A CRUISE? Cheapest way to "DO" Disney?

Thanks all for great suggestions...
Can someone please PM me a name of a recommended TA. I would be curious to call and give it whirl. I'm happy to give business if it's costing the same.

Also... tipping... I am hearing a certain amount per person per day. Do you just leave that out somewhere... or are you actually handing out dollars to people who help you along the way?

I will definitely do some reading on these boards. We have had a rough Fall and I just didn't really have the energy to put into this yet... and now I realize I have almost missed my window of opportunity for this December...

Thank you a 1000x times over.

Thanks all for great suggestions...
Can someone please PM me a name of a recommended TA. I would be curious to call and give it whirl. I'm happy to give business if it's costing the same.

Also... tipping... I am hearing a certain amount per person per day. Do you just leave that out somewhere... or are you actually handing out dollars to people who help you along the way?

I will definitely do some reading on these boards. We have had a rough Fall and I just didn't really have the energy to put into this yet... and now I realize I have almost missed my window of opportunity for this December...

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Dreams Unlimited knows WDW as well as DCL. They can give you advice on the cost of both vacation options.

Later,
Dan

Tips will be automatically added to your account. With the exception of tipping porters and for room service (if you use it) it's pretty much a cashless system on board.

I vote for the cruise....for SO many reasons!

Have you considered the Dec 4th, 4 day on the Magic out of Miami? You can get an inside room for the four of you for $ 2,081.24 (go for the slightly more expensive category 10c, which should have a split bath). The Magic just went through some upgrades and should have that brand new feeling. The cruise goes to Castaway Cay, which is DCL's private island and the activities are included in the cruise fare. It also goes to Key West, which is pretty inexpensive to get around and/or find something to do. Tickets to the aquarium are pretty easy on the wallet, even more so if you buy them online in advance. It's a short walk from the cruise port.

If you're flying SW, you'll have to fly into FLL and transfer to port of MIA, but that really isn't any different than flying into MCO (Orlando) and getting out to Port Canaveral. Actually, it is different because it's a lot less expensive to find transportation from FLL to port of MIA than from MCO to Port Canaveral.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

I vote for the cruise....for SO many reasons!

Have you considered the Dec 4th, 4 day on the Magic out of Miami? You can get an inside room for the four of you for $ 2,081.24 (go for the slightly more expensive category 10c, which should have a split bath). The Magic just went through some upgrades and should have that brand new feeling. The cruise goes to Castaway Cay, which is DCL's private island and the activities are included in the cruise fare. It also goes to Key West, which is pretty inexpensive to get around and/or find something to do. Tickets to the aquarium are pretty easy on the wallet, even more so if you buy them online in advance. It's a short walk from the cruise port.

If you're flying SW, you'll have to fly into FLL and transfer to port of MIA, but that really isn't any different than flying into MCO (Orlando) and getting out to Port Canaveral. Actually, it is different because it's a lot less expensive to find transportation from FLL to port of MIA than from MCO to Port Canaveral.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a little worried about an inside room since I have never cruised before maybe it's all for naught. That's why I thought the Dream for the four of us for a veranda room for $1600 was a good deal... maybe I'm wrong?

I thought the fresh air might be good for me? I do get motion sickness super easy so maybe inside is better? I'm just afraid I'll feel claustrophobic without a window or fresh air?

A new ship sounds appealing too.

I vote cruise! You can control the budget better, and you'll have more opportunity for princess-specific interactions onboard than at WDW. There is usually at least 2 princess gatherings on a 3-night cruise, and they sometimes go to the Oceaneer Club for a little story-hour and craft. Also chances to catch them around the ship, and in shows.

Inside staterooms and lower decks are recommended for motion sickness -- you are closer to the center of the ship so less motion.

I agree car rental will likely be your cheapest option, we got an intermediate one-way for just about $50 total (taxes, fees, etc.). You can find a low-cost hotel in Cocoa Beach (we stayed at LaQuinta CocoaBeach -- not grand but clean enough for 1 night and a free breakfast). Count in your tips of $144 for the 3-night cruise, you can even pre-pay this if you'd prefer. Plan a little souvenir money -- and you can be off the ship without any additional expenses.

At WDW...to keep costs down you would want to do minimal park days -- those first 3 days of park tickets are the most expensive part of the vacation. And you'd probably need to closely watch your food budget, which means either staying offsite and cooking meals or having a rental car to get to offsite restauranats. 1900 Park Fare has a dinner with Cinderella, but even that meal is going to be expensive if you are on a budget; dining at the castle in MK will be much more! The princess tea at the Grand Floridian is also pricey. While I agree there is a lot to do at WDW without even hitting the parks -- if "princess" is your main goal you'll be limited.

As a PP suggested, contact Dreams Unlimited or another TA who knows Disney vacations well. They'll steer you right!

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a little worried about an inside room since I have never cruised before maybe it's all for naught. That's why I thought the Dream for the four of us for a veranda room for $1600 was a good deal... maybe I'm wrong?

I thought the fresh air might be good for me? I do get motion sickness super easy so maybe inside is better? I'm just afraid I'll feel claustrophobic without a window or fresh air?

We had the same worry too about the inside staterooms. My wife and I traveled on the Wonder with our three kids in connecting cat 10c's so it will be similar to the Magic stateroom wise except we had 2. I was freaked out. I wanted an outside room bad and tried to justify it. But since we are a family of 5 with 2 girls (10 and 4) and an infant we needed two rooms and couldn't afford it. Let me tell you we were amazed. The insides on the magic are big. They don't feel claustrophobic at all. You can easily step outside your room and go up on deck. Plus with young kids we actually found that they sleep way later in the inside rooms so that was a HUGE blessing on vacation. We had trouble getting them up by 9.

I would completely recommend a longer cruise and going inside if the price is right. You'll get more out of the extra day on the ship than you will having a verandah in my opinion. To me the inside is no different than a hotel that you can't open the window and having the curtains closed. Also have you looked into sailing on the Wonder out of Galveston? You might be able to get a 7 day for a lot less that way. I haven't priced it but I have found that the cruises that leave out of Galveston run about the same as a 5 day out of FL or maybe cheaper. You could fly into Houston Hobby and then rent a car from Enterprise to drive to Galveston and return it there.

Can I ask you a stupid question? Why, if you are prone to motion sickness easily, are you considering a cruise? It doesn't sound like the best choice for someone who gets motion sickness.

Can I ask you a stupid question? Why, if you are prone to motion sickness easily, are you considering a cruise? It doesn't sound like the best choice for someone who gets motion sickness.

It depends on what kind of motion sickness is the trigger. I get carsick and can't do rides like the Teacups, but have no problem on cruise ships.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

It depends on what kind of motion sickness is the trigger. I get carsick and can't do rides like the Teacups, but have no problem on cruise ships. Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Same here. Anything that spins is a no but cruising doesn't bother me at all.

It depends on what kind of motion sickness is the trigger. I get carsick and can't do rides like the Teacups, but have no problem on cruise ships.

Yes... my motion sickness would be in a car (sitting in the back seats)... rides at a park, swinging on a swing, etc....

..... and I'm considering it since I've heard so many stories from people thru the years who say they suffer from motion sickness and don't have problems on cruises... I suppose it is a risk.... (I did just read a trip report of a couple who had a problem and she suggested starting medication a day or two in advance.)

We had the same worry too about the inside staterooms. My wife and I traveled on the Wonder with our three kids in connecting cat 10c's so it will be similar to the Magic stateroom wise except we had 2. I was freaked out. I wanted an outside room bad and tried to justify it. But since we are a family of 5 with 2 girls (10 and 4) and an infant we needed two rooms and couldn't afford it. Let me tell you we were amazed. The insides on the magic are big. They don't feel claustrophobic at all. You can easily step outside your room and go up on deck. Plus with young kids we actually found that they sleep way later in the inside rooms so that was a HUGE blessing on vacation. We had trouble getting them up by 9.

I would completely recommend a longer cruise and going inside if the price is right. You'll get more out of the extra day on the ship than you will having a verandah in my opinion. To me the inside is no different than a hotel that you can't open the window and having the curtains closed. Also have you looked into sailing on the Wonder out of Galveston? You might be able to get a 7 day for a lot less that way. I haven't priced it but I have found that the cruises that leave out of Galveston run about the same as a 5 day out of FL or maybe cheaper. You could fly into Houston Hobby and then rent a car from Enterprise to drive to Galveston and return it there.

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate them... will check into Galveston. Good to know about the inside rooms.

I have really bad motion sickness, but love to cruise. I start taking bonine 2 days before I cruise, every night of the cruise and I learned last time to take it for a few days after as well.

But isn't that a huge risk? You are risking your vacation and thousands of dollars that cruise ships won't be a trigger or that if they are, bonine or seabands or something will work for you. And for many people cruise ships are a trigger and for many of them they don't get relief from bonine or seabands.

I mean, if I had endless vacation time and thousands of extra dollars and was prone to motion sickness, I'd take the risk on a three day cruise and see - but that doesn't seem to be the case here, they get one shot for a good vacation. If she is triggered and doesn't get relief, it will be a miserable experience.

Keep the verandah and the Dream! On the four night most of the ship's travel was done during sleeping hours. The kids will love the Aqua Duck and the MidShip Detective game. There's lots of interaction with characters, much more so than you would see in the Parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter