9 Night Greek Isles cruise on the Disney Magic! Updated 8/24 with Day 5 :)

Greece is a great place to visit...I haven't been there since the late 90's when I was deployed to Thessaloniki.

Jill in CO

Will be following along closely! While we are not bound for Greece, we are bound for the Magic next year. (First timers here!) I am enjoying seeing some of the pics on the ship!

Today the Disney Magic docked in Athens, Greece! This was the port I'd most been looking forward to before we even set sail. While it ended up being one of my least favorites it was still amazing. And I have the photos to prove it!

This morning started early with our port excursion leaving at 8:15am. After meeting in Promenade Lounge with our group we quickly headed off the ship and on to our bus. This morning we were going to take a bus tour of the city of Athens (with a quick drive through the port city of Piraeus) before a guided tour of the Acropolis of Athens, home of the Parthenon.

Unfortunately I was not able to take many pictures through the city of Athens on the bus, so you'll have to trust me that the buildings and monuments of ancient Athens mixed in with the modern ones was really a site to see! We saw: the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's Arch (which separates the old and the new Roman towns), the National Gardens, the Parliament building (formerly the Royal Palace), the Academy, the first University and the National Library of Athens. We also stopped and got out at the Panathenaic Stadium, home of the first modern Olympic games in 1896!

We finally made it to the Acropolis to start our guided tour. It was CROWDED. Really, really, crowded. This is not a surprise as the Acropolis is one of the most incredible sights in all of Greece, and it is tourist season!

Parthenon from the base of the Acropolis
The Parthenon, which is a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena, was completed in 432 BC. There is currently a selective restoration project going on, which is why you'll see some scaffolding and construction equipment in the photos!

The Theater of Dionysus:

View from the Acropolis:

It was REALLY hard to drag me from the Acropolis, but it was time to grab our bus back to the boat.

Once we got back on the boat we realized we were really hungry! So we decided to check out Pete's Boiler Bites, one of the quick service restaurants on the boat. Brent got the day's special, a Philly Cheese steak and I got a fish sandwich.

In short, we were not impressed and wouldn't return to a quick service location for the rest of our trip, though we heard some amazing things about the wraps, salads and fresh fruit at Daisy's De-Lites!

Continuing our tradition of reading on our balcony and naps, we went back to our stateroom for a few hours, and were able to catch this amazing sunset over the Greek coastline. It was a moment that took our breath away.

Tonight's dinner was the most anticipated, Palo! I had been to Palo on my previous cruise and couldn't wait to bring my husband there. I was right, he loved it!

Every dinner starts with the antipasto and garlic pizza/breadsticks:

And what a way to start the meal! Delicious. Up next, appetizers. I got the calamari (a dish I'd been dreaming of since January!) and Brent ordered the Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese. They were both amazing.

Between the appetizers and the main course we were given a palate cleanser of sorbet! Classy touch.

For the main course I ordered the wild mushroom risotto and Brent chose the steak. I really don't think we can overstate how wonderful this meal was. Every last bite was cleared from our plates and left us wanting more, even though we were totally stuffed!

For dessert there was no other option for us than the famous Palo chocolate souffle (there ARE other options, just not for us ;) ), which was the perfect way to end our perfect meal.

Yes we did each get our own, but I only photographed one of them. I might have been too busy eating the other!

Following dinner we headed back to our room to find the most adorable towel animals of our trip, the swans!

It was the perfect night for the swans after our romantic dinner at Palo.

Up next, our surprisingly awesome day in Kusadasi, Turkey!

We accidentally went to Piraeus once. We got on what was supposed to be a 4 hour ferry from Patmos back to Kos. After 4 hours, there was no land in sight. Come to find out that we were on the wrong ferry (even though they had checked our tickets when boarding!), and we were stuck for 12 hours to Piraeus! :eek:

The worst part was being too broke to get off the boat in Athens. We'd have had to buy new tickets, which we didn't have the money for. We had to settle for a itty bitty distant view of the acropolis. Your view was much nicer, and so was your boat! :goodvibes

Oh, and then we sailed another 12 hours overnight back to Kos, during which I slipped on a wet spot and fell flat on my back. :sad2:

I'm thinking that your memories of Greece are probably better than mine! :rotfl:

I'm enjoying reading ur trip report!! Can't wait for more!! We will be on the Magic at the end of November!! Can't wait for that either!!!! :cloud9::cheer2::hourglass

Our one Turkish port was the one I knew least about before heading on this Mediterranean adventure, but it ended up being one of my very favorite days of the entire trip!

We pulled into the gorgeous port town of Kusadasi early in the morning.

We were greeted by traditional Turkish dancers and music, what an awesome touch! And check out the view of the Disney Magic in the windows of the port building :)

Like the previous two days we again boarded a bus to our destination, this time to the ancient Greek city of Ephesus, Turkey. Our tour guide this day was extremely knowledgable and loved sharing the history of her homeland with us!

Ancient terra cotta water pipes:

We learned (first hand!) that the marble ground was very slippery, even when not wet. This was their solution... pretty smart!

There were lots of feral cats in Ephesus.

This is the gate into Ephesus, with my husband so helpfully modeling the distance between posts ;) The gate was made wide enough for people and animals to walk through, but not chariots. Security!

Isn’t it gorgeous?

The Library of Celus, built in 135AD:

Our tour guide showing us where criminals would be handcuffed, right in the center of town for maximum embarrassment. Apparently it worked really well to deter people from committing crimes!

The theatre at Ephesus, able to seat 25,000 people, this theater is still functional and has been used even recently for concerts. The acoustics are such that a person can stand at the bottom and speak in normal tones, yet the people even in the last row would be able to hear just fine.

After our visit to Ephesus we were scheduled to go to a Turkish water park! I know, I know, we could easily do a water park at home. But this was so much fun! And a great way to wind down and cool off after hours out in the sun that morning.

We particularly enjoyed the lazy river:

We spent a few hours at the water park, and grabbed a quick lunch (just burgers… yes in Turkey!) before it was time to get back on the bus. Our tour guide told us the next part of the excursion was an optional trip to a carpet making shop. Brent and I were pretty concerned that this was going to be a hard sell type of place, and we didn’t really want to go. Our tour guide assured us that she just wanted to be able to share more of her culture with us, and she’d really like for us to give it a shot. I am SO glad we went.

We were lead into a room upstairs in the shop and offered something to eat and drink. I had cold apple tea (it was delicious!) and Brent had Turkish coffee. We were able to see the process of making carpets, and man, as expensive as they are they’re worth every penny! Such hard work, but such a beautiful product.

After stomping around (encouraged!) on some carpets Brent and I decided it was time to head back to the boat, since we wanted to stop at the Duty Free stop in port before sail away. Our hosts at the carpet shop said goodbye, and we told them we were so glad we were able to come and witness more of the Turkish culture. I’m so happy we didn’t skip out on it.

Walking back to the boat:

I finally got a picture of something I’d been meaning to share with you since our very first port day! Today these stations were set up outside, but the other days they were just inside, past security. We were offered cold glasses of water or lemonade, and cold wet towels for our neck and head. Such a nice touch, I think! Both the drink and the towel were welcome after all that time out in the hot sun.

On our way back to our stateroom to watch sail away from our balcony we stopped at Cove cafe for iced coffees to enjoy on our verandah.

We were sad to see Kusadasi go! What a lovely place. My husband has now decided a return trip to Turkey is in order. I say only if it’s on another Disney Cruise ;) Sailing to our next destination we followed the coastline very closely! It was amazing to see the scenery as we sailed past.

We soon decided on pre-dinner drinks at O’Gills pub. I was saving my appetite for dinner but Brent enjoyed the snack buffet. There was cheese and crackers, veggies, nachos, meat pies and more.

Yes, I did order a margarita at an Irish bar ;)

Dinner tonight was again in Animator’s Palate, with the Prince and Princess Menu. Not only that, but it was animation night! Everyone received a template to draw their character, like this:

I chose to draw a cat! I don’t know why, I’m not an artist. My husband made Iron Man and his was much better… so I’m not posting it here ;)

Special napkins for Prince and Princess night!

I honestly have no idea what either of these appetizers were. But I’m sure they were delicious!

For dinner I had the Roasted Portobello Mushroom Triangoli Pasta:

And Brent had the Peppercorn Crusted NY Strip:

After dinner but before dessert we were treated to an animation show, with all of our characters! It was really cute. They danced and twirled and it was just really cool seeing our creations come to life. Disney magic on the Disney Magic!

They even put our names up on screen:

Then desert was served. Brent and I both got the Princess Jasmine Banana Bread Pudding:

And then we got our drawings back, with an official guest animator sticker!

Today was a long and exhausting but amazing day. So back to bed we went, where we were greeted by a scorpion towel animal… and the realization that our vacation was already half over!

Ephesus is pretty amazing, isn't it? We visited there in 2005. :)

I LOVED it! It was such a surprise. I'm also glad we visited there after Olympia and Athens, because I feel like I might have been disappointed with those if we'd done Ephesus before. It's just so extensive!

I'm a little late to the party but at least there's half of the cruise left. I'm really enjoying reading along on your journey.

This is great! I love reading about your trip and seeing all the pics! I am going on my first DCL cruise in May 2015 on the DVC Member Cruise to Alaska. Going with my aunt and mother as an adult girls trip (I am 28 also). So excited! Thanks for sharing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter