A bit Annoyed

Dizneyman71

Earning My Ears
Jen and I (Ryan) have set a date to get married in WDW the date is September 18th 2004 it will be 2:30 Ceremony at the wedding pavilion, 5:30 Pre-Reception at Italy's Isola, dinner at 6:30 at American Adventure rotunda, and Dessert at 8:30 back at Italy Isola for Illuminations then back to America for the dancing.

The problem is we just received the letter of agreement (contract, BOOK) and I knew it was going to be expensive (125- 150 people) but this is crazy!!! No one would talk to us about the amount it would cost. They said once we went under contract we would be given a wedding planer that would help us set budgets. As a businessman I work on numbers and like to know what I am getting into before I sign an agreement. We haven’t even picked out extras yet like pictures, music, anything other then just the raw information like places and times. And it’s already expensive. The biggest thing is we are financially responsible for room blocks for our guests. What the he** is that all about. Disney sets the number based on your estimates of people coming (out of a hat) and they make you finically responsible for them. Disney is making enough money, as it is this is a kick in the face.

I am a long time Disney lover and collector of animation art ECT. Have been to WDW over 60 times always dreamed about getting married there but this is outrageous!!

Has anyone else had problems with this??? Are there any ways to cut costs, what have others paid for a wedding of this size??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can cut costs by having a weekday wedding, or a wedding that's earlier in the day, so your food minimums are less. You can go all out, or you can go with the bare minimum, $7500 wedding (though with the amount of guests you're having, your food will be the biggest expense - that's your choice to have that many guests, though, not a Disney-imposed thing).
Outside vendors like Randy Chapman are less expensive than Disney photographers.
Bottom line, if you can't afford it, don't get married there. There are plenty of other places to have weddings, though I think you'll find that their prices are competitive with other top-notch venues. But no sense spending something you're not comfortable with. You may also want to reconsider the huge guest list, if you are really tight for $$.
Cheers!
Heather W

We married at Sunset Point at the Poly in 2000 and did an "intimate wedding" which is designed for smaller groups. For us it was just four of us, the minister, the violinist and our wedding coordinator (who was absolutely fan-Disney-tastic!). hmp2z is correct that there are many ways to save money and honestly, it sounds as though you have a very elaborate affair planned. Don't get me wrong, it is the most important day of your life and certainly worth every penny however you decide to do it. But look at your priorities and remember that it is your day - do what you want to do (within reason and budget). You might also consider having the ceremony somewhere other than the Wedding Pavilion (the most expensive wedding locale at WDW) - The Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge and the Poly all have outside venues for weddings.

It sounds like you have an idea now of what it will cost...if you still want to get married there, do it. Set your budget and work within it - there's no doubt your wedding will be magical no matter what size or how big or small the celebration is. Make the most of it and enjoy!!!!

Congratulations and best of luck!

I understand the choice is mine and I must be able to afford it (which I can) that does not mean I agree to all the conditions especially if they are unreasonable.

Examples: we are financially responsible for room blocks of 50 room nights this equates to $6870.00 Disney states the three categories the rooms will be in, deluxe, moderate, and value
This does not include 20% service charge and 6.5% tax (tax I agree to)
Speaking about the 20% service charge remember we will be paying a rental fee for the areas we are using, wedding pavilion, Italy, and America the 20% is above and beyond the total amount of the wedding so basically Disney is making another 20% profit on top of there high prices.

Yes I know 100- 125 people seems like a lot but that’s actually 1/2 of what the wedding would be if we were to have it home.

Even if we were to have the wedding in Manhattan at a very expensive place it still would not cost as much even with the extra people. (By a long shot)

The basis of what I am saying is this: some things just seem a bit unfair. If Disney would like to extend a special room rate to my guests that’s one thing but to tell us we must fill 50 room nights (already down from 75 is what they wanted in the first place) or we will be Financially responsible with no credit to us is just wrong.

Hi Ryan

I can see what you are saying - lucky for me I already had an incling as to what WDW's minimums were before we got our contract so I was already prepared for the cost shock.

OK the minimum room nights do seem a killer but I promise you that 50 room nights is nothing for the amount of guests you have. I appreciate that you feel it's just plain wrong LOL I'm with you there but at the end of the day IT IS DISNEY and they're pretty much a law unto themselves in the world of business. They've obviously made this a contractual requirement for some time now and they seem to have a lot of Custom weddings there every year so they must be doing something right :)

I originally only have to guarantee 25 room nights. After sending out little response cards to my guests with a personal save the date newsletter, I soon saw that I could gurantee 75 room nights and that was on only 40 guests this in turn meant that my guests got an even greater room night discount as well - I'm already at 90 and I still have more people looking to book. And it's not like we have lots of British people who I appreciate have more vacation time over half of our guests are from the US.

Now I have encouraged all my guests to stay on-site for pure selfish reasons - I know where they are and I can get hold of them should I need to. Also we are providing transport to the wedding only for those guests staying on site so that helped to get them on board. With the discounts that we were offered it also made sense.

Finally I believe that the 20% is just on food and beverage not on all costs and some service orientated costs but someone else jump in here if I'm wrong.

Ryan I see you're a hardened Disney traveller so I'm sure you know by now that Disney have their own ways and as a corporation they are rather "vain" for want of a better word and so just expect people to "suck it up" and people, LOL, like me, do :D

Your wedding plans sound absolutely marvelous and I really hope that you go with your first choice of the Disney wedding. Like others have said before me, there are other ways to cut down on costs and we'll all be here to help with that should you wish anymore advice.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the response Sam you are right we have to suck it up LOL I also know in the end it will be a great Disney wedding 1st Class all the way We just weren’t ready for the contract that came in a form of a book:)

We are going to have the wedding at Disney on September 18th 2004
Maybe we will move it to behind the castle instead since we will hit there pricing minims. :) I will post our final decision when we sign the paperwork

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Originally posted by Dizneyman71
The basis of what I am saying is this: some things just seem a bit unfair. If Disney would like to extend a special room rate to my guests that’s one thing but to tell us we must fill 50 room nights (already down from 75 is what they wanted in the first place) or we will be Financially responsible with no credit to us is just wrong.

It's not unfair - like Sam said, it's DISNEY! They are a corporation just like any others, and have to make profits for their shareholders (like me!). They just charge as much as people are willing to pay, and as long as people are willing to pay (and we are), why should they lower their rates or room requirements? And it sounds like they have already negotiated with you; 50 room nights for 125 people is a very, very low number to fill.
I have heard several people from NYC complain about prices at WDW. I know there are plenty of wedding factories there where you can get your wedding cranked out for less money. But it's all in the quality that you are looking for. Having planned events at hotels around the US, I know that Disney's prices are very reasonable, for the quality that you receive from them.
Good luck, and remember, if you aren't happy with the money you're spending, you can always decide to have it elsewhere, or invite fewer people.
Cheers!
Heather W

First, I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful advice and ideas they have given us about our Disney wedding. It all has been very helpful and useful, thank you! I am the other half of Ryan (Dizneyman71) and Jennifer...A Bit Annoyed.... I think our concerns and thoughts were taken in the wrong sense in some cases though, and I would like to chime in.

We knew from the start that this was going to cost us a lot, but like Ryan stated, we wanted a Disney wedding no matter what AND we have the money. We also knew how they were going to be after having talked to a few wedding veterans, what I do not agree with is all of the "extra" charges for every thing you choose to do. They basically charge you twice for everything. And the room guarantee...again, it's not the money thing, it is just ridiculous to require someone to book rooms in that fashion. I too am a huge Disney fan, been there many many times, invest in them and their programs, and I know that they are in a way a state all their own, but this "requirement" makes me very unhappy. Yes, we are going to suck it up and do it, it is our dream, but that does not mean I have to agree with the way they are doing things.

As to having a wedding in NYC, yes, there are wedding factories but that is true of everywhere. To address hmp2z's comments on "having a wedding cranked out for less money", there are many more places in NYC than wedding factories; historical places, museums, churches, parks, famous landmarks, botanical gardens, not to mention the beautiful architecture and uncomparable views, to have weddings. Were I to have a wedding there, it would not have been in a wedding factory. That is not me. I have done my research, and I am just saying that I can do this in NYC, as custom and as high a quality, in a different way as Disney yes, and without the mouse I know! but I would not have to guarantee anyone anything, least of all a hotel room. But I chose Disney, and I know I have to swallow what they give me, but that does not make it right.

Don't get me wrong, I want my wedding at Disney, no doubt about it, but they really have got to find a better way of going about what they expect of us, thier guests.

We really just wanted to see if anyone else had a hard time with this and if so, how they handled it.

Thanks to all,
Jennifer

I know there are many ups and downs to planning any wedding. We were initially very concerned and upset about the room nights block required in our original contract. However, we were very surprised how easy it was to meet, and for us even exceed it.

With regard to the service charge, I recall we paid a service charge (gratuity) for the food and beverages, but I don't recall it applying anywhere else in our contract, and I actually was cleaning things out recently and came across it, so it is somewhat fresh in my mind.

Another thing we found was it was very possible to have a very nice, elegant wedding for the food/beverage per person minimum without having to cut corners. Same was true with flowers and most other items. We were very happy with how it turned out.

Best wishes for a wonderful time for both of you.

I would first like to say that I am sorry you didn't realize how expensive things could be. I am also planning a custom wedding but not for two years so I haven't been able to be in contact with DFTW yet. I have done a lot of research so I won't be so surprised when I get down to the actual cost. I agree that the costs are a little outrageous and some of things such as room blocks are outrageous too but like someone said earlier we will suck it up to have our Disney wedding and in the end it will be all worth you'll see. I realize that you can afford it but are just a little shocked and wanted some advice and that is okay. No need to apologize for people taking it the wrong way. Some people are so Disney crazy and deffend Disney in any way they can and that is okay to just like it is okay to think some of the prices are a little ridiculous. hmp2z comments are a little harsh stating Bottom line if you can't afford it don't get married there and the wedding factory comment but that is okay everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is hard to understand the frustration of being a custom bride as opposed to being an intimate bride. Please no one take offense because both are just as great and If I really could narrow my guest list down that much I wouldn't mind having an intimate wedding. I love these boards and it is great to get everyones opinions and that is what makes these boards and people so special. You will be fine and all of the fees and costs will be nothing once your day is here and you have the most magical day of your life. You really are getting quality for those fees and a wedding of your dreams. Please feel free to vent anytime and ask any questions you may have!! I hope you have a wonderful time planning your wedding and can justify the extra fees to have the wedding of your dreams!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hi Jennifer thanks for stopping by and Congratulations on your up and coming wedding to Ryan :Pinkbounc

This has got me thinking now.......... Why do Disney FTW request a room minimum, is it paranoia ? Regardless of the room minimum requirements I know that most, if not all, of my guests would have chosen to stay at Disney but the fact that they force it on us is a little bit of a downer even though I can guarantee the room night minimum and then some, I agree with Jennifer it doesn't mean that you have to like it.

Are Disney actually worried that if they don't have all the guests staying on-site they'll lose out on the guests spending their money at Disney?

So when I got quoted my room discount rates I went back and questioned them as I was not happy with the little discount they were offering me on the moderate resort it was more than the rack rate for the same time this year !!! I explained to them that it was all very well Disney insisting on a room night minimum but how could I get my guests to stay on site if they're charging exorbitant prices in order to do so. I then told them "surely it is in Disney's interest to lower the room rate so that you have a captive guest with a wallet rather than have them stay off-site and eating and shopping off-site"............ next day I got a new set of discounts which for Regular season were fab!!

I just checked on my contract and that 20% added gratuity is for just food and beverage related items including cake and Illuminations Party.

Jennifer I hope that the above helps you and if I can help in any other way let me know - I've already got a good feeling about your wedding and I just know it's gonna be a "buster" of a Disney wedding. I just cannot believe that we have to wait until September to see your photos

I just wanted to add that we also felt that the contract was a bit of a smack in the face (it was a book full of large words and jargon committing us to spend a LOT of money!) when we expected one or two pages to sign at the bottom. However, this wears off. We were especially taken aback by the room requirements, because our sales manager left out the bit about it being a "requirement" until we got the contract - afterwards they explained that they have to include in those terms to make sure that the rooms are exempt from the normal set of available rooms. So we went about it by blocking all of our rooms at the cheapest resort - the All Star Movies. Since we had to provide transportation to our reception at the Living Seas, it worked out great because then all of our guests could use the charter bus to the wedding and back from the reception directly to the hotel. I have to say that everyone had a blast and I do understand the thinking behind the room requirement, I just think that it needs to be made clear to each couple that it is a REQUIREMENT, not just a favor to have rooms booked BEFORE the contract arrives in all of its glory. I do agree with some of the other posts that the total amount shouldn't have been such a shock - and I think we all wish we had the budget to do all of the things that you have planned for your special day. But you wedding will be perfect no matter which dinner you choose or how many flowers you order -- so keep in mind that you can trim a little here and there if need be. When it comes down to it - only the two of you are important on this day, the little details will be a blur and it will go faster than you ever imagined! So my advice is not to overplan too much and don't get caught up in the details- plan just enough so that you will really be able to take it all in! Good luck, relax and enjoy!

Marne
06-16-03
WP/LS

I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels this way! So there are others that were hit in the head with this requirement thing after the fact! Our sales person did not tell us that either, we had to enlist another sales person because our's was completely unhelpful, and missing in action...but that is another story.

I know, I know....it's my wedding day, I wanted it this way, and I can cut back, yes, and I know I am lucky to be able to afford what I can, and thankful that I can have my dream wedding. But, again it's not a cost thing, its a principle thing. We knew from day one that it was going to cost a lot considering what we want to do, how many people we wanted to have, etc, so that was not a shock. But we did set a budget, so as not to go crazy. So the shock came about when we got the contracts, read it, and started to figure where we are at money-wise at this point...mind you we have only picked our sites, booked the date, and got a figure for those blasted room requirements, and we are almost at three quaters of our budget! We still have to pick out flowers, food, music, photos. See where I am going? The initial fees on top of fees for the sites is what kills me. There is one for using the site (ok, that is fine) but another because we are serving food at that site...come on...then another per head charge for that same site. So in a sense you are getting charged twice...that is what annoys me. So for each site we are using we get charged a useage fee, and dare we serve food, to humans, we get charged for both choices. And did I mention the "viewing" charge for Illuminations???? I think that is a third charge... Where does it end? That is the issue. Anybody else with me here? I just feel that this is all another slap in the head, and yet another thing we were NOT told about BEFORE the contracts came.

You have all been so helpful and I just hope that after my shock wears off I can be of help to someone too. :(

OMG Jennycee yes !! Do not even get me started on the outside vendor fee. I'm having Randy and STVS for exactly the same times but I have to pay up 2 seperate outside Vendor fees for both. I ask "Well can't the same person chaperoning Randy chaperone Stan" !! This is another fee I'm having to "suck-up".

Have to say I was surprised to hear that I wasn't going to get charged to use outside floral too !!

Still even with the above charges it is still working out cheaper to use the outside vendors for my requirements.

So far the only thing I'm using Disney for is cosmetology and of course the entertainment.

Originally posted by jennycee
But we did set a budget, so as not to go crazy. So the shock came about when we got the contracts, read it, and started to figure where we are at money-wise at this point...mind you we have only picked our sites, booked the date, and got a figure for those blasted room requirements, and we are almost at three quaters of our budget!

Maybe I'm mis-interpreting this, but as long as you meet your room requirements, you will never have to lay this money out (for the room requirement that is). Your guests will pay their deposits and the balances for the room directly to Disney and you will NEVER have to lay this cash out. The way I'm reading your post is that you are concerned that you will have to lay this money out even if your room requirements are met. Not the case (at least it wasn't when we were married November 2002). However, If you don't meet your requirements, you will be responsible for the portion you don't meet 30 days prior to the wedding. Like I said, perhaps I'm mis-interpreting.

As others have said, with 125-150 guests, you should easily meet your room requirements.

Also, regarding the 20% service charge, it only applies to food & beverage items (or at least that was the case in Nov 2002)

I agree that it's wrong that you weren't warned about the room requirments prior to being sent the contract, that is unfortunate.

Hope this helps some and remember, no matter what you choose, your wedding day will be special because it's your wedding day. It's not about the flowers you choose or the flavor of the cake. It's about two people pledging their love to each other.

Lori :earsgirl:

I am sorry to hear that no one at Disney explained the room night requirement ahead of time. As far as that goes, we have had NO trouble meeting ours, and well over half of our wedding guests have not even booked their rooms yet. We had to guarantee 75 room nights, and we're already up to 65 of those. As far as the other fees go, you can always select a less expensive WDW venue. The AA has several additional fees that most of the other reception venues don't have (like a room rental fee, the host/hostess fees, charter bus fees, etc). Also, the Illuminations party is an added cost as well. I know it's easy to get sticker shock with weddings, but if it's what you want and you can afford it, then go for it.

Another former Disney bride here - I was also worried about meeting my minimums because we're local. Ended up booking twice as many room nights as required :p

Why do Disney FTW request a room minimum

I think it's because the FTW department grew out of the conventions department. From what I understand, conventions has the same requirements of parties booking events at WDW.

If you look at the wedding in terms of a "meeting", the room block guarantee is pretty much standard operating procedure. You can't hold a meeting/convention at WDW without guaranteeing a certain number of room nights. This is really the same thing. They aren't going to allow a wedding that doesn't also cover a minimum number of room nights. As others have said, unless you are also going to pay for your guests, you won't actually be laying out this much cash.

Disneyman...

We had a very similar wedding to yours about 5 years ago. We had our pre-reception at the French Arm and our reception at the Isola from 9:00pm-1:00am. We only had 50 people though. I remember having a pretty good idea of the minimums that Disney required and we definitely knew about the room requirements up front.

The one *big* surprise for us was when we received our "Entertainment Proposal". This included musicians at the ceremony, characters, six piece band and italian quartet (played when the band too breaks) for the whole night. We figured all of that would cost us about 8 grand. We got the proposal and it said that it would run us $13,500!!! When we read it we saw that they were charging us $3,205 for lighting/staging/dancefloor, $650 for "technical services", and $1350 for landscaping. Needless to say I got right on the phone with my coordinator, but it didn't do any good....we ended up having to pay that. We paid for our own wedding, so that extra 5 grand hurt even more ;o).

Have they told you that you'll need to pay a certain amount per person to get them into Epcot? That's a nasty little surpise too if you're not expecting it.

Overall though, it was just awesome. It was absolutely the best event of our lives. Our guests still talk about it to this day. We ended up spending 35K just on the wedding day, but we did upgrade the menu and wine a great deal though. That number includes the ceremony, transportation for guests, entertainment for ceremony, cocktail hour and reception, booze, flowers, photography......doesn't include lodging, reception dinner or passes. Overall though, I'd do it again in a minute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter