a change I wish I could make

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mom4fun, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Ofinn

Ofinn DIS Veteran

Vacations can be more educational than sitting in a classroom. It really depends on the parent.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Ofinn

Ofinn DIS Veteran

Totally agree. It's up to the parent and how much they want to teach their child. Most parents want the school to educate their child. They don't want to be bothered with the responsibility so therefore vacation is never educational.

4. tanyam76

tanyam76 Mouseketeer

I live in Ontario Canada and we do not need permission, advance notice or the okay to take the kids our for vacation. That said, I still write them a note.

When I was younger the kids in my class that were going on vacation would do some sort of journal, nothing hard at all. But then I never noticed anyone taking advantage of that or it getting out of hand. When I first took my Disney Cruise another DIS'er was mentioning that she could only take 3 days. I was shocked because as much as I believe school is extremely important and I always continue the learning at home with my daughter after school. I feel she needs the time as well to unwind and have a break. It's one week and even though she gets time away from school in the summer, Im not off so she goes to daycare.

What could really happen if you kept them out of school for 5 days?

5. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

It depends on your school district and state. What COULD happen?

-You could be expelled or, more likely, disenrolled.
    -The absence could be unexcused, which would mean any work/tests required that week would receive a zero, which could make you fail the class
    -In some states, like Texas, the parents can be charged with a crime
    -At a private school, you could be asked to leave

Some kids go to schools outside their district, so if they are disenrolled, they might not get back into that school but have to go to the school they are zoned for. If the child is in a magnet or charter school, they could be returned to their zoned school.

I think most often things are not so formal but still have bad consequence. The child isn't favored by the teacher, the child isn't chosen for a sports team ora part in the play, the child loses out on some opportunities. For example, my daughter is trying out for her school play, and try outs are the day BEFORE return from holiday break. The teacher said she would allow 'some' people who can't be there that day to try out the next day, but if a student were to extend the holiday vacation 2-3 days in January, that student will not be in the play (unless it she is a teacher's favorite, then there are no rules). This teacher plays favorites, and when my daughter asks for special consideration, she does not get it. Last year she traveled on Spring Break and came back very very ill and couldn't go to school. The teacher said she couldn't be in the play that they had been practicing all spring.

Nancy

6. natmom

natmom Mouseketeer

Well, the OP said she is from Ontario Canada so there is no consequence to pull your children from school. I can vouch for this as well, I am from Ontario Canada too.

7. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

The OP (who started this thread) never said that and I don't think she is from Canada. Since she said she wished schools would allow people to take their kids out of school, I assume she's in a district that does not allow it (or why wish for it?)

I was responding to tanyam who asked what could happen to people (and I inferred in the US) who just took their kids out for 5 days. It varies by state and school district.

Nancy

8. natmom

natmom Mouseketeer

Sorry, meant the person you were responding to, not the op.

9. vabmama

vabmama Earning My Ears

Yup. This is why I decided to just start my own preschool. I don't miss those 12 hour days and I shower my boys' teachers with praise and gifts and spontaneous Starbucks.

As for the OP. I believe in family time. I did when I taught in a public school and I do now. I believe that vacations can be educational, just not necessarily in a bookish, academia way. Children learn a lot about different cultures, animals, art, etc on vacations. They are exposed to a lot they would not be at home.

My boys are still very little but like to talk about Jamaican wood carvers - this isn't something they'd learn in school. It's just not.

As a teacher I had no problem with family vacations and usually didn't send packets, but I taught kindergarten. I'd just say "take lots of pictures and enjoy!"

As a mom, I do ask for packets and we do them on the plane and then don't look at them again until we are home. It sounds like we are blessed to have schools that are okay with this. :thumbsup2

10. Tashinwdw

Tashinwdw Holidays at WDW - closest I will ever get to being

WOW! this thread has been rather interesting to read, I was not aware of all the issues relating to taking your child out of school. or how strongly some people feel about it.

I am not sure I am game to tell you I am taking my children out of school for 5 weeks for our holiday next year. Though our school years in Australia are very different from yours. All we have to do is complete a school exemption form. The teachers are happy to assist us in any way and think its a wonderful opportunity for the children to travel etc.

11. 4HppyCamprs

4HppyCamprs DIS Veteran

I think it is a blessing that your schools recognize that family time is important :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards