• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Dwarf For Every Emotion: A 2017 Dopey (Grumpy?!) Challenge Trip Report! COMPLETE

Thank goodness for layers! I hate the cold! I ran a 10K on 12/10....18 degree omg awful!
You're off to a good start! I hate the negative thoughts that creep in, especially when you feel a twinge of pain. My biggest fear. So many miles to go....uncertainty if it will pass.
Looking forward to reading the rest!

I’d forgotten that the course had changed since I last ran this race...the route to get into Magic Kingdom was a little different than I remembered.
What was different heading to MK? In 2015 & 2016 it was the same I thought, so just curious. Very smart on all the layers, I read about people & saw a video where they did not have any extra anything waiting, yikes!

I think what I enjoy most about your trip reports is how engaging they are. I mean I know you finish but the suspense is killing me.
Thank you! :)
I'm the same way, all these people who write amazing TRs and then it's like...don't stop THERE! I have to keep reading more. Like they have nothing better to do AFTER they're back from vacation:blush:
I guess I DO sort of have to work to pay for these Disney trips! :)
Following along! Finally caught up! I absolutely love your TRs. I was a long time lurker, reading your race TRs back when I was planning my first GSC in 2015 and now I'm planning (pending registration) on Dopey 2018. I've recently started following you on instagram too because I live vicariously through those who get to go to Disney and do runDisney race I can't be at, and now totally feel like a stalker.. but hi!! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us. I totally get the bashful feeling of meeting new people - that's hard for me too. I can't imagine how I would feel if I showed up for my first Dopey to have the half cancelled. Its been interesting reading people's thoughts on it - I get your relief and having done it before you know you could do it, so it let you focus on the marathon which is great. For someone who hadn't done it before, I just can't imagine. I loveeed your 10k boardwalk sunrise pics - that's where my profile pic came from too. It is such an overwhelming and magical experience running around the boardwalk with the sunrise. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the marathon went for you!!
:wave: Thanks and hi! I totally 100% would have been so upset if the half was my first race or my first Goofy/Dopey, so I totally feel for those who were in that situation!!

Honestly, that sunrise portion during the 10K on the Boardwalk is up there as one of my favorite race experiences from the weekend! I just love that area of WDW.
And you're off. I totally understand the competing feeling of - "What was I thinking? I can't do this" to "I'm going to so rock this run". I had the some conflicting emotions multiple times.

also, how do your phone pictures always look so freaking amazing when it's dark out like that? Mine are always total garbage.

I envy you that hooded sweatshirt. I thought I had on enough layers, but multiple times when I was huddled in that corral I was wishing for a nice thick hooded sweatshirt.
I'm not totally sure but I think part of the key with phone pictures is waiting to let the phone focus on whatever I want the picture to be of...or coming to a complete stop, which is not always practical/a good idea on race courses. Also, my phone has a really good camera, I think, so that helps. :upsidedow

Seriously, note to self: throwaway clothes MUST include a hood of some kind! Makes such a huge difference!
Thank goodness for layers! I hate the cold! I ran a 10K on 12/10....18 degree omg awful!
You're off to a good start! I hate the negative thoughts that creep in, especially when you feel a twinge of pain. My biggest fear. So many miles to go....uncertainty if it will pass.
Looking forward to reading the rest!
18!! Yikes!

Yes, the marathon is SUPER overwhelming that way. I definitely had the thought of, "how am I going to make it 20 more MILES?!" Such a mental battle for me!
What was different heading to MK? In 2015 & 2016 it was the same I thought, so just curious. Very smart on all the layers, I read about people & saw a video where they did not have any extra anything waiting, yikes!
It was something about where mile marker 5 was. In the past I could have sworn mile marker 5 was right at the turn you make when you are turning off of World Drive and are taking the left to go to MK, but this time Mile Marker 5 was AFTER that turn. You can kind of see it if you do a certified course search on USATF's website and compare the new course with the one from 2016. I think there was some stuff that struck me as different just before that turn too, but I can't remember exactly what, and it doesn't look different when I compare the courses (between miles 4 and 5, I mean), so I could be making that up. :upsidedow

Yeah, All I remember is mile marker 5 was at that turn where you see Space Mountain, so it does sound like it moved a bit ahead then. Interesting.

It was something about where mile marker 5 was. In the past I could have sworn mile marker 5 was right at the turn you make when you are turning off of World Drive and are taking the left to go to MK, but this time Mile Marker 5 was AFTER that turn. You can kind of see it if you do a certified course search on USATF's website and compare the new course with the one from 2016. I think there was some stuff that struck me as different just before that turn too, but I can't remember exactly what, and it doesn't look different when I compare the courses (between miles 4 and 5, I mean), so I could be making that up. :upsidedow

YES! You are so right! When we made the turn and I didn't see the sign, I almost had a small panic that I was going crazy. And for some reason, this is the first time I saw an awesome view of Space Mountain coming up before the turn (I remember *something* being different in this area but can't put my finger on it at the moment).

Count me in on the crowd of "HEY, where's the 5 mile marker?" It was always right on the tight curve as you go by Space Mountain. In fact I'm sure I have a mile marker shot from a previous race where you can see Space Mountain in the background. This time it was slightly further on past that turn. But, I really can't think of any point before that in the race that was different either, so not sure what caused the move.

Count me in on the crowd of "HEY, where's the 5 mile marker?" It was always right on the tight curve as you go by Space Mountain. In fact I'm sure I have a mile marker shot from a previous race where you can see Space Mountain in the background. This time it was slightly further on past that turn. But, I really can't think of any point before that in the race that was different either, so not sure what caused the move.

Unless they moved the start line up some... that would be the easiest explanation.

Woohoo the Marathon!

You really layered up! I had three shirts on, my running tights, and shorts. I also had the mylar blanket but thats it.

I heard several people around me when I got to where the 5 marker was be like "Hey! where is mile 5?" Glad you got the mental toughness going and pushed through.

Yeah, All I remember is mile marker 5 was at that turn where you see Space Mountain, so it does sound like it moved a bit ahead then. Interesting.

YES! You are so right! When we made the turn and I didn't see the sign, I almost had a small panic that I was going crazy. And for some reason, this is the first time I saw an awesome view of Space Mountain coming up before the turn (I remember *something* being different in this area but can't put my finger on it at the moment).

Unless they moved the start line up some... that would be the easiest explanation.
YES!! It has always been on the left side of the road and this year it was on the right side. I'm wondering if it was them starting to make up distance somehow that was going to be missing from DHS? I remember thinking something else seemed different before then but I was also a little overwhelmed at that point, so who knows!
Woohoo the Marathon!

You really layered up! I had three shirts on, my running tights, and shorts. I also had the mylar blanket but thats it.

I heard several people around me when I got to where the 5 marker was be like "Hey! where is mile 5?" Glad you got the mental toughness going and pushed through.
Yep! I wasn't taking any chances freezing in the corral beforehand!! :cold: I regret nothing!!

I believe the start line was moved back a bit this year due to road construction around the start line. In previous years, we would reach a spot where some corrals went straight and others turned left. This year, everyone turned left, and we separated much closer to the corrals. I didn't notice any other differences before MK.

Jealous of all the layers you had! I grabbed what was supposed to be my husband's throwaway shirt for the half right before I left to catch the bus for the race. I had that thermal shirt and a hoodie on and I still froze! The funniest thing I saw during the race was people tossing their layers and people going behind them and putting them on for themselves. Marathons must be the only time where we take clothes and food from strangers and are totally grateful for it!

I believe the start line was moved back a bit this year due to road construction around the start line. In previous years, we would reach a spot where some corrals went straight and others turned left. This year, everyone turned left, and we separated much closer to the corrals. I didn't notice any other differences before MK.
Ah, that would explain it. I have a bad habit of not really looking at course maps before races, so that's not something I would have noticed! I did notice the different corral set-up, so at least I wasn't totally oblivious! :upsidedow
Jealous of all the layers you had! I grabbed what was supposed to be my husband's throwaway shirt for the half right before I left to catch the bus for the race. I had that thermal shirt and a hoodie on and I still froze! The funniest thing I saw during the race was people tossing their layers and people going behind them and putting them on for themselves. Marathons must be the only time where we take clothes and food from strangers and are totally grateful for it!
I had been saving up those layers for awhile! I cleaned out my closet and had them in a pile...it sort of felt like overkill when I was packing them into Big Purple, but I was SO happy to have them for the marathon!!

I saw that too with people picking up clothes! When I finally decided to stop for a character someone behind me was picking up something and had a look on her face like, "eh! Not bad!" :rotfl2:

I guess I DO sort of have to work to pay for these Disney trips! :)
Ha YES absolutely!! I just meant when I can snag 43 seconds of time without one of my 5 kids needing me, I try to get a (hot, really even just still warmish) coffee and sit to read. So if I go too fast then I am like NOOOO where's the rest? :rotfl:

I bet that long, hot shower on Saturday felt so good after being in the cold rain!
I love that you kept your Pluto streak alive. And I think it's really great that you listened to your body and what felt right for your 13.1. The cancellation just threw everything off, and whatever people did that day is great in my book, because it had all turned topsy turvy outside of your control!

Oh man! I am in awe of you for getting yourself out there on such a cold morning! I mean the 26.2 miles is intimidating enough, but then to add in that crazy cold . . . All I can say is GO YOU! :cheer2:

Oh what is that movie reference with all of those layers? It's killing me I don't know it!

Also, I LOVE that Laurie Hernandez pumped you up. She is such a rock star.

Ha YES absolutely!! I just meant when I can snag 43 seconds of time without one of my 5 kids needing me, I try to get a (hot, really even just still warmish) coffee and sit to read. So if I go too fast then I am like NOOOO where's the rest? :rotfl:
5 kids! :faint:

Ah yes, reading a TR with coffee in hand is the best!
I bet that long, hot shower on Saturday felt so good after being in the cold rain!
YES, it totally did. :cloud9:
I love that you kept your Pluto streak alive. And I think it's really great that you listened to your body and what felt right for your 13.1. The cancellation just threw everything off, and whatever people did that day is great in my book, because it had all turned topsy turvy outside of your control!
Mickey and Minnie are really my favorites, but Pluto was definitely the start this weekend. :lovestruc

Agreed - totally out of our control! At this point, I am at peace with what I did that day/that weekend. I did my best! :)
Oh man! I am in awe of you for getting yourself out there on such a cold morning! I mean the 26.2 miles is intimidating enough, but then to add in that crazy cold . . . All I can say is GO YOU! :cheer2:
:yay: Thanks! I did a couple of longer runs in worse conditions (colder and windier) so once I got going during the marathon, the weather didn't bother me that much. Waiting in the corrals was the worst part!
Oh what is that movie reference with all of those layers? It's killing me I don't know it!
The Christmas Story :crazy2: Blech!!
Also, I LOVE that Laurie Hernandez pumped you up. She is such a rock star.
SHE IS!! :lovestruc Oh my gosh I just love her. She is so adorable!!

Walt Disney World Marathon! Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom

I thought maybe it would make the whole race seem more approachable to divide it up into chunks - smaller milestones that I would hit one by one - rather than thinking about alllll 26.2 miles. 26.2 is pretty overwhelming. So we were approaching the first significant part of the race - the Magic Kingdom!
31535737182_7e3c3bbcda.jpg

This part of the course never fails to put a smile on my face. They have us go backstage first and then we enter the park near the Chapeau...and then there’s the Christmas tree and the spectators and it clicks - OMG, I’m running down Main Street USA! :banana:

32229157835_919948714c_z.jpg

Evidently I’d ditched my throwaway gloves by now!

31853513250_6d2ca78bc0_z.jpg

The course takes a right into Tomorrowland. Buzz was out and I skipped him. Then we went into Fantasyland (Tweedles out by Mad Tea Party, also skipped) and into New Fantasyland! New part of the course for me!

31418905393_bbc269572e_z.jpg

The Beast was out...I skipped him.

Next up, the course goes through the castle (no pictures, sadly). I was disappointed that I was still wearing a throwaway shirt since my bib number would be covered (so my on-course photos wouldn't match up to my account), so this happened during pretty much all of my MK time. I can assure you that I didn’t run with my eyes closed the entire time, though. :) And I don’t think my strategy to make my bib visible really worked all that well because this is the only Magic Kingdom picture I have from PhotoPass.

32120921961_553a34a270_z.jpg

I saw the Country Bears out before the course took us through Frontierland, up near Big Thunder. That was another new-to-me part that I liked.

31418911503_cc92ba7f4f_z.jpg

From there, we headed backstage. The steampunk Maleficent float and...dancers, I guess you’d call them?...were out for pictures with a huge line, and I passed them up.

Last edited:
The next part of the course is pretty bad. It’s sad to leave the Magic Kingdom and all of the runners are crammed into one lane to run in (“Cone Alley” - thousands of cones from some local place called Bob’s Barricades mark the lane. Must be a profitable weekend for Bob!) on Floridian Way. Yuck!! :crazy2:
32080340552_0952cf6941_z.jpg

The Mary Poppins penguins were out in front of the Grand Floridian. Some day I’ll stop for them!

32110486021_2298b6abc9_z.jpg

I was hoping for a good, classic character in golf gear near the golf courses, but it was Vacation Genie instead. I had just met him in November, so I passed him up. I decided it was time to put the sunglasses on as we were approaching the Poly.

32080323022_9bc1e67086_z.jpg

We took a right onto Bear Island Road next and were now heading toward my next big milestone (Mile Marker 10 - double digits! :yay:). And I finally found a character to stop for! It was getting really hard to run in my layers, so while waiting in line I took the time to ditch my fleece pullover and one pair of leggings. I felt I was moving better immediately!

Wolf pack!

32110507881_d944b0562f_z.jpg

And Mile Marker 10! My next big milestone that I needed to make it to was Animal Kingdom, and the halfway point! :banana:

31853521890_ca843a1a35_z.jpg

Extreme low point after this mile marker - the out & back that would NEVER END. :faint: Oh man, it seemed like it went on forever. It seriously took me like 15 minutes to complete this out & back - I was keeping the pace pretty relaxed today but MAN! This was another change to the course to make up the mileage we would be missing with the DHS construction - I was not a fan of this change!

32110488721_56aa88dc8a_z.jpg

I’m sure I’m forgetting some characters in here...Clarabelle and Horace had no line (literally, zero people stopping) out near Disney’s horticulture storage location, for lack of a better term, so I stopped for them!

32239599575_02cf3fee7a_z.jpg

Disney also had a set-up with classic ride vehicles somewhere in here (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Mr. Toad and others I know I’m forgetting) and a big bus with an ad for Dr. Strange on it that they had out for Wine & Dine. I rolled my eyes at it during Wine & Dine and I rolled my eyes at it again here today! That doesn't count as on-course entertainment, Disney!!

31418896913_b6b7549e63_z.jpg

Up next: Animal Kingdom and the halfway point!! :yay:

Last edited:
I did a couple of longer runs in worse conditions (colder and windier) so once I got going during the marathon, the weather didn't bother me that much. Waiting in the corrals was the worst part!

I've run in colder races (half marathons), but I usually dressed more warmly for those. The result here was the first race where I (a) wasn't covered in sweat at the end, and (b) stayed fully hydrated the whole way through.

pixiedust:TMI WARNING: I still had straw colored pee at the end of the race. That had never happened before!

Last edited:
We also didn't have many pictures in Magic Kingdom, so it may not have been a bib problem and just more a lack of photographers. We have a race shot in about the same place you have yours and then with Chris coming down the ramp after the castle, but that was it (and both our bibs were showing by that point), so I'm thinking they just didn't have that many photographers out. I totally forgot about Clarabelle and Horace being out. We ended up on the wrong side of the road by the time we saw them and no safe way to cut over to them or we would have stopped for sure!

Super cute shot with BBW!

I've run in colder races (half marathons), but I usually dressed more warmly for those. The result here was the first race where I (a) wasn't covered in sweat at the end, and (b) stayed fully hydrated the whole way through.
AGREED!! The wind and the corral wait was tough but I would MUCH prefer the conditions we had that day to some of the marathons I had run at WDW in the past (head advisory in 2013, for example). I pretty much had zero cramping or anything during this one and I recovered pretty quickly, and I really think the cooler weather was a huge factor in that. Granted, I'm from Ohio, so to me it wasn't that bad once we actually got going.
pixiedust:TMI WARNING:pixiedust: I still had straw colored pee at the end of the race. That had never happened before!
Hey, running is a gross sport! :wizard: We talk about these things. :teeth:
We also didn't have many pictures in Magic Kingdom, so it may not have been a bib problem and just more a lack of photographers. We have a race shot in about the same place you have yours and then with Chris coming down the ramp after the castle, but that was it (and both our bibs were showing by that point), so I'm thinking they just didn't have that many photographers out. I totally forgot about Clarabelle and Horace being out. We ended up on the wrong side of the road by the time we saw them and no safe way to cut over to them or we would have stopped for sure!

Super cute shot with BBW!
GAH, what is with that?! I was disappointed not to have a castle shot - I don't think I figured out that I should pull up my fleece when I was going down Main Street USA but I had definitely figured it out before the castle. :sad: Oh well, I look all frumpy in the layers anyway...

I felt bad for Clarabelle and Horace! They weren't getting a lot of love when I went by!

I think that was my first time meeting the BBW. My brother and I met the 3 Little Pigs during the 2012 marathon but not the BBW - super obscure characters for sure! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter