a black president!!

This thread started out nice and positive, but now I see the Negative Nellies are awake and raring to go. :sad1:

Sour grapes. Get over it. Move on. Come together. Peace. :flower3:

we won't ever be a "color blind" society until people quit "defining" themselves as one color or another. Obama treated half of his family with utter disrespect and disdain in order to "define" himself as black, even though the black part of his family was virtually non-existant during his entire life. He only became associated with them when it was politically advantageous to do so. His beloved grandmother who just recently passed away, was casually thrown under the bus earlier in his campaign so he could more closely associate with "the black voter" as he called them.

Why do we have to have "black" or "white" voters? Why don't we just have Americans? I would LOVE to see how an election would turn out where we don't know anything about the physical traits of a candidate. All we know is their education, resume, beliefs, and plans for the country. Once we have voted based on THESE items, I would be very interested to see how things might turn out. :) I bet you'd be surprised what happens when you CANT let race factor into a decision. It never should.

When you can't tell that one "race" voted for someone specifically because of the color of their skin (over 95% of black people who voted, voted for Obama) then it is still a factor, whether or not people want to admit it.

Sure, I'm glad that the barrier has been crossed, but at what expense? Just because he is part black doesn't mean he is the perfect candidate for the job (or any job). History was made, yes, but whether or not it was worth it to vote for Obama just to be "part of history" remains to be seen.

I could care less what color anyone's skin is. If they are the right person for the job, they get my vote.

Plus...had Obama lost, the black crowd would probably claim that he isn't black enough....or they'll use that when he fails to deliver on all the promises he made.

As "Mr. President-Elect"? ;) :lmao:

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

At his press conference yesterday he called himself a mutt :rotfl2:

Now that was funny.:rotfl:

When you can't tell that one "race" voted for someone specifically because of the color of their skin (over 95% of black people who voted, voted for Obama) then it is still a factor, whether or not people want to admit it.

Did you really expect blacks to vote for McCain (or any Republican for that matter) in large numbers? We have been voting for the dems for more than 70 years. Why the heck would we jump ship now?

:thumbsup2 - Race has played a factor unfortunately in this election shown by the percentage. Voting should be based on qualifications and proposed policies and stance on issues. For me, Obama was not my choice for these reasons, however put Condi Rice on a ballot and she will get my vote any day. Very intelligent and experienced.

we won't ever be a "color blind" society until people quit "defining" themselves as one color or another. Obama treated half of his family with utter disrespect and disdain in order to "define" himself as black, even though the black part of his family was virtually non-existant during his entire life. He only became associated with them when it was politically advantageous to do so. His beloved grandmother who just recently passed away, was casually thrown under the bus earlier in his campaign so he could more closely associate with "the black voter" as he called them.

Why do we have to have "black" or "white" voters? Why don't we just have Americans? I would LOVE to see how an election would turn out where we don't know anything about the physical traits of a candidate. All we know is their education, resume, beliefs, and plans for the country. Once we have voted based on THESE items, I would be very interested to see how things might turn out. :) I bet you'd be surprised what happens when you CANT let race factor into a decision. It never should.

Sure, I'm glad that the barrier has been crossed, but at what expense? Just because he is part black doesn't mean he is the perfect candidate for the job (or any job). History was made, yes, but whether or not it was worth it to vote for Obama just to be "part of history" remains to be seen.

I could care less what color anyone's skin is. If they are the right person for the job, they get my vote.

Plus...had Obama lost, the black crowd would probably claim that he isn't black enough....or they'll use that when he fails to deliver on all the promises he made.

Did you really expect blacks to vote for McCain (or any Republican for that matter) in large numbers? We have been voting for the dems for more than 70 years. Why the heck would we jump ship now?

I would expect for blacks to step up to the plate and not cry wolf at the drop of a hat when something doesn't go their way. Reverse descrimination is seemingly more rampant than anything else these days.

And in no other presidential election in history has 96% of ANY demographic voted for one candidate over another. I know quite a few blacks that did not like Obama, but voted for him just to be part of history.

Tell me how this is any better than voting for McCain because he is white?

I would expect for blacks to step up to the plate and not cry wolf at the drop of a hat when something doesn't go their way. Reverse descrimination is seemingly more rampant than anything else these days.

And in no other presidential election in history has 96% of ANY demographic voted for one candidate over another. I know quite a few blacks that did not like Obama, but voted for him just to be part of history.

Tell me how this is any better than voting for McCain because he is white?

96% is high, but not surprising when you consider

84% voted for Clinton in 1996
90% voted for Gore in 2000
88% voted Kerry in 2004

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/elections/natl.exit.poll/index1.html

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/results/

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

I believe blacks are voting based on party not race.

Very few blacks would ever vote for a Republican, and would have voted for another democrat as well. Our whole country is in trouble, and more people will vote when they see the possibility of a positive change. We didn't need 4 more years of a never-ending war and our economy getting worse. I am white, but I am happy to have voted for Obama.

As far as his race, how would he choose to identify as only white when he is obviously a man of color? If he did, he would be condemned by both sides anyway.:confused3 I have heard Obama praise the white side of his family for his whole campaign(although he didn't say "my white mother", etc, but then so you describe your relatives that way)

Marsha

I too, believe that this is an amazing time.

I was a child during the early civil rights movement. I remember a time with segregated facilities, and, until 1965, black citizens COULD NOT EVEN VOTE. So incredible that 43 years later an African American would be elected President. And I am so thankful those days are long gone. In fact, the concept is so foreign, that when I tried to explain this to my children, they just didn't get it. The idea of someone not being able to use a bathroom, drinking fountain, sit at a restaurant or the front of the bus just because of the color of their skin is an idea that they just can't grasp - and that is a great thing.

But does race and color even matter? And IS he black, African American, or white?

I think he views himself as both. Remember his speech on race? He said that he could not disown Rev. Jeremiah Wright any more than he could disown his white grandmother. How can someone choose? I know this feeling from personal experience with my own children. I am of Asian ancestry - my parents are from China - but grew up as American as apple pie, in a small town in the middle of the country. My husband is Caucasian, and our kids? Well, on my daughter's college application, she checked both Asian and Caucasian for her ethnicity.

Wouldn't it be great someday if we didn't even have those categories on applications and forms, and we were all a nice light brown color? ;)

I have heard Obama praise the white side of his family for his whole campaign(although he didn't say "my white mother", etc, but then so you describe your relatives that way)

Marsha

Funny all I ever heard him say was how he identified with his father's family, and he DID refer to his grandmother as his "white grandmother".

If you seriously think that blacks voted for Obama solely on his qualifications you are deluding yourself. Have you watched ANY television? Every single person that I have seen on TV celebrating Obama's victory has made it very clear that they were voting for him based on race. If they weren't there would be no reason to mention that he was black in the first place....which, is technically incorrect but hey, if he doesn't want to acknowledge half of his biological family who solely raised and cared for him, who are we to judge him on lack of character?

I just realized something yesterday. My girls are 5yo. This is the first election that they will remember.

They know that a woman named Hilliary Clinton campaigned for Pres.
They know that a woman named Sarah Palin ran for VP.
They know that their next Pres is a person of color.

As far as my girls are concerned, this is the norm!!! They will grow up knowing that any person regardless of race, gender or skin color can be President of the US. They won't be locked in the "old, white guy" frame of mind.

How cool is that !!!!!!!!!

We also had a Hispanic running for the Dem nomination (Richardson), and in the next couple elections you may see multiple women running (e.g, Palin, Clinton, Sebelius, etc) and an Indian-American (Jindal) running for the POTUS and/or VP. Race and gender is still a big deal and plays a part, but I think it will be largely irrelevant within 1/2 a generation.

If you seriously think that blacks voted for Obama solely on his qualifications you are deluding yourself. Have you watched ANY television? Every single person that I have seen on TV celebrating Obama's victory has made it very clear that they were voting for him based on race. If they weren't there would be no reason to mention that he was black in the first place....which, is technically incorrect but hey, if he doesn't want to acknowledge half of his biological family who solely raised and cared for him, who are we to judge him on lack of character?

If you think blacks voted solely on race you are wrong.

Yes people are proud. That pride is what people are expressing.

Our votes and support aren’t based solely on race. The lack of support for Rice and Thomas proves that it’s about more then just race.

Hey, smidgy! Just wanted to say that yes, it is a very exciting time! Sorry this thread is quickly dissolving into not what you intended... I say we go toast the new president! :drinking1

as a white female, age 52, this is very exciting to me!. I remember, as a middle school child, seeing the race riots in my home town, Chicago. regardless of your partisan commitment, to me this is an historic moment!!. those of us who have revered Colin Powell, as republicans, can stand back and say, PROUDLY, that this is TRULY a land of opportunity!
Powell would have gotten my vote because of who he is and what he's done. NOT because of his skin color. Obama doesn't even shadow him.

Is he the first balck President or the first Bi-Racial President...why isn't he considered a "white" President if he's half white:confused3 ...then again why do we need to label everyone:confused3
His race matters only in that it matters to some. When he received the Democratic nomination, I was surprised; I hadn't heard of him before, and I honestly didn't think America was ready for a black president.

Aside from this, the man has an Arab/Muslim middle name. I can't tell you how many times I heard comments about his middle name being "Hussein" (clearly he must be Muslim then!) :sad2:

I'm 46 years old and grew up in a time and area where racial slurs and ethnic jokes were commonplace. I remember getting harrassed in school because I sat by a black girl on the bus. I'm part Native American, but very few people can tell by looking at me. I self-identify as both Native American and white, but people want to discount my NA heritage because they can't "see" it in my face and skin.

I'm married to an Arab American. He is half-white American and was raised by his mother's side of the family, so identifies culturally with the white American. However, since the Gulf War, encountering people who are angry at or afraid of Arabs has become an unsurprising thing. You know those "random" security searches at the airport? In my family we expect them, because 9 times out of 10, one of us will be selected, including my blond toddler.

So yeah, seeing all the fuss made over a Christian African American's middle name was very disturbing. Not surprising, but disturbing all the same.

If you live in some little pocket of America where race truly does not matter to anyone, where no one has any prejudice against skin color or religion or ethnic name, then count yourself lucky. That is the America I hope exists for my children someday. That's the America I caught a little glimmer of hope from with this election.

If you think blacks voted solely on race you are wrong.

Yes people are proud. That pride is what people are expressing.

Our votes and support aren’t based solely on race. The lack of support for Rice and Thomas proves that it’s about more then just race.

The reason Dr. Rice do not get a lot of support is because she is a friend of G W Bush. Clarence Thomas made the statement about affirmative action that cause a fall out among some blacks. Being a young black male ,obama did not get my support. Not because of his color but because of his stands and support of things that I think are morally wrong. I guess we will have at least 4 more years of the clintons, He is putting all of the old clintons people back in place.:yay:

Yes OP, it is truly wonderful that it can happen now. And I really think that most of us yearning for the hatred to be gone for good.

My kids' elementary school vice principal (she is black in a mostly white school) left school at 6:30 on election day, drove 1 hour to Grant Park, and drove home at 2:30 in the morning drained from happiness and crying. I think that for her, knowing that for the children in her school and in her family there is a feeling of cultural pride and hope and that can only lead to good things for us all.

I didn't mean to take away from the sentiment expressed by the OP.

I've tried typing out a response a couple times and it always sounded wrong... so I guess I'll just say what I'm thinking and hope that it turns out okay.

Personally, I want to be able to say that I'm glad we're at a point where we see past the color of someone's skin. But unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case. I do think there are a lot of people who voted for him because he's black. And I don't necessarily think that's wrong... your reason for choosing a candidate is a personal thing. But at the same time, if it's okay to vote for him because he's black, it has to be okay for someone else to not vote for him because he's black. And I just don't believe that's okay.

I guess what I'm saying is that either way, race is still playing a part in it. And I just wish that it didn't have to.

This sounds so perfect in my head, but when I type it out it sounds wrong :confused3

I personally do not find anything good about this election!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to finish the next 4 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter