they have to find someone to make snow come out of her hands ;)

Thankfully, even though we like the movie, my kids are not that interested in going to see them.

Kirsten

Oh my gosh, I had no idea it was a mad dash at rope drop. Craziness!!

I was thrilled when they opened up more FP+ the day after they moved to MK. I was able to score them for our whole party and it was only 10 days before our trip. I was not looking forward to standing in line all day, my daughter is obsessed with A&E and all things frozen so for us it was #1 fast pass to get. She’s almost 8 and knows they are not real but she’s so looking forward to it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter