• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A DISers Book Club!

Read posts 364 - 371

Ok. You and Mindy are both equally disappointed. Oh, and I think Dan Brown wants to proselytize his readers, too. I agree about the Edna Mode thing. But I think Linda Hunt's character Hedy in NCIS: Los Angeles is a direct ripoff of Edna. :laughing:

My library patrons have not been happy with Lost Symbol.

However, they are waiting in line to borrow Angels and Demons DVD. That is getting better reviews.
(sorry, I know this discussion is for books, not films. But the film was from a book!)

I never saw that movie, just the DaVinci one. Is it worth renting?

Hi Lori,
No you are not alone. I was really looking forward to The Lost Symbol coming out, I even bought it in hardback, which is a rarity for me. While I enjoyed parts of it very much, I wasn't surprised to feel let down by the ending.

Shame on Dan Brown for phoning it in! :laughing:

When the Lost Symbol was about to come out, I couldn't wait to read it. I hadn't read any of Dan Brown's previous books, but I remembered how much my mother enjoyed the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons when she was alive. So I pre-ordered it for my Kindle and was so happy when I woke up that morning and it was there. I started reading it immediately...and didn't like it at all. I couldn't wait to be done with it. On the otherhand, my son-in-law enjoyed it, although he thought the other two books were better.

Just starting to read this thread...so if this book has been mentioned I apologize.

I recently downloaded and read The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro. It is the first in, I believe, a series of 3 books. It's about vampires and a virus that creates them. It sounds a little like a free download Kevin recommended. I think that was Already Dead? Not sure. This book was really good. I also read Chuck Hogan's book Prince of Thieves and really liked it.

Can't wait to start at the begining to see what everyone is suggesting.

Been away for a bit, but I'm so excited that the craziness if Christmas is now behind us and I can get back to reading! The last couple of books I read were:
The Lovely Bones, which I enjoyed but didn't love. I think I just expected more.
The Pact by Jodi Piccoult (or Picoult? Not sure!). Anyway, I liked this one...typical JP read.
The Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer. It was okay, I guess. While I was well aware that this was nothing but fluff before I even started reading it, I was still bored! Oh well...
Then, of course, I have to mention the infamous The Lost Symbol. I was so excited for this book, but unfortunately I agree with everyone else here...SO disappointed. I think I would've been better off re-reading Angels & Demons!

Oh, and just have to throw in my S. King favorites...I have two and can't decide between them: The Stand and It. I DESPISED Insomnia and Lisey's Story!

I can't wait to go catch up on this thread...love it! :)

I love reading this thread. I was desperately hoping for a kindle for my bday but my DS6 let it slip it's the Mickey purse.

I am looking for a good idea as to what to read next??

I just finished The Crossroads Cafe. It was a free kindle one I downloaded on my itouch. I liked it, it had some good messages in it. Not the best read but I enjoyed it. Plus it was free lol

Kim, that Mickey purse isn't such a bad gift though! ;)

I'm still reading Brown's The Lost Symbol because my pleasure reading time is severely limited due to work. I'm hoping to finish it during my winter break. I'm dying to get back to my Janet Evanovich novels.

So what was everyone's favorite book of 2009? (It doesn't have to be something that came out in '09, just a book you read in '09).

I have to go with The Glass Castle , not because I just read it- just because it was really interesting/sad. A really fascinating read.

I just finished The Crossroads Cafe. It was a free kindle one I downloaded on my itouch. I liked it, it had some good messages in it. Not the best read but I enjoyed it. Plus it was free lol

I read this this weekend as well. A little long at points but overall very enjoyable.

Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. I know I was supposed to pick one but I can't choose between those two.

So what was everyone's favorite book of 2009? (It doesn't have to be something that came out in '09, just a book you read in '09).

I have to go with The Glass Castle , not because I just read it- just because it was really interesting/sad. A really fascinating read.

That was an amazing read. It's hard to say I "enjoyed" it because the story was so tragic, and the fact that it was all true was even more amazing.

I am going to change things up a bit and suggest a cookbook for all you foodies out there. Ad Hoc at Home by chef Thomas Keller is a fantastic choice for those that enjoy comfort food with a contemporary flair. Keller does a great job breaking down traditional meals to their core components. What I mean by this is that he teaches you how to make everything from braised beef short ribs to oyster crackers you can add to your soup. This cookbook is great for those that want to make family-style dishes with a slight level of difficulty. :thumbsup2

As for my favorite book of 2009, it without a doubt goes to Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

favorite book I read this year is World Without End ... and Roma second

Fave book this year (and of all time) was pillars of earth....2nd place is The House at Riverton...great book! :)

Got as a gift from my wife:

rv_jewpirates.jpg

I can't wait to start this one.

I can't believe that I can't come up with a favorite book that I read this year. I got my Kindle in July and I've read a lot of books since then, but looking over the list, none of them are really standing out. I enjoyed Sullivan's Island, South of Broad, Raising Jake (a freebie dowload at the time), and Snodgrass Vacation (a LOL spoof of Disney World). But honestly I don't think I will reread any of them. Hopefully in 2010 I will read something that will just blow me away!

Loved both Water for Elephants and Glass Castle - excellent books

I've gone through so many books - it's hard to remember them all, though 80% of my reads are non-fiction these days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter