9 yr old eating adult meals

colesmomndad

Earning My Ears
I am new to the boards, and I am planning our first family vacation at WDW. My son is about to turn 9, but looks about 10 or older. He likes steak and ribs, not so much chicken nuggets. I honestly do not think the kid's meals will be enough food for him. We are doing the Dining Plan and my question with this is, can I pay for him as if he were 10 so he can eat off the adult menu? I priced it and it doesn't add too much to our price as far as his tickets and things go. Thanks for your help!

1) You can pay for an adult dining plan for him.
2) Then have to buy an adult park pass for him. *
3) Weigh the costs and take the best bet.
4) But, buying an adult ticket is not that much more.

* Unless things have changed.

If you have a nine year old on DDP and you want him to eat adult meals, there are two things you can do.

You can register him as 10 years old and buy the adult plan for him. Rusty is correct that if you are on a package reservation with tickets and you take this option, you will need to buy him an adult park ticket, because he is registered as being 10 years old. It sounds like you are up on this. There have been a few instances of reservations CMs refusing to do this, so if you get one that refuses, call back and talk to someone else.

You can switch meals with him - an adult can eat the children's menu meal and he can eat the adult meal.

Otherwise, if he's on the child's dining plan he will need to order from the children's menu. You can stick to the few CS restaurants that have no children's menu, or to buffets/family style all you can eat restaurants, where everybody gets the same choices.

Your answers address having the DDP on tickets on a package plan. However, If you are DVC and are adding the DDP, then could you just tell Member Services that you want him as an adult on the plan, since you don't have tickets involved?

The OP didn't say anything about being DVC, so it's not likely they are on a DVC reservation since it's their first time, but yes, if you are on a DVC reservation you need only register the child as 10 years old and buy the tickets elsewhere. Same for guests on ticketless packages (AP holders, miltary room discount).

Thanks for the answers! I am just gonna pay the extra for him as an adult. I did the math and it seems it will not cost a huge amount more to do so. thanks again!
:)

I did the same thing, my son will be 9 1/2 when we go, and I know he will not be interested in any of the kids meals, so I upgraded him to 10 y/o. Have a great trip!

I have just called and asked reservations to change my twins ages to 10 so they can have the adult plan and was told NO WAY will they do this! I'm so upset as my other son 10 will have the plan and the 8 your old twins will not want the child plan ( they can't stand kids meals)

I have just called and asked reservations to change my twins ages to 10 so they can have the adult plan and was told NO WAY will they do this! I'm so upset as my other son 10 will have the plan and the 8 your old twins will not want the child plan ( they can't stand kids meals)

Call back and talk to another agent. I can think of no reason that they would not allow this (unless maybe free dining?). Maybe the agent did not understand what you were asking for. I would say " I am calling to update the ages of my children from 8 to 10. I understand that there will be a price increase and I am more than willing to pay this. " After they do it verify, by calling back that the changes were properly made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter