• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Determined Disney Mom vs. a Broken Ankle - who will win?

Disneygal4life

Mouseketeer
Howdy folks, welcome to the one and only original trip report. This trip report has thrills and spills, pineapple dole whips and crying children. In short it has everything that you usually find in a Disney vacation. This is my first trip report so please be kind and I would love if you would bear with me to the bear end.

Meet the Cast Members:

Me: aka Mrs. Incredible :earsgirl:- Mom, planner and overall semi leader of the tribe. About seven weeks before the trip I broke my ankle doing a Spartan Super mud run. :crutches:So lucky me was going to experience Disney with a major injury to my leg. My first visit to Disney was in 1977 when I was a wee babe. I even have the picture of me in the old school blue stroller to prove it! I've probably been about 30 times since then and basically spend my time when I'm not a work planning the next vacation for the family. My favorite things at Disney are boat rides on Bay Lake, Dole Whips and EPCOT at night.

Hubbs: aka – Eeyore :earsboy: – Dad, the follower to my planner. He puts up with all my Disney nonsense while not getting any of it. He never went to Disney before he met me. I remedied that on our honeymoon. He didn’t realize when he married me that Disney annual trips came with the deal as well. Overall he’s a good sport but sometimes gets overwhelmed and a bit negative. His favorite things are eating at the Wave, seeing the kids get excited and the Food and Wine festival.

Daughter: aka - Rapunzel princess: - My oldest child who at 8 loves visiting the characters the best and likes to do Disney hard core like her mom. She's my little artist and is working on plans on how she can live at Disney forever with all of her friends. Her favorites at Disney are meeting characters, the Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth.

Son: aka - Tigger :tigger:- My youngest child, he just turned 3 before the trip. He's very spirited and can't seem to sit still. He is either trying to hit or kiss his big sister. Unlike his sister he won't go near the characters with a ten foot pole. Will that change on this trip??? He has an obsession with Toy Story which I being the good Disney mom that I am have encouraged much to my husband’s chagrin. His favorite things at Disney are ice cream Mikey bars, Peter Pan and naps back at the room.

My Dad: aka – Peter Pan – The patriarch of my Disney obsession. He is a kid at heart who epitomizes the spirit of never growing up. When he retired the entire office wore Disney mouse ears as a going away surprise. I get my Disney OCD (I prefer the term detail oriented, ehem) from him. He and my mom have gone 40 times to the world. His favorite things are Pirates of the Caribbean, popcorn smells on Main Street USA and sitting in the Wilderness Lodge Lobby.

My mom: aka - Pollyanna - My cool mom who at 73 still makes the annual Disney pilgrimage with my dad without complaint. She always sees the good in things no matter what. She would love to take it at an easy pace but unfortunately my dad does not have the same ideas. Her favorite things on Disney trips are people watching, touring the monorail resorts and the fact that calories at Disney don’t actually count.

The Plan

We started planning this trip back in March. And by “we” :chat: I mean me and my dad, aka Peter Pan. The rest of the family just waits to hear when and where they should show up. Last year we went and rented points to stay at BCV which was nice but our true heart lies with the Wilderness Lodge. We decided that we would go back to our true Disney home and book a room through a travel agent. We booked the last week of October for five nights. Luck was on our side. Not only did we get a :worship:$500 discount off of our room due to the construction at the hotel but we also go free dining (score!!!). Double dipping is gross unless it involves Disney discounts, and then I’m completely pro double dipping. And skinny dipping…..but that’s another story. We also booked our first night at the All Star Movies resort. The first day is a driving day and at the end we just wanted a clean bed. It sounded like a good idea to pay a bit less and then switch the next day for the Wilderness Lodge.

So the plans were made, restaurants booked and all that was left was to wait until departure day.

And then it happens….

As I said earlier about seven weeks before we departed I broke my ankle. I admit I was pretty depressed for a bit thinking a Disney trip would be so hard. There was good news with this though. I didn’t require surgery but I was wearing a walking boot. Walking was possible but we all know there is normal walking and then there is Disney walking. I knew I couldn’t just go around the parks with the boot. I thought about renting a motorized thingy but transport of that with all the waiting for the buses and such just was overwhelming. Plus Pollyanna was pointing out that it would be embarrassing to be seen with me like that....no, not kidding. I ended up with a knee scooter I borrowed from a friend who had recently recovered from a broken leg. They are pretty cool little devices and it actually gave me a great excuse to ride down Main Street USA pretty quickly while saying “wheeeeee” with a medical excuse. So I decided I would partially walk partial knee scoot and then if I had to break down for a motorized thing I would.

Up next: Day 1 - driving to Florida :drive:, visiting Disney Springs and the All Star Movies resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter