A comment about moore's bad editing in F 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by KarenC
I think the President could have left the classroom without announcing to those kids what had happened. "Excuse me, I have to go" would have sufficed.

I wonder if the President had left to discuss the situation with his aides if small children whose parents were in the Pentagon might still have their moms or dads.
I would like to know what you think could have been done between 9:05 and 9:12 to prevent the Pentagon from being hit. Specifically please. Just one plausible scenario.

Of course, you would have to know what wasn't already being done by staff between 9:05 and 9:12 that Bush would have been doing in that time.

Hey I learned something on this thread. I realized that the government could save itself TONS of money because all it really needs is the President to run the country. After all, these other people can't do a thing on their own. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kbeverina
I would like to know what you think could have been done between 9:05 and 9:12 to prevent the Pentagon from being hit. Specifically please. Just one plausible scenario.

I'd be interested in knowing that as well, especially since NORAD wasn't alerted by the FAA about the hijacking of Flight 77 until almost 9:30...

Originally posted by Nancy
After the first tower fell I did have a thought about picking the kids up but I was such a wreck not knowing where 3 members of my family were that I decided to leave them there.
I never picked up my kids either. When parents were calling, they were being asked to leave the kids in school so they wouldn't be overly alarmed. It was felt at the time that a low-key reaction was best for them.

And I was also trying to determine what was going on with family members--as soon as I heard the guy saying the Pentagon was hit I picked up the phone and tried to call my husband, but couldn't get through. The plane hitting caused the building alarms to go off and they were evacuated to the streets. He said they thought the sound of the fighter jets coming in was another plane--they were scared silly. I was also calling around to family members who work at federal buildings to make sure they'd gotten home okay.

But through it all I was thinking about what I was going to tell my kids, how much to tell them, wondering how much they already knew, etc. I did think it was best for them to be at school and not see me frantically trying to get a hold of my husband by phone, cell phone or computer (which I never did until later that night--I was worried because he'd taken the train to work and they weren't running and he was diabetic and the pharmacy would be closed down and he'd be stuck in Crystal City without insulin or food).

Originally posted by KarenC
I wonder if the President had left to discuss the situation with his aides if small children whose parents were in the Pentagon might still have their moms or dads.
:rolleyes: Right, 7 additional minutes of discussion -- interrupting people who were most likely trying to obtain more information, make arrangements to leave ahead of schedule, etc. -- would have spared the Pentagon.

Of course, we all know Pres. Bush is to blame totally and completely for every life that was lost on 9/11/2001. :rolleyes:

7 minutes? What happened the next 7 minutes? Or the next 70 for that matter. Not a whole lot, just a lot of aimless flying around incommunicado except for using someone's cell phone.
George W's calm during a storm does seem amazing to many citizens of the US of A. Part of his position is to serve and protect you and me. That is the same for any elected official or member of the military. Part of my position in life is to protect my daughter. If I had a message that her school had just collapsed and there were several injuries, you can be 100% sure I wouldn't continue work, whether it was presentation, a meeting or what have you. I would be on the phone, in the car and off. How would I look as a mother if I continued working and delayed any action.
Yes, it would have looked rash if he made a scene while leaving his engagement, but he could have stopped and calmly left to attend to matters that were of utmost importance instead of staying and reading Caps For Sale or whatever.

Originally posted by Elwood Blues
Actually, I'm having a hard time with that. Care to help me out?
Practice, young grasshopper. When you can use the scroll mouse with superior speed, so as to make the words appear as transient as a mist, then you will achieve the ability to see through the fog being blown your way and understand truth.

Or you can just use the Ignore function.

Either way works just fine!! :jester:

Originally posted by betz
If I had a message that her school had just collapsed and there were several injuries, you can be 100% sure I wouldn't continue work, whether it was presentation, a meeting or what have you. I would be on the phone, in the car and off.

That wasn't the case YET. You are getting ahead of the timeline.

Originally posted by AirForceRocks
I'd be interested in knowing that as well, especially since NORAD wasn't alerted by the FAA about the hijacking of Flight 77 until almost 9:30...
Well, Miss Jasmine offered the "Superman" scenario...

Oh, right ... you and kbeverina are looking for plausible scenarios. Why do I get the feeling that we shouldn't hold our collective breath while waiting for one?

Originally posted by IamTink
I must have been in a box because I never knew he hesitated for that long to make a decision.
What decision did he hesitate to make between 9:05am and 9:12am? What decision are you talking about?

Did you hear the tapes where the FAA and NORAD were debating back and forth about scrambling fighter jets? They were the ones making that decision, not the president between 9:05 and 9:12.

And why do so many people have their panties in a knot :tongue:regarding Bush leaving a class w/kids? Big deal, so he has to leave a room he shouldn't have gone into. Read my reasons why in previous posts.
Again, it wasn't just that he didn't want to leave the youngsters high and dry. He wanted to portray strength and calm to the rest of the nation. Please explain how that is "messing up badly".

Come on, don't you watch "24"?

7 minutes? What happened the next 7 minutes? Or the next 70 for that matter. Not a whole lot, just a lot of aimless flying around incommunicado except for using someone's cell phone.
George W's calm during a storm does seem amazing to many citizens of the US of A. Part of his position is to serve and protect you and me. That is the same for any elected official or member of the military. Part of my position in life is to protect my daughter. If I had a message that her school had just collapsed and there were several injuries, you can be 100% sure I wouldn't continue work, whether it was presentation, a meeting or what have you. I would be on the phone, in the car and off. How would I look as a mother if I continued working and delayed any action.
Yes, it would have looked rash if he made a scene while leaving his engagement, but he could have stopped and calmly left to attend to matters that were of utmost importance instead of staying and reading Caps For Sale or whatever.
Yeah, but I'm afraid that all the telephone booths in the area had been replaced with wall mounted models. And changing into his superhero tights, cape and mask in the men's room just doesn't have the same style and panache. :rolleyes:

Even the Vice Chairman of the 9/11 Committee thought the President did the right thing by remaining calm and not running out of the classroom.

If I had a message that her school had just collapsed and there were several injuries..

When he was told something in his ear in that classroom, it wasn't much info YET. Even I, watching it live, thought the first plane hit was an accident.

I can't believe all these Monday morning Quarterbacks.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by jrydberg
The bipartisan 9/11 commission seemed satisified that Bush reacted appropriately given the circumstances. Really, I think those who criticize President Bush over this damage their own credibility. If President Bush sneezed, I'm sure there'd be a critique of it.

There's plenty of legitimate reason to criticize him. This is not one.

I agree!!! ::yes::

Originally posted by dmadman43
Then why even discuss it? What was Moore's point in this "docuementary" other than to make Bush look bad? (he asked, rhetorically)

The point of Moores movie was to show how unnecessary the war in Iraq is. It just happens that, that little war wasnt so necessary after all.

Originally posted by wvrevy
Do you people honestly think that sitting in front of an elementary school classroom was the best place the president could have been in that time ? Would anybody have blamed him for simply saying that something had arisen that demanded his attention and excusing himself ?
Isn't that basically what he did? He was scheduled for a much longer visit and scheduled for a press conference regarding the proposals he was there to launch. But he was informed of the second plane hitting at 9:05am and as his staff worked to arrange calls and his departure, he wrapped his talk with the children and excused himself by 9:12am.

But can we not at least agree that sitting there like a bump on a log after the initial attack wasn't exactly the most productive use of that time ?
We could agree on that if you could provide evidence that this is actually what happened.

Originally posted by jason
The point of Moores movie was to show how unnecessary the war in Iraq is. It just happens that, that little war wasnt so necessary after all.
Right! Why depose a tyrant who savagely murdered thousands of his own people, who collaborated with terrorists and who was building chemical and biological weapons? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; the right to choose one's own form of government; the right of those governed to have a voice in how they are governed; the right to free speech and free press -- nah, these are not necessary things at all. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jason
jason, have you seen the movie?

Right! Why depose a tyrant who savagely murdered thousands of his own people, who collaborated with terrorists and who was building chemical and biological weapons? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; the right to choose one's own form of government; the right of those governed to have a voice in how they are governed; the right to free speech and free press -- nah, these are not necessary things at all.

Then who is in line next? There are plenty of terrorized nations. Where do we go next? Are we now in the business of bringing liberty to the rest of the world? The issue at hand when Bush first wanted war was WMD. He quickly changed his tune when it became obvious they didn't exist.

So, where do we go attack next (while the attacker of our nation has less than half of Iraq's force looking for him)? Funny that we chose Iraq to liberate in the middle of our own true crisis.

Hmmm let's see..:scratchin where to go next...where to go.

(Miss Cleo has a serious side sometimes....*cough* ;) )

Originally posted by Eeyore1954
Right! Why depose a tyrant who savagely murdered thousands of his own people, who collaborated with terrorists and who was building chemical and biological weapons? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; the right to choose one's own form of government; the right of those governed to have a voice in how they are governed; the right to free speech and free press -- nah, these are not necessary things at all. :rolleyes:

Ah, are those the reasons for today, Steve? I didn't get that memo yet, I guess. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter