• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A close friend gifted me with a Bible

If a friend of mine of 40 years gave me a bible, I would have no qualms about saying thank you and give it back with the suggestion that they give it to someone who would actually appreciate it.

I read all books I receive, whether I think I'll like them or not. Knowledge is power. If I've read it & don't want to keep it, I'd donate it. I'd only recycle it, if I knew that no organization in the area would want it.

Flip through it to make sire she didn't hide money in it to see if you'd read it. I used to have a boss like that. He'd hide a $20 bill in a dust pile to see if anyone would sweep it up LOL

I had a BOSS once that gave me a bible as a gift because she felt I was living a hedonistic lifestyle (I was 22 and casually dating a few different guys.). THAT was offensive to me as I was very open about being an atheist.

I am not interested in reading it so is there a nice way to let her know that?

Thank you very much. Then put it away.

Why not? Seriously curious. Bibles aren't exactly in short supply. I get them left on my doorstep all the time by the LDS people. I throw them away every time.

Just put it in Goodwill or local donation box.

If a friend of mine of 40 years gave me a bible, I would have no qualms about saying thank you and give it back with the suggestion that they give it to someone who would actually appreciate it.

Not very gracious or polite. It would be the last gift I gave you. To me every gift is given from the heart, so here let me stomp on it.

Not very gracious or polite. It would be the last gift I gave you. To me every gift is given from the heart, so here let me stomp on it.

I'm trying to tread carefully here so as not to violate any board policies. To me, giving a bible is an unusual gift to give a friend unless you go to church together or bible study together or something like that. It presumes that your friend is of the same religious beliefs as you are. I understand that you can read the bible without being a Christian, but it just simply is not the same as giving any other book to read. The gift of a bible brings with it certain connotations, intended or unintended, and I don't think it's an appropriate gift unless, as I mentioned earlier, you're 100% sure of someone's faith and that they'd be receptive of the gift.

Actually, it is polite, because I am acknowledging that it represents beliefs that are special for them while reminding them that those beliefs are not mine. Of course, a friend of 40 years would know better, so the discussion is academic.

OP...I'm surprised a friend knowing you over 40 years would not be aware that you wouldn't appreciate a Bible.

It does seem unusual. But, I have had people become Christian and begin to feel the need to convert (or try to) everyone around them. They feel called to do so. I appreciate the sentiment, but still believe you should only give a Bible to someone you KNOW is going to appreciate it, not someone you are trying to convert. If you feel compelled to try to convert me, I'd rather you say something like "You know, I've found a lot of helpful information in the Bible....would you like me to get you one?" I can politely decline if I like, or accept. That way, you can spread your message without wasting your money on a gift I may not appreciate.

If it were my friend I would accept it then donate it. I would probably do what Magpie mentioned about taking out the first page just because I would find that of sentimental value.

But I also have to admit my two best friends of 22 years or so and 16 years or so would never give me a bible. One friend isn't really religious and the other knows I'm not really religious (well the other one knows that as well but this friend that knows I'm not religious is a bit more religious than me if that makes sense). Now they would however give me a book they think I might like because they know I'm an avid book lover but it would in no way shape or form be a bible or something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter