9 Days to go and now this

JenC025

Mouseketeer
Well my mom calls up and says You know what We want want to go too!!! So, I spent the day trying to add 3 people to our same filights to and from home and BOTH our hotels (since we are doing a split vacation) And LUCKILY I was able to get it all.
This will be our first all together family vacation. :cool1: I almost cried when she said they'd go. My mom has some health problems and usually doesn't want to go far but I told her you can rent a wheelchair and we can work around her problems so we can all go together. This is truly a Disney dream come true! :grouphug:
:bounce: :Pinkbounc

That is awesome ~ we have done a few trips with grandparents and extended family and it is wonderful memories! :goodvibes Enjoy and there is no better place for someone in a wheelchair than Disney ~ they are so accommodating.

Have Fun!!!! party:

Teresa

That is wonderful news! we did a family vacation in 2004 and i am so glad we did! not long after that my sister died from lung cancer. i have such fond memories from that trip!

we'll be there at the same time! have a great time!

Congrat! :thumbsup2 I'm going through the same thing right now. We're planning our trip for next year and I could just as easily get 2 rooms as find somewhere to fit all 5 of us for close to the same cost and add packages on for my parents if only they'd agree to go!

Both of them have some health problems that would make a lot of walking around hard for them but WDW can accomodate them. They just wont do it. They wouldn't have to pay for a thing yet they still wont go. I'm hoping that sometime in the next year they get sprinkled with some of that pixie dust and tell me they'll go.

That is great I have asked my parents to go our last 3 trips my dad always makes up an excuse (his knee, his neck, his toe) We told them we would cover tickets, transportation and room all they would have to pay for is their meals. Still No! So enjoy it! I'm sure it will be one you always remember!

Before our last trip, my DH pulled his back. We went anyway and just loaded him in a wheel chair and wheeled him around WDW for the week. :thumbsup2 Many of the rides have separate entrances for those in wheelchairs -- so we ended up passing our fastpasses on to others (much to their suprise and thankfulness). Have a great time!

JenC025 said:
Well my mom calls up and says You know what We want want to go too!!! So, I spent the day trying to add 3 people to our same filights to and from home and BOTH our hotels (since we are doing a split vacation) And LUCKILY I was able to get it all.
This will be our first all together family vacation. :cool1: I almost cried when she said they'd go. My mom has some health problems and usually doesn't want to go far but I told her you can rent a wheelchair and we can work around her problems so we can all go together. This is truly a Disney dream come true! :grouphug:

Sounds like pixie dust to me!!

How wonderful for you! We took my dear Mother-in-Law in January, opted for whats called a companion chair.....it lighter, easier to manover...it doesn't have those big wheels! She can walk a little, but not much, so this was the easiest way to get her around....easy to fold and carry getting on and off transportation! Have a wonderful, magical family vacation! Make sure you get lots of pictures to remember the trip by!

How wonderful for you! I'm so happy you were able to make a last minute mad dash and have it work out! :goodvibes

It's a funny thing when you're getting ready to leave for disney--everyone decides that they want to go too! :cool1:

Just to let you know if you are staying at a Disney resort hotel you can ask if they have a wheelchair available when you check in. Then you can have it for the duration of you stay at that hotel. My DH's gout flared up prior to our last trip and he couldn't walk. I asked at check in at the Wilderness Lodge and was given a wheelchair till we checked out. When we went to Epcot and AK he rented an ECV ($40 for the whole day) and we felt it was really worth it (lots of walking and pushing at Epcot and with AK lots of hilly, uneven terrain) at MK I pushed him in the Wilderness Lodge wheelchair and he did not go with me to MGM. Ask at guest services at the front of any park for brochures for the disabled for each of the parks. They will tell you more information on how to load for rides when in a wheelchair/ECV. Have fun on your trip!! Here's hoping lots of pixie dust falls on you and your family!!

TinksMagic54 said:
Before our last trip, my DH pulled his back. We went anyway and just loaded him in a wheel chair and wheeled him around WDW for the week. :thumbsup2 Many of the rides have separate entrances for those in wheelchairs -- so we ended up passing our fastpasses on to others (much to their suprise and thankfulness). Have a great time!
I just wanted ot point out not to expect separate wheelchair entrances/lines.
AK and the Studio were built with what is called "Mainstream Lines" that are wheelchair accessible. Someone using a wheelchair or ECV will wait in the regular lines with everyone else at most of the attractions at those parks.
Epcot and MK were built earlier (before wheelchair access was required as it is now). Newer attractions at both of those parks are mostly Mainstream Access. Lines for some of the older attractions could not be made totally wheelchair accessible, so some of them have an alternate access.

Most people find that about 1/2 of attractions will take the same amount of time whether or not you are using a wheelchair or ECV; 1/4 will take less time (sometimes not much less) and 1/4 will take more time (sometimes a lot more).

If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board and then check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you can find a lot of information. THere is a link to the text of the official Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for each park and also information about all the ways to get a wheelchair or ECV (resorts, parks and outside vendors). Unless they have changed recently, you can't request a wheelchair form the resorts ahead of time (they are first come, first serve).
Here's what it says about resort wheelchairs in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities:
Resorts

Wheelchairs are available in limited numbers for Walt Disney World® Resort Guests at each Resort. Contact Guest Services or the Front Desk for assistance. A $315 deposit will be held on the Guest room account charged only if the wheelchair is not returned. Guests wishing to guarantee the use of a wheelchair throughout their stay should contact local area rental companies to make arrangements.

To the OP, have a great time! To be this close and have it all work out tells me its meant to be. A year ago at this time we were coordinating our own extended family trip to WDW with my frail, not too healthy mom. I think this is what Walt had in mind with his parks, to be enjoyed by all members of the family. Have fun! :sunny:

JenC025 said:

Outstanding!! :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter