A duck pushed me, a goofy dude put his foot out, a mouse took my money - Trip Report.

Vincent405

Mouseketeer
Our ensemble consisted of me, my DW, and DD4 princess:.

Background of the trip - Our daughter would be starting school next year and we thought if we wanted to take her, it would be easier to do so before she started school. I had never been to Disney and my wife had been a long time ago and really didn’t remember much.

So, I started planning back in June and we came up with December being a good time to visit. So, our trip dates were to leave Baltimore on December 12th and return on December 19th. After talking to several people, including a friend who had stayed there a few times, and reading these boards, we decided to stay at the Grand Floridian. We figured we’d be in MK most of the time and therefore, wanted a monorail resort. Looking back, while the resort was nice, I wish we had stayed at the Contemporary since the monorail was not very cooperative when we were there :headache::mad:. And, by not cooperative I mean it either wasn’t working or broke down more than once. The one day we had breakfast at the Contemporary (Chef Mickey’s - blah:crazy2:) we walked over to MK in 10-15 minutes and would have loved to have that option. I received a 40% off room pin code so resort selection was easier, but we couldn’t get free dining with that, although we did do the dining plan. (And I lost weight on it too, must have been all that yummy food :sad2::laughing:). I planned several table service/character meals since I wanted to make sure my daughter got to meet several characters. This turned out to be good since we got hosed while waiting for Chip and Dale on day 1 and my daughter had little interest in waiting in character lines after that.:mad:

Here’s the run down of which park we planned to visit each day:

Sunday the 12th - Arrive, stay near resort or MK, dinner at 1900 Park Fare
Monday the 13th - Animal Kingdom, breakfast at Tusker House, Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise at night
Tuesday the 14th - MK, breakfast at Crystal Palace
Wednesday the 15th - Epcot, Norway and the Princesses for lunch, Cinderella’s Castle for dinner (Originally we had this dinner on Thursday, but MVMCP put the kibosh on that)
Thursday the 16th - DHS, lunch at Park and Vine
Friday the 17th - MK and breakfast at Chef Mickey’s
Saturday the 18th - MK, no ADR’s

I ordered the planning DVD from Disney, bought the Unofficial Guide, read these boards and others, and tried to prepare as best I could. I did a decent planning job, but having been there, I would do some things different. Like where we stayed, where we ate, and what we did -;):rolleyes: but other than that..... I went through a travel agent to book the trip. I did end up booking two of the ADRs myself after stalking the reservation system for a bit to get them. One thing I was very surprised by was how close things were to each other. I am in decent shape and walking doesn’t bother me, and we did walk a good amount, but I never felt that things were far apart or took long to get to in each park. Getting to the park and back to the resort was another issue. We are generally early risers, so I figured we’d make several rope drops, or arrive soon after the rope hit the ground.

So, away we go with my attempt at a trip report. I'll answer any questions along the way as I can.

Day 1 Travel Day Plus

We were up at 5:00 am and out the door at 6:25 for our 8:35 flight out of Baltimore on Southwest. Airport checkin was fine, we checked three bags. The line for security was not bad at all. The flight was bumpy and we landed a little late, but it could have been worse. When we landed, it was cloudy and a little cool and rain was expected. I knew where to go for Magical Express, but I wish there had been a sign when you go and get the tram to ensure we were going the right way. We didn’t get lost or wander around, it just would have been nice to have the reassurance. We finally got to ME, but it was a bit of a trek through the airport. The lines were very long. One bus came and let for the Grand, another came and I wasn’t sure they were going to have room for us. Well..:rolleyes1..... they didn’t and we were the first people in line for the next bus. Overall, we waited about 45 minutes or more. Not a great start. Then just as we began to walk toward the bus, it started to rain and got very windy - hmmm thought I, was this the shape of things to come?:rolleyes:

I had completed online checkin and there was only 1 person ahead of me. As I was waiting, some friends of our from home texted that they were at the Grand looking for us to meet for our planned lunch. I turned around, and they were walking up. The checkin went fine, I asked for a microwave and they said no problem. The room wasn’t ready, but I didn’t expect it to be. While waiting for ME, I got a text that out groceries from Garden Grocer had been delivered and back in Baltimore at the airport, I got a text from Magic Strollers that our stroller had been delivered. I mentioned both to the desk CM and he said yup, they were there and being held.

We were assigned room 8525 in Boca Chica (I think that was the building). We had the park view I reserved and also over looked the lagoon with the Contemporary across the way. We went to have lunch in Gasprialla’s but found that it was very crowded because of the rain, went back into the main building and tried the Café, but with no ADR, that was a no go. So, we went back to the quick service and one of our friends stalked a table while the rest of us got food. This was our first dining plan use, and it went fine. Lunch was as expected, slightly above McD’s quality. I played a few arcade games with DD4 and also got a text that our room was ready. So, we finished up, said goodbye to our friends, and headed to the front desk to get the bag I had left with them, the stroller, and arrange for the grocers to be brought up. I also figured I’d check on the checked/ME luggage.

Bell services was very good and we ended up getting a ride on a golf cart to first get the ME luggage which was sitting out front (2 of 3 bags anyway), then we got the groceries, then got a ride over to the building. The CM got everything into the room for us and we got settled. The room surprisingly didn’t really have enough storage/dresser space, so we ended up using the shelves in the closet and left a few things in the luggage. While doing all this, our third bag was delivered. It was pretty trashed. Two of the wheels had been broken off, it was very dirty, and I think it had been delivered to the wrong room since one room number had been crossed off and ours written in. I had locked it, so everything was there, just the bag was a goner.

We then walked around a bit on the inside and a little outside and waited for our 6:15 ADR at Park Fare. We checked in and waited about 25 minutes before they called us to have a picture taken, with a small Xmas tree and painted Castle background. :rolleyes: Pretty weak. We then waited again in line to go in, but the group in front of us that also had the picture taken and us were in one line and there was another line for non-picture taking people. This was confusing and another guest got mad and thought we all were cutting in line. We explained the situation and he was fine, but they need to do a better job of this and be more organized.

The waiter came over and explained things and before we could even head to the buffet, Drizzella showed up. That encounter/autograph/picture went good, quick, but good. She interacted a little with my DD4, but the place was packed and loud. We then got food, which was generally ok overall, not a place I’d go back to, but the character interaction was ok. Our waiter was good and attentive. Cinderella came next and had a good interaction with my DD4, again quick, but still fine. The Prince came next and was good. DD4 then participated in the parade around the room and clapping/dance with Drizzella.

We were done eating by this point, and I told Bob, our waiter that we had not seen Lady Tremaine or Anastasia. He said the stepmother was a few tables away, and he’d check on Anastasia. The stepmother soon came over and was actually pretty nice, the manager then came over (without our asking for him) and asked if Anastasia had made her way yet. We said no, and he said that if we finished with the bill and she hadn’t been over, to give him the high sign, and he’d get us a meet. She hadn’t come over, so I gave him the nod, and he gave us the finger :scared1: - no no not that one, he gave us the come over this way index finger motion. Geez you guys. :rotfl:He got Anastasia’s attention and she came over to where we were standing, signed and we took pictures and we were off. I was very impressed by the quick response by the manager and thanked him.

We then went back to the room and got DD4 in bed. We read a little about the next days plans, watched the fireworks from our balcony :thumbsup2, and went to bed.

Good start to your report.. however, now you have ruined your 4 year old for Disney.. Just like my parents did at 7 years of age by staying at the Poly/.. (granted that was in the 70's when ther were 3 hotels to choose from) haha but , now nothing in my mind compares to the Poly.. (just kidding):rotfl2:

5285118105_d32fee0438_b.jpg

This is the view from our room. Picture was taken soon after we got into the room on Sun the 12th looking towards Magic Kingdom. If this picture shows up, I'll post more.

Also visited around the same time (Dec12-17th) with DH and DS (4), interested to see if you ran into any of the same problems (and fun!) that we did! Great report so far! We were basically newbies besides some childhood trips, how about you?

Also visited around the same time (Dec12-17th) with DH and DS (4), interested to see if you ran into any of the same problems (and fun!) that we did! Great report so far! We were basically newbies besides some childhood trips, how about you?

I'd be interested in hearing what you ran into "issue-wise";) My guess is, we may have some common experiences. What was your schedule/plan and where did you stay?

Trip Day 2

Our plan for today was to go to Animal Kingdom. AK was a recommended “avoid” park for this day, but I had planned our itinerary long before I knew about such things and as happens, we had our ADRs set, so some plans were built around those. It was an EMH day at AK, and we planned on taking advantage before our 9:40 Tusker House breakfast. This is one of the ADRs I had stalked the reservation site for and eventually got.

We were up with the “Stitch” walk up call at 6:00 and out the door at 7:15 and over to the bus stop. We just missed a bus, so we waited for the next one. We didn’t wait an excessive amount of time, BUT it was cold! I think it was in the lower 30s with a serious wind. I’m talking blow your house down wind, I’m talking blustery day wind, I’m speaking about not-in-Kansas-anymore wind. :scared1:Ok, maybe not tornado strength, but it was frosty. We had many layers on and I didn’t feel too bad, but I told my DW that once we got to AK, she needed to look for a scarf and blanket for the stroller and DD4. They had gloves and hats, but needed just a little more.

So, we got to AK about 8:15 and it took a minute or two to get through the turnstiles. Not because of the crowd, but because it took a few for the machine to accept our cards after we gave it the finger. You know, finger scan thingy.

5285798710_39f663f839_z.jpg

As soon as we got in and took a few pics of the Xmas tree, I headed to Everest for fast passes for DW and me and they headed to the store right after the entrance. I didn’t do too bad finding my way and thought it was quick to get there. Now, I mentioned above that I am in decent shape and exercise regularly, but I also walk pretty fast, being 6'5" helps me cover a lot of ground too. :thumbsup2I got the FP, our first ones, and headed to our designated meeting place, which was Safari.

5285799988_c93d302016_z.jpg

Blurry FP pic:

5285207021_d162e14e2f.jpg

There was no sign of DW and DD, so I called her and they were just leaving the store. So, I guess I got the FP’s pretty quick and got to Safari in good time. I actually could have ridden Everest a few times as a walk on, but just wanted to go meet them.

5285204441_7885d1a069_z.jpg

They came walking up the path and we found the entrance to Safari, it was a walk on. I parked the stroller, and as I was putting the cord through the back wheels and the lock on, a CM asked me not to lock it since they couldn’t move it if I did. He was nice enough, but firm in his tone. I said they would be able to move it and showed him. He gave me a look but just said ok.

We then rode Safari.

5285803556_793effcc1b_z.jpg

5285804126_42340c06b5_z.jpg

It was too soon for our 9:40 ADR at Tusker, so we went over to Everest to use our fast passes. The standby line was up to about 15-20 min I think, but DW went with the FP and walked straight through to the FP line break. She came back and said she liked it and I was off. Now, I have to say, I am not much of a roller coaster person. I generally like the “roller coaster” experience, but, as mentioned above, I am tall and don’t fit on many rides very comfortably. Usually, what happens is my legs are crunched, my knees get whacked, by back get banged, and I then don’t enjoy it much. I figured at Disney, I’d ride what I would and see how it went. I knew to try and position myself a certain way if it looked like the comfort level would be low.

So, I went through the FP queue up to the line. There was nobody in front of me in the FP line. I saw the ride vehicle and was unsure of the fit. One group left and then we loaded. I got into the vehicle and thought I might be ok fit-wise. I was in the 2nd car. The teenager next to me had a big grin on and I asked if he had ridden it before, he smiled and said it was his 13 time of their trip. It seemed that it would be comfortable enough, but was it...... ?

5285208205_90440d5bfa_z.jpg

Everest turned out to be comfortable enough fit-wise and I liked the ride. So, we then headed over to the Tusker House, checked in and waited about 5 minutes before we were called to take our picture with Donald and get our table. Breakfast was good overall food-wise and the characters each made it to our table and spent plenty of time for autographs and pictures. Not like they stayed a goofed around, but they spent enough time and the restaurant was crowded. We enjoyed the place and would go back. Our waitress was so-so, but not bad enough to make it an issue, I did have to ask someone if they could track her down so we could get the bill and get going though. Being in the warmth and eating hot food was a nice thing since it was still cold and very windy.

After Tusker, we went to see Flights of Wonder. I am a wild bird enthusiast and this was a show I really wanted to see. My DW and DD both like wild birds also so I thought they would like it too. We watched the pre-show outside for a bit and they opened the arena for seating. We got in the 2nd row on the left side of the stage, the first row had reserved for wheelchair signs on it, so we just took the 2nd. Nobody came and sat in the first row, so we had an unobstructed view the whole time.

Soon the birds starting coming out and we were enjoying the show. Now, 10 points to anyone who knows what this is a view of.....

5286206318_d876d5641d_z.jpg

That’s right, I, along with a woman on the other side of the arena, got picked to go up on stage and have the bird fly right over our heads and land on the perch. :woohoo::yay:It was a fun experience. In the picture above, the host was telling us where to focus our camera, turns out she was a little off, but I still got some decent shots.

5285609967_3e899e5099_b.jpg

The next picture of the eagle was after I made my way back to my seat.

5286208198_8e4b00dba3_z.jpg

From there after the show, we hung around and took some pictures, then walked the Pangoni trails. We saw some animals, but others were not out and a handler told us it was because of the cold. We then made our way to Dinoland. I did not realize that you had to pay to play the arcade games in there. DW and DD4 rode Triceratops Spin. DD4 loves arcade games (as long as she wins a prize) and wanted to play a game. I didn’t want us to get trapped in there for too long, but said we would play 1 or 2. I tried to find one I thought she could do the easiest and picked the skee ball game. The three of us played against 2 other people, a teenager and his mom, I think. The teen won and DD wanted to play again. I said ok as we had bought the 5plays for $10 deal. DW and DD played and as soon as the game started, I let DW know that she could rachet the intensity down a bit since it was just the two of them playing this time, she didn’t need to win for DD sake. So, DD4 won and picked a little purple turtle. We told her it was crush and she was very happy.:hug:

We then headed over to see the Lion King, we got caught in a little bit of the crowd coming out of the Nemo show, but made it over in plenty of time. We got in line and got a 2nd row seat.

5286234800_edee3c5b34_z.jpg

5286235856_e86906b8bc_z.jpg

The show was pretty good and when we left we saw Chip and Dale outside doing a meet and greet. The line was 15 or so people and my DD likes them and wanted to go ahead and wait. After about 15-20 minutes we were 4th from the front, when they turned and walked off and then a CM comes over and says they are going on break and would be back in 5 minutes. Now, I understand they need a break, but there should be a rope/cutoff mark/CM stopping people from getting in line or something. (We saw it elsewhere during the trip). :mad:My DD was very unhappy and just wanted to leave. So, we hit a store and snack cart nearby, wandered back though the area and 15 minutes later, still no Chip and Dale, after 25 minutes, a brown rabbit (I know someone here will know the name) was there. We didn’t see C&D there again. This, I think, would prove to be a lasting mark on my DD desire to stand and wait for characters. :sad1: We saw Lilo and Stitch on the way toward the exit with 1 person in line and DD refused to get in line. :headache:

Here's a few other random AK pictures I didn't post elsewhere.

Tusker House Host:

5285632685_a1f8d60da9_z.jpg

5286231734_5f17fa092a_z.jpg

Spinning Dinosaurs

5285634635_72f8ca508b_z.jpg

We wandered through a few stores and made our way to the exit and bus stop. Caught a bus back to the GF in about 5-10 min and were finally out of the wind and cold. We got back to the GF and the plan was to hang around in the room and resort, warm up for about 1-1.5 hrs and then take the monorail to the Contemporary, eat at the Contempo Café, and I had us booked on the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise that night. So, what happened next and were we bonkers enough to get onto a boat and travel around the lagoon in 20 degree weather with strong winds..... turn in later, same bat channel to see.

After hanging out in the room and warming up, we headed for the Contemporary via the monorail. Took a little longer than expected to get there since there was a monorail delay getting to us and then it sat at MK for a bit due to mechanical difficulties with the train ahead of us. :confused: We got to the Contemporary and ate at the Contempo Café. It was pretty decent and was one of the better quick service places we ate at during the trip. :thumbsup2

We then found the checkin for the Pirate and Pals Fireworks Cruise. We checked in and got our bandanas and boat and row assignment. I asked about blankets and they said they had plenty on the boats. The wind had not died down at all and it was cold. We decided that with all the layers we had on and the extra blankets we could wrap up in, we’d be ok.

After waiting around until about 7, they came and the pirate hosts “Patch” and his identical twin who looked nothing like him, also named “Patch” welcomed everyone and they opened up the area where they had a table of snacks, cookies, bags of popcorn, etc and drinks set up. Most people went for the coffee and hot chocolate. pirate:

Then after a few minutes, Captain Hook and Smee showed up and everyone got to do a meet and greet and take pictures with them. :thumbsup2

5303773793_249b814063_z.jpg

5303777483_af129c49ef_z.jpg

After a bit, they gave us all a 10 minute warning, so everyone could hit the restroom and load up on snacks and we all went down the escalator and out the back of the resort to the boat launch. We followed Captain Hook to our boat, found our assigned seat, got several blankets, and we were off.

The boats cruised around the lagoon for a bit with the host, “Patch” getting everyone involved by asking where they were from and singing some pirate songs and telling some family friendly jokes. It was cold, but with the blankets, we were overall ok. Eventually, it was show time and they found a spot to anchor, they dimmed the boat lights, and piped in the music for “Wishes” and the fireworks started. It was a nice way to watch the fireworks, but the cold was not fun.

5304361660_cb9a5f4477_b.jpg

5304364942_7fc4ff2873_b.jpg

I left the fireworks pictures big to show a better perspective.

After the fireworks, we started to head back to the Contemporary and Patch started asking trivia questions for little prizes. He asked about stuff from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies first. Since we only saw the first one, we had no chance. Then he moved on to other Disney movies and we didn’t know any answers. Then he asked a few from “Finding Nemo”. Now my DD 4 has never seen the movie, (in fact my wife just e-mailed to say she just put it on and my DD got very scared and so they turned it off - my DD asked that we put the movie in the basement). But, Patch asked “What was the name of Nemo’s teacher?” We were near the front of the boat and my DD raised her hand and he called on her. Well, she surprised us and got it right (Mr. Ray) and received a “treasure” bag with a pirate theme. We were surprised and happy she knew it! :cool1::woohoo::yay:

When we got back to the dock, I knew that we should have a surprise waiting and sure enough Peter Pan was waiting. :thumbsup2 He led us all inside and we did a meet and greet with him. We then headed back to the GF via the monorail, got back to room and warmed up and got DD in bed by 9:30 which was probably the latest she ever been up.

Next day was going to be our first at Magic Kingdom and we had an ADR at Crystal Palace for breakfast. That is, as long as I didn't lose our park tickets, we'd make it.

I'll be watching for more. LOVED the photos. Thanks for sharing the linky dink with me. :):yay:

Oh, and please tell me that you DIDN'T lose your park tickets!

Not sure if I have anybody is reading this report at all, other than Ms. Funki, but I thought I'd add a summary of the characters we saw for each day so far, then I'll add it into the days that follow.

Sunday - Arrival day. No parks visited, but we saw, had a meet and greet and picture at dinner with Cinderella, Drizella, Anastasia, Lady Termaine, and Prince Charming.

Monday - AK and Fireworks Cruise - Meet/greet and pics at breakfast with Donald, Mickey, Daisy, and Goofy. Saw Chip and Dale, but they left while we were waiting in line, saw Lilo and Stitch but DD didn't want to wait in line, saw Thumper, but DD didn't want to wait, saw Baloo and King Louie with a long line, saw Pluto and Goofy in Dinoland with long line, saw Santa Goofy and Santa Mickey from afar.

Fireworks Cruise - Meet/greet and pics with "Patchs", Captian Hook and Smee before cruise, Peter Pan after cruise.

We awoke to record breaking cold temperatures. All the local news was talking about and showing the local farmers protective measures. Lovely.:eek:

The plan for the day was to go to Magic Kingdom. We had a 8:15 ADR at Crystal Palace, then we’d see the Faries and go from there. So, we were up at 6:30 and got ready. I was going to wear a different pair of North Face cargo pants that I had the day before, so I put them on and immediately transferred our park tickets to the zippered pocket in the pants. I then went about getting ready. Well, I knew that the one thing I had to really keep track of was our tickets, so as we were going to go out the door to catch the monorail, I reach in my pockets and couldn’t find them.:scared1: Now, this was a new pair of pants, so I guess I wasn’t familiar with all the pockets, i.e. hidden pockets. So, a mild panic set in and we started to search everywhere, knowing that since we got into the room the night before, and I hadn’t left the room since, the tickets had to be there.

With a lot of frustration and anger in the air, we had no idea if we could make the breakfast ADR, but I went to the front desk and explained the situation. The woman at the concierge desk couldn’t have been more helpful and calming. I told her about the ADR and she said not to worry, we had plenty of time and they always hold them for at least 20 minutes anyway. As I was thinking about where I was going to put the new tickets she printed, I had a really bad feeling - so I reached into the zippered pocket and found the original tickets.:headache: I gave her those and she shredded them and I was off.

So, with a feeling of frustration, anger at myself and several other emotions, I trudged back to room and decided that I would tell my DW exactly what happened. I got back and said let’s go we should still make breakfast and told her where I found the original tickets. I got the expected “look” and we were off. We caught a monorail pretty quick, got through the bag check line, and found the ADR entrance and made our way down Main Street. I think we made it by 8:15 even. We checked in and waited a few and were called.

As we walked up to our table, Tigger was a table away and turned and gave my DD a high five and made a big deal of rubbing the gloves she had on. They are made of a soft furry material and felt just like his costume, it was cute. He also pointed at the Yankee sweatshirt I had on and gave a big thumbs up and high five to me, which DD also loved. (Sorry Funki, but Tigger loves the Yankees:lmao::yay:).

5309912857_9365fdb6f2.jpg

Next was Pooh, then in a bit it was Piglet then Eeyore.

5309913937_85e4782cf7.jpg

5310504978_93ec0338c2.jpg

5310506178_e5b77c4567.jpg

Breakfast was a buffet and the food was actually pretty good, the waiter was good also. The character interaction was also good and all of them stopped for autographs and pictures and hugs from DD. We’d go there again.

It was still pretty cold out and the wind was whipping still. We left and the park had just opened so we headed towards Toon Town to see the faries before a long line formed. As we were walking towards it, the White Rabbit walked past with a CM and motioned for us to follow as he walked another 10 feet and got under part of the building to start a meet and greet.:woohoo: DD thought it was pretty cool to have him walk up and invite us over, so she got to spend a good amount of time with him and then we moved on. By that time, there was starting to be a line, so that was great timing.:goodvibes

5310507146_5ac54a4f91.jpg

Oh, Vincent, Vincent, Vincent! If you had worn an Orioles sweatshirt, Tigger would have given you two thumbs up and a high five. If you had worn a Red Sox sweatshirt, Tigger would have given you two thumbs up and a high five. If you had worn a Milwaukee Brewers sweatshirt, Tigger would have given you two thumbs up and a high five. :lmao:

For the record, I would have given you "the look", too. Ya goof!

Sure looks like your DD was having a good time. The photos are so cute. Although not everything went perfectly, you are actually very lucky. You would not have had the same type experience in the middle of the summer. Heck, getting 2nd row seats for Lion King is great. Getting special attention from the White Rabbit is priceless. And do you know how many people go through the safari and not see the lions? Lots! By the way, did you guys see the baby gorilla while in AK? I actually took a little video of the cutie. Maybe I'll actually get around to my photos this coming week. Hope so.

Keep the trip report rolling. You still have my full attention. :banana:

I've always liked the dancing banana. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter