A couple of AutoTrain Questions

famouschinesec

Mouseketeer
We just booked the autotrain for later this month. I've read all the recent info on the threads, but I also know there were some older threads that I just can't find.
1. Because we have an "oversize" vehicle ( a Honda van) and we have to be checked in by 2PM at the latest, we plan on arriving Lorton between 12:30 and 1PM. After you check in, what do you do until 4PM when the train leaves? Is there anyplace to go, or do you just hang out in the terminal like you would in an airport. About what time do they start "boarding" the train?
2. I booked lower coach seats as opposed to upper seats, based on what I read on the boards some time ago about them being a little less affected by movement. Can anyone confirm? Also I had read a while ago that there are some bathrooms with showers on the lower level; can anyone confirm that?
3. At this time we have not booked a roomette (we would actually need 2). I have also read that when you check in and/or board that if there are roomettes available, you might be able to purchase for less than what they are selling for on the website. Does anyone have any experience with that ?
Thanks in advance for any info.

We just booked the autotrain for later this month. I've read all the recent info on the threads, but I also know there were some older threads that I just can't find.
1. Because we have an "oversize" vehicle ( a Honda van) and we have to be checked in by 2PM at the latest, we plan on arriving Lorton between 12:30 and 1PM. After you check in, what do you do until 4PM when the train leaves? Is there anyplace to go, or do you just hang out in the terminal like you would in an airport. About what time do they start "boarding" the train?
2. I booked lower coach seats as opposed to upper seats, based on what I read on the boards some time ago about them being a little less affected by movement. Can anyone confirm? Also I had read a while ago that there are some bathrooms with showers on the lower level; can anyone confirm that?
3. At this time we have not booked a roomette (we would actually need 2). I have also read that when you check in and/or board that if there are roomettes available, you might be able to purchase for less than what they are selling for on the website. Does anyone have any experience with that ?
Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Yes you kind of just hang around. There's a strip mall across the street but its not easy to get to. There is a small play ground.

I think they started to board around 3:00 and will leave early if everyone has checked in.

2. Maybe the rocking is less I really didn't notice a diff. The bathrooms are on the first level but there are no showers for coach.

3. I've read this but have no first hand experience.

My few experiences with booking accommmodations at the station did not render a discount on a roomette. We were quoted the same rate that was posted on their website each time. I have read that some have gotten a discount, but haven't experienced the same good fortune.:confused3

In November I upgraded from coach to Roomette at the station, and the price was not discounted, it was the same as the price on the web site.

They also started to board about 2:30.

We have stayed in roomettes on the lower level and there is less rocking on the lower level, but there is still some rocking.

We arrive with our van at 12:30 or so and bypass the booth outside, parking in the temporary lot to the left and checking in inside. At check in we get our tickets and pick our meal time. We then drive away to get lunch, usually at a shopping center a mile or two to the left as you exit. We then return at 2:15 to 2:30 (they will tell you what time you need to be back) and check in at the booth, at which time they give you your magnetic check in number. Then the wait in the terminal is only 30-45 minutes until boarding.

This works well for us since the kids are not stuck in the terminal for several hours before boarding. It also allows us to check in early and get our choice of meal time.

Steve

Steve; thanks, that's good info. What all is in the shopping center food wise? . Are we talking a strip mall? Just looking for someplace to kill some time. We only have an hour drive to get there, but not taking any chances with traffic. Just my luck it will be the overturned tractor trailer on the beltway kind of day.

It is a strip mall that has a pretty good sit down pizza type restaurant. There is also a McDonalds and (I think) a few other choices. The shopping center also has a dollar store where we let the kids pick out some snacks and distractions for the train trip.

If you go to google maps and type in "autotrain lorton va" you will see the area. You make a left out of the parking lot onto Lorton Rd. and the shopping center is at the intersection of Lorton Rd and Route 1. Google maps shows "Papa John's Pizza" but it is not the chain "Papa Johns" where you take your pizza to go.

There is also a strip shopping mall accross Lorton Road that has some restaurants.

Steve

We arrive with our van at 12:30 or so and bypass the booth outside, parking in the temporary lot to the left and checking in inside. At check in we get our tickets and pick our meal time. We then drive away to get lunch, usually at a shopping center a mile or two to the left as you exit. We then return at 2:15 to 2:30 (they will tell you what time you need to be back) and check in at the booth, at which time they give you your magnetic check in number. Then the wait in the terminal is only 30-45 minutes until boarding.

This works well for us since the kids are not stuck in the terminal for several hours before boarding. It also allows us to check in early and get our choice of meal time.

Steve

I really like this plan. Last year we ended up waiting at the station for about 4 hours and the whole time I was thinking that I could have been in N.C. by the time the train left.

We loved taking the train.

My family and I will be taking the auto train in May. Thanks for the great info about the strip mall & pizza place for lunch!

Our plan was to get there at 1:30. We ended up getting there about 4 minutes late. We had a 5 hour drive and I didn't want to be late.

We packed a lunch that morning and after we checked in, ate in the little park at the station. We had heard the later you check in the longer the wait. After we went outside we saw the lines start to build at the car check in and the desk. We found out as we left the station that we had a completely full train.

Since this was our first time we just explored the area watched them load the cars.

We also pull in beyond the booth to the left and get checked in and then drive over to the same plaza as OP mentioned. Usually DH has some mail to drop off at the post office. We always hit the $1 store- let the kids pick out some toys to play with. We usually grab McDonalds and bring it back to the station.

There are outlets in the floor under the seats so we usually have a dvd playing for the kids. Waiting isnt' too bad.

We are returning for our 6th AT trip to WDW this Aug! 152 days till we board the AT

enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter