• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A DISers Book Club!

I'm not sure - it was a price for pre-ordering, but it's worth a look

Yeah its back up to $17.50 which I think is still cheaper than what Walmart wanted if I remember correctly.

Just bought Stephen King's new one on audio "Under The Dome" and I'm loving it! Reminds me very much of The Stand, the way he weaves the characters stories.

Glad to hear that, I love the Stand :thumbsup2

I just read Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen. By no stretch of the imagination would it be considered great literature. The slide from Fair to Wicked Queen is a little clumbsy (and not quite complete) and had me thinking about how the book was written rather than being lost in the story. Obviously, it is ripping off "Wicked".

But it was a quick and easy read and I actually liked it a lot. :thumbsup2 I'd now like a little book about the Queen's father, lol.

Now I have to watch Snow White again, especially to see the King's cousins and watch the Queen's final scene.

I thought I'd share with Disney fans in the event nobody had heard about it (I hadn't) and wanted to read it.

I have this book on my Amazon wishlist. I thought it sounded interesting since Snow White is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the review, I might wait till I can find it on sale but I definitely want to check it out. :)

Amazon does have a couple of other books for $9 pre-order.

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
Breathless by Dean Koontz

More FREE books for those with a Kindle or Kindle App.

See if these appeal to you...

Treason
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEVU8Y/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Hostage
http://www.amazon.com/Hostage-ebook/dp/B000SEVWXW/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Defiance
http://www.amazon.com/Defiance-ebook/dp/B000SEIB4U/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Black Sea Affair
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sea-Affair-ebook/dp/B000SK2***/ref=pd_sim_kinc_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Havent read these but I understand that they are a series with recurring characters and the reviews seem good.

And you cant beat the price....FREE!!!!!

Hi all -

I just found this thread, how exciting...I love to read! I just finished reading The Shining and loved it so much that when we were in Colorado last month we drove to Boulder and Estes Park and toured The Stanley Hotel. We then bought the mini series DVD because it follows the book more closely then the movie...loved the book a lot more than I did the original movie.

I am now reading the Time Traveler's Wife and I have mixed reviews right now but I am hoping I'll like it more when I get further into it.

I think I am getting a Kindle for my birthday in a couple of weeks! I found out because I was had been reading reviews about the new B&N Nook and that threw DBF off because he was ready to order me the Kindle. I have decided that I want a Kindle instead of the Nook so keeping my fingers crossed I get it for my BD!

In the middle of A Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle. I really love all of his books, fiction and non. The only downside to them is they all make me want to move to France and spend the rest of my days eating great food and drinking great wine! Not like I can't do that at home, but his descriptions of Provence just sound so much better than eating and drinking the same at home.. :lmao:

More FREE books for those with a Kindle or Kindle App.

See if these appeal to you...

Treason
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEVU8Y/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Hostage
http://www.amazon.com/Hostage-ebook/dp/B000SEVWXW/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Defiance
http://www.amazon.com/Defiance-ebook/dp/B000SEIB4U/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Black Sea Affair
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sea-Affair-ebook/dp/B000SK2***/ref=pd_sim_kinc_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Havent read these but I understand that they are a series with recurring characters and the reviews seem good.

And you cant beat the price....FREE!!!!!

I love political thrillers and I love the price! :thumbsup2

Ahh! Book overload! I'm still reading the last one you posted and now I have to get these too. :)

In the middle of A Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle. I really love all of his books, fiction and non. The only downside to them is they all make me want to move to France and spend the rest of my days eating great food and drinking great wine! Not like I can't do that at home, but his descriptions of Provence just sound so much better than eating and drinking the same at home.. :lmao:

I downloaded this book onto my Kindle a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten to it yet - thanks for the glowing review. i'll have to move this one to the top of the queue

Sorry, I'm late. Allow me to catch up...

I recently rediscovered my library card and NY Public Library. Nothing short of wonderful. Besides being my go to place for books, I'v e also been using it to catch up on movies that I've always wanted to see or haven't seen since childhood. Over the last 2 weeks, I've seen Peter Pan, Saludos Amigos, Three Calballeros, and Tron. I have a documentary on the Six Day War waiting for me, and a documentary on the British Monarchy coming (I just go back from London). But, back to books...

I'm reading now The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company, by
David A. Price. Fascinating even for non-Disneyphiles. This ragtag group of creative people with a desire to do something completely different in the face of a world that wasn't ready for it. Even if you saw the Pixar documentry, read this.

I've noticed that my taste in literature is quite different than many of you, but here's a toast to diversity!

Some favorites:

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi, by David Maraniss - must read for any sports fan, and a compelling biography for non-sports fans. Maraniss did the Clinton bio as well, but I like this one.

Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, by James Carroll - this is a cumborsome read, but really not to be missed. Should be mandatory reading for all Christians, Jews, and anyone interested in any kind of European or religious history. A real education in this one from the eyes of a former member of the Catholic clergy. Read this!

Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kindom to the Movies, by Jason Surrell - I credit (blame) this book for getting me interested in Imagineering and the Parks all over again. I wish we had a book like this on every attraction, but I'm sure the story behind this one is the most compelling.

Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East, by Michael B. Oren - I'm a sucker for military non-fiction, but this is by far tops of them all. This also clarifies a lot of the history of the region, especially since there is so much distorted history telling that has happened since then (mostly on purpose).

Next on my list: The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon - but I've heard mixed reviews on this one.

Enjoy!

Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, by James Carroll - this is a cumborsome read, but really not to be missed. Should be mandatory reading for all Christians, Jews, and anyone interested in any kind of European or religious history. A real education in this one from the eyes of a former member of the Catholic clergy. Read this!

Mr. Carroll is a professor at my university, and I had the pleasure of working with him last year. He is a very enlightened man :thumbsup2

I just finished rereading "New Moon" in anticipation of the movie (although not sure I'll make it out to the theater) and am now rereading "Eclipse".

I've added lots to my library queue. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I also used NoveList for the first time. It's free when logging in through my library website. It helps recommend books based on your fave books and authors.

Does anyone have Christmas or holiday recommendations? Fiction or nonfiction. I'd love to get in the holiday spirit with my reading, too! ;)

Hi Guys,

I wanted to join in the book thread (I have to back track and read a little more to see what everyone is reading), but I love the idea of a place to give/get book suggestions with fellow podcast listeners :)

I am now reading the Time Traveler's Wife and I have mixed reviews right now but I am hoping I'll like it more when I get further into it.

I read this a few years ago and at first I was iffy, and then once I got into it, I really enjoyed it- haven't seen the movie yet, but looking forward to seeing how they pull it all off.

I just finished rereading "New Moon" in anticipation of the movie (although not sure I'll make it out to the theater) and am now rereading "Eclipse".

I am finally breaking down and am going to start Twilight this weekend. I hope it lives up to all the hype, I could use a good fluff story right now. I have been changing the channel a lot lately because I don't want to know anything about New Moon in case I like this first book and want to keep reading- it is okay that I am not a tween, right? ;)

Looking forward to back tracking and reading more of this thread!

<<--------Stalker Supreme

(a.k.a. "google is your friend")

Ahhhh, i should have known :rotfl:

I am currently reading The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine by Benjamin Wallace. This book tells the story of a cache of wines that were supposedly once owned by Thomas Jefferson. Just one of the bottles sold for $156,000 at auction in 1985. By taking you into the inner-circles of the most decadent wine collectors in the world, the book questions the legitimacy of the Jefferson bottles. A precious piece of history, or the world's most elaborate forgery?

This book is fascinating!! Perfect for all you wine snobs out there :thumbsup2

Just picked up Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen today, last book I read was .... wow, I can't remember, I know it hasn't been that long ago. Has anyone out there read the Temeraire series of books by Naomi Novik or the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith? Both series are good, the books by Naomi Novik are a mix of fantasy and historical fiction (dragons used in the Napoleonic wars). Sounds a little strange but she has done a good job with the story. I still can't wrap my head around reading a book in electronic form though. I like turning the pages I guess. :hippie:

I have listened to several from #1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I am not a mystery fan. This is about a detective and I really enjoyed the little bits of real life problems and how she solves them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter