A Celebration Trip Full of Surprises - May 2015 PTR (New 9/15 - New TR Link!)

The Ecstasy and the Agony of Third-Party Bookings

I will warn you in advance that this is not the most exciting post(as no pictures are involved), but I wanted to include it anyway as it describes my experience using Orbitz and Undercover Tourist to plan my vacation.

I have never paid rack rate for a room at Disney World. I actually don’t know anyone that has paid rack rate (although the DISboards are probably the exception rather the rule, as we are so well versed on how to tour Disney).

I booked my resorts in October with Disney in order to get my 180+10 dining perks (as dining is a major part of my vacation experience). In the past, I’ve been able to easily call Disney and add the room or package discounts once they were released.

And then there was this year. :sad2:

I’m a proud Disney Visa cardholder. One of the best perks (other than the dining and tour discounts and the Disney Visa character photo), is most discounts are rolled out to the cardholders prior to the rest of the general population. I get email alerts when those discounts are about to go live.

This year? No such alerts. Why? They decided to roll out the spring discounts directly to the general public WITH NO ALERT FOR THE VISA CARDHOLDERS. :headache:

Needless to say, I missed the discount rollout as I wasn’t even looking for it. As such, by the time I noticed the discount was available I could only get the discount at Pop Century and the Grand Floridian – not at Port Orleans Riverside (the longest chunk of our vacation). :rolleyes: Great, but not quite great enough.

That’s when I started searching these boards and found out about the Orbitz/Cheap Tickets discounts on Disney resorts. I plugged in my resorts and dates , and sure enough – I was able to book all three resorts with the Disney spring discount AND an additional 15% off! Win! :thumbsup2

Booking the resorts was very easy and I rolled the Orbucks I received onto the next booking. I saved somewhere near $1300 by booking all four resorts (including Royal Pacific) through Orbitz. It is a little painful to pay for them upfront, but on a good note, they’re fully paid for!

Many people have mentioned difficulty adding third-party bookings to their MDE account. I found a post that mentioned that Orbitz bookings included a six digit number that could be entered into MDE. Sure enough – the email confirmation from Orbitz for each resort included a fifteen digit Orbitz confirmation number as well as a six digit hotel confirmation number. I entered each hotel confirmation number into MDE and… poof! My hotel reservations were there! Easy as pie!

As an extra bonus, I also received the 12-digit Disney confirmation numbers directly from Disney Destinations via email the following day. It was very easy.

Now we reach the painful part. :scared:

As with any uber-Disney fan and crazy vacation planner, I wanted to add room requests to each of my four resort reservations. ::yes:: I also needed to add my Uncle Wade to the first few nights of our Riverside reservation – he lives in Fort Myers and is going to join us for a long weekend. I didn’t add him on the original Orbitz booking as I didn’t want to pay the extra adult charge for 10 days as he’d only be there for two, but I wanted him on the reservation so he could get a magic band and I could schedule his Fastpass+ reservations.

The first call to Orbitz wasn’t bad – I added all four room requests (which involves telling them to Orbitz and then them contacting Disney to add them to your reservation). You must call Orbitz rather than Disney as Orbitz owns your reservation – Disney folks (at least most of them) can’t see your entire reservation and are unable to see all the modification screens. Orbitz told me I needed to contact Disney directly to add my uncle to the reservation.

o_O

When I called Disney, they said they were unable to reach those screens and I would need to have Orbitz contact them on my behalf.

:confused:

So, I called Orbitz again. That led to a three way call between me, the Orbitz gal, and the representative from Riverside. :mad: After tons of back and forth and my insistence that I’m happy to pay the extra adult charge for two nights but refuse to pay for ten... the Disney representative finally modified the reservation so Anika appears as a child and Wade is added for the entire period (without the charge). I’m sure the Disney guy could see my MDE account and could note Anika is listed as an adult :rolleyes1, but I’m pretty sure he just wanted to get the crazy lady he was speaking with off the phone. :crazy: :rolleyes: I don’t think the Orbitz lady knew what on earth was going on during the entire phone call.

(For the record, I would’ve been happy to pay the additional charge for the two nights that Wade will be joining us, but I don’t understand why they don’t have a work-around for partial stays for third-party bookings. It was a racket.)

:badpc:

Since I was on a roll with the phone calls, I also called Disney Tours to book us for our tour (details to come!) and Magical Express to book our rides to and from the airport.

All of this only took about four hours of my time (if you include the wait time on both Orbitz calls and all three Disney calls). :crazy2: Thank goodness for quiet Sunday afternoons with free cell phone minutes.

Another third party that I used with great success for this vacation is Undercover Tourist. I bought 10 Day Park Hoppers with the Waterpark Fun & More option and 3-Day Park-to-Park Tickets for Universal for Anika and myself. It was super easy and I got the tickets just one day after their expected delivery date. The Disney tickets were also easy to add to MDE – you just click the “Link Tickets” button in your MDE account, punch in the ticket numbers, and assign the ticket to someone in your party. Super easy! :cloud9:

I bought Wade's ticket directly from Disney as there was a special "Discover Disney" ticket available for Florida residents. I couldn't order the ticket online as my credit card does not have a Florida address, but it was no problem to get it via phone, enter the number into MDE, and then link Wade to the ticket. The agent stayed on the phone with me to ensure the process worked. I bought this ticket rather than a regular 3-Day Park Hopper as it was less than half the cost of a regular ticket. All Wade needs to do is show proof of Florida residency before we enter our first park! I purchased the ticket early as it's a limited time ticket and I wanted to be able to book his Fastpass+ reservations before arriving. It worked! :goodvibes

Now, the important question… would I use these third party services again?

Orbitz
The initial booking was very easy and the savings were spectacular! Calling to add my room requests through Orbitz was annoying (but it worked – as my request appeared on my Pop Century reservation when I did online check-in!). The big negative was attempting to do unique things with an Orbitz reservation. If you have people joining you for only part of your vacation and they will result in an extra charge, I would book with Disney as I think they’re easily able to separate and categorize these types of reservations. If your reservation is pretty straightforward, I don’t think there’s any downside to booking through Orbitz. I’ll be sure to report back if I have any issues during my trip!

Undercover Tourist
I have nothing but good things to say! It was easy, painless, and saved me a lot of money. In case you don’t already subscribe to Mousesavers, go out and subscribe to get their monthly newsletter to get a special Undercover Tourist link for even more savings! I would absolutely use them again!

Up Next for 2015: The Most Important Thing - The Food!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experiences using Orbit and Undercover Tourist. I have heard great things about UT for purchasing tickets. I usually use AAA because i get extra points on my credit card and I can pay with their rebates, but its good to know that's such an easy option.

Yay for getting your discount through Orbitz. Your experience is actually one of the reasons I joined DVC. I found it so stressful to research all the possible options for discounts. I, like you, will never pay rack rate. But I found myself getting really stressed about it. And when you use a new vendor there's always that nagging fear that something won't go right. I'm so glad its working out, even if you did have to spend all that extra time to add your uncle.

Sounds like you are right on target for your trip. Awesome!

You are potentially the most amazing sister on the planet. I sooo wish I had the financial resources to spoil my sister as you are doing!!! Fantastic job!!!

You know Jenny, as long as I've known you here on the DIS I don't think I've ever mentioned how much I think of you just like a sister... :bitelip My Birthday is in December... Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:

Seriously, you are a lock for sister of the year, possibly the decade and/or century as well. WOW.

The only people I've known that have paid rack rate are those booking the free dining. Other than that, it's all about the discounts. Interestingly enough, by January trip was booked third party for pretty much the same reason. It was the only way I could get discount at WL as Disney had none remaining. That said, it is potentially A LOT of extra hassle if you have to modify anything. If you don't, you don't even really notice. I did have to update the address when I did online check in since it was showing the third party's address, but other than that, straight forward.

Undercover Tourist though I cannot recommend enough as well. Even here in Canada the shipping is free and I usually receive the order within a week. If I wasn't using AP for the last few years, UT would be the go to for sure.

So, do you need another sister? I am willing to give up my current life to be adopted by you! LOL!

Seriously, you are an awesome sister. You will have so much fun revealing all these surprises to Anika.

Can't wait to hear more!

Lynn

Thanks for sharing your experiences using Orbit and Undercover Tourist. I have heard great things about UT for purchasing tickets. I usually use AAA because i get extra points on my credit card and I can pay with their rebates, but its good to know that's such an easy option.

Yay for getting your discount through Orbitz. Your experience is actually one of the reasons I joined DVC. I found it so stressful to research all the possible options for discounts. I, like you, will never pay rack rate. But I found myself getting really stressed about it. And when you use a new vendor there's always that nagging fear that something won't go right. I'm so glad its working out, even if you did have to spend all that extra time to add your uncle.

Sounds like you are right on target for your trip. Awesome!

No problem! The random posts on the theme park/resort boards really reassured me when I chose both third party options. I understand about using AAA to get points, but UT is a great back up choice! I would happily use them again!

Oh, Orbitz! :P It was actually really easy to book and the cost savings were spectacular, but good grief on all those calls! Thank goodness for that poor CM from POR Riverside that had to deal with me! :rolleyes:

I can't believe I already have my Fastpass+ experiences booked! SO CLOSE!!! :woohoo:

You are potentially the most amazing sister on the planet. I sooo wish I had the financial resources to spoil my sister as you are doing!!! Fantastic job!!!

That's so nice of you to say! :blush:

To be fair, I get something out of the trip, too (as I will also be at all those resorts and parks right along with her! :laughing:), but the Grand Floridian is all for her. :cloud9:

You know Jenny, as long as I've known you here on the DIS I don't think I've ever mentioned how much I think of you just like a sister... :bitelip My Birthday is in December... Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:

Seriously, you are a lock for sister of the year, possibly the decade and/or century as well. WOW.

The only people I've known that have paid rack rate are those booking the free dining. Other than that, it's all about the discounts. Interestingly enough, by January trip was booked third party for pretty much the same reason. It was the only way I could get discount at WL as Disney had none remaining. That said, it is potentially A LOT of extra hassle if you have to modify anything. If you don't, you don't even really notice. I did have to update the address when I did online check in since it was showing the third party's address, but other than that, straight forward.

Undercover Tourist though I cannot recommend enough as well. Even here in Canada the shipping is free and I usually receive the order within a week. If I wasn't using AP for the last few years, UT would be the go to for sure.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You're hysterical! Um, I'm glad I'm enticing people to be a part of my family? :laughing: Thank you for the phenomenal compliment. :goodvibes

I never realized before this trip that Disney released rooms to third party sellers. Other than the adding my uncle conundrum, the rest of the process was pretty easy. (And all of my room requests went through! They were there when I did online check in for GF and POR! Hooray!!!)

Yes, I had to update my address for both online check in and for shipping my magic band. I'm glad I knew about it in advance (thank you DISboards!) as I wouldn't want the bands to ship to Orbitz in Chicago!

UT was excellent! I've never heard anything but good things, but I was really impressed! :thumbsup2

So, do you need another sister? I am willing to give up my current life to be adopted by you! LOL!

Seriously, you are an awesome sister. You will have so much fun revealing all these surprises to Anika.

Can't wait to hear more!

Lynn

Wow, a second request to become my new sibling! :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 I promise I'm not usually hemorrhaging money for her behalf :laughing:, but I love the girl and would do anything for her. I'm so thankful that I have such a great relationship with my only sibling. :D

Thank you so much. :goodvibes I'm SO excited to see her reactions to all the things I've planned!

Found a previous report and it led me here....thankfully! I'm so excited to be joining in!!!

:welcome: Amber! Thanks for joining in and I'm excited to have you here!

Holy cow, you're from Iowa? :eek: ME, TOO!!! I don't think I've seen (or noticed) too many people from here - how fun! :flower:

Too funny except I still answer no I'm from California I just live in Iowa now. I haven't adjusted yet lol...give me time:)

Since I finished your TR from 2012 I figured I would go ahead and hop on to the PTR wagon for May! How exciting this trip sounds!! You sound like me with the planning process lol, I usually work out a plan and change it up like a bazillion times! All of your resorts sound wonderful too!! We did the arrival night thing at POP and found it a great choice for a one night stay, and Riverside :cloud9: that many days to relax in that wonderful southern charm resort sounds so perfect right now!! And the Grand?! for 2 nights?! Are you kidding me, Anika is going to flip out I assume! You are such a great big sister!! And after reading your last report I would have to think you were mad crazy to not somehow manage a trip to the dark side to see Diagon Alley, especially given how much you like Harry Potter. That is so cool that you are staying at RPR and that is exactly what we have planned for our August trip this year. A Disney split stay with a UN/IOA smack in the middle with a couple of nights at RPR!! I have been trying to get as much info learned about the dark side since all I really know is Disney and have been spending quite a bit of time here on the Universal boards. So much to learn, so little time lol. Anyways so excited for you guys and cannot wait to hear all about your dining plans!! :thumbsup2

Too funny except I still answer no I'm from California I just live in Iowa now. I haven't adjusted yet lol...give me time:)

Yes, California and Iowa are not exactly the same! :laughing: At least this spring as included a lot of nice weather!

:welcome: Glenn! I'm thrilled that you're here!

(Another Via Napoli review is coming up shortly! ;))

Since I finished your TR from 2012 I figured I would go ahead and hop on to the PTR wagon for May! How exciting this trip sounds!! You sound like me with the planning process lol, I usually work out a plan and change it up like a bazillion times! All of your resorts sound wonderful too!! We did the arrival night thing at POP and found it a great choice for a one night stay, and Riverside :cloud9: that many days to relax in that wonderful southern charm resort sounds so perfect right now!! And the Grand?! for 2 nights?! Are you kidding me, Anika is going to flip out I assume! You are such a great big sister!! And after reading your last report I would have to think you were mad crazy to not somehow manage a trip to the dark side to see Diagon Alley, especially given how much you like Harry Potter. That is so cool that you are staying at RPR and that is exactly what we have planned for our August trip this year. A Disney split stay with a UN/IOA smack in the middle with a couple of nights at RPR!! I have been trying to get as much info learned about the dark side since all I really know is Disney and have been spending quite a bit of time here on the Universal boards. So much to learn, so little time lol. Anyways so excited for you guys and cannot wait to hear all about your dining plans!! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Jenn! Thanks so much for joining in!

This trip involved more changes than any trip I've done before! Most of the changes were in the pre-planning stages so I've changed very little once things were actually booked. I've shifted a few ADR times, but I've only changed one ADR restaurant!

I love the resort lineup that I created! I'm excited to see Pop for the first time and it will be nice to see POR again! I'm SO, SO EXCITED so see Anika's reaction to the Grand Floridian! :hyper: (And honestly, I'm pretty exited to stay at a monorail resort, myself!)

I can't wait for our second visit to the dark side! I'm thrilled that you're doing the same thing - great minds must think alike! ;) I learned a lot about touring Universal by reading natebenma's trip reports and I'd highly recommend them! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
First Disney Day Traditions
2013 Trip Report – Part III

Our bags were packed and we were ready to go!

017_zpsya2byg13.jpg

Our flight was semi-early on a Saturday morning (more Disney time!), so we again elected to stay at a hotel near the airport. Thankfully, as we traveled in May we didn’t have to deal with a snowstorm this time!

We only had to worry about gray skies and a bit of rain:

025_zps5hevj7eo.jpg

After the travel debacles and delays from the previous year, I'll take it! I'm also happy to report I didn't have another woman chastise me for daring to talk about Disney on the plane. (Please see my 2012 trip report for a lesson on "how not to act on a flight to Orlando"! :laughing:)

After a detour through Minneapolis, we made it to Florida! First up is everyone’s favorite first “monorail” of the trip. We always make sure to hustle up to the far end of the faux monorail area to get the front of the car. As you can see, Anika was excited to be here!

037_zpsztb4iveq.jpg

Hey, New Fantasyland! We’re coming for you!

041_zpswrwhkbnm.jpg

We made it to the Magical Express area and only had to wait about ten minutes for our bus. We lucked out this time and got an actual Magical Express bus!

052_zpst9sj0nde.jpg

Another tradition that most Disney guests take part in is picture of everyone’s favorite welcome sign:

058_zpso2m49qkh.jpg

We were here! :yay:

Our first stop was Coronado Springs so we didn’t have to wait long for our vacation to begin! I did have a bit of a panic moment once we arrived. I’d texted our mom to let her know we were on the Magical Express and headed to Disney World, and I made the mistake of placing my phone in a different section of my bag. :sad2: Sure enough – as we were pulling into the resort I checked my bag to make sure I had everything … no phone! :scared: I couldn’t spend my week without my phone (and didn’t want to accidently leave it on the bus!). After pulling everything out of my bag and checking everywhere I finally found it. We were the last two people to leave the bus. I’m sure the other passengers were thrilled that we delayed their vacation by a few minutes. :rolleyes:

Check-in was a breeze and Anika obtained her very important “Happy Birthday” button. After a stop in the room to drop off our carry-on bags, we were on our way to our first park!

097_zpsghmgpteo.jpg

(You can see she already put on her birthday button - she wore it all week!)

I know many people like to do other things on their arrival day, but we now have a traditional first park:

098_zpsxgqqzbnu.jpg

I adore Epcot! I love the attractions, I love the ambiance… and oh, I may also love the food. :goodvibes

As these were the days before Fastpass+ and therefore the standby line was pretty reasonable, this was our first attraction of the trip:

101_zpsxawpjjq9.jpg

I love Spaceship Earth! This was such a great way to kick off our Disney vacation! It’s classic Disney as it involves music, animatronics, and other fun things. I also loved that it was more than ten minutes in air conditioning!

The Photopass photographers were busy at the entrance, so instead we grabbed a picture from behind the ball:

Photo0016_zpsijlkdbnv.jpg

We decided to head back into World Showcase. Although we had an ADR about an hour later, we were pretty hungry and decided a small snack was in order. Anika and I are both big fans of dessert, so where we headed was no surprise:

159_zps6wv2vfsl.jpg

We didn’t wait in a very long line, which was surprising as it was nearly six o’clock. Our choices were these beauties:

154_zpsqn03vxyu.jpg
155_zpsylo2grlj.jpg

With our stomachs much happier, we decided to mix it up a bit and try a new attraction:

163_zpsm6ymxt0t.jpg

It was wonderful to sit in the air conditioning again! (It is a very different experience being at Disney World in May versus being there in February! I can’t imagine what it’s like there in July! :crazy2:). We liked the movie and the music was wonderful, but it is my least favorite of the three Epcot movies. (I guess Norway used to have a movie too, but as I never stayed to watch it I have no opinion on it! :laughing:)

(continued in next post)

(continued from previous post)

We had another half hour to kill before we could check in for dinner so we wandered over to Morocco:

169_zpsxnmktqkr.jpg

I love many of the shops throughout World Showcase, but Morocco has some very cool things. Anika ended up buying a beautiful purple bag from a shop here that became her park bag for the remainder of her trip. I didn’t grab a picture that night but you’ll see it throughout the rest of the trip!

I had to grab a picture of the Illuminations globe on our way to Italy:

178_zpspdbhp20o.jpg

As this post is all about our first day traditions, anyone that read my 2012 trip report might have a good guess on our dinner destination.

It was:

181_zpszqs7827g.jpg

Via Napoli! This was one of our favorite restaurants from our last trip and was a great first ADR! It wouldn't have seemed right to kickoff our vacation at any other place! We checked in and were seated just a few minutes. Rather than the main dining room, they seated us in this very neat side section:

193_zpsrvntvprl.jpg

I didn’t even realize this section existed the last time we ate here! I know it’s challenging to request an area to sit at a Disney restaurant, but I would love to eat in here again!

I couldn’t help but take a picture of the glasses here – I loved them!

188_zps5zyxffbl.jpg

The iced tea is pretty good, too!

We skipped appetizers this year as we didn’t want the same over-stuffed feeling we had the last time.

You can’t eat at Via Napoli and not order a wood fired pizza! We ordered an individual signature Pepperoni Pizza:

190_zpsmfxihxzo.jpg

And also ordered Spaghetti e Polpettine, which is spaghetti with veal meatballs in tomato sauce:

191_zpsj9pnd4w9.jpg

Of course everyone raves about the pizza (and those raves are justified as it’s SO GOOD) but we were surprised how tasty the pasta was! I know its neighbor Tutto Italia is the pasta restaurant, but we would absolutely order pasta from here again! We both ate half of the two dishes and managed to eat every last bite.

We were pretty full, but the waitress didn’t have to twist our arms too hard to order dessert! :rotfl:

We got something new this time due to our server’s recommendation. She suggested the Zeppole di Caterina, which is ricotta cheese fritters with whipped cream and chocolate sauce:

192_zpsmdbb8pov.jpg

Oh my goodness, these were delicious! We were pretty full by this point but finished the whole darn basket! Highly, highly recommended! :thumbsup2

Via Napoli remains one of our favorite restaurants in Disney World. We’ve always had a great server and delicious food. It is now our traditional first meal at a Disney park and I don’t think we’d ever have it another way! I can’t recommend this place enough!

We had an entire hour before Illuminations started, so we wandered through a few more shops:

200_zpsalk9lztk.jpg

I wanted to catch Illuminations from the front of the park so we’d have a head start on the crowds streaming out of the park. I had to catch a picture along the way:

213_zpsitfc1lo3.jpg

I grabbed this one while waiting for the start of the show:

215_zpsvm0ruu6s.jpg

Would you believe it – the spot I staked out for Illuminations is now the Fastpass+ viewing area! I guess I really know how to pick out a good spot! :D

We didn’t wait long for Illuminations to begin. I love this picture that shows the globe and the fireworks:

229_zpsgd8esnkd.jpg

My fireworks pictures never turn out spectacularly well, but I thought these weren’t bad:

248_zpscjod88mg.jpg
251_zpsh9fuylea.jpg

When they struck the last cords of music, we turned around and hightailed it out of there! We managed to get ahead of a lot of people as not only were we near the front of the park, but we’re also pretty fast walkers!

Our first Disney day was a great success! We had an early morning, but very easy flights. We managed to start our vacation the way we like it – seats on the front of the airport monorail, a great picture of the welcome sign, an evening in Epcot, and dinner at our favorite Disney restaurant. Add in a spin on Spaceship Earth, shopping throughout World Showcase, and the nighttime spectacular Illuminations, and you have a pretty great first Disney day!

Up Next for 2013: Yes, you can schedule four ADRs in one day!

I love Epcot so much so I can't fault you for having that be your traditional first park! :thumbsup2

Your picture with your sister is just awesome!!! :goodvibes

You're making me excited for my Via Napoli ADR. So great to read such a favorable review. Except mine is our last ADR, not first! I'm sure it'll make a good last Disney meal.

OH MY GOSH!!!!
This trip you are planning is going to be absolutely amazing!

Will you be my sister?? Pretty please, with a cherry on top??

17 Days! 4 Resorts! Universal to see Harry Potter!!!! A Deluxe resort! This is my dream trip!!

(By the way, I also got into Harry Potter after the 4th book came out. It was so great reading the first four in a row but then waiting for the next ones was so hard! I'm almost as obsessed with Harry Potter as I am with Disney. Almost.)

I'm so excited to see how all your surprises pan out. Your sister is one lucky girl. You two are going to have an incredible trip :thumbsup2

I love Epcot so much so I can't fault you for having that be your traditional first park! :thumbsup2

Your picture with your sister is just awesome!!! :goodvibes

When we started our sister trips, Epcot was first since it was the favorite park of both of at the time. Now, we both like MK perhaps a bit more, but Epcot (and Via Napoli for dinner) has become tradition. MK is usually park number two! ;)

Thanks! I love a Photopass photographer with fun ideas! :goodvibes

You're making me excited for my Via Napoli ADR. So great to read such a favorable review. Except mine is our last ADR, not first! I'm sure it'll make a good last Disney meal.

I'm glad - I think you'll love it! I think having it as your final ADR is just as great as having it be your first! :thumbsup2

OH MY GOSH!!!!
This trip you are planning is going to be absolutely amazing!

Will you be my sister?? Pretty please, with a cherry on top??

17 Days! 4 Resorts! Universal to see Harry Potter!!!! A Deluxe resort! This is my dream trip!!

(By the way, I also got into Harry Potter after the 4th book came out. It was so great reading the first four in a row but then waiting for the next ones was so hard! I'm almost as obsessed with Harry Potter as I am with Disney. Almost.)

I'm so excited to see how all your surprises pan out. Your sister is one lucky girl. You two are going to have an incredible trip :thumbsup2

:welcome: Heather! Thanks for joining in!

Thank you! All these requests to become my sibling must mean that I'm making really good decisions about our trip! :rotfl: I'm super excited to go on the trip and to see Anika's reaction to all of our plans. My top choice of deluxe resort would probably be the Boardwalk or the Beach Club (or the Wilderness Lodge... so many choices!), but I think I'll be able to live with the Grand Floridian. ;) It will be pretty neat to say that I've stayed there!

I'm REALLY excited about Harry Potter! I'm a HUGE fan and have no shame in saying I may like Harry just a smidge more than Disney. :laughing: The entire story is so well done that I doubt another series will ever capture me in the same way. I feel your pain on waiting for the next book - I couldn't wait for each subsequent book to be released, and I remember being especially on edge for the seventh book! The rest of Universal should be fun too, but I know the sections I'm most looking forward to definitely involve my pal, Harry. :lovestruc

Stay tuned, as more of our plans will be up soon! :-)

Oh, the Places You’ll Eat!
The ADR Line-Up

I adore dining in Disney. :lovestruc

This adoration may lead me to booking a few reservations... :rolleyes1

Our first sister-trip to the World in 2012 showed us how fun it was to eat in the Disney restaurants. Prior trips had included a few table service meals, but most of our dining was at the quick service establishments. Many of those are great, too, but we just loved eating in the variety of restaurants at the parks and the resorts.

As this was Anika’s trip, I wanted to make sure that I included her “must eat” restaurants. I told her to give me her “top five” restaurants, which expanded to six when she just couldn’t make up her mind. I told her Be Our Guest and the Garden View Tea were already on the must-dine list so she didn’t need to include them. Her choices were:

1) Via Napoli
2) Yak and Yeti
3) Beaches and Cream
4) Grand Floridian Café (breakfast)
5) Le Cellier
6) Sci-Fi Dine-In

With those in mind, I crafted the rest of our Disney dining days. I love the pre-park opening breakfasts, wanted a few signature dinners, and wanted a good blend of old favorites and new restaurants (while keeping in mind Anika’s top six restaurants).

The restaurants in bold are new to us.

We have three pre-park opening breakfasts scheduled for...

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace is one of my favorite pre-park opening breakfasts, so that was a no-brainer.

1137_zpszqulzpf6.jpg

Tusker House

Tusker House has some great variety (and includes Goofy!) so that was a must-do.

1551_zpsqhbs1mxe.jpg

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

We skipped the Akershus breakfast in 2013, but I really want to have another bagel with lingonberry cream cheese!

639_zpscf5e02e4.jpg

We also have resort breakfasts planned at…

Kona Café

Kona Café was as excellent as advertised when we visited in 2013. This was an easy choice.

265_zpslq92ctga.jpg

Whispering Canyon Café

Whispering Canyon Café will be new for us! Several things on the menu look enticing, such as the eggs benedict and the banana bread french toast. Anika may aim for the chocolate chip pancakes.

WCC_zpsd19fmc16.jpg

As mentioned in the Grand Floridian post, we’ll be going to Anika’s must-do the Grand Floridian Café while we’re at the Grand Floridian.

We also have a few mornings without breakfast plans that will included either a quick-service breakfast or perhaps a last minute ADR at other good options (Olivia’s, Boma, and Trail’s End are all possibilities).

The lunch line-up includes the following…

Liberty Tree Tavern

This is an absolute must-do. A Disney vacation without our Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is NOT an option!

366.jpg

Beaches and Cream

This is one of Anika’s must-dos, but it may have landed on the list anyway as I’ve always wanted to try this place! I’m looking forward to the burgers AND the ice cream!

BampC_zpsqnnlwfz1.jpg

Yak and Yeti

Another Anika choice, but this would have definitely ended up on the final list. This is our favorite meal in Animal Kingdom.

1974_zpsd2762520.jpg

50’s Prime Time Café

I’m looking forward to introducing our uncle to this spot in Hollywood Studios. I adore their pot roast and Anika loves the chicken. I also can’t wait to have another shake!

918_zps5j54ltpv.jpg

Sci-Fi Dine-In

This one always got on the chopping block of initial plans due to our love of the 50’s. I’m excited Anika included it on her list as it forced me to book it this time! I’m looking forward to seeing the atmosphere! (Would you believe it, this restaurant was one of the few where I didn’t get within 30 minutes of my preferred time 180 days out? This is a popular place!)

SciFi_zpsochg2meu.jpg

Sanaa

This was one of my must-dos! I love any excuse to get in the vicinity of Animal Kingdom Lodge, but so many people RAVE about this restaurant that I can’t wait to try it!

Sanaa_zpstogxtgia.jpg

Tokyo Dining

Anika and I both love sushi so this seemed like a great choice for a new restaurant. We’ve been to the other Japan restaurant on previous trips.

Tokyo_zpsmamphaij.jpg

The Plaza

This is one that may end up on the chopping block as this day’s plans are the most fluid. It does look tasty and often gets good reviews, though, so we’ll see what happens.

Plaza_zpsbxssqemn.jpg

We will also be visiting the Garden View Tea Room on our Grand Floridian day for a “lunch” of sorts. It wouldn’t seem right to stay at the Grand Floridian and not have tea!

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
(continued from previous post)

Last up are our dinner choices…

Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review

I am SO EXCITED about this ADR! We’ve never been to a Disney dinner show, and I felt the Disney classic Hoop Dee Doo was the best choice. Anika does know about this ADR (as I figured I may have to sell it to her in order for her not to wonder if I’d lost my mind). She is looking forward to the food, but I bet we’ll both get a kick out of the show, as well!

Hoop_zpsoy95l4uw.jpg

Via Napoli

Let alone the fact that it was on Anika’s list, I could never visit Disney World without a visit to Via Napoli. It is THAT GOOD.

228.jpg

Hollywood Brown Derby

I booked the Fantasmic package for HBD. We enjoyed our food here in 2012 (even though our service was a little questionable) so I though this deserved another shot. I determined our cost would be about the same with or without the added bonus of the Fanstasmic passes - therefore, Fanstasmic package it is!

982_zpsf071f027.jpg

Le Cellier

I wasn’t disappointed when this made it onto Anika’s must-do list. We loved our experience in 2013, but we only enjoyed appetizers. This year we’re both looking forward to trying a steak!

494_zps4ttxcqdh.jpg

Raglan Road

I had this on the itinerary for our 2012 trip, but we skipped it due to hunger and went somewhere else. I’m very excited about seeing the restaurant and finally trying the Scallop Forest and Ger’s Bread and Butter Pudding!

Raglan_zpsrx9aki4j.jpg

Artist Point

Just in case we switch out our Whispering Canyon Café breakfast, I wanted to guarantee a visit to the Wilderness Lodge (a resort we haven’t seen). An early dinner will allow us to explore the resort and will allow me to finally try the Smoky Portobello Soup!

AP_zpsmscj4xey.jpg

La Hacienda de San Angel

This was a surprise favorite in 2013. We missed seeing Illuminations last time (as we rescheduled it for an earlier time), but we both thought the food was great. I booked a 7:30 slot so we have a good shot at Illuminations this time!

1505_zpshxmxljnh.jpg

Be Our Guest

We LOVED our meal here last time so there was no way it was being missed this year! I am also looking to fully enjoy my dining experience this time (a bit of foreshadowing for a future 2013 trip report update). I was pleasantly surprised that I had no problem booking this – we’re scheduled to eat here on a prime Saturday night, and this was only the second day into our Riverside booking period. Even better, our dinner is only 20 minutes later than the time I wanted (and several decent times were available when I booked)!

1865_zpsn8kbr123.jpg

Boma

I wanted to guarantee another visit to my Animal Kingdom Lodge and there are two great choices – Boma and Jiko. I actually asked Anika about her preference, and she thought it may be fun to try something new. Boma it is! We’ve been for breakfast, but I’m really looking forward to trying it for dinner!

3395_zpstvvifdae.jpg

1900 Park Fare

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the food and the “entertainment” (ahem, stepsisters, anyone?) so I’m excited to give this one a try. This is the only ADR I've changed (it was originally Shula's, but I didn't think we'd want steak two days in a row). Anika may be burned out on characters by this point so we may swap it for another Magic Kingdom area choice (Citricos or Kona Café are likely options), but we’ll see how it shakes out.

1900PF_zpsxhn3wtva.jpg

California Grill

This is where we’re celebrating Anika’s birthday dinner. We LOVED our meal here in 2012 and missed out dining here in 2013 due to their expansive refurbishment. I’m so, so excited to see the changes in person and have another dinner “on top of the World.”

2275_zps3fe17e2d.jpg

We will also be dining at Narcoosee’s on our Grand Floridian day.

Whew! That’s 27 ADRs within 17 days! :faint:

Anika knows about some of these choices (her six must-dos, Hoop Dee Doo, Boma, Be Our Guest, Garden View Tea, and the pre-park opening breakfasts), but the others will be a surprise. Other than Hoop, she has no idea what order we'll be visiting them.

Booking everything was overall an easy process – I had two days where the website cooperated with me (our Pop Century and Riverside stays) and only one day that I had to wait to call (our Grand Floridian stay). The only bugger is I had to wake up three times to make reservations, as the fine folks at Disney decided to close the loophole that allowed you to make ADRs for 10 days. :mad: Instead, they allow you up to 10 days but limit you to the number of days of your actual reservation. I’m sure we can thank those that booked a “throwaway” room in order to make all their dining reservations, :rolleyes: but it sure does make it annoying for those of us that do split stays.

Funnily enough, two of my booking windows opened when I was home for Thanksgiving. My mom was up when I booked the Grand Floridian portion, and both of my parents were up when I booked the Riverside portion. When my dad saw me awake at 5 a.m. he asked, “Disney?”

:lmao:

We’ll just say that I’m not usually known as a morning person. :crazy2: :laughing:

But, for Disney? I will do anything necessary. :goodvibes

Up Next for 2015: Magic Kingdom Must-Dos

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter