A&E Stampede this morning was insane!!!

I think the thing about the exorbitant line-waiting that affects me (while not really affecting me personally) is that it is an eye opener to see the lengths to which people will go to please their child(ren). While it makes no difference to me how anyone else decides to vacation, this behavior brings up some unresolved feelings that I can identify with as a parent in this generation.

I think many people parenting in this generation (of which I also belong) are driven by our passion to give so much to our children, to provide them with the best shot at a great life as possible. This extends far beyond bending over backwards to manage a meet and greet with Disney princesses but to investing in everything from Baby Einstein and baby sign language to sports and music camps and training all in the name of providing them with an edge over others. It is akin to the Keeping Up With the Joneses phenomenon too, where so many of my kids' friends' instagram accounts are filled with pics of their recent shopping purchases (all from name brand stores), expensive phones, electronics, shoes, their stash of $20-$40 pairs of socks (this is an athlete thing, I think!), vacations multiple times a year, etc.

I realize getting to meet Anna & Elsa won't give children an "edge" over others but wanting to provide our children with everything we can seems to come from the same place as that desire does -- the hope that our children are happy now and grow into happy, successful adults. There is a cultural phenomenon that we don't want them to suffer hardship and that by protecting them from disappointment, they will be happier now and as adults.

I am simply expressing my thoughts about the culture of parenting as a whole (not individually) in this generation. I am not judging, as I too, am a parent that can be found expending plenty of time, thought, energy, effort and money on helping my kids pursue things that will benefit them not only now, but in the future.

These are all generalizations and I'm sure there are plenty of individual examples to refute my thoughts. But on the whole, I do think we, as parents today, tend to step over the line of overindulgent tendencies when it comes to our kids than parents of previous generations. We want a good relationship with our children. We want them to have happy memories of childhood with engaged, attached relationships with us. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to get this parenting thing right. I don't know if all of this will make this generation of children grow up to be better, happier, more successful adults or not. But I do think even on an unconscious level, the desire to give our kids all their heart's desire, definitely plays into the decision many parents make when they step into a five hour line for a meet and greet.

P.S.
I also realize there are plenty of people who want to see A&E that are not parents and there are plenty of adults (parents or not) that want to see A&E that also choose to stand in the long lines, and this doesn't necessarily apply to them.

Many are not going to tell their kids no AND they are going to wait in that line.
Well, as Jeff Lebowski said: "and that's cool... that's, that's cool."

But, even if your kid REALLY REALLY wants to see A&E, you don't actually HAVE to. Your tickets won't be revoked. You will not lose your Disney Parks street cred. You might even still have a fine vacation!

But, even if your kid REALLY REALLY wants to see A&E, you don't actually HAVE to. Your tickets won't be revoked. You will not lose your Disney Parks street cred. You might even still have a fine vacation!

And I've never suggested that it wouldn't be okay. We once went for five days and maybe only rode ten rides. Still had a great time.

I did rope drop both today (Sunday) and yesterday. Was outside the train station about 8:30 and it was crowded but nothing worse than I've seen before. I had FP+ for A & E for both mornings (9am-10am Sat, and 9:40-10:40am today). We didn't run and opted to do other things before arriving for our A & E meet (we saw them on Easter Sunday as well) but I thought I would share my own experience as far as crowds and wait times. Saturday morning first thing we were stopped on Main Street by Peter Pan, Wendy and Alice who played with my 2 year old DD some. Then after rope drop in Fantasyland we went to Ariel's Grotto, then rode on the Under the Sea ride, then Pooh, stopped to play with the Fantasyland troupe, did a potty break then arrived at PFTH probably by 9:45ish. The wait at that time was 270 for A & E and 20 For C & R. The outer roped queue was somewhat full, but not packed and there was no spillage of the line going out into Fantasyland. It was quite orderly and our FP+ wait time was less than five minutes.

About 40 mins later when we returned to use our FP+ for C & R, The A & E wait time was down to 240 mins and the C & R standby was up to 80 mins.

Around 1pm on Saturday, we passed back by PFTH, and the line for A & E was down to 150 minutes and the queue barely was out of the building into the ropes outside.

This morning (Sunday) we started out in Adventureland. We rode Magic Carpets. Then waited for Aladdin and Jasmine. When they came out (at 9:30am) they rode the Magic Carpets with our daughter (!!!) and then took pics. We went from there to Splash Mountain area and waited to see Jessie and Woody (who met at 10am), then headed to PFTH for our 9:40-10:40 FP+. We probably arrived around 10:15ish and this was what we experienced. 60mins for C & R, and 240 for A & E. Very organized and minimal queue outside. A walk in (5 minute MAX wait in FP for A & E.)

We looked around a store, rode the carrousel and then were able to see C & R with our FP+ for them and had the same wait times posted outside, though our FP+ return time was a bit longer. 10 minutes or so.

I heard from MULTIPLE people throughout both days that later in the afternoon waits for A & E were an hour long. Not sure it that was posted or actual, but I know from what I saw, it did seem as the day went on things seem to get a little less crazy. And while I'm not going to argue with a video, I can say I have alwasy seen a mass crowd outside of MK for rope drop. People always rush to get to where they want to go (the moutains, etc) and so it's not just A & E that are causing people to arrive early and run down main street. And while a few screengrabs look bad of people spilling out around the carrousel in a mass line, I can assure you from 3 visits not to PFTH in MK with A & E in residence, that sight must only exist the very, very first thing in the morning before people can physically walk into the organized queue. I'm sharing my pics just to allow people to see that things are neat and orderly around PFTH and in Fantasyland throughout the day even with the hoards of people coming to meet Anna and Elsa.

Thanks for the report!
I'm glad that once the initial surge is over, that the line is mostly contained inside. It's going to get real hot, real soon and it would be awful for people if they had to wait outside in the sun.

The Frozen phenemenom is crazy! Hoping it dies down before my next planned trip to WDW in about 2 years for my 40th birthday (unless I can somehow convince DH to go before then:goodvibes). My DD4 loves them, knows ALL the words to ALL the songs. DS8 could care less about them. But I have a rule when we go to WDW & the kids know it already....unless its a 30 minute or less wait for the characters, we don't see them in the parks. We do ALOT of character dining, that's how we see the characters. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone :yay: we get to sit down (in the A/C) to eat & meet them. I would love to see them add A&E to the Akerhaus line-up (Drop Belle & make them the headliner for pictures in the lobby) but then those reservations would become very hard to get like Cinderella's Royal Table. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how this plays out!

I still would like to hear from at least one actual, live person who waited for 5 hours at the MK for A&E. I have to believe that the posted wait times are totally over-inflated.

I still would like to hear from at least one actual, live person who waited for 5 hours at the MK for A&E. I have to believe that the posted wait times are totally over-inflated.

True, true. I actually don't recall reading from anyone that has waited that long. I do recall reading about people that waited 2 and 3 hours though.

I think my frustration for disney with the A&E debacle is because I used to be a cm. I drank the juice when they told us the guest (not customer) comes first. You are "on stage". You can't see anything from the outside world when you're in the magic kingdom (Walmart, gas station etc). Everything is a fantasy. Disney wants the guest to submerge completely into this fantasy world and it's awesome. Forget that they're a business. I mean for goodness sake, now with magic bands you don't even need "currency" in the parks. This is a win win all around. They make it easier for the guest to spend money. Anyway, I am disappointed that a company with this much "concern" for their guests wouldn't alieviate the A&E issues immediately. Forget the long lines, which I personally think that if you're all about your guest, you should strive to keep them happy, and the line situation is an easy fix...but for the safety aspects. In Josh's video you see cms with Mickey hands waving at everyone running down a freshly watered Main Street? Really?!? I don't get it. I think this is one of the times that I am reminded oh yeah....it's not just a magical place...they are 100% a money making business. It would make total sense to have more girls. But not meeting them keeps people coming back to meet them another time. Disney has to make sure that guests keep saying "well do that next time"

I've read a lot of posts on here that seem to assume that the adults are waiting 5 hours in a queue because they have a demon drama queen for a child who is stamping their feet and demanding to see A&E. What if it's something they decided to do as a family? Maybe it's the last day of their visit and they've done everything else but meet A&E so have chosen to spend time doing that one last thing because of the FP+ have gone. However, stampeding down Main Street to do it does seem a bit desperate.

What other people choose to do doesn't affect my holiday, what does concern me is the photos of the crowd winding round the park - I hope it's not preventing people from seeing/experiencing other things in the same area..,

I've read a lot of posts on here that seem to assume that the adults are waiting 5 hours in a queue because they have a demon drama queen for a child who is stamping their feet and demanding to see A&E. What if it's something they decided to do as a family? Maybe it's the last day of their visit and they've done everything else but meet A&E so have chosen to spend time doing that one last thing because of the FP+ have gone. However, stampeding down Main Street to do it does seem a bit desperate. What other people choose to do doesn't affect my holiday, what does concern me is the photos of the crowd winding round the park - I hope it's not preventing people from seeing/experiencing other things in the same area..,
I think it's beginning to die down a bit 30 min in 70 min wait. People wait for hours all kinds of things camp out for sport tickets. Yes you'd assume 6 months in their popularity would die down. But adults want to meet them just as much as small children. Just like CRT are there only families with kids there nope. And it will but Rapunzel still got 75-90 during spring break and her movie is 3 years ago. Is it crazy running trampling yes but seriously people do this for all kinds of entertainment and it's not just to spoil a child. My kid loves a & e we had a talk before our trip that the wait might be super long etc. we have Fp for them now but it was what she wanted now we wouldn't trample but we were going to run or skip preopening ADR so we had either way. The truth is most people have never been to dw or will never go so I feel we should enjoy and not judge what people are choosing to wait in line for.

I've read a lot of posts on here that seem to assume that the adults are waiting 5 hours in a queue because they have a demon drama queen for a child who is stamping their feet and demanding to see A&E. What if it's something they decided to do as a family? Maybe it's the last day of their visit and they've done everything else but meet A&E so have chosen to spend time doing that one last thing because of the FP+ have gone. However, stampeding down Main Street to do it does seem a bit desperate.

What other people choose to do doesn't affect my holiday, what does concern me is the photos of the crowd winding round the park - I hope it's not preventing people from seeing/experiencing other things in the same area..,

Well said. If I return to WDW any time soon, it will be as a reward to my 10 year old daughter who overcame a lot of early adversity this school year and worked hard to catch up and have a good year. She's as enthralled with Frozen as any other 10 year old girl and I know that if we were at WDW meeting Anna & Elsa would be her number one priority. I know that IF we encountered a dangerous rope drop mob, or a 5 hour wait, or the MDE monster ate our FastPass and WDW told us "you'll have to reschedule it (as if you could)", then I would probably tell her that she couldn't meet them and she would be disappointed but would accept it. She would settle for seeing them in the parade, if their rotating float had them turned our way as they went by. But if she was willing to wait it out on a trip that was her reward I might just decide to do it with her.

Fortunately for me, she's just as thrilled to go to the beach, the aquarium, or any of a half dozen other vacation destinations, so I can wait it out until WDW fixes the A&E situation or it resolves itself.

for the people who are run/walking there first thing after rope drop, how long did you wait right away in the morning?

Yes. The one thing that my daughter really, really, really wanted to do on our first WDW trip ever, and as far as she knew our only trip ever (in fact we will likely be back within the next couple years) was to meet A and E. I started prepping her before the trip that it just might not be able to happen. I told her that so many people wanted to meet them, that the lines were very, very long. I checked out the line in Epcot a few times, but I just couldn't see waiting in the hot sun for two hours. Even though she really wanted to meet them. Even though I really wanted to meet them. I'm a HUGE fan of Frozen. I think it's the best Disney movie that's come out in years and years, and Elsa's character really struck a chord with me. Both of my kids sing the songs all day long. But two or more hours of precious WDW time in the hot sun without being able to sit down? I just couldn't do it.

One thing that helped was not telling her that they would be in the FOF parade. It was a complete surprise, and when Anna waved at her, she was over the moon.

She still says wistfully, "I wish I could have met Anna and Elsa, mom." And I remind her that they waved to her in the parade, and how long the line was, and she says "Maybe next time..." and that's it. And we still had a great time on our trip, and she knows it.

I think the thing about the exorbitant line-waiting that affects me (while not really affecting me personally) is that it is an eye opener to see the lengths to which people will go to please their child(ren). While it makes no difference to me how anyone else decides to vacation, this behavior brings up some unresolved feelings that I can identify with as a parent in this generation./QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I am guilty of providing my children with opportunities that I couldn't of dreamed of as a child, but I would never agree to wait more than 60 minutes to meet a character. And I hope by doing so I am teaching my kids that wants and needs are not the same. I do recognize that I might be in the minority of parents, but am still stunned that anyone would enter a line with a 270 minutes wait posted.

Yeah, it's always a relief when I remember that I don't have to do the things I wanted to do on vacation.

I think the thing about the exorbitant line-waiting that affects me (while not really affecting me personally) is that it is an eye opener to see the lengths to which people will go to please their child(ren). While it makes no difference to me how anyone else decides to vacation, this behavior brings up some unresolved feelings that I can identify with as a parent in this generation.

I think many people parenting in this generation (of which I also belong) are driven by our passion to give so much to our children, to provide them with the best shot at a great life as possible. This extends far beyond bending over backwards to manage a meet and greet with Disney princesses but to investing in everything from Baby Einstein and baby sign language to sports and music camps and training all in the name of providing them with an edge over others. It is akin to the Keeping Up With the Joneses phenomenon too, where so many of my kids' friends' instagram accounts are filled with pics of their recent shopping purchases (all from name brand stores), expensive phones, electronics, shoes, their stash of $20-$40 pairs of socks (this is an athlete thing, I think!), vacations multiple times a year, etc.

I realize getting to meet Anna & Elsa won't give children an "edge" over others but wanting to provide our children with everything we can seems to come from the same place as that desire does -- the hope that our children are happy now and grow into happy, successful adults. There is a cultural phenomenon that we don't want them to suffer hardship and that by protecting them from disappointment, they will be happier now and as adults.

I am simply expressing my thoughts about the culture of parenting as a whole (not individually) in this generation. I am not judging, as I too, am a parent that can be found expending plenty of time, thought, energy, effort and money on helping my kids pursue things that will benefit them not only now, but in the future.

These are all generalizations and I'm sure there are plenty of individual examples to refute my thoughts. But on the whole, I do think we, as parents today, tend to step over the line of overindulgent tendencies when it comes to our kids than parents of previous generations. We want a good relationship with our children. We want them to have happy memories of childhood with engaged, attached relationships with us. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to get this parenting thing right. I don't know if all of this will make this generation of children grow up to be better, happier, more successful adults or not. But I do think even on an unconscious level, the desire to give our kids all their heart's desire, definitely plays into the decision many parents make when they step into a five hour line for a meet and greet.

P.S.
I also realize there are plenty of people who want to see A&E that are not parents and there are plenty of adults (parents or not) that want to see A&E that also choose to stand in the long lines, and this doesn't necessarily apply to them.

I agree with this whole post.

I don't think any of it is really a problem. The only problem is that something like Anna & Else ranks on the list of things some parents want to provide their kids. Of all the things you could spend time/money on providing for your children...multiple hours waiting for a fake autograph should be very low on the list considering you're already on a very nice and pricey vacation.

I don't really understand this viewpoint. The wait for Space Mountain has been long for...almost all the time...since it was built. They never created a second one to "adjust for demand".

My point is only that these are characters and you can have more than one set going at a time. As another poster pointed out I dont understand why they didnt keep them at Epcot as well as having them at MK. Might cut down on some of the craziness. A ride is a bit different because you can't just make another one. All this availability limiting seems excessive and is about the same with the merchandising. I mean, forget about getting your kid anything Frozen related from the Disney stores and even Walmart and Target don't have squat (there's a whole thread on the Family Planning section about this issue). There has been time to adjust for this IMO.

They wouldn't create a second identical ride to adjust to demand. But it's crazy that they haven't found a better way to deal with the crowds. Find more "friends" for Anna and Elsa. Have them meet at MK and EPCOT, have them meeting at Town Square (to minimise the "dash" to Fantasyland) The line could already be forming before park opening - MUCH safer than the run to the back of the park, get people to line up and offer them an older paper FP return time. Few people would choose to stand in a line than long but they could come back during their return time. Similar to FP+. Offer no prebooked FP+ and just offer the paper FP at the parks.

Exactly, thank you. Thats my point. You can't do much about dashing for a ride since it takes such an incredibly long time to plan and build a ride. Not so with characters. You can't tell me there arent like 10 back up Anna and Elsa's. Plus, why not have a Kristoff and Olaf? At least the lines would be more reasonable...

My point is only that these are characters and you can have more than one set going at a time. As another poster pointed out I dont understand why they didnt keep them at Epcot as well as having them at MK. Might cut down on some of the craziness. A ride is a bit different because you can't just make another one. All this availability limiting seems excessive and is about the same with the merchandising. I mean, forget about getting your kid anything Frozen related from the Disney stores and even Walmart and Target don't have squat (there's a whole thread on the Family Planning section about this issue). There has been time to adjust for this IMO.

I think the main reason they didn't keep A&E in Norway is because it's not a proper M&G location. It's a small building that can't accomodate many people, which means the majority of the line is outside, in the sun, blocking some of the pavilion. That's why they moved them. Yes, most of the princesses that meet in Epcot are standing outside, but the line is rarely, if ever, longer than maybe 30 minutes. If they can find an alternate location for the sisters, they may offer them in more than one park, but for right now Norway just isn't a feasible option as the weather gets warmer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter