A couple of questions

VeronicaB

Mouseketeer
I'm new to the DVC area of DIS. My husband and I are researching resale DVCs. This looks like the best option for us after comparing the costs with direct purchase. I know you cannot use your points with DCL and adventures when you buy resale, but can you still go to DL, HHI, VB, etc? Also do you still get the discounts on annual passes?

We have two small children and we see a Disney vacation in our future on a yearly basis for a VERY long time and with the right amount of points we could even do a quick adult only getaway.

Thanks for your help!!!

I'm new to the DVC area of DIS. My husband and I are researching resale DVCs. This looks like the best option for us after comparing the costs with direct purchase. I know you cannot use your points with DCL and adventures when you buy resale, but can you still go to DL, HHI, VB, etc? Also do you still get the discounts on annual passes?

resale buyers can still trade within the DVC system (VGC at DL, HHI, VB, aulani as well as wdw DVC resorts) subject to availability at 7 months out.

resale buyers can also trade through RCI although that is often a trade down and not a great value.

resale buyers currently get the same perks on AP discounts and dining/shopping discounts as direct purchasers, but those kinds of perks can change at any time...for both direct and resale purchasers.

i would definitely recommend resale purchases.

Thanks so much! We are definitely doing resale, we have to wait a while so we can save, but it will be worth it!

While you are saving, take plenty of time to read everything you can here on the DIS about the ins and outs of ownership, resort differences, UY, Banking and borrowing, dues, and DVC policies, rules, and restrictions.

You will be spending a lot of money to buy your contract, pay your dues each year, and even more for your yearly luxury vacations. Being an informed buyer can and will save you money down the road.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks Bill! I am researching like its my job! I've learned SO much from all of you already! Which is how I came about the resale thing. I'm trying to decide on our UY and which home resort we would want. I'm leaning toward BCV because of the pool complex or maybe Boardwalk. I think the kids would enjoy it the most. The pool and proximity to Epcot, boat to DHS, and the monorail from Epcot to TTC. When I research it becomes a crazy obsession. My husband makes fun of my researching. LOL

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks Bill! I am researching like its my job! I've learned SO much from all of you already! Which is how I came about the resale thing. I'm trying to decide on our UY and which home resort we would want. I'm leaning toward BCV because of the pool complex or maybe Boardwalk. I think the kids would enjoy it the most. The pool and proximity to Epcot, boat to DHS, and the monorail from Epcot to TTC. When I research it becomes a crazy obsession. My husband makes fun of my researching. LOL

Thanks again for your help!

We bought our first contract in 1996. When we decided to add on, I spent 2 years doing additional research and staying at the DVC resorts. We now own at 5 resorts and I am still learning. ;)

:earsboy: Bill

I read everything I could get my hands on here at DIS for about a year prior to actively looking for a resale contract. There is a wealth of information on here and I find most people very willing to help answer any questions.

Our home resort is Boardwalk Villas and we purchased there due to the proximity of Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We love that we can walk or boat to both (and even take the monorail to Magic Kingdom by walking through Epcot)
So my biggest piece of advice (and one that was given to me) is to purchase where you would be happy staying as your home resort.

We are in the process of adding an additional contract right now. Although we are probably a lot older than beginner DVC members (I'm 57 and he's 62) we now have 2 small grandchildren and look forward to many years of seeing Disney through their eyes (and not to mention I am a big kid in many ways!)

Good luck on your journey!:)

I purchased resale about ten years ago and haven't regretted it at all. I'm like you, in that I am older than most owners, but love going to Disney with the grandchildren.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!