A bit OT: Does it bother anyone else...

bullet875

Mouseketeer
that Kmart is open Thanksgiving day? I was looking at the BF thread and noticed he Thanksgiving day sales. I just feel badly for those employees with families who are stuck working that day.

I think they have been doing that for years. I can remember back at least 10 years or so that they have been open on Thanksgiving Day.

I had no idea. I think I have gone into a K-mart twice in the past 10 years though.

Dawn

I don't go either but I know people I have worked with over the years have gone on Thanksgiving Day.

Many occupations work both shifts & the holidays:confused3 comes with the territory.

Especially, if a holiday salary premium is involved; typically no problem getting volunteers;) .

Nope not at all. I have worked the past 3 Thanksgivings and I work for FedEx... So like another poster said there are other occupations out there that have to work holidays. They choose to work at K-Mart come with the territory.

Wow - the majority of my Kmart employees are American, so I'm not sure where the pp is located.

Anyway - I work in retail and have worked many Thanksgivings. I don't have any problem with it (I would have more of an issue being forced to work a religous holiday than this one). Most of the time employers are considerate and schedule around the employees' plans. For example - many people eat an early Thansgiving meal at 2-ish - these people might work from 4 - midnight. And if you're having dinner at 6:00 - you might work 8 - 4, so it likely works out for everyone or almost everyone - and hey, it gets you out of cooking the meal!!! So that's an added bonus!

Kmart is open - has been for a number of years now as we used to stop & shop on the way to my brother's house for early dinner - as are most of our supermarkets (they just close a little early).

Wow - the majority of my Kmart employees are American, so I'm not sure where the pp is located.

The 2 Kmarts in my area are staffed by a majority of Asian Indians, s I'm not sure if they would celebrate Thanksgiving if they had the day. Many of them just took off last week for their big holiday, Diwali.

My husband works in management in a store that is a division of Kroger and they are closed one day a year and one day only....Christmas Day!

I can't remember my husband ever having Thanksgiving day off in all the years we've been married! I go to my parents out of town without him!:rolleyes:

That's what happens when you work retail!

that Kmart is open Thanksgiving day? I was looking at the BF thread and noticed he Thanksgiving day sales. I just feel badly for those employees with families who are stuck working that day.

Just think about the places that NEVER close...hospitals, police and fire departments.

It's all part of the job and you are told that when you are hired.

Yeah, I feel sorry for them, but they knew about holiday working before they were hired.

I worked at Walgreens years ago. They are open Christmas day. I worked that morning and we were slammed with people buying super late-minute gifts and forgotten ingredients for their holiday dishes.

I swore I would never work another Christmas. Ever. Especially not in a retail store. But, I'm thankful for the police officers, health professionals, and others who do.

I read that more and more stores are talking about starting their thanksgiving sales on thanksgiving night. I think that's brilliant as most people sit around that night bored and stuffed. There's a reason it's the busiest night at the movies!

Do I feel bad for the retail people, sure, I guess. For years now, Garden Ridge has done a huge sale where they're open from Thanksgiving until the following Sunday, non-stop. Now that must really stink. But like someone else said, you know going into retail that you are going to have to work holidays. It's why I didn't sign up for seasonal retail work though I'm currently looking for a job and a little fun holiday money would have been nice. I knew that I wouldn't be able to work the day before or the day after xmas, and those are pretty much mandatory. Besides, it's not like Thanksgiving is a religious holiday, and for some people it's a way to make that extra holiday pay so that they can have a little extra in the kitty for christmas presents.

Personally, when I was in high school and college (the first time ;) ) I used having to work as an excuse to not have to go to extended family events -- which were generally awkward, painful torture with people who on a general basis dislike each other. Thanksgiving is not always a good time for everyone -- some don't have family, some don't like their family, some just don't care about the holiday. Having a place to go, even if it is work, can be a blessing in disguise ;)

They've been doing that for years.

We use to always have Thanksgiving dinner and than the girls would go out shopping afterwards while the guys stayed home to nap.

Hospitals, and Fire Departments and such are not the same. The way I look at it I don't think stores should be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas. If it is a little country store run by family that is one thing. That is their lively hood and their choice. At the larger stores though or any other non essential job I don't think it is fair to the employees. Last year my dh had to work Thanksgiving day. They told him he would be through before dinner, so he could be with his family. He did not finish until 5 that afternoon. They gave him a choice work or not have a job Friday morning.

I think every retailer should be closed on major holidays and Sundays. We could learn to live without shopping on those days. I heard that a retailer would be opening at midnight on Thanksgiving, but I do not remember who.

I do feel bad for them. I've worked in some of those occupations during college and it stunk. There obviously are some that are needed- doctors, nurses, police, etc., but I think we should be able to close the stores for a day.

Although, I did have a friend who worked at Kmart in high school and they would go and just stock that day. She liked it because they got holiday pay! So, I guess there are both sides!

It doesn't bother me, but I work in a hospital and have worked my share of holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, Easter, etc.

My DH is a paramedic, and they work two set days a week (24 hour shifts). He's on Tuesday/Saturday, so he'll be off Thanksgiving, but work Christmas.

My grandma worked in a grocery store for 16 years, and she worked every Thanksgiving (and Christmas Eve although she got off in time for church, ever Easter, NYE and NY Day, etc). Even though she was the oldest employee, they knew she wouldn't argue if she was scheduled to work. The younger people, college kids, etc, never had to work holidays. She needed a job, and they knew it.

Although, I did have a friend who worked at Kmart in high school and they would go and just stock that day. She liked it because they got holiday pay! So, I guess there are both sides!

I'm losing my mind, even when I was writing my post I didn't remember this story until I read yours. Oy, my memory these days...

Anyway...

On Sunday I was at Whole Foods with DH. I was talking to the bakery people and asked, "Did I read correctly that you guys are open until 2 pm on Thanksgiving day?" When they confirmed, I said, "Well that stinks for you guys!" And one said while the rest nodded and grinned, "No way, we get holiday pay!!" I admit I was surprised that all of them were eager to work.

I don't know about other areas, but there are plenty of people around here that have different religious beliefs and likely don't mind working. Heck, we sometimes hit the China Buffet for dinner on Christmas! (Yes, the place is packed.)

To those of you working on the holiday, thank you. Without you we would have been battery-less on more than on occasion :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter