999 Meals, But There's Room for 1,000 - An April 2016 Dining Report - Complete/New DR Link - 10/16

Started your report yesterday afternoon, and now I'm all caught up! Love Casey's running outfit. She is too adorable! Glad the grandparents got to experience Disney with a grandchild! Those photos will be treasured forever. Looking forward to the rest!

Sorry the Sticky Bun was so dry and blah! Nothing is worse than a dry pastry!

I get that about feeling dubbed on spending too much money on that breakfast buffet. It wouldn't be for us either! We just aren't big enough breakfast eaters to really justify that - everytime we give it a character buffet or all you can eat thing a try we leave feeling like we wasted money.

Glad you enjoyed your time with your inlaws but yay for the signature food that is coming!
I'm totally with ya on the wasting money, yet I keep trying them every so often. Except for Tusker House, we just haven't really enjoyed any of the character meals.

Thanks for the GG photos. I am excited to try it next June but I'm not a cinnamon bun fan nor a ham fan, so I'll be stuck to bacon, eggs, fruit and waffles...but I think I'll survive. Lol. I may do a PPO but not sure. I'm sure the boys will like the characters but we'll see how the interactions go.
I hope you all enjoy GG more than we did. With the no ham or cinnamon bun policy it sounds like you should be in good shape with everything else! And more importantly I'm sure your boys will love it. Just be sure to get an earlier time to be on the safe side.

Glad you had such a good time with the grands. My parents came with the boys and I this past June. It wasn't the best time (Dad doesn't follow anyone's schedule but his own) but I'm glad they got to spend time with the boys at Disney.
Yeah I was a little concerned about Jason's Dad because he tends to run on his own time and has no awareness when people are awaiting on him (he's notorious for starting a project something just as we sit down for dinner) but he was great this time. No small miracle for him I'm sure.

I'm sorry you didn't particularly enjoy GG breakfast. We had a very good experience food-wise last Nov. even if I can't say the same for the characters. Our sticky bun was soft and fresh and for some reason, the "potato barrels" tasted better than your average tater tot. That may have been because they were Disney tater tots lol. Even though we all enjoyed the food, the only reason we're going back again this Nov. is because it was Chris's first request.
Yeah, if I remember right you didn't even meet any characters did you????? I think if our sticky bun had been good it would have made everything else better, but I was so down on that the poor potato barrels never stood a chance.

I'm a bit surprised you returned to Citricos! I know it's not one of your favorite signatures. I'm wanting some of that Kalamata olive bread right about now......and yes, the warm chocolate-banana torte is just about perfection :cloud9:
I'm surprised we returned to Citricos, but when we don't do ADRs in advance and don't want to travel too far that can limit our options. We were actually wanting Narcoossee's but it didn't have anything open until after 9. But we were able to sneak it in later....

I like that you prioritize your cocktails. You and I could definitely hang out :)
First drink is on me :drinking1

We had dinner at GG in April and we really enjoyed it. The characters were great that evening, spent much time with us even though we were an adult and teenager. Your signature meal did look good, sorry it wasn't as good as you all expected. I am getting excited to stay at GF in August. Did you get info on the dessert party at Epcot in August? I continue to enjoy your reports and information on the meals/drinks you experience. Andi is my 16 y.o daughter, she was 14 when her and I discovered the awesome Dis boards, hence my user name.
Mickey and friends must have been saving their energy for dinner time on our night :-)

Hope you all love the GF. We are doing the dessert party!!!!! Think when ressies open tomorrow we are going to do dinner at flying fish first then head over there for dessert. Hopefully we can meet then (though chances are very good I'll call you Andi :P)

Wow, you must have been pretty tipsy to photograph an item you hate, but forget the entrees :teeth:
What can I say for a girl that holds her beer and wine really well, liquor is a whole mother story.

I recently read similar things about that GG sticky bun in another DR. Shame the character interactions were too short. At least Casey enjoyed.
Yeah I had too. It sounds like with later reservations fresh and sticky bun seem to be the norm. And you got it right. Money aside, Casey loved it.

Started your report yesterday afternoon, and now I'm all caught up! Love Casey's running outfit. She is too adorable! Glad the grandparents got to experience Disney with a grandchild! Those photos will be treasured forever. Looking forward to the rest!
Hi Teresa!!!!! Hope you've been well and as always glad you are here.

It was definitely priceless to have the grandparents with us and we got some great pictures. I made them a book of all our trip adventures that they really seem to love. Definitely those memories we'll treasure.

Yeah, if I remember right you didn't even meet any characters did you????? I think if our sticky bun had been good it would have made everything else better, but I was so down on that the poor potato barrels never stood a chance.

We met Chip and Dale but Mickey and Pluto blew us off :charac2: We were pretty much the last breakfast seating and apparently they were starving and anxious for their lunch break, so they accidentally skipped us......we got that "golden" FP to character spot but I didn't get my picture with an overall-clad Mickey. That's the real reason we're going back, Christopher is just my cover ;)

Give Me Liberty Or Give me Ooey Gooey Cake

Despite all our drinking and sugar filled exploits from the night before we were up and at em fairly early for a day in MK!

After a ride through a treacherous jungle, we took a leisurely boat through the deep south...

...Met a couple of toys who had apparently escaped from their toy box...

...Before rounding out the morning on the wildest ride in the West

After all of that it was time for some grub, so to Liberty Tree Tavern we went!!!! To start with we went with what I thought was a new menu item (or at least new to us) Sweet Corn Fritters with house-made pepper jelly.

Oh my, these were so good. The fritters were crispy on the outside and nice and light and sweet on the inside. And the pepper jelly added just the right amount of heat. They were the perfect sweet and spicy combo and I'm sure we'll be eating more on our next trip (which is in like 27 days not that I'm counting).

For entree's Casey was in the mood for soup so she went with the kids Chicken Noodle.

I continue to be amazed that Disney's kids soups aren't canned and are really made from scratch. This one was no exception and was loaded with noodles and chicken. It was a little low on the broth, but she seemed to enjoy that.

Jason went with the Liberty Boys Sandwich.

This is Slow-roasted Pork, Arugula, and Tomatoes on House-made Bread with Caramelized Shallots, Pickled Jalapeños and a Mushroom-Mayonnaise. I obviously stayed away for the obvious mushroom reasons, but he loved this. The pork was tender and it had a good amount of arugula and a nice flavor from the mushrooms (yuck). Unlike The Plaza these were the steak fries we were accustomed to and oh so good!

Trying to eat lighter knowing we had a date with some steak that night, I went with the Colony Salad (which they split for me to share with Casey, so note this is only half of a huge salad).

This is billed as Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, Dried Cranberries tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette. I've had this salad before and always enjoyed it, though I continue to be perplexed that Disney categorizes "field greens" as iceberg and romaine lettuce. I guess technically they are green and come from fields, but I'm much more of a spring mix kinda girl which is what field greens usually means. Oh well. The rest of the salad was great though, with moist and well seasoned chicken, delicious apples, and a sweet and vinegary dressing.

For dessert I'm really not sure why anything else is on the menu because this beauty should be on everyone's ordering list.

Meet the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, Vanilla Cake with a Gooey Toffee Filling, Caramel Sauce, and Vanilla Ice Cream. There really are no words to describe this other than ooey, gooey, and perfection. We were happy customers.

As usual we lover our LTT lunch. Casey even requested to come back for dinner just so we could have more ooey gooey cake. Plus its not much more than counter service Lunch for the 3 of us was only $53 (we saved $18 with tables in wonderland), which for a sit down meal with an appetizer and dessert I think is a heck of a deal.

After lunch we hung out with a mouse, duck, bear, mermaid, and a couple of Norweigan lasses

Before headed to the pool for a few hours before dinner.

Up next, may the steak force be with us ...

We met Chip and Dale but Mickey and Pluto blew us off :charac2: We were pretty much the last breakfast seating and apparently they were starving and anxious for their lunch break, so they accidentally skipped us......we got that "golden" FP to character spot but I didn't get my picture with an overall-clad Mickey. That's the real reason we're going back, Christopher is just my cover ;)
If Casey was yours for the day I can only fathom the princess things you'd do with her as your "cover" :D

Oh my, these were so good. The fritters were crispy on the outside and nice and light and sweet on the inside. And the pepper jelly added just the right amount of heat. They were the perfect sweet and spicy combo and I'm sure we'll be eating more on our next trip (which is in like 27 days not that I'm counting).
Those look good. What kind of sauce are the fritters sitting in?

As usual we lover our LTT lunch. Casey even requested to come back for dinner just so we could have more ooey gooey cake. Plus its not much more than counter service Lunch for the 3 of us was only $53 (we saved $18 with tables in wonderland), which for a sit down meal with an appetizer and dessert I think is a heck of a deal.
We eat lunch at LLT every trip. It really isn't much more than a counter service meal with TiW, and it is a lot tastier than a counter service meal. :) DH and I have been splitting an entree so that we have room for the Ooey Gooey dessert. Their splits are very generous, too.

That salad description sounds wonderful! And the cake...my mouth might be watering just a tad. Yum! We've never eaten at LTT. I need to add it to the list. Probably not next trip, but eventually. Not that I need one, but another reason to keep going back!

One of these days I'll get the toffee cake! This just keeps not being on our radar for lunch when BOG and CHH are options as well. All your reviews are stellar as always, even though I'm extremely behind on all my comments.

Your LTT review just convinced me to order the corn fritters (Do we really need an appetizer? Turns out the answer's yes :laughing:) and the Liberty Boys sandwich (was torn between this and the pot roast) when we're there in a few months. The Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is a no brainer! And you're right...$53 for that meal is a steal.

Casey is adorable :goodvibes:cutie:

Oooh your meal sounded great, I can't wait to finally try the Ooey Gooey Toffee cake next month :goodvibes

As always, I'm loving your reviews. This time I took quite a few mental notes: onion rings at Flame Tree, that wine at California Grill, and the Sicilian drink at Citricos. YUM!! Love the pics of Casey with Chip and Dale SO cute. I have very fond memories of that restaurant from back in the day (can't remember what it was called) and would love to go back for nostalgia but the menu just doesn't appeal to me.

After a ride through a treacherous jungle, we took a leisurely boat through the deep south...

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

(laughing at Jason, not you by the way. and also the contrast between the two of you in this pic)

note this is only half of a huge salad).

Looks like a great and deliciious salad but is that seriously HALF??????????????
That must be one heck of a huge salad!

For dessert I'm really not sure why anything else is on the menu because this beauty should be on everyone's ordering list.

BoG won out this past trip for obvious reasons but next time there is NO WAY I'm passing this baby up!

As usual playing catch up, and as usual i need to go eat something after reading those reviews! YUM!

Casey is hysterical, shop every day 2 kids :rotfl2:!

I have never dried Garden Grill, but every time i have it booked I drop it for something else... I still think i will try it one day, i like the idea of the rotating restaurant... no idea why (i know why i am actually a 5 year old stuck in this body), but i think i am even in less of a rush now.

Liberty Tree Tavern, is one i have also never tried (or I should say don't remember trying it is very possible i ate there when i was younger), but it always looks good, but I tend to do quick service for lunch and i don't know why but LTT doesn't scream dinner to me....

Fabulous updates Kari! I've been at my cottage in PEI for the last three weeks with no Wifi so am just getting caught up. Love Flame Tree, that chicken looked out of this world. I am doing California Grill for dinner and that Alaskan Halibut is calling my name. I wonder if they would serve it with an alternate vinaigrette as I am sadly allergic to tree nuts. Sorry to hear Garden Grill didn't wow you. I have that planned for my trip as well as I love Chip and Dale and my boys refuse to do character meals anymore. I have to agree with you on Citricos, we have eaten there twice and it just isn't as the same level as the other signatures. For the money, I would rather go to Narcoosees or Artists Point. Loving those fritters at Liberty Tree too..... so many items to try!

I am definitely doing MK on my last day (25th) and am planning to do RD and have FP planned as well before lunch. Hopefully we will be able to connect!

Those look good. What kind of sauce are the fritters sitting in?
They were oh so good. If I remember right i think they were just sitting on some creamed corn, but don't quote me on that :-)

We eat lunch at LLT every trip. It really isn't much more than a counter service meal with TiW, and it is a lot tastier than a counter service meal. :) DH and I have been splitting an entree so that we have room for the Ooey Gooey dessert. Their splits are very generous, too.
We are the same way with liberty. It and the plaza both are pretty darn good values, especially with the TiW card. I learned the hard way on splitting meals. Think I had a burger or something one time and was too full for dessert. Haven't fallen for that trick again :P

That salad description sounds wonderful! And the cake...my mouth might be watering just a tad. Yum! We've never eaten at LTT. I need to add it to the list. Probably not next trip, but eventually. Not that I need one, but another reason to keep going back!
You should definitely check it out sometime. It's the perfect lunch spot and really fairly economical. Plus its like you're eating lunch with George Washington or something equally historic :laundy: (my best take at a "historic" emjoi)

One of these days I'll get the toffee cake! This just keeps not being on our radar for lunch when BOG and CHH are options as well. All your reviews are stellar as always, even though I'm extremely behind on all my comments.
How have you and all your Disney trips not have ooey gooey cake. You must hop in the car and correct this at once Lindsey :car:

Your LTT review just convinced me to order the corn fritters (Do we really need an appetizer? Turns out the answer's yes :laughing:) and the Liberty Boys sandwich (was torn between this and the pot roast) when we're there in a few months. The Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is a no brainer! And you're right...$53 for that meal is a steal.

Casey is adorable :goodvibes:cutie:
I love it when the answer to everything is Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! Corn fritters (check), Sandwich with yucky mushrooms (check), and no brainer ooey gooey cake (check, check, and check). Hope you enjoy! When are you headed to the world?

Oooh your meal sounded great, I can't wait to finally try the Ooey Gooey Toffee cake next month :goodvibes
I can't believe you've never tried the ooey gooey cake!!!! It's the one and only reason I even went to liberty tree to begin with. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

As always, I'm loving your reviews. This time I took quite a few mental notes: onion rings at Flame Tree, that wine at California Grill, and the Sicilian drink at Citricos. YUM!! Love the pics of Casey with Chip and Dale SO cute. I have very fond memories of that restaurant from back in the day (can't remember what it was called) and would love to go back for nostalgia but the menu just doesn't appeal to me.
It sounds like you got all the mental notes right and with it a very nutritious dinner (onions, grapes, and lemon is totally healthy, right?)

I don't even remember it from back in the day. Besides The Land ride, I remember them having a kitchen cabaret show but don't recall food. Of course I also had the parents who would cart sandwiches into the park.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

(laughing at Jason, not you by the way. and also the contrast between the two of you in this pic)
Oh I'd be totally laughing at me, as I never have a clue where the camera is, always make some sort of ridiculous face and this of course is the antithesis of my camera loving, always know where they are hubby :P

Looks like a great and deliciious salad but is that seriously HALF??????????????
That must be one heck of a huge salad!
Yep, that is indeed half. It's a pretty big salad.

BoG won out this past trip for obvious reasons but next time there is NO WAY I'm passing this baby up!
Definitely don't pass it up. No dessert at BoG is even in the same :rolleyes1.

As usual playing catch up, and as usual i need to go eat something after reading those reviews! YUM!
Hey there stranger :wave2: (totally in an emoji mood tonight). Hope you all are having a great summer. Can't fathom how big your daughter must be by now.

I have never dried Garden Grill, but every time i have it booked I drop it for something else... I still think i will try it one day, i like the idea of the rotating restaurant... no idea why (i know why i am actually a 5 year old stuck in this body), but i think i am even in less of a rush now.
I think most people like GG, we just had an off day. And I'm totally with you on the rotating restaurant. So cool right????

Liberty Tree Tavern, is one i have also never tried (or I should say don't remember trying it is very possible i ate there when i was younger), but it always looks good, but I tend to do quick service for lunch and i don't know why but LTT doesn't scream dinner to me....
The dinner certainly doesn't scream to me either. I like thanksgiving dinner and all but prefer it to actually be on thanksgiving. While your daughter is still young, you may want to give it a whirl. Presuming you can just share with her like Casey and I do, you'd really only be paying for 2 and the cost to eat a nice meal in a sit down restaurant isn't that much more that CS. :rolleyes:

Fabulous updates Kari! I've been at my cottage in PEI for the last three weeks with no Wifi so am just getting caught up. Love Flame Tree, that chicken looked out of this world. I am doing California Grill for dinner and that Alaskan Halibut is calling my name. I wonder if they would serve it with an alternate vinaigrette as I am sadly allergic to tree nuts. Sorry to hear Garden Grill didn't wow you. I have that planned for my trip as well as I love Chip and Dale and my boys refuse to do character meals anymore. I have to agree with you on Citricos, we have eaten there twice and it just isn't as the same level as the other signatures. For the money, I would rather go to Narcoosees or Artists Point. Loving those fritters at Liberty Tree too..... so many items to try!
Thanks Susan! I've been wondering where you have been. 3 weeks in PEI sounds like a dream, though I'm not sure I could survive without the Wifi. I complain when I'm without it for a weekend at my inlaws.

Definitely get the Halibut when you do CG. I'm sure they could sub something in for the sauce if you can't have it. Is this your birthday dinner????

What meal are you doing at GG???? If its breakfast be sure to go early (and tell Chip and Dale Casey says hi)

We are definitely mind melded on Citricos. I"m sure we won't go back this trip. But then again I have next to no dinner ADRs made (like only 1 for 10 day) so the ADR availability gods may just force us back again. #DisneyProblems

I am definitely doing MK on my last day (25th) and am planning to do RD and have FP planned as well before lunch. Hopefully we will be able to connect!
I certainly hope so. I'll PM you my email so we can figure something out.

We are trying LTT for lunch in August, so very nice to see your review, I want the dessert more than anything. It is right up my alley for sure, when something is named ooey, gooey what is not to like. Do you think the entrees are shareable with an appetizer and dessert? We usually share so we can order more things. I hope to meet you at the dessert party, should be fun!

You should definitely check it out sometime. It's the perfect lunch spot and really fairly economical. Plus its like you're eating lunch with George Washington or something equally historic :laundy: (my best take at a "historic" emjoi)
My DH, the American history buff, would love it. Oh and lol on the "historic" emoji!

Hey there stranger :wave2: (totally in an emoji mood tonight). Hope you all are having a great summer. Can't fathom how big your daughter must be by now.

It's insane, she is a little person now! I need to wrap up my never ending TR, and post a short RL update too. We leave for DL in a few weeks so I will have a TR for that when we get back!

. So cool right????

I must try it just for that!

The dinner certainly doesn't scream to me either. I like thanksgiving dinner and all but prefer it to actually be on thanksgiving. While your daughter is still young, you may want to give it a whirl. Presuming you can just share with her like Casey and I do, you'd really only be paying for 2 and the cost to eat a nice meal in a sit down restaurant isn't that much more that CS. :rolleyes:

Welllll currently DD is in a it's mine phase but hopefully this will change soon.....but I really want the desert so will try it sometime....

I love it when the answer to everything is Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! Corn fritters (check), Sandwich with yucky mushrooms (check), and no brainer ooey gooey cake (check, check, and check). Hope you enjoy! When are you headed to the world?
We'll be there November 15-24 and staying at CSR (doing three nights at Universal's HRH before that). This trip has been in the plans for about a year now. It can't come fast enough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter