1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

a Disney miracle for our son with autism :)

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by tracies, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kvnchapman

kvnchapman Mouseketeer

Love this sweet story! WDW is magical for our family, too. Last year DS (2), who has done lots of work to overcome some of his spectrum challenges, initiated his first hug with Tigger at Crystal Palace. With tears in my eyes, I thanked Tigger for spending extra time with "Bean" and told him how much it meant to us. Next thing we knew, Tigger reappeared with cards for our twins, along with a manager who had a set of Tigger plushes for our little guys. That week, he also uttered a 2 word sentence on the boat at Epcot. A significant milestone for us!! Disney is super magical. So thankful for our happy place.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. minkydog

minkydog DIS Cast Member

That is amazing! I'm so happy for you. We never know what little key will open our kids' minds and there's no predicting what happens. I know those castmembers realized that they were witnessing a miracle. How awesome to be a part of that.

4. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

:sad::sad::sad:

Happy tears again. Good talking, Bean.:hug:

5. I Love Pluto

I Love Pluto DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>I guess that make

I LOVE happy stories such as yours.

THANK YOU so very much for sharing. I hope you have continued blessings to your family! :thumbsup2

6. Pooh2

Pooh2 Dis Veteran

Beautiful story! Best wishes to you and your son!

7. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories.

I was really worried about our first trip to WDW. At age 6, one of my daughters still wouldn't say her name. What if she got lost or hurt or...?

After reading all the great stories about kids with Autism and how many make huge gains at WDW, we took the plunge. I was skeptical about making any kind of gain, but I wasn't scared to take her anymore.

Her social development in that one week was more than in the previous 6 years. For the first time ever, the four of us were talking about the same thing! We had CONVERSATION!

We immediately booked our trip for the girls 7th birthday. Best birthday ever!

Your story reminds of me of that incredible trip and what a difference Disney World has made in the lives of our family.

8. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

I'm so happy for you that your trip was such a miracle. Your post made me cry! When we went in September it was so good for my son (4). He rode Its A Small World with us and I cried the whole time - I never thought I would get him on a ride at all and our whole family was able to ride together. It was so special.

9. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

Awesome story. Disney CMs really can make so much magic!

10. RellaSprinkles

RellaSprinkles Mouseketeer

My eyes are filled with happy tears for you.. what a precious memory!

11. kvnchapman

kvnchapman Mouseketeer

Thanks Pampam! Gotta love that Pixie Dust! :hug:

12. kvnchapman

kvnchapman Mouseketeer

love!!

13. Bamagal

Bamagal Mouseketeer

That's awesome! That's the Disney stories I love to hear.

14. iluvmickey2008

iluvmickey2008 Earning My Ears

That's wonderful!!! My son is non-verbal and just turned 5. Over the past month or so, he has made wonderful progress both with speech and understanding/listening to directions. A trip to Disney would certainly speed things up...now to convince my anti-Disney husband!

15. kylmac

kylmac Mouseketeer

So glad he had a Disney breakthrough! What a great story! We try to go to Disney at least once a year because our son just transforms and acts almost normal at Disney.
    Elizabeth:woohoo:

16. OhanaDreams

OhanaDreams Cute and Fluffy

Good job Noah!

The kindness and love that is at DisneyWorld infuses into our special kiddos. All that happiness helps them to overcome so many obstacles.

17. Luv_my_Family

Luv_my_Family Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for sharing! It is great to hear that Disney has been such a magical place for so many of our children. My son is now 21, and Disney continues to be his special and safe place. I get all teary eyed when I think about our Disney moments and breakthroughs.

I am grateful that are lucky enough to be able to visit Disney and that we can all share our inspirational stories! :flower3:

18. GusGus77

GusGus77 DIS Veteran

Just have him read this thread!!!

What wonderful stories and amazing moments for the children and families!!!

19. LuvsTinker

LuvsTinker DIS Veteran

Wonderful!!!!!!!! Such a wonderful story.

I have a 12 yo son with autism. He loves WDW!

20. carrie1626

carrie1626 DIS Veteran

You have made my day with your posting.
    Blessings to your family.pixiedust:pixiedust:

21. jeremeyp

jeremeyp Earning My Ears

The original post was wonderful to read, and so was this. I have a 6 year old son with Down syndrome (our only child). We took him to Disney World two years ago, and things went well, but it was pretty overwhelming for him. He also wasn't familiar with all of the characters. We are going back in two weeks, and he's really excited about it! He is non-verbal, but has learned to say "Disney" in his own way (Dee-Dee!). I'm really looking forward to see how he does there. All of the CMs were great with him (and us!) when we were there in 2010.