A Celebration of Harry Potter in 2017 (Jan 27-29)

Ok, total noob here... what is this dark magic of which you speak?? When does it usually happen? what's involved! I must know!!!

Ok, total noob here... what is this dark magic of which you speak?? When does it usually happen? what's involved! I must know!!!

There is an annual potter festival at the end of January
Guest speakers and different presentations all about potter

Special packages will be sold for onsite stays and the programs

Look at the past two years potter gala and you will have a quick read of what is involved in it

Use the search button for potter gala 2014 or 2015 or this past years event info

Thanks for posting this.......one set of our friends have been driving me crazy asking when these dates are out.......their kids are Potter mad!

Will pass the info on.......

We will need to choose one of these 3 days to do either IOA or US, but we wouldn't be interested in the celebration activities or crowds. Since we can go again later that week, it will be ok if we have to avoid the Harry Potter area that day. Does anyone have any suggestions about which of those 3 days 1/27, 1/28 or 1/29 would be the best choice to enjoy the non-WWoHP parts of the parks?

I'd love to go, especially as we're flying on on the 28th, but my partner just wouldn't put up with the mad crowds just for the chance to meet a celeb... :(

We will need to choose one of these 3 days to do either IOA or US, but we wouldn't be interested in the celebration activities or crowds. Since we can go again later that week, it will be ok if we have to avoid the Harry Potter area that day. Does anyone have any suggestions about which of those 3 days 1/27, 1/28 or 1/29 would be the best choice to enjoy the non-WWoHP parts of the parks?
Most of the major activities were held at Universal on all 3 days last January. Not much going on at IoA except for early morning Q&A at the big theater near Toon Lagoon. Crowds should be pretty easy to deal with except for the HP lands being extra crowded. It wasn't a madhouse by any means.

I'd love to go, especially as we're flying on on the 28th, but my partner just wouldn't put up with the mad crowds just for the chance to meet a celeb... :(
Not much chance of getting too close to them anyway. They kept them up on the stage. You had to pay big bucks for a meet and greet. You can see them and listen to them tell stories though, and that is pretty cool. Learned the hard way that you didn't have to pay for the package to be able to see the stars and enjoy all of the goings on. :rolleyes:

Not much chance of getting too close to them anyway. They kept them up on the stage. You had to pay big bucks for a meet and greet. You can see them and listen to them tell stories though, and that is pretty cool. Learned the hard way that you didn't have to pay for the package to be able to see the stars and enjoy all of the goings on. :rolleyes:
Ok, tell me more about this not needing the package... We just got Seasonal APs in October and DS8 and I were considering taking a weekend trip for the Celebration weekend. (He really wants to do the sorting hat part. He might be ok with some of the Q&A things, but unless things are really interactive i'm sure he'd rather ride rides.) Anyway the AP packages are sold out and I'd hate to pay for tickets. What could we do that is unique to the Celebration without buying the package?

Ok, tell me more about this not needing the package... We just got Seasonal APs in October and DS8 and I were considering taking a weekend trip for the Celebration weekend. (He really wants to do the sorting hat part. He might be ok with some of the Q&A things, but unless things are really interactive i'm sure he'd rather ride rides.) Anyway the AP packages are sold out and I'd hate to pay for tickets. What could we do that is unique to the Celebration without buying the package?

Most things are accessible without the package; getting the package reduces your lines or gets you closer. I think there's an evening in the park that you get with the package, but I'm not sure there are any actors there.

FWIW I was there one year at the same time and there were no big crowds. The crowds were held off in the places with the events, which weren't in the parks.

We DID happen to meet Evanna Lynch, but it was totally random and not to be expected to happen again. (she was walking behind Three Broomsticks, we saw her sweetly meeting other people as she walked through, and asked her if we could have a picture with her, and she kindly said yes."

You can get sorted without the package I believe, but you have to wait in the long line. With the package you go to the short line. You can go into the expo and see props and such. If you're at Universal on Friday night, the cast will come out on the stage and they will kick off the weekend with a fireworks show. There was nothing there that you needed the actual package for except the private party where you got free food and both of the HP lands stayed open til midnight just for package holders, and the "private Q & A session which was exactly like the other sessions only it was held in the stadium. He can go to the little classes where they teach the kids how to do spells with their wands. Things like that. It all happened right out in the open at the stage by Rip Ride Rock it.

You can get sorted without the package I believe, but you have to wait in the long line. With the package you go to the short line. You can go into the expo and see props and such. If you're at Universal on Friday night, the cast will come out on the stage and they will kick off the weekend with a fireworks show. There was nothing there that you needed the actual package for except the private party where you got free food and both of the HP lands stayed open til midnight just for package holders, and the "private Q & A session which was exactly like the other sessions only it was held in the stadium. He can go to the little classes where they teach the kids how to do spells with their wands. Things like that. It all happened right out in the open at the stage by Rip Ride Rock it.
Thanks!

The Seasonal Pass isn't blocked out this weekend, but I know concerts will block us from USF during Mardi Gras. Does anyone know if something like that happens with this event?

Turns out we could catch the last day (or pro bowl lol). Was curious as to 'what' we (2 adults) could actually see without the pkg. Would you say it's 'worth it' for 2 HP fans?

Also, can you (or others:)) explain exactly where/what this is? I'm thinking a walk-thru of some sort.

Are you a Gryffindor™, Slytherin™, Hufflepuff™, or Ravenclaw™? At the beginning of each school year, the Sorting Hat™ places new Hogwarts™ students into a house, and now you can get sorted at a Great Hall setting. Step inside the Expo to celebrate the global impact of Harry Potter™: The Exhibition

Did see they announced appearances: Warick Davis & Matthew Lewis

We had already made our reservations for Universal 1/24-1/27. I see there is an exclusive celebration on "the evening of the 27th", that includes BOTH sides of the harry potter areas. What does this mean for us? It says this is ONLY for package guests. Will this be AFTER the park closes to the public? We were hoping to spend some time in the harry potter areas that day. Thanks!

We had already made our reservations for Universal 1/24-1/27. I see there is an exclusive celebration on "the evening of the 27th", that includes BOTH sides of the harry potter areas. What does this mean for us? It says this is ONLY for package guests. Will this be AFTER the park closes to the public? We were hoping to spend some time in the harry potter areas that day. Thanks!
You have to buy the "Celebration of Harry Potter" package to attend this. Kind of like MVMCP...the parks close and only the people with proof of package are let into the area. Last year it was all of the free Butterbeer and Pumpkin juice you could drink, along with free snack kiosks with chips and dips and desserts etc. It was nice. That is the only event that you can not attend without a package though, so not really worth the price. We figured that out last year too. This year we are paying ala cart and just spending those 2 days at the parks. The expo was NOT worth visiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter