A cicada got me today

First off, glad I moved from MD

You made the right move! Local news just reported that we here in MD should wear a hat or use a umbrella while in the woods/under any tree for the duration due to the amount of cicada pee coming down. They used the word 'rain':scared:

What's weird is how localized they are. DS lives in southern Maryland, about 90 miles from me, and they don't have them but works in DC where they do have them.

It is weird! I'm not terribly far from you, especially as the crow flies, and all we've seen is one hole in the ground. I keep looking and watching and listening and waiting...I just know I'll walk out onto the porch once morning and there they will be!

You made the right move! Local news just reported that we here in MD should wear a hat or use a umbrella while in the woods/under any tree for the duration due to the amount of cicada pee coming down. They used the word 'rain':scared:

It is weird! I'm not terribly far from you, especially as the crow flies, and all we've seen is one hole in the ground. I keep looking and watching and listening and waiting...I just know I'll walk out onto the porch once morning and there they will be!
The pee is called honeydew which makes it sound nice!

This year we get a reprieve from that in my state (last time the 17-year ones were in 2015 for us), thank goodness because dang are they loud!

There’s a mouse plague going on in rural Australia right now and after seeing that Ill happily take noisy cicadas over that!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-57225103

Thousands of mice just everywhere beyond what you can imagine.
Australia is this strange wild place. The citizens there get my immense kudos for dealing with all the stuff they do. I mean I've got wildlife in my area but there's is like on another galaxy.

Australia is this strange wild place. The citizens there get my immense kudos for dealing with all the stuff they do. I mean I've got wildlife in my area but there's is like on another galaxy.

Oh, I know. I was once watching Steve Irwin as he hunted the "10 most deadly snakes in the world," all in Australia of course. He found two on the same property, one in a guy's garage! Everyone's just acting like it's no big deal.

I swatted 3 of them of me on my dog walk today, but I missed one on my back and brought it home. It's now under a plastic cup waiting for DH to come home and get rid of it. Yuk!

Truth in advertising. I'm heading up there next week for a wedding much to my dismay. (Last trip up there).
The wedding is supposed to be outside. This should be interesting. Don't think the bride knew about the Cicada invasion. Pictures should be fun with cicada jewelry adorning the wedding party.

Truth in advertising. I'm heading up there next week for a wedding much to my dismay. (Last trip up there).
The wedding is supposed to be outside. This should be interesting. Don't think the bride knew about the Cicada invasion. Pictures should be fun with cicada jewelry adorning the wedding party.

If it's a place that was developed in the last 17 years, there won't be as many. They are really loud in the older established areas (like my yard).

Very noticably louder today. I was just outside weedwacking, and their droning could be heard even over the weedwacker--:(

They are. They are louder than the ringing in my ears. Thankfully, they seem to only chirp during the day, not evenings.

I alternate between the wonder of nature - this is pretty cool - and disgust. Thankfully, my dog doesn't eat them, so I don't have to take precautions.

Sounds fun!
Maybe you’ll get lucky and your location won’t have them yet-

Coming from the midwest we had them in the 17 (or so) year cycle. Harmless, but every summer some would be off cycle and you could hear them! Glad I live in the desert and don't deal with them anymore.

The above map was dated 18 May, so just a week ago.

Here is a closer version (apologies, my computer skills are limited-)
So as someone on the Eastern Shore of MD I can see why I'm not really seeing them even though others in northern & north western MD are getting the full brunt of it in my immediate area,. Yellow is the Brood X/2021 so if you see yellow where you live, hunker down ha ha!

Is it me, or do these 17 year Cicadas come every other year? We just had them 2 years ago. They were very loud on my bike rides through some areas.

And I thought they were every 7 years. Now it's every 17 years? The Cicadas are like restaurant tipping, changing all the time. We're up to 22% for that now.

Not much of this brood in north NJ so far but they are coming out in the south
5CFA6C5E-B9CC-44E0-B22D-5224FABC86F0.jpeg
That’s in Princeton NJ- May 23, ‘21 (nj.com)

Is it me, or do these 17 year Cicadas come every other year? We just had them 2 years ago. They were very loud on my bike rides through some areas.

And I thought they were every 7 years. Now it's every 17 years? The Cicadas are like restaurant tipping, changing all the time. We're up to 22% for that now.

How often it cycles depends on the species in your area. There are some that come up every year, and some that go in multiyear cycles. My shady yard has the every year kind, and we also had a brood that hatched out last year, so we're past the worst of it here for awhile.

I went for a walk today when I had a pretty sharp pain on my leg between where my leggings ended and my sock. I stopped and looked down and a cicada was on me. It either bit me or stuck it’s claws into me. Well did I scream. Lol. It’s gonna be a long few weeks around here till they are gone.
...um.....EWWWWW.

I'm just wondering... will the heavy rains and cold weather affect these critters at all or will they just come back with the good weather? Did anyone know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter