A Big Fat ZILCH!!!! (vent)

smkiya

<font color=deeppink>Sorta new. ;) Still gets a ta
This is the worst Christmas ever, and I'm very upset about the whole thing. I'm at my wits end with dh, and I just don't even know what to do about it. All he seems to care about is himself. Yeah he's a good dad to dd, but acts like a babysitter to ds. I work every weekend (24-32 hours) and sometimes during the week (an additional 8-12 on the overnight shift, I normally work days), next week I'll be starting a second job so I'll be working even more. Sometimes when I work days during the week, I have to get everything ready for ds and dd the night before. I get up at 5am, get myself ready for work pack up ds and drive 30 minutes to drop him off at my moms. Then from there I drive 40 minutes to work. I work 8-12 hours and then drive all the way back to my moms to pick up ds and then drive all the way back home. On Fridays in preparation for me being at work (normally 7am-7:30pm Sat and Sun usually later) I have to have everything ready for the kids even though they'll be home with dh, and I get all of my stuff ready for work. When I'm not working during the week, I shop, clean, take care of the baby, drop dd off at school, pick her up from school, and have dinner ready. Dh gets up in the morning for work and gets himself ready and comes home from work, helps himself to dinner, and then lays on the sofa and watches tv/plays on the computer (must be nice!). When I complain about how I do everything, he starts in, "well I work!". Guess what, me too! Just because I work fewer days (because they're over 12 hours each as an RN in a hospital on a busy floor), I still work. When I hand him ds to hold he says, "why are you giving him to me?" (because you're his father!) and he comes back with "well, I have them all weekend." (but everything is done for them. Their clothes are laid out, they're food is prepared. All you have to do is play with them.)

So this Wednesday he asks me, "so what do you want for Christmas?" Um, it's 2 days away and you're asking me now. I responded, "well, if you haven't gotten me anything by now." He then continued to ask. I said, "whatever" rather sarcastically, I mean come on. So yesterday, Christmas Eve, me and dd are wrapping gifts and he drops some giftcards next to me. "here ya go" he says (they're re-gifts, the leftovers from what he gave his staff). I was livid, he couldn't even wrap it or put it in a card to pretend he put some thought into it. Christmas morning he got his gifts, laptop, clothes, socks, and underwear (stuff he's been complaining about needing for some time) and I got nothing. Not the bowling shoes I've been talking about for the past 3 months, not a lottery ticket (I play every week), not even a bag of Swedish fish (my fave), NOTHING! Oh wait, he did put those gift cards in an envelope :sad2:.

Last night we went to his family's house to exchange gifts and have dinner. Today we were supposed to go to my moms. His mother asked us to go there again today for dinner, and because the roads were going to be bad I postponed going to my moms, and agreed to come and offered to make baked mac & cheese, but she didn't give us a time (I figured 5 or 6p because we didn't eat until 7:30p yesterday).

This morning after the unwrapping, I went to make breakfast, it was 11am. I start peeling potatoes for home fries, get the bacon going and he calls his mom and she says dinner is at 1pm. What?! Dd hadn't even played with any of her gifts yet, I still had to make breakfast and the mac and cheese, and get the kids ready! And don't forget, today is friday, so I have a long weekend ahead of me at work, plus I'm working Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Then dh says, "will you hurry up and take him (ds), I have to shave, do my hair, take a shower, and get dressed!" :mad: I threw the peeled potatoes out, didn't bother with the cinnamon buns, but I did make ham & cheese omelettes and bacon. I then made mac and cheese, then got dd ready, then got ds ready, then got myself ready, but I still had to feed ds and do dd's hair and it's 1:15p. Dh is rushing me, "what's taking so long" I mentioned all the things I had to do alone, and how he only thought about himself and he says, "so you made breakfast, it wasn't even that good." I told him to go without me, he took dd and I stayed home with ds. I called at 2pm so they didnt wait around for me to eat, to say I wasn't coming. My niece just called to ask why I didn't come, and I said because I wasn't feeling well. She said, we all wanted to see the baby and I said, he'll be over tomorrow. (dh goes to his mothers every Saturday, I wonder why...) They just saw the baby yesterday at dinner and we did gifts yesterday. We were supposed to be at my familiy's today anyway (of which I doubt dh wouldve come, he never does).

Sorry for the long vent, I just had to let this off of my chest.

Honey, you need a "come to Jesus meeting" now. Or your marriage wil not last. I'm sad for you.

I was thinking a frying pan would be a good alternative.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Wow, I would be more than upset too. In fact my husband just read this as well and said "Wow, did he really think any of that would get him points?" So if a man thinks it's bad, it clearly is. Sorry your Christmas was ruined by him and I hope he realizes how his behavior is affecting you and the family.

You need to talk with him. Tell him how you feel.

You deserve better. If he doesn't want to help more its time to dump him. Trust me there are men out there that wouldn't dream of treating their wife like this.

i am so sorry, OP :hug: i wish there was a nice way to say this, but honestly, there's not. your DH is a tool. i'm sure you'll get lots of other posts saying basically the same thing. i'd like to offer you some sort of excuse for his behavior, but based upon your post, i can't even make up an excuse for it. i pray your day improves.

The gift thing I could work with but his attitude and the general not helping with the kids and sharing the work would be a deal breaker for me. You need to have a long talk with him for sure! Sorry your going through this. :hug:

wow, I don't have much to tell you but :hug: as for him, I would have some few choice words :headache:

I hope your day gets better.

:hug:

I'm sorry your Christmas is so bad.

Something I heard a long time ago that helped me. Do you want to live like this for the next 20 years? If he doesn't respect you now, your children won't respect you later.

If you accept what is happening, then complaining won't help. It'll just make you more resentful, and your home will continue to be unhappy. You need to make some decisions, and act on them.

It's not going to be easy, but you really need to talk to your husband and work out your issues. Either the two of you will work together to save your marriage, or the two of you will not work together, and you'll need to prepare yourself for being divorced.

BTDT

I wish you the best.

I am sad for you as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that your children will view the two of you and think that is acceptable behavior in a healthy marriage, which it is not. Your son, in particular, could copy this behavior when he is older. You need to put a stop to it now.
Hoping for the best for you and your kids!

This guy is a total loser. With a capital L-O-S-E-R. He doesn't deserve you or your son. Certainly isn't HIS son.... :sad2:

Maybe try counseling. If that doesn't work, he needs to go home to his mommy.

:hug:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Right now I'm going to curl up under a blanket on the sofa with ds and watch a chick flick, Julie & Julia...

I'm so sorry you got stuck with a DH like that. :hug:

He sounds just like my ex-DH. Which is why he's an ex-DH. Eventually I got so tired of taking care of everyone all of the time, plus his mother, so we were done. He wouldn't do marriage counseling or anything, as long as he was fine he thought I should be fine too.

See if you can get him to marriage counseling, ok? And take care of yourself - while he's gone try for a nice hot bath in addition to that movie. :hug:

This is the worst Christmas ever, and I'm very upset about the whole thing. I'm at my wits end with dh, and I just don't even know what to do about it. All he seems to care about is himself. Yeah he's a good dad to dd, but acts like a babysitter to ds. I work every weekend (24-32 hours) and sometimes during the week (an additional 8-12 on the overnight shift, I normally work days), next week I'll be starting a second job so I'll be working even more. Sometimes when I work days during the week, I have to get everything ready for ds and dd the night before. I get up at 5am, get myself ready for work pack up ds and drive 30 minutes to drop him off at my moms. Then from there I drive 40 minutes to work. I work 8-12 hours and then drive all the way back to my moms to pick up ds and then drive all the way back home. On Fridays in preparation for me being at work (normally 7am-7:30pm Sat and Sun usually later) I have to have everything ready for the kids even though they'll be home with dh, and I get all of my stuff ready for work. When I'm not working during the week, I shop, clean, take care of the baby, drop dd off at school, pick her up from school, and have dinner ready. Dh gets up in the morning for work and gets himself ready and comes home from work, helps himself to dinner, and then lays on the sofa and watches tv/plays on the computer (must be nice!). When I complain about how I do everything, he starts in, "well I work!". Guess what, me too! Just because I work fewer days (because they're over 12 hours each as an RN in a hospital on a busy floor), I still work. When I hand him ds to hold he says, "why are you giving him to me?" (because you're his father!) and he comes back with "well, I have them all weekend." (but everything is done for them. Their clothes are laid out, they're food is prepared. All you have to do is play with them.)

So this Wednesday he asks me, "so what do you want for Christmas?" Um, it's 2 days away and you're asking me now. I responded, "well, if you haven't gotten me anything by now." He then continued to ask. I said, "whatever" rather sarcastically, I mean come on. So yesterday, Christmas Eve, me and dd are wrapping gifts and he drops some giftcards next to me. "here ya go" he says (they're re-gifts, the leftovers from what he gave his staff). I was livid, he couldn't even wrap it or put it in a card to pretend he put some thought into it. Christmas morning he got his gifts, laptop, clothes, socks, and underwear (stuff he's been complaining about needing for some time) and I got nothing. Not the bowling shoes I've been talking about for the past 3 months, not a lottery ticket (I play every week), not even a bag of Swedish fish (my fave), NOTHING! Oh wait, he did put those gift cards in an envelope :sad2:.

Last night we went to his family's house to exchange gifts and have dinner. Today we were supposed to go to my moms. His mother asked us to go there again today for dinner, and because the roads were going to be bad I postponed going to my moms, and agreed to come and offered to make baked mac & cheese, but she didn't give us a time (I figured 5 or 6p because we didn't eat until 7:30p yesterday).

This morning after the unwrapping, I went to make breakfast, it was 11am. I start peeling potatoes for home fries, get the bacon going and he calls his mom and she says dinner is at 1pm. What?! Dd hadn't even played with any of her gifts yet, I still had to make breakfast and the mac and cheese, and get the kids ready! And don't forget, today is friday, so I have a long weekend ahead of me at work, plus I'm working Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Then dh says, "will you hurry up and take him (ds), I have to shave, do my hair, take a shower, and get dressed!" :mad: I threw the peeled potatoes out, didn't bother with the cinnamon buns, but I did make ham & cheese omelettes and bacon. I then made mac and cheese, then got dd ready, then got ds ready, then got myself ready, but I still had to feed ds and do dd's hair and it's 1:15p. Dh is rushing me, "what's taking so long" I mentioned all the things I had to do alone, and how he only thought about himself and he says, "so you made breakfast, it wasn't even that good." I told him to go without me, he took dd and I stayed home with ds. I called at 2pm so they didnt wait around for me to eat, to say I wasn't coming. My niece just called to ask why I didn't come, and I said because I wasn't feeling well. She said, we all wanted to see the baby and I said, he'll be over tomorrow. (dh goes to his mothers every Saturday, I wonder why...) They just saw the baby yesterday at dinner and we did gifts yesterday. We were supposed to be at my familiy's today anyway (of which I doubt dh wouldve come, he never does).

Sorry for the long vent, I just had to let this off of my chest.

I completely feel your pain and I'm SOOOO sorry for you, but really don't have any advice. I always think one day he's going to wake up and realize how much he's missed and that he's missing his kids being kids, but in all honesty I don't think he would really even care:sad2: I'm totally done with what the he and I are missing ect., but I feel so badly for my kiddos. Just remember that you can't make him be a better Dad, and it's just something you don't have control over. I agree that you have to have a "come to Jesus meeting," but if you already have or do and still nothing changes, I think you need to start making decisions and just keep doing the best that you can do and being the best mom you can be. Good luck to you!

I agree with what everyone else has said.

But I guess I'm going to be the odd one here and say, you have some part in this. Quite honestly, you do WAY too much. While he takes full ownership for his poor behavior, you've also helped to enable by trying to make up for where he lacks. Just reading what you do makes me want to go to bed for a few hours. Sometimes when people have very high expectations of what they think they need to do and how things should be, it puts pressure on those around them and they can "rebel" in other ways. Believe me, I'm NOT giving your husband a pass but WOW I think you do a LOT.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Right now I'm going to curl up under a blanket on the sofa with ds and watch a chick flick, Julie & Julia...

I'm so sorry you're going through this. And for what it's worth, I found J&J to be a delightful movie. It'll be a nice way to take your mind off of things for a little while. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter