A culinary revelation: Victoria & Albert's, Main Dining Room - October 28th 2010

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
We were fortunate enough to dine at Victoria & Albert’s for the third time on October 28th 2010 – DMom’s birthday.

Our reservation was for 5:45pm and we arrived right on time. I must say, I was shocked to find nearly every table in the restaurant occupied! I could only assume that the influx of foodies for Epcot’s International Food & Wine Festival caused this surprising surge in dinership at our favorite WDW restaurant.

The fullness of the restaurant definitely changed the atmosphere. It was louder than usual, and had a more boisterous and celebratory vibe than its usual elegant and calm din. It was different – I can’t say better or worse necessarily, but different.

We were seated at a table for four, in the north east corner of the restaurant (if you are to assume the kitchen entrance is north).

Our servers, Dan and Dave were very attentive. We have been served by Dan during each of our visits to V&A. He had quite a bit of fun rapidly listing the seemingly endless inventory of ingredients in each dish so that I could madly scribble them into my small notebook.

This was my best friend Tania’s first experience at V&A and while she was a bit overwhelmed at first (aren’t we all the first time?) she loved every bite and every minute of our meal.

First up, the obligatory shots of the beauty that is a Victoria & Albert’s place setting.

ry%3D400

Decorative Charger Plate

ry%3D400

Softly lit lamp & a flawless roses

I will be dividing this review into posts for each course, starting with the amuse bouche.

ry%3D400

The amuse was presented on a plate with four compartments. Going from the top right, clockwise we have:
- Tomato “Consume”
- Lobster Crepe with Osetra Caviar
- Smoked Salmon “Panna Cotta” with Dill and Salmon Roe
- Olive Oil Poached Baby Heirloom Tomato with Pesto and Sea Salt

ry%3D400

The Tomato “Consume” was easily the star of the plate. It looks so deceptively simple, I mean it is a shot glass of colourless liquid, how can it be impressive? The flavour that came out of that unsuspecting liquid was nothing short of sublime! And that is coming from someone who does NOT like tomatoes. It was light, acidic, perfectly seasoned, wonderfully refreshing and I wished there was more of it.

ry%3D400

The Lobster Crepe was creamy and sinful. The textural and flavor contrasts were wonderful. The soft crepe, the creamy lobster and the salty pop of the caviar perfectly accented each other. I would say it was tied with the next item as a solid 2nd on the plate.

ry%3D400

The Smoked Salmon “Panna Cotta” was delicious as well. Slightly more herbacious than the Lobster Crepe, but sharing a similar textural/flavor contrast of creamy and smooth with salty popping roe. The added richness and smokiness of the salmon are what really made this dish.

ry%3D400

Now, I will admit that I am biased when it comes to the Olive Oil Poached Baby Heirloom Tomato with Pesto and Sea Salt. You see, tomatoes are one of the few foods that I cannot stand. I love the flavor but the texture of a raw or whole tomato is just downright unpleasant to me. That being said, Victoria & Albert’s is about the only place in the world that will find me willingly eating (and often enjoying) tomatoes. This was fresh and light. But it was the weakest item on the plate in my opinion.

Two new Christmas Trees which are decorated with many rings and Colorful lanterns, gifts and paper flowers hangs above. Don't forget the snow flower and Christmas candle.

Keep going girl...I am trying to convince Todd to try that on our next Birthday or Anniversary trip

Help a sister out will ya? :lmao:

I can't wait to hear more, we are planning a meal at Victoria and Albert for our 20th anniversary and I am not sure what I want Chef's table (if we can get it) or dining room. We did the Chef's table for our 10th, and the regular dining room for our 15 enjoyed both.

Meg, this looks heavenly. My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at Victoria and Albert's last March and it was easily one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I still dream about the roasted beet carpaccio I had as my second course! Can't wait to read more about your experience!

Susan

Sounds heavenly....keep going please! :)

New post coming right up :thumbsup2

Keep going girl...I am trying to convince Todd to try that on our next Birthday or Anniversary trip

Help a sister out will ya? :lmao:

Oooo! You guys would love it! Honestly, I can be a really picky eater but I've never had a single bite of food at V&A that I didn't like. You just have to trust Chef Hunnell. He knows how to make everything taste amazing :)

I can't wait to hear more, we are planning a meal at Victoria and Albert for our 20th anniversary and I am not sure what I want Chef's table (if we can get it) or dining room. We did the Chef's table for our 10th, and the regular dining room for our 15 enjoyed both.

We have only ever done the main dining room and we absolutely love it :goodvibes

Meg, this looks heavenly. My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at Victoria and Albert's last March and it was easily one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I still dream about the roasted beet carpaccio I had as my second course! Can't wait to read more about your experience!

Susan

Thanks for reading! We have been three times now and will be returning in October 2011. (I wouldn't be surprised if we snuck in a trip before that :rotfl:)

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Our first courses are coming up this afternoon :)

1st Course
Cold Appetizer

When you are presented a menu at Victoria & Albert’s it can be quite daunting. There before you lay countless delicious options and you are expected to order all at once!

DDad has a few food allergies, and therefore had a slightly modified menu (in that it contained no white-fleshed fish or blue cheese). My menu had the same blue cheese modification.

As I reflected on a first course, my choices were as follows:

Balsamic marinated charred octopus with tomato and watermelon

OR

Buffalo “waldorf” with apples, walnuts and vinaigrette

(I apologize for the crude summaries of the dishes – they really don’t do those masterpieces justice and I don’t have my menus with me for reference at the moment. I will update this post tonight)

However, as I peered at DDad’s menu I noticed a slight difference—He had Balsamic marinated charred gulf shrimp! Mmmm…now that sounds amazing. So we pushed our luck...DDad, Tania & myself all ordering the modified shrimp dish. Thankfully, the kitchen had prepped enough of the shrimp so we all received our requested dish.

ry%3D400

Here is DMom’s Buffalo “waldorf” – unfortunately I did not get a chance to sample it, but she said it was delicious

ry%3D400

And here is DDad, Tania & my Balsamic marinated charred Gulf Shrimp. Again, I don’t have my notes, but this was easily the most complex dish I have ever been served at V&A. For something with such a simple description it was positively singing with intricate flavour! The tender shrimp, the tangy balsamic, the sweet crisp watermelon and the acidity of the tomatoes all played off each other. Some of the unique elements on the plate were pickled watermelon rind and salted yellow watermelon.

We are going next week and are so excited. It will be our first time. We have saved up for it and it is our Christmas present to each other. Please, I want to hear more.

We are going next week and are so excited. It will be our first time. We have saved up for it and it is our Christmas present to each other. Please, I want to hear more.

Oooo!! You will love it! It is so hard to describe V&A, but the first experience is always the most magical.

How on earth do you eat that?? :laughing:

It all looks so good though... :rolleyes:

LOL everything looks to pretty to eat, but the cirrcular thing in the middle was a slice of watermelon, with tomato water underneath and the balsamic chrimp on top, topped with mircogreens. It was so yummy! I ate the little items on the side individually as they seemed like accents to me as opposed to pieces of the composed dish.

Your descriptions are delightful....once again, more please! :)

Thank you! I try my best to convey taste and experience through my descriptions.

Bread 1
Petit Baguette with House-made lightly-salted butter

ry%3D400

Sweet mother of all that is holy, I could eat 100 of these. How Chef Eric manages to get the perfectly crisp crust and the airy light interior of a full baguette into this miniature version is mind-blowing. They are always served slightly warm and the smell is unbelievable – takes me back to my trip to Paris in a heartbeat!

2nd Course
Fish Course

While we were “boring” in our choice for this course (we all selected the Sake-Soy marinated Wild Alaskan King Salmon served on a bed of basmati rice with edamame and hojumiji mushrooms), this course was anything but boring!

ry%3D400

DMom tried this same preparation in March and I am sure that DDad and I skipped out on sampling because we were too entranced by our lobster bisque, because we definitely would have remembered this!!

The salmon is perfectly cooked to a tender and juicy medium. The outside delicately flakes away while the inside remains meltingly soft and vibrantly coral coloured. The marinade is earthy and salty yet perfectly balanced. The basmati rice is nutty and complimented by the sweet edamame and the rich hojumiji mushrooms. We each practically licked our plates clean. This was absolutely the star of the evening.

Our server, Dan, told us that the salmon is “day-boat” caught. This means that it was in the ocean, in Alaska on Oct 27th and on our plates on Oct 28th. Wow!

Sadly, Chef Hunnell told us (when we toured the kitchen after the meal) that he was planning on changing the salmon preparation soon. How soon, I don’t know. If this item is still on the menu, I highly recommend it.

Subbed and eagerly awaiting your next post! Can't wait to go there in Oct. That bread looks amazing!

I've never wanted to lick a computer screen before but that salmon looks that good!

I'm guessing you get nice and full with a meal from V&A.

Bread 2

This is the point in the meal when the second bread is served, typically a brioche, my favorite! However, it was not served. This will come up later….

The reason it wasn’t served? An incredibly interesting table was seated behind us. It was a couple, and they ordered an exceptionally extravagant meal. From what I saw, upgrades included the full ounce of caviar for each ($180/person), the turbot for each ($30/person), the wagyu for each ($80/person) in addition, I saw two bottles of wine, one white, the other red, that I would estimate at $250-$350/bottle. (In case you were adding…the meal likely cost between $1600 and $1900). This table shared the same servers as us and we noticed, from time to time, that they were a touch distracted by the VIPs. It wasn’t enough to be a real service flaw (as the table was fascinating to observe) but it was slightly irritating when they forgot the bread service.

3rd Course
Hot Appetizer

For the third course we had three options (again, please forgive me as I don’t have my menus. I will update to add detailed course descriptions very soon), the traditional duck three ways, a butternut squash soup and a roulade of rabbit.

Generally, we are a foodie family. I have tried all sorts of game such as buffalo, elk, venison, ostrich, wild boar, duck…but I cannot wrap my head around eating rabbit. No matter how hard I try, no matter how many times I hear how delicious it is, I just can’t. The same goes for DMom, DDad and my best friend. I think a large factor is that I had a rabbit as a pet, as did Tania.

Anyways, as a result we had two courses from which to choose. DMom and Tania selected the Butternut Squash Soup with Butternut Tortelini. I love soup presentation at V&A. The server sets down a warmed bowl and pours the soup from a heated pitcher to ensure that the soup stays the perfect temperature for your entire course. The tortelini was served on the side and was a one bite wonder based on the fact that both practically inhaled it! I was able to steal one spoonful of the soup and it was creamy, rich and slightly spiced (I would guess nutmeg…allspice…cinnamon or the like).

ry%3D400

DDad and I selected the Duck Three Ways. In fact, DDad and I have never selected any other option for this course. What is interesting is that the pairing and execution have changed ever so slightly each time we have had it. Our first variation was paired with cherries, the second with butternut squash and the this time, it was paired with strawberry.

The duck breast was served with a pomegranate strawberry gastric. The sausage was served with salsify, dried strawberry slivers and the confit was served with a strawberry rhubarb puree. The sweet tangy strawberries perfectly accented the rich, fatty duck. Loved it!

ry%3D400

I'm loving your review of V&A, definately on my wish list to do! Will be showing DH your photos so far to entice him. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter