A Daddy-Daughter Adventure TR - Sep'10@AKV - UPDATED 3/31 Post #130

How fun. You have my wheels turning. Just the other day, dd1 and I were talking about how we should take a trip to WDW together just the two of us. Maybe I can squeeze one in before our family trip next fall. I will have APs......
Keep it coming.

:thumbsup2 nice update stopher! ive never gotten the same room twice. same building, but never the same room. :thumbsup2

I'm in! A little late... but there's just so much to keep up with now-a-days! :rotfl2: Will comment after reading!!!

Wow... I feel like I'm right there with you! Just the thought of having a daddy/daughter sounds like fun to me! Good to see you are making good on getting pictures of your DD :thumbsup2 She's adorable!

And I'm still dragging my way through yours there buddy. Sorry, it's taken me much too long. But I saw that you've marked it as complete now, so I know there's a light at the end of my s - l - o - w tunnel now :thumbsup2 I'll comment one of these days again too. :) It has been a very enjoyable read though, even without shooting off my mouth. Many things have left me just rolling.

I'm sorry you didn't have the time to keep up and comment as we were rolling along...I know how that goes. We missed you in all the fun. But I very much appreciate you taking the time to read it, and I'm glad we're getting some laughs! :woohoo:

The room that we were assigned was the exact studio portion of our 2 bedroom lockoff from January!

Too funny! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: love the theme at this resort. I hope I get the chance to stay there someday.

Before leaving home, my DW gave me a mandate... "be sure to take pictures of our daughter! and not just scenery shots!"

:lmao::rotfl2: My wife would say the same thing! I'm always much more interested in taking pictures of scenery than of people (including my kids). We could come back from a trip and you'd never know anyone was there. :rotfl2:

Off we went on our way back to Kidani. Swimming time! I love the pool, love the slide, and love the water play part. And two hot tubs is a nice treat as well. :thumbsup2

The pool area looks great! I can see why this would appeal to a 6-year-old.

... so up next, which bus would we get on?And what would we do?[/I]

Magic Kingdom, head straight for Fantasyland. That's my guess.

Count me in! I hope to someday take my DD to WDW... I don't think my wife will let me go... without her too! :lmao:

Cool! Tim's here. :thumbsup2 Welcome!

How fun. You have my wheels turning. Just the other day, dd1 and I were talking about how we should take a trip to WDW together just the two of us. Maybe I can squeeze one in before our family trip next fall. I will have APs......
Keep it coming.

Oh yeah, go for it! Welcome! It was a lot of fun to spend time with just her on this trip, and just my boys on their trips. Special. Great memories.

:thumbsup2 nice update stopher! ive never gotten the same room twice. same building, but never the same room. :thumbsup2

It was fascinating. I've been in the same building at OKW, but not the same room... until this trip.

I'm in! A little late... but there's just so much to keep up with now-a-days! :rotfl2: Will comment after reading!!!

Wow... I feel like I'm right there with you! Just the thought of having a daddy/daughter sounds like fun to me! Good to see you are making good on getting pictures of your DD :thumbsup2 She's adorable!

Thanks Don! Welcome. Glad you could make it.

I'm sorry you didn't have the time to keep up and comment as we were rolling along...I know how that goes. We missed you in all the fun. But I very much appreciate you taking the time to read it, and I'm glad we're getting some laughs! :woohoo:

I LOVED your ending. Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again... you are so cool Mark. What a crazy, fun-filled report you created. And yeah, it kept me in stitches many times.

Too funny! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: love the theme at this resort. I hope I get the chance to stay there someday.

Me too. It really is cool. Designed by the same architect as Wilderness Lodge... did you know that? I'll bet you did. Well the original Jambo House part was, not Kidani Village, but yeah.

:lmao::rotfl2: My wife would say the same thing! I'm always much more interested in taking pictures of scenery than of people (including my kids). We could come back from a trip and you'd never know anyone was there. :rotfl2:

Thousands and thousands of pics from years of trips... mostly landscapes, scenery, buildings, details, lamps, furniture, props, backgrounds... you name it. Only hundreds of family. Oh well.

The pool area looks great! I can see why this would appeal to a 6-year-old.
Magic Kingdom, head straight for Fantasyland. That's my guess.

Could be

After changing out of our swimwear, we were ready to go… but where? I asked her where she’d like to go, and she simply said, “you’ll see”. Oh dear, years of daddy’s vague responses had worn off on her, and now she was giving it right back to me. Ugh. So we walked down to the bus stop to wait for a bus that she would announce when it showed up.

2010-0905-160.jpg

Ding, ding, ding… Mark, you’re half right. We did end up going to the Magic Kingdom, but she had two things in mind specifically to do, and neither involved Princesses or Fairies. Both where things that she did for the very first time on our family trip in January and just loved… Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Goofy’s Barnstormer.

2010-0905-162.jpg

The park was all decked out for Halloween with LOTS of orange bunting and pumpkins seemingly everywhere. The first of the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween parties was sometime around our visit, but since I didn’t opt to pay for it and attend, I cannot be 100% certain if it was before, during or just after our stay… but I do recall there was one very close to our trip.

Cindy’s place, a bit blurry with clouds forming behind

2010-0905-164.jpg

We were armed with her newest autograph album and her pin lanyard, really hoping to be able to catch some characters for signatures and find some cool new pin – but sadly neither happened while we were there. We had arrived in the MK at about 5:15, and according to the Times Guide, all of the characters you could meet (with the exception of the Fairies & the Princesses up in Mickey’s Toontown Fair) pretty much disappeared by 5pm. So even though the park was open until 11pm that day, all of the characters were on “banker’s hours”. Maybe they all had some big special character pot-luck to go to?!? :confused3 I don’t really know, but to her mind, it just kind of stunk. This is something that I personally have an issue with and the way that WDW handles the characters overall anyway. Personally I think they’re way too oversimplified in the limited variety that they bring out, and way too structured in the how, the when and the where – and entirely too limited in the when part… but I suppose it’s just me. So I digress, and we move on.

On the way to Big Thunder, we recognized that we were hungry. Since she doesn’t really know the restaurants & choices of the park that well, and we were already entering Liberty Square, I just led the way to Columbia Harbor House, where we enjoyed a relatively nice meal.

She loves chicken strips, and I like their fish. While we were eating, the skies opened up and it started to rain. To quote a song from a certain silly old bear’s Many Adventures… the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down! I mean it just started to pour, and the people started to pour in the doors of the restaurant. It was kind of comical to watch, and oh yeah, through the window I watched as people poured in to the shop across the way, and quickly poured out again in those nice, nearly $10 ponchos that always just conveniently appear at a register near you when the skies open up.

2010-0905-165.jpg

Since it was raining when we were done eating, and we were right there, she said we could go enjoy Daddy’s favorite attraction

2010-0905-167.jpg

2010-0905-166.jpg

There was a little line, but the posted wait time only said 10 minutes, so that wasn’t bad, and of course, the Mansion is a “people eater” cycling thousands through an hour, so the line keeps moving. I love those attractions so much more than the low capacity, “slow loaders” (i.e. Dumbo, etc). It was still raining, but it had lessened just in the short walk from Columbia Harbor House over to the queue. Perhaps you’ve noticed by now, but if not, in this picture you can see my DD’s princess obsession of choice.

2010-0905-169.jpg

When we came out of the Mansion, the rain had stopped, and the clouds had begun to break up and move west. Which we did as well… around the Rivers of America and on over to Frontierland and Big Thunder Mountain!

2010-0905-172.jpg

Oh, she’d been talking about BTMRR for months. She absolutely could not wait to get on it again. The line was not as short as the Mansion by any means, and the FP machines were covered up, so our only option was to wait. 30 minutes was posted, but in reality it was about 45. Here was a shot while we waited.

2010-0905-176.jpg

We rounded the various switchbacks, and enjoyed talking about all kinds of silly things while we waited. Finally, after what was beginning to seem an eternity, down the ramp we went. The CM asked how many, and assigned us to row 4. Just 2 more trains and we’d be on it once more! She was so excited!! Just 1 more train and it would be our turn. The anticipation was just killing her. She couldn’t wait. But then it happened. Her worst nightmare came true. The ride had broken down. So we waited, and waited, and waited. Til finally they started to announce over the PA that the ride was broken down and might take an hour or more to come back up. They then proceeded to turn everyone on the ramp and higher backwards and send them out. Those of us on the loading platform were asked to move to a single lane and cross over the train to the exit. A very dejected 6 year old, who wanted to cry, complied – but not very happily. We received our “We’re Sorry” FP good for any attraction and went on our way. Months of waiting and no Big Thunder. Sigh.

By this point it was already about 7:45 and she announced she was getting tired. So after looking in a couple of the shops in Liberty Square, we headed for Main Street to claim a spot for my beloved MSEP, which she also wanted to see. The last time she saw it personally in a park (not just on the videos we have at home), she was 3 and it was running in California Adventure.

2010-0905-184.jpg

2010-0905-178.jpg

We decided we’d claim a spot in Town Square, but before we did that we went in a couple of shops including the Emporium, and it was in the shop inside the Fire Station that she found Lady, and just HAD to have her. So she broke out her wallet and liberated the one she really wanted to take home to be her very own puppy. Plus she now had someone to cuddle with while we waited for the parade, which was by this point, still more than a half an hour away from stepping off. We found our spot in front of the Train Station, and settled in for the wait.

It was now 8:45, just moments before the parade was to begin, and she started to lay her head down on my lap and tell me that she was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel. “But” I started in. “It’s the Electrical Parade sweetpea…don’t you want to see it?” “No. Not anymore. I want to go back to the hotel”, she replied. “But” I said, you wanted to just 10 minutes ago. “I don’t now” she said. “May we please go back to the hotel?” she asked. SIGH. I REALLY wanted to pull the dad card here and hold my ground, BUT, this was not the time to do that. I’ve done that ample times in the past but not on this trip. She was driving. So we got up, and headed out of the Magic Kingdom for the bus. (Let me just stop and say... thank goodness for AP's, or a visit like this just really wouldn't make any financial sense. So there's my little disclaimer for the day).

We then went back to Kidani and found our room. She got into her jammies and asked if we could watch a movie. We have several in our Owner’s Lockers, so I said sure, but only for a while. We needed to be up and out in the morning for the first of our 2 special pre-planned things. We pulled out a snack and put in her choice of Peter Pan, and off to Neverland we went, at least for the next 20 minutes or so before it was time to turn it off and go to sleep.

2010-0905-191.jpg

2010-0905-193.jpg

I pulled out the sleeper couch and got her all tucked in for the night. It had been a different sort of first day…but fun even with the challenges and disappointments we’d both had in the MK. Sweet dreams my little princess!

Tomorrow would be another day full of fun and surprises.

Walking away from the ELP, what a Dad...I give you the Greatest Dad in the World Award for that. I don't know that I could do that.

Chris

Count me into this report! I love reading about your Disney adventures as you have a different perspective on it that most others can share.

I would love to be able to do a one-on-one trip with each of my girls, but I would never be able to leave the rest at home. It's the same reason that I have stood outside the gates of DL and CA twice now without going in (except maybe a hand or foot stuck through the fence :laughing:)

You're off to a great start!

Hey Stopher, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your DD Adventure this evening. :goodvibes Your daughter is just precious! Anxiously awaiting the next installment.
Di

great update stopher!!! couldnt agree with you more with the charaters. i remember in the mid and late 70s they would just show up. you would be walking through the castle and there was mickey. there were no "photo op" places, they would just pop out. i got myself hooked on the harbor house myself the last few trips.:lmao: (ever since they went to whole wheat rolls for the cheese burgers in the park):lmao: look like you guys are having a great time.:thumbsup2

Oh good Don, I'm trying.
It WAS a lot of fun.

Walking away from the ELP, what a Dad...I give you the Greatest Dad in the World Award for that. I don't know that I could do that.

Chris

Haha.. thanks Chris. It wasn't easy to walk away from, let me tell you!

Count me into this report! I love reading about your Disney adventures as you have a different perspective on it that most others can share.

I would love to be able to do a one-on-one trip with each of my girls, but I would never be able to leave the rest at home. It's the same reason that I have stood outside the gates of DL and CA twice now without going in (except maybe a hand or foot stuck through the fence :laughing:)

You're off to a great start!

Thanks & Welcome! Glad you could stop by. You know, the one on one adventures really started all those years ago because at the time I was traveling way more than I even do now, and had a Companion Pass from Southwest Airlines (where you can bring a companion of your choice for free, except for the security fee). So I took all 3 family members along with me somewhere... first my wife, then my older son, then my younger son. And it then became a, "you know, you're going to have to take your daughter too when she's old enough" thing that my DW challenged me to, since after all, our DD would be looking at pictures and video and wondering why she didn't get a trip of her own someday... so of course I couldn't leave her out. That just wouldn't be right, now would it?!? Of course not.

Thanks for sharing, love the photos. :thumbsup2

Thanks! And welcome.

Hey Stopher, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your DD Adventure this evening. :goodvibes Your daughter is just precious! Anxiously awaiting the next installment.
Di

Oh Di, you made it. :) Welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the first parts of this little story... can't wait to share the one that you are a part of in the hopefully not too distant future too! But until then... I will be drafting another installment or two on the airplane later today, and hopefully get it posted in a couple of days. So sit tight, enjoy some popcorn::, and I'll be back around soon with some more. Amazing how it was just a three night trip, but it already took me 3 installments just to get through one partial day. Too verbose? Yeah, but hey, it's kind of a fun journal to be able to share with my DD later on too.

Nemisis here!

:wave2:

Hey Nate...WELCOME. Glad you could make it... :rolleyes1 I think. No seriously, keep a ruddy eye out, me thinks you might spy someone familiar in the installments yet to come.

Morning Stopher

What a great dad you are and she is one sweetie! princess:

take care :flower3:

Thanks Joy. I agree with you, she is a sweetie! Growing up way too fast as they all do, so I'm really trying to savor these moments.

great update stopher!!! couldnt agree with you more with the charaters. i remember in the mid and late 70s they would just show up. you would be walking through the castle and there was mickey. there were no "photo op" places, they would just pop out. i got myself hooked on the harbor house myself the last few trips.:lmao: (ever since they went to whole wheat rolls for the cheese burgers in the park):lmao: look like you guys are having a great time.:thumbsup2

Thanks Dave.

Yeah, I totally miss those days. It was the same way at Disneyland, and you just never really knew who you might see. While I understand the desire to have certain characters always available (i.e. the fab five) - I just don't believe or agree with having every single character interaction be either in a line-up or a character meal opportunity. The spontaneous and surprise appearances are sorely lacking these days, and really make the parks a bit too sterile, IMO.

Great update. That is such a bummer about BTMRR. I would have been bummed too. And so sweet that you walked out with your DD right before parade time. Parents make so many sacrifices that they are often not appreciated for. Good job dad! Can't wait to hear about Surprise #1!

It was the same way at Disneyland, and you just never really knew who you might see. While I understand the desire to have certain characters always available (i.e. the fab five) - I just don't believe or agree with having every single character interaction be either in a line-up or a character meal opportunity. The spontaneous and surprise appearances are sorely lacking these days, and really make the parks a bit too sterile, IMO.

My oldest DD and I were just talking about this the other day. We have pictures of my DDs with characters sitting in a circle in DL Town Square. Another picture of Mickey and oldest DD holding hands watching a parade. Another time Chip and Dale held my youngest and walked around with her, which may be the reason they are her favorites. Just wouldn't happen now a days unless it's a "magical moment".

Goodness gracious, look at this. Two updates in already and I'm just getting to the party. Let's call it fashionably late. Although since you've seen what I wear to work, you know what my fashion sense is. :)
It seems odd to be following you on this trip considering that we've meet face to face twice in the past week and a half, 1200 miles apart. Yet now I'm reading about a trip from September. It really messes with my mind, you know?
Anyway - your DD is simply adorable. She's a lucky girl to have a daddy like you!

Can't wait to read more!

Great update. That is such a bummer about BTMRR. I would have been bummed too. And so sweet that you walked out with your DD right before parade time. Parents make so many sacrifices that they are often not appreciated for. Good job dad! Can't wait to hear about Surprise #1!

Isn't that the truth? If only it didn't take us all so long to recognize what parents do for us. Even now in my 40's I'm just learning of some of what MY parents did for my brother and I when WE were the little ones.

My oldest DD and I were just talking about this the other day. We have pictures of my DDs with characters sitting in a circle in DL Town Square. Another picture of Mickey and oldest DD holding hands watching a parade. Another time Chip and Dale held my youngest and walked around with her, which may be the reason they are her favorites. Just wouldn't happen now a days unless it's a "magical moment".

Yeah, I hear you. We have many pics & memories of interactions that just couldn't happen anymore due to the way they do it nowadays.

Looking forward to more!

Welcome nunzia! I'm working on it...

Goodness gracious, look at this. Two updates in already and I'm just getting to the party. Let's call it fashionably late. Although since you've seen what I wear to work, you know what my fashion sense is. :)
It seems odd to be following you on this trip considering that we've meet face to face twice in the past week and a half, 1200 miles apart. Yet now I'm reading about a trip from September. It really messes with my mind, you know?
Anyway - your DD is simply adorable. She's a lucky girl to have a daddy like you!

Can't wait to read more!

Better late than never Barry. Glad you could join us. That was fun seeing you in two different states just days apart.

Just wait til I start posting my upcoming bi-coastal report too. That'll be strange too. And thanks for the compliments too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter